Pokemon : anime or not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

.hack//love
Some people say Pokemon is anime others say its not. What do you think?

Ellen
I think it's anime!

SpikeSpiegel
It's an anime.

BlackHatDefect
Thats a VERY dumb question(no offence)
Anime definition is cartoons made in japan.
Pokemon was made in Japan by Nintendo,and a man nammed Satoshi Tajiri(which is weird cause Satoshi is Ash's real name)

yerssot
it's not, and it's quite crappy made compared to other "real" anime

BlackHatDefect
Yesort or whatever..read other posts before you add your opinion,cause thats what yours is...AN OPINION!Mine is actually based on facts..think about that.

SpikeSpiegel
It is an anime, for those reasons.

Trinity_Matrix
Anime is the Japanese word for animation. Therefore, Pokemon is anime.

But a rather crappy one, to be honest.

Gregory
Obviously it's an anime. So, it's a crappy anime; big deal. Contrary to what the more rabid fans seem to think, there isn't some universal law that anime has to be good; I think that the people who say Pokemon isn't "real" anime just haven't managed to cope with that fact.

jE¬KiLL¬HYDe
Anime=Japanese shorthand word for "animation," Japanese, American, or otherwise. In America, it's come to mean animated cartoons from Japan alone. So even by the American definition, Pokemon is anime.

Bleah. And it is a crappy one. sick

*kills Pikachu* evil face I feel better now.

Arachnoidfreak
Yes, unfortunately Pokemon IS real anime, though not a very good one.

Pred@tor
agreed, Arachnoidfreak

BlackHatDefect
I do like Pokemon,its mega-cute.You ppl don't seem to get that its aimed for kids..thats just immature.My fondest memories are sitting with my friend Nash watching pokemon/drawing our own monsters.Admit it..you liked it as a kid or you knew someone who dud.ITS MADE FOR KIDS PEOPLE!

Gregory
So are Digimon, Card Captor Sakura, Justice League of America, and any number of other shows I enjoy. I'm judging it by the standards set by these kids shows, and finding it wanting; being made for kids is therefore not an excuse.

And no, I didn't like it as a kid. I'm not sure Pokemon was even over here when I was a kid (although I've always bee pretty oblivious to pop culture, so it wouldn't surprise me)--all of my childhood memories are of Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles and Masters of the Universe (two other kids shows that I liked more than Pokemon, incidently).

Lord Ryugen
It's an Anime. We might wish it wasn't but it is.

Arachnoidfreak
AMEN!!

.hack//love
I must say BlackHatDefect just because you like the show dosn't mean everyone did or does. I never liked it as a kid and neither did any of my friends.

jE¬KiLL¬HYDe
*nods* I agree~

BlackHatDefect
Im juat saying alot of people did,and alot of THOSE people diss it now>_<

WindDancer
I think the idea of Pokemon was directed at a younger audience. Pokemon exceeded in popularity after the first movie. But even since then pokemon has drop. The younger audience has grown tired of the repetetive cartoon episodes. So, I just think that pokemon was an anime mostly for kids.

Pred@tor
The Pokemon game is allright, but it's not a very good series

Lord Ryugen
I don't know... the first series was alright it's just after that they screwed up considerbly

Pred@tor
i must admit the first series wasnt too bad, but i didnt enjoy it. after that the story line got screwed up smoething wicked and suddenly theres like 200 more pokemon

crazy_c
There are seven seasons and like 360 episodes.

trouble
i used to like the old series like the first ones but to be honest i would probably watch the new pokemon if it came on tv its just i havnt seen it on TV for ages. and i like all of the games ive just got the new game for the gamecube pokemon coliseum

Lord Ryugen
fair enough.

Cat Girl Sheryu
techniclay pokemon is anime bu the show sucks

Raventheonly
I hate pokemon..... just wanna say that for the like 50th time..... i never watched and never will big grin

Cat Girl Sheryu
lol *agrees*

animeelf
some kid was just complaining about this to Animerica. and i agree with the magazine. it IS an anime. i mean, it WAS created in japan, which technically makes it anime.... even though to the japanese, any kind of cartoon is anime to them.

Joker1237
Well in this case is Bugs Bunny Anime to the Japanese??? I hope not (Evey though Bugs is cool.)

As for Pokemon, they should have been cancle long ago, I guess in some ways there like Buffy or Xena, or Baywatch. All these shows are bad, and all of them lasted one season to long lol. Yes even they need to be pull off the air.

megan77373
yeah it might be an anime bu ti think it is the lowest form. not to mention the stupid plot. u need about 2 brain neurons to understand it. 1 to think of each word and the other to put them in2 a sentence. well i guess u would need a third to understand the sentence that u have just put 2gether. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Blue Dragon
Spamming or what!?!?! Like a few months from a year!!!

Kento
Pokemon is an anime by every term. A cartoon, and from Japan.

Doctor Strange
1) Pokemon is japanese animation. Therefore it is anime.
2) Saying Pokemon is a bad show is like saying Blue's Clues is a bad show. If it gets the kids to SHUT THE HELL UP for half an hour, then it's a good show.

RogueGambitdare
It's an Anime. They even have pokemon Manga's for crying out loud.

nekrasova
I watched pokemon when it just came on tv screen, which was a long time ago. I dont know how would I react now. But anyway I think it is pretty good and can be called an animation. And it is drawn the way Japanese manga is drawn. So...

raenef
anime...
it came from japan

sai12
Haha, yep. Pokemon is an anime. I don't see where the confusion is here. It came from Japan...right? *grin* Explains it all.

And I will admit that I was an avid PKM lover a few years back (Several...like 5..). I owned the games, collected the cards, and watched the show religiously. Once they came out with the new PKM though, I gave up. 150 was enough, add another 100 and I was overwhelmed.

I'd put it in the same catagory as a lot of the animes you see on tv now days (Excluding Adult swim or otherwise...). Digimon, Yu-gi-oh, Monster Rancher (I remember this one! But the question is...was that anime?)..etc. Saturday morning cartoons explains it all right? Kids shows! Anime is anime, no matter who it is aimed for! smile

nekrasova
I thinl I still have my Pokemon card game Deck. Mine was based om the Fire/fighitng but there are a lot of new cards, that I have not seen yet. I had one game with a guy who has a deck of the new cards, I won him anyway

DarthLazious
Nope

raenef
Originally posted by sai12
Haha, yep. Pokemon is an anime. I don't see where the confusion is here. It came from Japan...right? *grin* Explains it all.

And I will admit that I was an avid PKM lover a few years back (Several...like 5..). I owned the games, collected the cards, and watched the show religiously. Once they came out with the new PKM though, I gave up. 150 was enough, add another 100 and I was overwhelmed.

I'd put it in the same catagory as a lot of the animes you see on tv now days (Excluding Adult swim or otherwise...). Digimon, Yu-gi-oh, Monster Rancher (I remember this one! But the question is...was that anime?)..etc. Saturday morning cartoons explains it all right? Kids shows! Anime is anime, no matter who it is aimed for! smile

Originally posted by nekrasova
I thinl I still have my Pokemon card game Deck. Mine was based om the Fire/fighitng but there are a lot of new cards, that I have not seen yet. I had one game with a guy who has a deck of the new cards, I won him anyway

yeah...so was i...the show's kidda lame now...

b-dan
a very bad anime

Ciraric
To repeat.

It is an anime (which I think is a style not just being from japan)
It is aimed at kids (because most childish anime's are)
It is crap (compared to other kid's shows)

linkslittlehelp
Originally posted by .hack//love

of course its an anime its made in japan.all the characters have spiky hair and huge glowy eyes.

linkslittlehelp
Originally posted by nitro-swicked
i used to like the old series like the first ones but to be honest i would probably watch the new pokemon if it came on tv its just i havnt seen it on TV for ages. and i like all of the games ive just got the new game for the gamecube pokemon coliseum

i normally like the games a whole lot but i think that one sucked

FullMetalLover1
It doesn't matter what I think.

tm0use342
blackhatdefect, anime is not a term for animation in japan. it is a certain type of animation where there is usually sexual reference and always big ****. yes, pokemon is anime, but since it's for little kids, it doesn't have sexual reference. it has big **** 'cause some parents oversee their kid's shows, and they want them to watch

i rule
whoever told u it wasnt, they have no freaken idea wut theyre saying. of course it is!

Phoenix Aska
unfortunately, somehow pokemon is a very successful anime

Reborn Again
Originally posted by .hack//love

Drawn and written in Japan. Dubbed in Canada. In anime style. Anime. Longest running anime on American TV other than Robotech.

DemonXangelX
ANIME

EvilCap America
Originally posted by tm0use342
blackhatdefect, anime is not a term for animation in japan. it is a certain type of animation where there is usually sexual reference and always big ****. yes, pokemon is anime, but since it's for little kids, it doesn't have sexual reference. it has big **** 'cause some parents oversee their kid's shows, and they want them to watch

Um yes Anime is a shortened word derived from "Animation" and is a general term in Japan for animated shows.By the time it got back around here to America "Anime" became for US a term for Japanese Animation

Anways yes Pokemon is an anime technically anything animed is an anime but even by US terms its still an anime.Weather or not its good or not is a matter of a POV

Flame Alchemist
Its an immature anime and little kids seem to love it.

kier14matrix

CorderaMitchell
anime

DanFan4000

alcadeias
pokemon is anime

Lumenesca
Well, OF COURSE it's anime...just not good anime. wink

riku harada
ppl. go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

wikipedia classifies anime as this. and yes pokemon is anime, if not bad anime.

blueysgirl82
The very first season/series was alright, but after that it sucked i dont know why, but i wouldnt call it anime anyway.

ShadowRealmGurl
Pokemon is an anime- To those of you who think it's crappy...the dub was by 4Kids, what did you expect-

NewGuy01
It's not a very good anime, but it is one.

Opness
When ever I started watching it I never really considered it as anime.

Opness
When I started watching it I never really considered it as anime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.