Parallels between Star Wars & Matrix

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Numo
Right Jedi, it's high noon and i'm calling you out. I know you're in there, I can see ya.

No but seriously you've asked me to do this and I figure now's as good a time as any. All are welcome. Do both Universes intersect with each other any where, if so how? And are there common trains of thought regarding the mythology behind them?

Ushgarak
Intersecting Universes? Errrrrr, no, not even vaguely possible...

Mythology behind them? Not really, except they both follow heroic plotlines, destiny, and Ones (chosen or otherwise), but frankly, that only puts them level with several hundred other stories.

Similarities in style, however... there you can make more parallels. Several times when the sentinels attack it is done in Star Wars style (in both fly-by and turret shots); the relationship between Morpheus and Neo is comparable to Obi-Wan and Luke... and so forth.

Korri
i noticed all that crap too smile

JediHDM
wow...that was really only a joke...but ok.

both trilogies are very heavily based on thematic typologies (cant remember the exact word i want to use stick out tongue) ie the wise master, the seductress, etc. Thats all i can think of at this moment.

Numo
O.K. since this is a wide rangeing topic let us get specific for now on one or two, vis-a-vis seeing into the future and making weapons come to you.

Trinity_Matrix
I found a lot of random parallels between Star Wars and the Matrix...but I'm also one of those people who overthinks everything laughing out loud I also found lots of parallels between the Matrix and Dune, and even the Matrix and Harry Potter. Yeah, I'm really crazy, but they're there and if anyone wants to hear what I found I'll post them.

Numo
Very good, you're very welcome here.

Shape Shifter
i think that there are some similarities as well.

in star wars anakin skywalker is *makes quotation marks in the air with fingers* the one. he's supposed to bring the force into balance and stop evil (or whatever) and bring peace to de galaxy.

in de matrix neo is de 1 he is supposed to stop the war between man and machine and bring peace to de world.

same old same old. if i had more time to go into this i would but thats the genereal gist of it.

Numo
Yeah I've been thinking about that whole 'bringing the force into balance' and I am beginning to think that it does not mean the eradication of evil (or the dark side) but to bring it into balance. Both sides have merit it is just how you uses them that counts.

JediHDM
everyone (and im talking in the movies) analyzes that prophecy wrong. If 'the one' is supposed to bring the Force into balance, and there are MILLIONS of Jedi and a few Sith, what does one think that means? oh, wait, exactly what happens in Ep. 3...the eradication of most Jedi. He was meant to be evil from the beginning.

So, going back to the topic at hand...seeing into the future and pulling things to oneself. Well, throughout history every 'legendary hero' has been portrayed as larger than life, somehow able to bend the rules. As time progresses, the story of a simple man becomes the legend of this superhuman who fought 100 men by himself and won the heart of his true love, yadda yadda yadda...usually, he is also gifted with some magical power, whether it be the ability to see into the future or control men, etc. These characteristics are thematic now, as they are used throughout folk lore and fairy tales alike. As i was saying before, these elements are used in some of the best literature known to man, whether the 'one' is King arthur or Beowulf, Anakin, Neo or Paul-Muad'Dib.

xeous
I'm not big into EU, Jedi...When Luke creates the temple, does the Dark side begin to come back?

Numo
The Jedi and the Sith use the force, they aren't the force. Eliminating either side cannot therefore bring the force into balance only their use of it. If they used both sides of the force they would never need to use light sabers ever again.

Trinity_Matrix
Yes, but I get what Jedi is saying...by wiping out all but a few Jedi, he balanced out who was using the Force. Or that's how I interpret it anyway.

Numo
But balance means all sides being equal or reaching a state of equilibrium.

((The_Anomaly))
Jedi HDM-the word that u were looking for is literary Archytypes big grin

JediHDM
thank you the anomaly...been awhile since i used that word...not an everyday word, doncha know...

Numo> yes, balance does mean equilibrium. And if you think about it, Anakin did bring equilibrium. He did it when he killed off most Jedi, leaving only sparse remnants. He did it when he brought Luke and Leia into the world, the hope after the darkness. And he did it in a final act of good, saving his son and sacrificing himself to kill the Emperor. In that final act, He killed off the two Sith living (and i mean living as in in a body, since there are other ways for Sith to be living...) and left neither trained Sith nor trained jedi alive (Luke wasnt really a Jedi, he was trained, but not as he shoulda been). This indeed brought balance to the Force. ofcourse, you will probably argue with me, but ive gotten used to that as a matter of course.

Shape Shifter
You just love arguing with me dont u jedi sad

xeous
Jedi?

Ushgarak
Ok, first of all, talking Star Wars, you guys are wrong. We get this a lot. Balance is not equilibrium between Light and Dark. That is a very basic, and totally incorrect, way of looking at it. Wiping out the Jedi did not bring any balance. George Lucas has explained how this works.

The Light Side BRING BALANCE. It is the balancing power in the Galaxy. The Dark Side DESTROYS BALANCE. It is the thing that removes Balance from the Galaxy. Balance is living in a Galaxy where things live in hamrony. As GL also explains, the Light Side is symbiotic- things live in balance with each other. The Dark Side is, by contrast, parasitic- things destroy each other. Only the Light Side can bring this symbiotic universe. Note that The Phantom Menance is full of such symbiotic references as GL hammers the point home.

It is the Sith that unbalance the Galaxy. The way to re-balance it is simply to destroy the Sith.

The Jedi keep things balanced, The Sith destroy it. When Anakin destroyed the Jedi he was abandoning his destiny- but Luke managed to get him back ontrack again. After the films, the Jedi Order will be re-founded, with no more Sith, in a now balanced Galaxy.

You must totally purge the idea of Sith and Jedi having to have equal numbers, or trying to use both sides of the Force, as balance. That is nonsense. I am afraid what JediHDM says is utterly wrong. The Chosen One was not meant to be evil- he was meant to destroy the Sith, that is all. Also, Luke is very clearly a true Jedi after ROTJ- that is the point of the film! Yoda says it very precisely- Luke will be a Jedi, a true Jedi, once he has faced Vader again. You cannot just ignore that.

George Lucas says, after explaining that the Prophecy states that things will become unbalanced, but then can be re-balanced in future:

"The Phantom Menace refers to the force of the dark side of the Universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills Emperor is Darth Vader - also Anakin... the tale meanders and both the prediction, and Qui-Gon are correct."

It is the Dark Forces that do the unbalancing. If Anakin had stayed true to his path, he could have destroyed the Sith and brought balance without the Jedi order being oblitterated, and all would have been much better (though the story would have been much more dull).

So in this case, there is a huge DIS-parallel between Star Wars and Matrix. Star Wars morality is very simple- the Dark Side is evil and utterly without virtue and it MUST be destroyed. There can be no other view on it that is correct.

Matrix mixes it up somewhat, of course.

Ushgarak
BTW, George Lucas also said, rather more plainly, of Anakin, that:

"He brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe."

Simple as that, see? So forget any idea you ever had about equaliisng Jedi and Sith numbers, or using both sides of the Force, or trying to weigh up good/evil or light/dark on some set of cosmic scales. All hogwash.

((The_Anomaly))
hahaha! is this a starwars thread?

JediHDM
ahhh...once again you enlighten us all, Ush...thank you for that wonderful post. I can see the truth in your words now, but it simply was, i suppose, too simple for me to accept. oh well, such is the reason we learn, and continue to learn. Good point.

so, i hope that answers the question...if not, someone go get Ush and him back!! stick out tongue

Numo
Sorry but that is not what I meant at all.

Consider this, if you will: the Jedi order says that emotion and emotional attachments are forbidden including love. That is what helps them quiet the mind so they can hear the will of the force.

The Sith (as Palpatine told Anakin) trust and listen to their emotions and feelings and infact act apon them. Thus exerting their will on the force as apposed to just listening to the will of the force.

Now it was Luke's love for his sister that caused him to fight Darth Vader and what gave him the strength to beat him (was that a bad thing)? It was Darth Vader's love for his son that caused him to kill his master (the emporer).

I believe that balance to the force means training the Jedi to use both sides of the force like Anakin did, thus he could only fulfil his destiny if he was both Jedi and Sith.

Listen to the will of the force and trust and listen to your emotions. Balance.

xeous
Or just the fact that he killed the last Sith...

Numo
Not this again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.