Disney on the Front Lines: The War Years

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Creechuur
I just picked this DVD up today. It is freaking AMAZING. Its a collection of WWII era films and shorts that Disney made in the 40's.

I'm not sure if he was forced by the govt or if he did it willingly (I think it was a little of both), but for the duration of the war Walt and his animators made 32 shorts and 1 full length feature for Uncle Sam. They ranged from normal cartoons with a topical theme to propaganda films about the enemy to instuctional films made strictly for the military.

I've only watched a few of the shorts so far. "Der Fueher's Face", which won the Oscar for Best Animated Short Film the year it was made, features Donald Duck waking up in Nazi Germany. Marching Nazis force him out of bed and into a weapons factory, where he makes shells while loudspeakers tout the greatness of Hitler and the Nazi party. After freaking out and having a Nazi-themed hallucination with swastikas and Hitler heads flying all around him, he finally wakes up in his bed wearing stars and stripes pajamas. He freaks again when he sees what looks like the shadow of a Nazi on his bedroom wall, but then turns around to see it is actually a statue of Lady Liberty on his dresser, which he gives a a big kiss as the film ends, proclaiming "I sure am glad I live in the United States of America!".

This is Disney as you have NEVER seen it, I promise you. A lot of these films haven't been seen since the 40's, or only by the US military until now.

Other titles include: Victory Through Air Power, Food Will Win The War, Private Pluto, Education For Death, Four Methods Of Flush Riveting, and The Grain That Built A Hemisphere.

This is some trippy, trippy stuff. It is a limited release, so if you can find a copy, I highly recommend it.

Creechuur
"for the duration of the war Walt and his animators made 32 shorts and 1 full length feature for Uncle Sam"

Actually it turns out Disney made HUNDREDS of these films for the war effort, not just the 32 included on the discs...not that anyone seems to care.

<<Solo>>
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000BWVAH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If this is the movie your talking about,yeah it's supposed to be pretty awesome. I'll buy a copy myself.

Creechuur
Thats the one. Hook it up dude.

I just watched an anti-tank gun training film where Hitler gets sent to Hell and a very Disneyish Satan starts laughing at him and making fun. "Awww, he says its not fair!!! HAHAHAHA!!!"

I just watched Satan laugh at Hitler in a freakin Disney cartoon. So deliciously un-PC! That alone was worth the price of the DVD. Speaking of which, I got it for a very modest $24.99 at the Disney Store.

<<Solo>>
I just bought it for 22 cents cheaper...WOHOO BIG SAVE!!!!!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.