Poll: Which 20th century creative visionary has influenced the world most?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Creechuur
I know there have been a lot of creative minds in the last 100+ years, but who do you think has made the most lasting impression not only in Hollywood, but in the general public's minds and hearts?

I narrowed it down to these three. Please post your write-in if you vote 'None of the above'.

I'd go with Walt, hands down. Tolkein and Lucas have created great stories that revolutionized the industries of fantasy, sci-fi, storytelling and movie making, but Disney just could not be stopped.

Animation, feature films, educational movies, theme parks, utopian communities, the list of things that fascinated Walt Disney are too numerous to name. He had an eternally child-like imagination, the genius to pull off his visons, and the common sense to know that he couldn't do it alone. With his brother Roy to keep him from going broke, and his awesome team of imagineers and animators, Walt Disney truly created magic. Even the most cynical, hard nosed bastard (like me!) has to have a place in his heart for Disney.

I think Walt Disney did more good for the world than all the current politicians and world leaders put together. Not just in an entertainment sense, but in the sense that the entertainment was crafted with love and care, and it was created for everyone...all ages, colors and creeds.

I'm not a real big "Disney" fan, but I'm a HUGE Walt Disney fan.

Don't even get me started on what Eisner has done to that company in the last decade. mad

Serif
"Who do you think has made the most lasting impression...in the general public's minds and hearts...in the 20th century"

In an age of empire and military might, he proved that the powerless had power and that force of arms would not forever prevail against force of spirit... Gandhi stick out tongue

Then... He who discovered, merely by thinking about it, that the universe was not as it seemed.... Einstein shifty

Creechuur
Maybe it wasn't clear, but I meant entertainment industry types...

This is probably an unfair poll, but after Walt I couldn't think of anyone else! I truly don't think Lucas or Tolkein are even in the same league as Disney, but I couldn't come up with any other names. I was kinda hoping write-in votes would come up with names I forgot.

I guess I was going for irony...you know, people who just wanted to entertain an audience and ended up changing the world.

SlickRick69
in that case, I would have to say...

ME!

oh wait! I'll be doing that for the 21st Century!!

Kaleanae
Tolkien brought Myth back to the 20th century smile

Tptmanno1
I cant mention them all but I'd have to say the many people who invented Jazz,
Soo many influences i cant even name them all.

Creechuur
Tolkein would be a close second to Disney for sure. Since the 60's, every fantasy property that has used an elf or an orc has basically used Tolkein's version. D&D wouldn't exist without his books.

Tptmanno, I'm sure Jazz musicians had a profound effect on you and other musicians, but I'm talking about people who changed the very landscape of society solely with entertainment. George Gershwin or Louie Armstrong might be candidates, but I don't think theyre quite in Disney and Tolkein's league.

Baylin
I would say out of the given list Tolkien.

Creechuur
Dang, I thought this was a good question too. Shows you what I know...

Ninjamaster
You cannot DO that without mentioning Spielberg.
Close Encounters
ET
Indiana Jones trilogy
Jurassic Park
Schindlers List<which i haven't seen though!>
Saving Private Ryan!
JAWS
BACK TO THE FUTURE!<The man's a GOD for crying out LOUD!>
HE makes stars out of Nobody's really he does!
After HIM comes Jim Cameron NO DOUBT.
I've been following these two directors awesome accomplishments the last 14 years.
U can't beat these two it's like Christ VS SATAN with he world watching!
I'll be stumped dead 4 sure if any Director Star Maker can attain what they have attained! They make excellence and classic storytelling look like truth simplicitly stated is magnificence exemplified par HOLOCAUST!
I'm their biggest FAN 4 ever!
If this was DOOMSDAY I'd Be the Third Horseman Of Apocalypse and I'd give Professor SpielRock two thumbs UP to say ACTION!
Then I'd sit down and reasses the dynamics of the situation for Cardinal JIM Cammies to reprobation!
5-4-3-3-2-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Ninjamaster
Tolkien IS not even AS good OR was never AS good As GOODKIND EVER WILL BE!
The Abyss defines HELL closer than either MAtrix or LOTR!
Infact Gerorgr disses any of thes any DAY but the main maen BE Ct=ST!!

Fire
got to go for Tolkien

Creechuur
Spielberg and Cameron are damn good, but I would be interested to know how many of their movies were from their own ideas. A lot of Cameron's stuff is not original...Aliens, Titanic, etc. Definitely two of the best filmmakers on the planet though, no doubt.

I'm not familiar with Goodkind, I'll have to check him out. Comparing him to Tolkien is a tall order.

Its apparent that this a Tolkien/Disney thing. Very few people have reached their almost unattainable heights.

finti
ehh Indiana Jones is George Lucas idea, Schindlers List is based on a book by Thomas Keneally.
Spielberg belongs on a list about great directors, not on this one by a long shot

im not burlyman
DEFO WHOEVA INVENTED THE SANWICH TOASTA cool

Kaleanae
The man's glasses are just like mine eek!

Kaleanae
The first electric toaster was invented in 1893 in Great Britain by Crompton
and Co (UK)

BackFire
Well, no one has influenced modern movie makers like Stanly Kubrick, so I'll throw his name into the ring.

Out of the given list, probably Tolkien. He pretty much made the fantasy genre out of scratch as it's known today.

Rogue Jedi
carrot top.

spadesmamma61
for controversy Id go with Roman Polanski..........sorry creech had to toss that one in the ring

Darth Revan
As much as I like Star Wars, I'd say Tolkein out of the list.

If I could pick anybody who hasn't been mentioned, I'd say Ken Kesey. He was a huge part of the hippie movement, and IMO influenced the way people think about drugs, society, etc.

Creechuur
No need to apoligize. I was hoping there would be a lot of 'write ins'. Heck I only came up with three names, and Lucas is getting NO love.

Sith Master X
Sorry, don't hate me, but my vote's for Lucas, primarily because I'm such a huge SW fan.

SMX
cool

finti
me too

spadesmamma61
WOW finti.......a little late where you are isnt it? 1 am here

finti
8:15 am here

Creechuur
Y'all gotta vote! I see support for Georgie but no votes...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.