Who are we?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Devalion
I have always wondered whether we have an actual purpose to be here. When I think of it, we make life better, or maybe worse (depending on what you believe), for the next generation. But why? Why actually are we put through love, hate, life and death? Is there really a reason? I suppose the reason of this thread to ask you guys what you think the point of life is........? And why we are put through so much, for nothing.

SeptemberRain
The point we go through all these things is to figure out our outcome. How we take our problems in life as in making the best of the worst or making the worst worse will tell how we will be rewarded in the afterlife.

Agent Elrond
we are who we are. we are what we become. I have no idea what I just said, it just sounds cool.

WindDancer
It comes down to the choices you make. If you feel you are making the right choices in life then prolly you feel confident. Safest thing to do is always ask for advise from others. Seek help, even when you don't need it. Life is about learning from each other. Then pass that learning onto others. I think that's how the we can define ourselves.

Royal_Knight
Each person has unlimited amount of possibillties here on earth...

Each person will find their purpose whatever it may be

Cyclops
Q: Why are we here?
A: Why not?

Fire
there is no reason for life it just happens

iluvpippin
couldnt of sayd it better myself! theres no reason 4 bein here...we just are!

Darth Revan
Yeah, I don't see why life has to have a "purpose". We evolved from lesser intelligent life forms and here we are.

Serif
We're a cosmic accident stick out tongue

Cyclops
A comsic accident? There is too much that is coincidental in the world to explain our existance as an accident. For example the constant flow of CO2 and O2 between plants and animals.

Things such as this are too perfect to be an accident.

Darth Revan
It's not like there was a destination planned beforehand that everything was working towards. Plants came before animals, and they gave out a lot of oxygen, so it made sense for us to breathe the oxygen. If we had to evolve again we might have gills or not need to breathe at all. It's just that things worked out the way they did because of what was already there. The moon started rotating the earth because of Earth's gravitational pull. Plants evolved photosynthesis because it was a handy way of making energy. Humans started growing carrots to eat because they tasted good. Courtney Love is insane because she does drugs. See what I mean? It's not like there's point A and point B, and we HAVE to get from point A to point B, because that's the only way things will work. More like we start at point A, and go out in whatever direction strikes our fancy.

Cyclops
I have to disagree with everything except the Courtney Love thing. That is the emitamy of a psycho hose-beast.

I cannot see it being just a stroke of luck that we are here. The pieces of the puzzle fit together all to well for 'Chance.'

This is quickly becoming an Evolutionary coversation...

Raven Guardia
think of life as puzzle only your not born with all the pieces. its our job as we go through life to collect all the pieces. when we are done we get a completed puzzle.the puzzle is our life. each piece represents our goals our acomplishments even our learned failures. you see life is a lesson and a very important one at that. we may not know exactly why we are here but god has a reason for each and every one of us and an important one. we all help shape the world we live in whether it be in a positive or negative way. its a balanced society with out each and every person playing the role life as we know it would be very different. maybe the answers not always clear because its not suppose to be.

a quote by god is " I shall use the simple things of the world to confound the wise"

Fëanor
the difference between humans and animals is that humans think too much...take away all those intricate layers of thought, emotions and human imagination and you're left with nothing but instinct...then our reasons for being here would purely be survival....

silver_tears
I think we are just pawns, we are here to live out our life, to populate the earth.

However, on the bright side, every now and then one of us breaks out and astounds the world, these are the ones who leave their name for future generations, the scientists, the doctors, in a lesser degree the movie stars.

And not everyone is put through the same amount of suffering, love, hate, etc. I think we are just here to live our life, and see how much we can accomplish in the time we are given, and if we will be remembered once we are gone.

Warning....religious statement....Beware!
And also, some people say suffering brings you closer to God. Look at Job, an innocent man who suffered much during his life, yet he didn't blame anyone, he didn't blame his faith, he was close with God throughout. He took what he was handed and lived, and in the end ultimately rewarded.

So I think we are just here to live basically laughing out loud
There is no real meaning to life, it begins, it ends, some have it easier than others, but ultimately we all end up in the same place yes

jesusmonkey777
honestly i dont know i wish i had some idea.....maybe its just gods will if you even believe in god....to have life on earth to give us a chance at life before we enter heaven in the afterlife which is explained in its own wording AFTER life. no one knows what the purpose of living is and we have very little theory of why we die......which is a very weak but explained theory. we die to make room on earth for the ones to come. but i guess that doesnt answer the question either ....oh well g/l

crispycream
i've always pondered what is ones' purpose on this earth. Why were we as humans and individauls put on this earth? How come out of all the many million sperms we were the ones that made it into this earth. are we alive just to go through the cycle of birth and death and all the other things inbetween. What is our purpose of being alive?

soleran30
if your asking for an answer you need to look harder or ask a better question......

perhaps it should be to what purpose do you give yourself on this earth?

crispycream
is this question like too deep for people to attempt

kmcdude
At the moment I do not really have a purpose for life..........But what can I do about it? laughing out loud

debbiejo
For me Purpose is for experience and enjoyment.....You can almost see it as a play and choose your part....Would you do this, or that....It's more pleasurable when you look at it from that view.....It's a play, we are the cast.....Not we are the pawns....

Biscuit
your purpose is whatever u want it to be

Ikaru
your purpose is to die and feed the worms.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by crispycream
is this question like too deep for people to attempt

It's not too deep, just too broad. There are too many things not defined in your question, like what do you mean by purpose? Sometimes the easiest answer is because. What I mean is that the universe has cause and effect, so at some time in the past a cause was created whose effect is manifest in you and I existing.

Wonderer
The purpose of life is nothing else than finding an end to suffering, thereby realising the bliss of merely being.

crispycream
Originally posted by Ikaru
your purpose is to die and feed the worms.

that's great Ikaru! it makes me feel sooo reliefed to know the only reason i'm alive is so i can die and feed worms

Maleficus
The truest purpose we can have comes from ourselves. We can just sit and think about it though. If we spend all our time pondering about the purpose of our existence then the only purpose you will find is pondering. If you want to know the meaning of life then go live it. After all, the is no meaning to a life that isn't lived... Wow, that's pretty deep.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Maleficus
The truest purpose we can have comes from ourselves. We can just sit and think about it though. If we spend all our time pondering about the purpose of our existence then the only purpose you will find is pondering. If you want to know the meaning of life then go live it. After all, the is no meaning to a life that isn't lived... Wow, that's pretty deep.

And very true. The purpose of life is what you make it.

Atlantis001

Great Vengeance
We dont need a purpose, however if you want a purpose than make one. There may be something higher than this explanation I've given you but if so we arent capable of comprehending it.

debbiejo

Storm

Mindship
We are family /
I got all my sisters with me /
We are family /
Get up ev'rybody and sing

dancedancedance

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Devalion
I have always wondered whether we have an actual purpose to be here. When I think of it, we make life better, or maybe worse (depending on what you believe), for the next generation. But why? Why actually are we put through love, hate, life and death? Is there really a reason? I suppose the reason of this thread to ask you guys what you think the point of life is........? And why we are put through so much, for nothing.

Point in life is understanding the fact that you are not an independent being with a particular purpose. You make your own meaning.

Earth has made us, and the Universe made Earth. We are part of everything around us, not intependant beings on which all the rest depends or relies on.

Darth Grathius
Why are we here on earth, really what's the point?? Yea i've heard that life is just a test to get into heaven but i really don't buy that. Any other opinions??

lil bitchiness
I think asking that, should perhaps go all the way back to asking what is the purpose of Universe.

Why is the Universe here?

Because we are marely a part of the Universe. A product of its existance - so if we understood the purpose of Universe, we would be that step closer to understanding why we are here.

Alfheim
I think we are here to be happy, but as you know humans complicate things.

debbiejo
It could possibly be because we chose to be here for the experience.

Next time I'll chose a different one, this ones a little overwhelming, maybe I'll get extra brownie points

botankus
Originally posted by debbiejo
It could possibly be because we chose to be here for the experience.

Next time I'll chose a different one, this ones a little overwhelming, maybe I'll get extra brownie points

Next time choose an experience that doesn't include legal courts.

Shad0w_Frost
Originally posted by Royal_Knight
Each person has unlimited amount of possibillties here on earth...

Each person will find their purpose whatever it may be
Exactly.....we each have our own destinys _ but i dont mean destiny as in you dont control your life...I mean , Make your own destiny

Kayne Archeron
you are what you make yourself to be, simply put

redcaped
I'm sadness for the time being.

Kayne Archeron
i'm either boredom or hopeless romantic, for the most part

debbiejo
Originally posted by botankus
Next time choose an experience that doesn't include legal courts. I hear ya..........gets quite expensive...........

diamondshinobi
i've search for a purpose and found only one. to build a future. my parents did not do this thus i must work. but i will not make that same mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

because eventually we will all die .... and what we have in this life we cant take with us....but that doesnt mean be selfish.... so i will gain as much as i can from this world that way when i do die i can pass it on

office jesus
I keep waiting for JesusIsAlive to pop in on this thread and go on about God. Haha.

sammii
Its a question that know one can answer with real truth. Its set to be thought of and questioned by probably everyone of existence.

M.T. STYLE
where here to reproduce.

debbiejo
We are what we are, nothing more and nothing less. This is a wonderful gift.

Oncewhite
"I have always wondered whether we have an actual purpose to be here. When I think of it, we make life better, or maybe worse (depending on what you believe), for the next generation. But why? Why actually are we put through love, hate, life and death? Is there really a reason? I suppose the reason of this thread to ask you guys what you think the point of life is........? And why we are put through so much, for nothing"

Why? Well, in order to know why, you would have to know the rule or law first. Why do we have an ego? Well, many reasons, some Christians think that the flesh is what makes men fall, but I think differently. Angles falls and they aren't or weren't in the flesh, so it's in the soul or spirit. Why does the spirit feel love or loss, because of possession, we attach ownership with our emotions that is attached to our egos. Some think our life lessons are to decode these ego centric ideas via life-lessons in order to go back to God in a better form.

debbiejo
Here is something that I have read that I thought was quite fascinating though different. We weren't put here. We chose to be here. Why we did was because we wanted to experience everything. Knowing this before hand and remembering this would ruin the experience of it, as we would know and influence the outcome which we wanted to experience, defeating the whole purpose of these experiences that we chose in the first place. When we are done with this life experience we would go to where we came from and all memories of it would be such a learning and sharing experience. Then ..If we chose we could do it again in anyway way or form. But the choice is always ours to do it again or not. Some take more challenging experiences and some not. It may be that some may not because they thought the last one was quite horrific and wanted something a little more easy going.......ie slackers..lol,..but understandable....

Anyway, this is just a view that many people believe, and who knows...it may be true.....food for thought.

Oncewhite
We could be actors in a play, and someone in another deminsion get's to channel in and watch us if they want to laugh or cry.

Or, as one put it, "life is just a dream". This reality isn't "real" at all, but a dream and we are all in the same portal of it.

some think we create our path and destiny, others say it's already in front of us, I think it depends on your personality, if you like to think there is "order" in the world, then living a scripted life sounds good, but if you want control and are ok with possibilities, then having a blank page that you write as you go sounds better. It depends on who you are. Either way, it's all about what makes us happy.

debbiejo
Not only what makes you happy, but knowing that you make your own happiness too....If one comes from a place of "fear" then you will doubt what choice to make, what path to take, what decision to make. Always looking back and criticizing the choices you have made, when nothing can be done. Because what people fail to realize that you make choices based upon the information you had at the time and it was the best decision at that moment...If one realizes that all that has happened to you might be something that was preplanned, possibly, then one could rest better with that and know that there are reasons that we just may not know. If one is a control freak, then this would work against them, since nothing is all controllable, and if you try to THINK that you are in control of all circumstances and how others would relate or react to them, then one is in for a GREAT surprise... Because you can only control only YOU and how you would handle this or that. It is up to the individual if this or that makes one sad or happy. I believe that only YOU make your life. What lable you put on it is also YOU.

Storm
Purpose of life... it could indicate a choice we ourselves make for our personal life - a personal purpose' -, or it could mean that whether we agree with it or not, our life has a purpose, which is not chosen by us, but comes from elsewhere - an absolute purpose -.

Lord Urizen
Why does there need to be a reason ?

Many things in life occur spontaneously and randomly (unless you truly beleive that every little thing happens for some reason).

But if the former is the case, then why does our existance require a reason ?

Darth_Erebus2
We are a virus that has spread all over the planet and will eventually kill it.

The Black Ghost
The answer varies. In the bare scientific truth -there is no reason. We live because we do, because of atoms and evolution and all that. Religiously, if you are religious, you feel like you are part of a "body of life" so to speak, that you take your part in.

But life, human life, we must come up with our own purpose. There is no predefined "reason" for our existance minus the above -God's creation or scientific randomosity-. Past that, we must make our own good in the world, but we must use what knowledge and intelligence we are given to make our life what we want in a good way. Each person has their own "destiny" -that is, a self-invented goal or dream that they wish to acheive, or maybe several. I myself could argue that love/relationships are one, if not the most imporant reason of life, but I would only be speakling for myself. Everyone must have their own purpose. They have to realize it.

I am inspired to make a thread.

The Overmaster
Apparently, humanities purpose in life, today, is to spread and kill/tame anything that gets in its way. Thousands of years ago the purpose of humanities life was to spread and survive/prosper. Perhaps in the near if not far future, both purposes might combine when and if we strike out into space.

Spread. Survive. Kill.

WOW! Future humanity kicks arse!

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by The Overmaster
Apparently, humanities purpose in life, today, is to spread and kill/tame anything that gets in its way. Thousands of years ago the purpose of humanities life was to spread and survive/prosper. Perhaps in the near if not far future, both purposes might combine when and if we strike out into space.

Spread. Survive. Kill.

WOW! Future humanity kicks arse!

Im not sure if you think that is positive or not...but whatever.

As a SPECIES, that can be said for our actions, but it does not in all ways reflect the individual. Many beleive against are constant expansion and power, I included, though I realize our need for gradual continuation in these areas.

That however, does not explain the "purpose" of each person's life.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Nitya Lyuba

We are God's children. Nothing more-nothing less. A microcosm of creation in the grand scheme.

...to experience all that we possibly can before we truly "go home".

...at least that's how I see it anyway.

Good (deep) thread.

debbiejo
We are more then we are led to believe.

The Black Ghost
I was reading some science book about the numbers of nature or something...cool, but almost scary they have determined parallel universes and spacetime and time travel theories and different states of universal existance from numbers. Makes each person seem very small and pointless. I dont think its right to follow things directly according to something like that because there is somethign more than that.

svetlu
iHi, I"m a new member. Nice to meet you all. I like your discussian. smile smile

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by svetlu
iHi, I"m a new member. Nice to meet you all. I like your discussian. smile smile

Hey nice to meet you, good thread to post an introduction too...so who do you think we are?

svetlu
It is not accident! It is managing by Great Power in His purpose!
Be said: Against your will you are born, against your will do you live,and against your will you die. Who knows what we have to do to become perfect and rich this Goal? Can anybody answer me?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Devalion
I have always wondered whether we have an actual purpose to be here. When I think of it, we make life better, or maybe worse (depending on what you believe), for the next generation. But why? Why actually are we put through love, hate, life and death? Is there really a reason? I suppose the reason of this thread to ask you guys what you think the point of life is........? And why we are put through so much, for nothing. I believe there is no point to life.

Magee
Originally posted by svetlu
It is not accident! It is managing by Great Power in His purpose!
Be said: Against your will you are born, against your will do you live,and against your will you die. Who knows what we have to do to become perfect and rich this Goal? Can anybody answer me? Become perfect? Reach what goal exactly? The problem is humans think to much, most are weak and need some sort of faith/ purpose to carry on living life. We think that there is some grand scheme, purpose or goal to all of this but in reality we are born, live and die and our over active brains constantly ask the question why.

Mindship
At the very least...

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

debbiejo
Who are we?

I am he as you are he as you are me
and we are all together

vivando-loca
i myself have wondered this...and have yet to come up with an answer. *sits and contemplates*

it's a dismal thought, all this for nothing....

svetlu
To Magge.

I found very interesting book, in which autor explaines Who we are. The book is "Complete Idiot's Guide to Kabbalah" by M.Laitman. It is brand new book avalable in big stores.

inimalist
Originally posted by Mindship
At the very least...

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

ah carl sagan...

debbiejo
If we know how to love one another
then it won't really matter at all
Who we are.

leonheartmm
the only purpose that your life has is one you choose{or is chosen for you by people around you who can control or influence you} to impose on it.

having said that, looking from the perspective of the concepts that we embody and have potential for{i.e. self awareness, ego, love, hate, curiosity, desire}, the world is a potentially wonderful place with infinite possibilities and tons of relevant purpose and meaning which can be imposed on it.

its nothing to be sad about. usually people who feal they lack purpose are people with little human interaction or love around them, which makes them feal empty, this causes them to try to fill the void by trying to find sumthing that makes them forcibly follow a path.

we should infact be happy that we are not confined by an inborn PURPOSE, and make the most of life in ways which makes US feal the best. and those around us.

chithappens
gods.... teehee

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
I just want you to think (think). Think and when you are done thinking, think some more. Things of this sophistication and complexity, design, order, mathematically, scientifically, and coincidentally don't just happen.

Consciousness

Morality

Complex life

Complex language and communication

Order

Design

Laws

Intelligence

Rationality

Logic

Information

Organization

Mathematics

Science

The Brain

Instinct

Thought

Reason

Will

Intent

Not one of these is capable of arising by undirected, unplanned, undesigned, unintelligent, chance--from a violent explosion that happened for no reason or purpose.

Think.

What do explosions normally produce? No matter how many explosions are conducted the result will be the same.

Think.

Has there ever been an exception?

Think.

Why do organisms fight to survive? Why is there this need or tendency?

Think.

Why is life a reality instead of unreality? In other words, there is no reason to exist. So then why do we exist?

Think.

All this energy expended for life to exist and for what reason? Why? Why do we exist? What is in it for the universe? What does the universe get out of it?

Think.

All of this controversy, energy, discussion, time, effort, money, research, study, and education, trying to figure out how and why we exist--and for what? Why the need to be here as opposed to oblivion?

Does the universe have a will? Did it just have to exist? Did it just want to exist? Again, why? What is the reason or purpose? Why did an explosion occur in the first place?

Think.

Shakyamunison
Think about this: if everyone stopped believing in god, would god cease to exist?

Sado22
if you believe in collective unconsciousness then its very hard to believe that we are an "accident". there is a purpose to us all. we may not understand it but there is one.

we're getting there. a few years ago there was a site that showed the numbers of theists and atheists. there were 2.1 billion christians, 1.2 billiom muslims and 1.1 billion atheists/agnostics.

Groovy.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Sado22
if you believe in collective unconsciousness then its very hard to believe that we are an "accident". there is a purpose to us all. we may not understand it but there is one.

we're getting there. a few years ago there was a site that showed the numbers of theists and atheists. there were 2.1 billion christians, 1.2 billiom muslims and 1.1 billion atheists/agnostics.

Groovy.

**** you doing up here Sado, damn you must be bored.

Burning thought
just as much reason as any life in the universe, to live, reproduce, die and so on, and it will go on until our trivial excistence is swept aside on this planet and it happens again somewhere else and so on, until the big crunch or w/e.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Burning thought
just as much reason as any life in the universe, to live, reproduce, die and so on, and it will go on until our trivial excistence is swept aside on this planet and it happens again somewhere else and so on, until the big crunch or w/e.

But...why? Why life and not non-existence?

Sado22
dude, i just come on the comicbook section when I'm REALLY bored. personally, i prefer reading a book over sitting and arguing why Frank would pwn Wolverine any day in the week. besides, why be serious and sophisticated on a comicbook forum? laughing out loud

~Sado

Jack Daniels
agreed ...well said etc..keep spankin that redhead! love the avatar Sado!

JVposter
Originally posted by House of Jade

i think we re not put to love ...we just love it us decision not others

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.