USH'S MATRIX GAME FIFTH ASSIGNMENT (COMBAT PATH)- 'Payback'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
FULL ASSIGNMENT DETAILS

Assignment Name: Payback

Details: This is not a Zion briefing. This is Dallas' on the spot operation, and hs been implemented by Marduk

The attempt to heist Jericho's team and retrieve the codes has failed. Jericho and his team have now returned to Melitus' realm.

Your missing crewmates- the Philosophy Path- are captives of Melitus, and strange things are happening where they are.

For both of these reasons, it is imperative that Melitus' realm be stormed immediately. Jericho and this team must be eliminated, the codes recovered, and your teammates rescued.

The mission is indeed simple but there are several major complications.

In about 45 minutes, the sentinel sweep will come into close proximity to either the Percy or Shez. Uf the ships are forced to move, the lief expectancy of those still trapped in the Matrix will be measured in seconds.

Jericho's team is intact from your last attack on them, and are on home ground. Melitus can also beck up Jericho's forces with those of his own. Your last fight with the crew of the Bounty did not go well...

Your missing crewmates cannot be accessed by your own efforts. Whilst you can storm the factory, the entrance to Melitus realm- which you still do not fully understand- can only be opened from the inside. One of the Philosophy players will have to do this. This is out of your hands,m but you understand that they will be making some form of inteernal effort.

Worst of all, Melitus appears to be in continuous control of things, apparently with the same powers as the Oracle, and impervious to (or more accurately, unaffected by) physical harm. Melitus is your undefetable enemy.

However, you have little choice, and must achieve what you can. Jericho and his men can be theoreticaly overcome by fighting well, and maybe improving your tactics. Someone- specificically Hephaestus- from the Philosophy team will have to handle opening the door for you.

And you will have to be fast. Three of the Philosophy players- Rade, Castor and Azrael- are doomed. They are in a situation they cannot escape. They cannot win, only survive, and eventually they will be killed. They must live until rescued. How long that is... is up to YOU. So you must bear in mind, that the amount of sequences they are going to have to live, is equal to the amount of sequences it takes you to reach them. That might get rather tense.

As for Melitus... perhaps your one compensation is that, invulnerable while he may be, he;s rather limited in what he can DO. But it is hard to feel safe whilst he is around. Still... let's see what transpires.

Your one advantage- again, you have surprise. Jericho is not aware that Ariadne has broken Melitus' encryption that prevented you leaving the Matrix. They still think you guys are badly shot up. That gives you one edge again.

COMMENTS- by Marduk

"I would be lying if I pretended this mission had been going well. We have been betrayed and outplayed from the staret, and our chance to strike back, went badly. Well, that is war. They have not killed us yet, and as I am sure Dallas can tell you, before they have done that, we can just try again, and again and again and we STILL have a chance to make ths right. We are playing every advantage we have now. We have broken Melitus's encryption, and have veen been tracking his activiites inside his Realm. We have one shot now, one final shot, to break everyone out, get those damn codes we came for in the first place- and end the Jericho situation, forever.

"As before, we must remember that Jericho and his crew are traitors to Zion- even though we are not sure exactly what they have betrayed us to- and they will not hesitiate to kill you. Drop them first. As ever... if you CAN talk Medea round, do so. We can guarantee we will do the best to find where the Bounty is hidden and recover her physical form. Bear in mind that this offer will involve you guaranteeing Jericho's death, else he will still control her by being able to destroy her physical form. If she does not think you can do that, she has no choice. In the final analysis, don't get killed trying to talk her around.

"This is our last chance for payback- don't waste it."

SPECIAL RULES:

Combat Mission: This designation for an Assignment means it is a mission where no stealth or subtlety is in any way required. Therefore the Concealment rules will not be used- you may simply take as much gear as you can carry!

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT

USB key- Just as in the first Assignment, only this time, you need to take it FROM Jericho's team. The laptop is no good to you now- one of Jericho's team will have the USB device the info is on.

Unknown- There is a small piece of equipment, 0/0, that is a mystery, but one of you- preferably from the Shez- MUST carry it. No further details will be given at this time, but please nominate someone.

ESTIMATED DANGER LEVEL: Extreme. This mission is technically more dangerous than you can reasonably handle. Luckily (for you guys, anyway!) a lot of that risk is being shouldered by the doomed Philosophy guys. However, your part is still extremely dangerous.

TIPS:

Ok, same tips as last time, in that good planning will pay off. Of course, this is a bit more of a leap into the unknown, so you cannot plan meticulously. But let us hope, because you guys are quite experienced now, that you have got the vibe of the right way to do things this time.

Other than that... just give it your best shot.

Ushgarak
Loadout

It is five minutes before the mission started. You guys were in the Loadout room, selecting your weaponry before the big shooting match starts. Best hurry!

-

Here you may chose what you are, will be, or have taken into the Matrix whilst on Assignment

When you load up for this mission, you must worry about two things

1. How much you can hide (Bulk)
2. How much you can physically carry (Weight)

Everything you carry with you has a weight and bulk rating. If you go over weight, you start losing skill and speed. If you go over bulk, the fact that you are carrying fourteen tons of artillery with you may be noticed. If you are under bulk then your weapons will not be spotted except in a detailed search or security scanner.

The maximum amount of bulk you can carry is 14 points worth. This assumes you are wearing one of those huge trenchcoats. If you are not carrying much, you can chose to wear something slimmer. Trinity, for example, wears an outfit that cannot conceal a damn thing...

Do remember, though, that you only need to worry about bulk IF YOU INTEND TO CONCEAL THE OBJECT!

The amount of weight you can carry is three points more than your strength- so a strength 7 character can carry ten points of weight, a strength 10 character can carry 13 points worth, and so on.

Remember you must take account of these two separate numbers

Here are the bulk/weight numbers:

General

Shades: 0/0
Watch: 0/0
Wallet: 0/0
Mobile Phone: 0/0
Clip (pistol): 1/.5 (Glock 18- 2/1)
Clip (SMG): 2/1 (Ingrams- 1.5/1)
Clip (assault rifle/shotgun/sniper rifle): 3/2

Advanced Lightning Reload reduces the bulk of clips by .5.

Guns- with magazine loaded

Beretta 85FS .380 Security Pistol: 2/2
Glock 17: 3/2
Glock 18: 4/3
Sig-Saur P229: 4/4
.50 AE Desert Eagle: 5/4
Ingrams Mac 10: 4/3
HK MP5K: 6/5
Dlask Tactical Entry Shotgun: 9/6
HK MP5: 9/6
M16 Assault Rifle: 12/6
HK PSG-1: 12/8

Weaponry

Knife: 2/1
Nunchukas: 3/2
Staff: 12/4
Small staff (walking stick): 8/4
Spear: 15/4
Sword: 10/4
Axe: 9/5
Exotic (sais, hook swords etc.): 4/4
Throwing Knife: 2/1
Throwing Star: 1/.5

-

Note- remember this is a Combat Mission so ignore Bulk, only worry about Weight.

Once you are done, we can start!

Ushgarak
Note- I have uploaded, as best I can, everyone's new loadouts, but please do check. Mors and Cloud in particular may want to change things- some accounting issues meant I had to prune back Mors' skills to lower than he wanted, and Cloud has points spare, now his stats are in.

I won't allow changes once the fight starts, so make sure you are happy!

Bespin Bart
Mors enters the load-out, already clothed in his usual black trench coat, black shirt and pants, and red vest. He clips his rimless shades to his nose, then reaches for the weapons.

He grabs his usual katana, the hilt and scabbard black like his clothes, and a Glock 18.

(What are my MA and Guns totals?)

Ushgarak
Check out the Download area- right now they are 13/13

Captain REX
(That's crappy... stick out tongue)

(Does Bulk matter right now?)

Ushgarak
I think I said no...

Bespin Bart
Mors then picks up four extra Glock 18 clips.

He looks around at the crew of the Shez. Let's try to get through this without casualties... he thinks to himself.

Captain REX
"Don't forget your phone," Ares says, tossing one to Mors.

He is already wearing his dark gray trench coat, camo pants, and gray tank top, so he grabs his shades and cell phone, putting the shades on and sliding the phone into his pocket.

He cocks his MP5 then grabs seven more clips.

Tptmanno1
"Ready Ares?"
Burn Enters wearing his Leather trenchcoat and his dark sunglasses.
He pickes up his phone, wallet and Watch.
He walks over to the heavy weaponry.
"Hmm, I don't think the shotgun's gonna cut it this time around,so its time to break out the bad boy." Grabs M16. 4 M16 clips

Bespin Bart
Mors looks over at Burn. "We'll bring extra clips in the car, just in case..."

SpikeSpiegel
I'll just go and see wht I can spend my points on, but I'll take my usual. (wallet, watch, shades, phone, katana)

Ushgarak
Don't forget for someone to take the Mystery!

Marduk comes in over the line.

"I have one other order for you," he says. "It is an unsuaul one, but it is very important it is obeyed.

If, when you come across Rade, Azrael or Castor, they are acting oddly... kill them."

Captain REX
Ares raises an eyebrow. "Wha..."

Bespin Bart
Mors goes cold. "I am sure they will be fine once we get to them..." Mors says unconvincingly through his worry.

SpikeSpiegel
Cloud looks at Marduk, "You want us to kill our teammates and friends?"

Bespin Bart
(Do we know about the clones, Ush?)

"They'll be fine," he says quite firmly to Cloud. "There will be nothing wrong with them once we find them. We can save them."

SpikeSpiegel
"I hope you're right" Cloud says a bit uneasily

Ushgarak
"If the worst comes to the worst and you hesitate," says Marduk, "they might kill you first, Cloud. So be careful."

Tptmanno1
OK who's gonna take the mystery Item?
Perferably a good MA person. Im gonna nominate either Mors or Cloud.

Captain REX
Mors seems to get smacked down every mission, so... stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Then maybe it is his big moment? We had someone like that in our game, who went out in every mission (out against Zuban, again by the Agents at the CCC building, and shot up by Loomis in the Heist), who was determined to make this one his comeback.

(In case you are wandering, he lost out AGAIN to Khali... but I am sure Mors will do better!)

Tptmanno1
Plan though.
Our advantage is our operators. I say we avoid Jerico untill we free the others then hit him full force.

Ushgarak
Sorry, folks, not much time for planning., If you remember, you are already about to start fighting. I asked you to plan at the END of the last Assignment.

Tptmanno1
I said that last assingment but I was just re-iterating myself.

Ushgarak
Well, we have until TM gets back, anyway.

Captain REX
"Captain Marduk, why would they be acting weird?" Ares asks.

SpikeSpiegel
Well it should be Mors as he's on the Shez stick out tongue

Ushgarak
"It would be wrong of me to make assumptions that we cannot yet prove," says Marduk, "but the best way to put it is that it is not impossible they have defected."

Captain REX
"I see..." Ares replies. "Are we ready to do this thing?"

Trinity_Matrix
(ha! I'm back! And I have a working computer of my own that should have internet on it in only a matter of days!)

San grabs her usual cell phone and sunglasses, already in her normal outfit, and also takes one knife, two Glock 18s, and two spare clips.

Captain REX
"Ready, San?" Ares asks his friend from the Percy.

Trinity_Matrix
"Ready as always." San replies.

Captain REX
"I sure hope so, I don't feel like getting smacked down again. Watch my ass, okay?" Ares asks uneasily, his nose still crooked from the Agent's punch.

Tptmanno1
"At least you didnt get chopped to pieces!"

Captain REX
"Let's try to avoid you doing that again, shall we?"

"Captain Marduk, are you coming? We need you in there..."

Tptmanno1
"Yea lets."

Ushgarak
Marduk needs to operate the ship, just in case.

And we can start... as soon as someone volunteers to take the mystery object!

SpikeSpiegel
I volunteer Mors big grin

Bespin Bart
I accept, I'll carry it.

Ushgarak
Just as you were about to leave Loadout, Dallas jacks into the loadout room.

"Mors," he says, beckoning you over. "I have something important for you. It is vital you look after it."

He hands you a medium-sized envelope.

Tptmanno1
"Lets do this."

Ushgarak
You might want to know what to do with it first, it's rather important...

Tptmanno1
Well I don't know what it is and I'm assuming that I didn't See Mors get it.
Well why doesnt Mors open it

Bespin Bart
"What is it?" Mors asks, reaching to open it.

Ushgarak
"Don't open it!" says Dallas.

The envelope is marked

To Melitus

With Regards

From Dallas

"Whatever you do," says Dallas, "do NOT open it until you reach Melitus, got that?"

Bespin Bart
Mors pulls his hand back and tucks the envelope into his trench coat. "Either it's a birthday invitation, bills, a thank you note, or it's a way to get rid of Melitus, knowing you."

"We'll do our best, Captain."

(Has anyone seen the Outsiders or read the book? A character named Dallas gets emotionally deranged after his friend dies and shoots at the police with an empty gun...they shoot him...)

Tptmanno1
Nope.
I proabably should though.

Everyone ready to go?

Captain REX
Definitely.

Ushgarak
In that case, the operation is go!

Speed roll is a 6- big sequence for the first time!

(Note- to maintain continuity, your sequence speed rolls will be being mirrored in the Philosophy path, so the number of frames it takes you to reach them is exactly the same as the number of frames they have to last)

We start the fight with everyone a full 12 frames away from the Factory front door. The Courtyard is six frames distant.

Your opponents are criminal goons in Melitus' employ. They are armed with Ingrams submachine guns. The factory outer area is littered with crates and machinery etc.

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: First Sequence, Frame 16

Factory outer gate

Mors: 10/0/13
Burn: 8/0/16
Ares: 10/0/15
Cloud: 15/0/13
San: 11/0/14

Factory Courtyard

Goons x6: 0/13

Factory Gate

Goons x12: 0/13

-----

As we can see, you all go first.

Bespin Bart
(12 frames? Any powers like Force Speed?)

Mors draws his Glock 18. "We should shoot at them first, to give them something to think about while we move forwards..."

SpikeSpiegel
How much did it cost to get extra speed?

Tptmanno1
nothing, it was a Die roll.
"It'll be My pleasure Mr. Mors Sir!"
Hmm, Lets try 3 bursts on 3 Courtyard Goons.

SpikeSpiegel
I know, but that's added onto your speed and I'm wondering how mch it costs to up that.

Tptmanno1
Oh I dunno, you have to up in in your stats or something

Ushgarak
Speed is a Secondary stat, so check out the Download area.

I regret to inform that there is no Force speed power...

(I tend to assume you start weapons drawn, btw)

Err, three bursts on three goons is nine bursts, Burn. Unless you meant one each. Limit is six!

Tptmanno1
Oh yea, Little rusty...
make that 2 a piece

Ushgarak
(Had to reduce your carried clips to 3, Burn)

You open fire. Skill of your targets is 8; you are at -1 to hit each one. You roll +1, -1 and evens, for totals of 16, 14 and 15. They are lightly armoured, but you totally ignore that, so you beat their totals by 8, 6 and 7, +2 for the assault rifle, +2 for Coppertop Killer, means your final Outcomes are 10, 8 and 9. These mooks are tougher than Star Wars mooks and need an Outcome of 8 to kill... didn't slow you down! That is three dead in two frames. Nice start, Burn!

Tptmanno1
Thnak you, Thank you very much!
And I get to act again correct?
2 burst on 2 again

Ushgarak
Yup! Sadly, a -10 wastes those first bursts- misjudged the angle there- but evens blows another one away. Four kills, four frames, not at all bad... empted the clip though!

Tptmanno1
Ouch!
Ahh well Better leave SOMETHING for Ares to do...
Willow stepper for defense and Reload clip next action.

Bespin Bart
Mors starts moving forwards, Glock drawn.

"Follow!"

Captain REX
Ares grins and takes aim, sending four bursts of bullets at the remaining two coppertops in the courtyard.

Ushgarak
Ok, you reload in three frames, Burn.

Ares, you roll -2 and -1. Though you have a smaller weapon, coppertop killer is still enough to make that a kill!

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: First Sequence, Frame 14

Factory outer gate

Burn: 8/0/9
Ares: 10/0/13
Cloud: 15/0/13
San: 11/0/14

Factory Courtyard

Mors: 10/0/7

Factory Gate

Goons x12: 0/13

-----

As you can see, still three players who can move before the Goons fire. Mors, that is more where you are going to be, rather than where you are right now, of course. You'll most likely be shot at before you reach the courtyard, so you may want to leave some defensive instructions.

Talking of defence... don't forget the golden rule of Matrix gunfighting... your opponents in Matrix are far more likely to hit you than in Star Wars, unless you do something to lower their chances...

Captain REX
(Killing them lowers their chances, doesn't it? big grin )

Willow Step for defense.

Ares moves forwards behind Mors.

SpikeSpiegel
ROARING BLADE STRIKE on one of the goons and WILLOW STEP for defense.

Trinity_Matrix
San will move forward to the courtyard.

Willow Step for defense.

(I want to try out my new martial arts powers big grin)

Tptmanno1
Ush can I use Gathering of the Clouds and Move forward into the courtyard?

SpikeSpiegel
Scrap that, I'll move fowards into the courtyard, same defense though.

Ushgarak
You don't actually need to use Gathering just to move, Burn!

Ok, well, we have a lot of incoming fire at this point... and you are all out in the open.

(Cover was the magic word I was looking for...)

12 goons, five targets. Two attacks on each, and an extra attack on the gunmen, Burn and Ares. Each goons fires four bursts.
Everyone willow steps save, it seems, Mors.

In order... misses on Ares.

Oooh! A hit on Mors! Four damage as a bullet pings just a little too close...

All other shots miss.

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: First Sequence, Frame 12

Factory outer gate

Ares: 8/0/12

Factory Courtyard

Mors: 10/4/7
Cloud: 13/0/6
San: 9/0/7
Burn: 6/0/2

Factory Gate

Goons x12: 0/10

-----

Now, as you can see, before you reach the courtyard, those goons are going to fire again, so I'll need a second set of defences, if any. Ares, of course,, may act again first.

Trinity_Matrix
Willow Step again.

Captain REX
Ares unleashes a volley of bursts at his attackers, firing two bursts each on three goons, six bursts total, from his Ingrams.

Bespin Bart
(Forgot to say my defense, didn't I?)

Active dodge for one attack, and hope I get lucky for the other.

Mors cringes as the bullet skims his arm, but says nothing as he moves forwards towards the courtyard, unleashing four bursts from his Glock 18, two per attacker.

SpikeSpiegel
Willow step again in defence.

Ushgarak
Ares, you open fire. Your first attack is a total miss, but you score two kills! Which runs you out of ammo. I'll re-load you- it only takes one frame due to Lightning Reload.

Leaves us on ten attackers, two attacks each!

Good job you dodged, Mors- almost another hit, there!

And it IS a hit on Burn, for five damage.

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: First Sequence, Frame 9

Factory outer gate

Ares: 8/0/9

Factory Courtyard

Mors: 10/4/6
Cloud: 10/0/5
San: 6/0/6
Burn: 6/6/2

Factory Gate

Goons x10: 0/7

-----

As we can see, the Goons are going to fire yet again, though only with two bursts this time.

SpikeSpiegel
Willow step again

Tptmanno1
Ahh Ush, 5 damage?
Where is the cover? Can I go there? Umm why do I have like no frames left?

Ushgarak
Because it takes six frames to get to the courtyard.

As for cover... eagle-eyed (not the Gun Trick) players may note that I left lots of options in my initital description...

Tptmanno1
Ah Can I dive behind a large piece of machinery? Something close perferably

Ushgarak
You certainly can...

Tptmanno1
Thank you very much.
*Dives for cover*

Captain REX
Crates and machinery for cover.

Ares dives behind cover, and fires another three bursts, two on one goon and one on another.

Ushgarak
Actually, you know, I am probably better off splitting that into two seperate attacks of yours, Ares. As Coppertop Killer at that level gives you one frame attacks (legal in Matrix but not in Star Wars) you get a lot more freedom to operate. So that is one attack with two bursts for one frame, and another with one burst, also for one frame, at +1 to hit and evens to hit. Unsurprisingly, you kill them both. As they are seperate attacks you don't get the penalty for attacking more than one target, so you can be more economical with your ammo usage as you were just then.

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: First Sequence, Frame 7

Factory outer gate

Ares: 8/0/7 (cover: 2)

Factory Courtyard

Cloud: 6/0/4
Burn: 6/6/2 (cover: 2)

Factory Gate

Goons x8: 0/1 (cover: 2)

-----

Ok, bad guys fire again. Two attacks on all except San, who gets one.

Oooh, Willow Step pays off for cloud... as dpes Burn's cover!

The Goons have also moved into cover behind various industrial knick-knacks now, as they re-load.

Well, Ares can shoot again, and meanwhile, the rest of you have reached the courtyard.

BTW, is there anything else anyone wants to be doing at this point? So that no-one later on says 'but I thought I/someone else was doing x/y....'

SpikeSpiegel
Could I use flying weapon to get over to them, while taking out one of the guards?

If not I'll just use willow step again.

Captain REX
Ares fires two bursts at another goon behind a large crate, the bullets punching through the corners of the goon's cover.

Bespin Bart

Ushgarak
My apologies, Mors. That will add a frame onto your movement, of course. You roll +1 and... hmm... -11! The -11 is a miss, the +1 is a 13 all things considered, and Coppertop Killer makes that JUST a kill.

Spike, you can flying weapon from three frames out, if you wish. But no need for a Willow Step right now- they aren;t firing again until frame 1!

Ares rolls -3, but that's still a kill!

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: First Sequence, Frame 6

Factory outer gate

Ares: 8/0/6 (cover: 2)

Factory Courtyard

Mors: 10/4/5
Burn: 6/6/2 (cover: 2)

Factory Gate

Goons x6: 0/1 (cover: 2)

-----

Plenty of time for all of you...

Tptmanno1
I'll take 2 bursts at 2 guards.

Trinity_Matrix
San will move into cover behind a crate, and fire 2 bursts at one of the guards that Burn just shot at.

Willow Step for defense.

Ushgarak
Sorry, Burn, not quite clear there... two or four bursts in total?

San, a rather impressive +6 is a kill!

Tptmanno1

Ushgarak
Another -11 there- sorry, not sure where these are coming from!- but the second attack is a solid kill.

Captain REX
Ares fires two bursts again from cover at a goon.

Tptmanno1
*Smacks Gun*
Dammit!

Ushgarak
Evens, a kill, next...

Ushgarak
No next, I see! Ok, let's check the situation...

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: First Sequence, Frame 6

Factory outer gate

Ares: 8/0/5 (cover: 2)

Factory Courtyard

Mors: 10/4/5
San: 6/0/3 (cover: 2)
Burn: 6/6/Framed out (cover: 2)

Factory Gate

Goons x3: 0/1 (cover: 2)

-----

As we can see, you guys still have a considerable frame advantage!

Captain REX
(Well, I say we take advantage of said frame advantage!)

Ares rolls from cover, cartwheeling on one hand, firing his Ingrams with the other, firing his remaining bursts split between two mooks.

(I think I have four bursts left, I could be wrong...)

Ushgarak
That sounds right. +1 and =2... the -2 is still a kill I think!
Two kills in two frames. Leaves only one man left.

Tptmanno1
Some one kill him please!
Stupid framed out-ness

Bespin Bart
Mors fires three bursts at the remaining goon.

Ushgarak
A +2 means that goons is downed, leaving you guys free to move on. Ares, you re-load

Onto the second sequence then- speed roll is 3.

The inner doors burst open, and another dozen armed goons rush out.

Your starting frame numbers here are done with you moving to the next location borne in mind.

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: Second Sequence, Frame 6

Factory Courtyard

Ares: 8/0/10 (cover: 2)

Factory Gate

Mors: 10/4/9
Cloud: 6/0/8
San: 6/0/9
Burn: 6/6/7

Goons x12: 0/9 (cover: 2)

-----

As we can see, Ares will still get to shoot first, and Mors gets there in time to engage also. Any of you can also be shooting first whilst you are moving, and remember to prepare defences.

Tptmanno1
Cover dive seeing as I'm not moving first

Captain REX
Six bursts, spread between three goons.

Bespin Bart
Mors does likewise, six bursts spread between three goons. Willow Step for defense.

SpikeSpiegel
Willow Step for defense.

Ushgarak
Ok, picking your way between cover as you advance means you arrive a frame later.

Mors, you open fire. You roll -1, -2 and... click... oops! With their cover as well, I am afraid that achives only some minor damage.

Ares, you fire again also. Again, making that three seperate attacks due to Coppertop Killer at one frame each, that is three easy kills.

Bad guys fire. Two attacks on everyone save San, who gets one. Hmm, you are all clear this time!

Ares, there is a sharp crack, and a bullet flies through a crack in yuor cover and wounds you along the side of yuor face, four four damage. !! That was a rifle shot!

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: Second Sequence, Frame 7

Factory Courtyard

Ares: 8/4/7 (cover: 2)

Factory Gate

Cloud: 13/0/7
San: 10/0/9
Burn: 8/6/6 (cover: 2)

Goons x9: 0/6 (cover: 2)

-----

Looks like you are all ready to move...

Captain REX
Ares moves up to some different cover, firing the one burst that's left in his Ingrams at a goon.

Trinity_Matrix
San moves into cover, firing two bursts each at two goons.

Willow Step defense.

Bespin Bart
Mors puts his empty gun into his trench coat and pulls out his katana.

He leaps at a goon and slashes down hard from shoulder to hip (snapped).

Willow Step for defense.

Ushgarak
That is three frames to change weapon there, Mors, so that attack won't come until after they fire at you twice.

One frame to change cover, Ares, though I will make that one frame closer to the gate. Your last burst is a -8; no good I am afraid.

Ares, the next rifle shot hits you in the arm, for another eight damage. I recommend you are not blase about this situation!

San, you roll +3 and -5. The +3 is a 16... we can just about rule that a kill, I think.

Bad guys fire two bursts on Ares and Burn, one on the rest. Oooh, +7 on Burn is a hit! For... a disastrous one point of damge.

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: Second Sequence, Frame 7

Factory Courtyard

Ares: 8/12/5 (cover: 2)

Factory Gate

Mors: 10/4/2
Cloud: 13/0/6
San: 10/0/3 (cover: 2)
Burn: 8/7/6 (cover: 2)

Goons x7: 0/3 (cover: 2)

-----

Ok, all act again now save Mors.

Captain REX
"Of all the rebels firing guns, a sniper had to pick me!" Ares shouts after the second bullet grazed his arm.

Willow Step against goons, Shell of the Turtle against the rifleman. Ares looks for the sniper and moves to some better cover.

Ushgarak
Now, if you guys had remembered to use the operators, they would have told you about Loomis getting ready to shoot you and you could have taken defensive actions against him earlier!

He's got Eagle Eye, Ares. There is no cover around here that will do it. He is firing from the third floor.

Captain REX
"Everybody, Loomis, third floor! He's got a sniper rifle!" Ares says after spotting his foe.

Four bursts at that slimy bastard!

Trinity_Matrix
Heh...

Two bursts on a goon.

Willow Step for defense.

Ushgarak
Fair warning for people firing at Loomis- with range factored in as well, he is in 8 points of cover.

You roll +1, San, for a fair kill.

Bespin Bart
Mors looks up to see Loomis as well. "Damn..."

Tptmanno1
OK Ush, If Loomis ever shoots at me make it an Auto Natural Order, please?
Someone please call the operator see if there are any more suprises!
2 burst per 3 guards 6 in total
Willow step as Defence

Bespin Bart
Natural Order against Loomis' shots as well, if I become a target...

Captain REX
I already stated my defenses on the matter...

Too late to cancel the bursts I fired at the well covered Loomis?

Ushgarak
Actually, that was why I put the warning, in case you wanted to change your mind, Ares.

Burn, you roll -3, -3, +2. With an assault rifle in your hands, those are all kills.

Captain REX
Well that's good that you did! I want to instead use those four bursts on three mooks, one getting two bursts and two getting one burst each.

Ushgarak
Remember, Ares, you don't need to split your bursts as if making one big attack. Using Coppertop Killer you may as well take seperate attacks of up to four bursts each- as each attack only takes you one frame! If you have a high Coppertop Killer level, splitting burst fire just isn't worth it.

That said, I am afraid your middle shot misses... the others hit, though.

Another shot from Loomis, Ares, which you use Natural Order to avoid.

Six more goons rush out into the fray... and open fire.

Another glancing hit on Mors, I am afraid! And that is all, cover does you guys well.

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: Second Sequence, Frame 5

Factory Courtyard

Ares: 5/12/1 (cover: 2)

Factory Gate

Mors: 10/8/2
Cloud: 13/0/5 (cover: 2)
San: 10/0/Framed out (cover: 2)
Burn: 8/7/3 (cover: 2)

Goons x9: 0/Framed out (cover: 2)

-----

They are framed out, so go for it!

SpikeSpiegel
evil face 9 framed out bad guys, me with 13 focus, 5 frames, and a katana sword evil face

I'll use Roar of the Jade Emperor on one of the goons, then I'll use Deceptive Blade strike and Kick of the grasshopper on another unhurt goon. (That takes me 1 frame over, I'm not sure if that's still allowed, if not turn roar into hand)

Ushgarak
I think the Roar doesn't actually make a huge difference to a mook...

However, I must remind you, that charging down an armed opponent, whilst negating his cover, will create a bonus attack on you. Do you have a defence against such attacks in mid?

SpikeSpiegel
Shell of the turtle

Ushgarak
Right-oh!

Ok, your first strike avoids his gunfire and rolls a +4, for a total of 19. We can happily call that a kill!

Now the Deceptive Blade Strike would actually frame you out- however, Kick of the Grasshopper is... well, a Kick! You don't need the deceptive strike to do that.

Captain REX
Ares fires three bursts at one mook, and three bursts at another mook. (Two attacks rather than one split...)

Captain REX
(btw, you were wrong with the amount of mooks up yonder... *points to last update* You added two...)

Ushgarak
Actually, what I did wrong was say six instead of eight.

This time however, Ares, you only have one frame left, so this time it does make sense to make it one big attack.

You roll -1 and -1... bringing them both down.

Bespin Bart
You might have overlooked it, but just making sure...

SpikeSpiegel
Cool, I didn't know that.

Bespin Bart
Mors likes Kicks too, since it goes well with Guns and Swords...

Ushgarak
Blimey, must have been a while back, BB. Ok, after the dodge when you close in, there's no point snapping the attack at all, as either way you will be framed out, so I'll make that a normal attack. +1 for a 15... with a sword, that is a kill.

Cloud actually has to dodge a second free attack so that frames him out; his kick can come next sequence.

Burn, meanwhile, re-loads. Ares is put a frame into debt when Loomis fires again.

New sequence. Time is passing people! Move it on! Speed roll is 3.

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: Third Sequence, Frame 13

Factory Courtyard

Ares: 10/12/11 (cover: 2)

Factory Gate

Mors: 10/8/10
Cloud: 15/0/10
San: 10/0/11 (cover: 2)
Burn: 8/7/13 (cover: 2)

Goons x5: 0/9 (cover: 2)

-----

Ok, everyone can go for it, but I'll start off with Cloud's kick. He rolls -2 for a 12 only, but with a total damage of 13, that translates to a killing power of +4 (including the plus two for a kick)... JUST takes him down! The mook is driven backwards and out by your blow, Cloud.

Tptmanno1
wait so in three frames I can get 12 bursts? Because I get 4 bursts per frame with CTK?
In that case... I wanna shoot all five goons with 2 bursts apiece. Total of 10 bursts. That takes 3 frames and leaves me on frame 10 correct?
I'm just trying to understand this new system.

Bespin Bart
Mors slashes again on another mook, this time the attack is snapped.

Ushgarak
Same system as in Heist, Burn. But yes, with CTK at your level you can attack a mook for one frame, and against a single target in a single attack you can use up to four burst, which is indeed 12 bursts in three frames so long as your targets are mooks, and without any multi-attack penalties as they are seperate attacks. CTK is actually rather good at mook killing! But against single targets, Burn. So no matter what, five targets would take you five frames.

And a defence against the free gun attack, Mors?

Tptmanno1
Ok well then
I get 4 mook attacks before they attack again so I will give every mook except the one Mors attacked 2 bursts.

Trinity_Matrix
3 bursts on a mook.

Willow Step defense.

Bespin Bart
Shell of the Turtle.

Ushgarak
Ok, the gun attack misses, Mors, and your attack roll is a neat +5, as you hack the guy down.

Burn then fires four attacks of two bursts each. He rolls +6, +3, +2 and +4. Burn, you are on fire (pun probably intended)- you wiped the lot out.

Well, we seem to be out of bad guys! Ok, let's go go go!

-----

CURRENT SITUATION AT: Third Sequence, Frame 8

Factory Lobby

Mors: 10/8/4
Cloud: 15/0/7
San: 10/0/8
Burn: 8/7/6
Ares: 10/12/3

-----

As you remember, it is rather dingy in here, with loud machinery ahead, leading to the service elevator you guys took up to the upper floors last time.

(Someone's) phone rings- Marduk.

Bespin Bart
"San, Cloud, phone," Mors says, alerting them to the phone ringing.

Mors takes out his phone and calls the Shez. "Anything we should know about in here?"

Trinity_Matrix
San answers her phone.

"Yeah?"

Ushgarak
Ariadne is engaged.

"Jericho's team is descending to meet you," says Marduk. "I recommend you split up. They worked too well as a team during the Heist- you may have more luck against them one on one. Of course they may try to team up against you one BY one but then we win by default- they will not stop the rest of you getting to Melitus. They will have to split up themselves and meet you."

Tptmanno1
OK Please please don't make me go by my self!, I say Mors and Cloud Pairs up with me and Ares so the Gunners have MA guards and everyone else just runs like hell.

Ushgarak
'Everyone else' would be one person, Burn.

Tptmanno1
Uhh yea......
Math not being my strong suit.

Ushgarak
Well, if you group, they will group, and that didn't go well last time.

SpikeSpiegel
I actually feel like going one-on-one with one of them. big grin

Captain REX
"Marduk is right, we'll have to go solo," Ares pipes up. "Good luck to you, Burn. I hope Jericho doesn't knife your ass again..."

Tptmanno1
"Same to you Ares."
Ok how can we split?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>