footballers [soccer players]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mouth
this is sorta silly, but i was just wondering who everyone's favorite footballer is.. in terms of looks or skills, or both..

here's mine.. alessandro nesta.. my hero since i was 4..
the true meaning of Italian Stallion love

mouth

mouth
and..

Flying Orange
...I think this is OTF worthy.. messed

Lady von Tramp
My fave player is and always will be, Eric Cantona.

finti
the italians are good actors as well as fotballers, the southern european teams and sout american teams are divers.

yerssot
think there is a thread about this in the sports-forum... that or I'm confusing it with a game on TV messed

finti
you are just confused period smile wink

Line
there you see the harm of TV wink

finti
yeah Danes on the pitch

Evy_O
I know nothing about football, does David Beckham count? stick out tongue

rusky
hmm... my fav player, zidane, I guess.. the guy's a family man and he's still a football god. big grin

Although I just love Davids's shades..

ClaraG
fave footie player? mm i dunno

Linkalicious
Personally I always liked Ruud VanNistleroy. But this is....

not really fair to Americans. The most exposure they get to European football is through our media coverage of David Beckham. It's quite sad really. I watch some European games on Fox Sports World...and the level of skill played by Europeans dwarfs that of Americans.

I watched the MLS (Major League Soccer) All-Stars lose to a club team from Mexico 2-0. Which was astonishing because the club team was on offense almost the entire game. (shoulda been worst)

But in America's defense....our best athletes don't play soccer because it isn't followed as closely as basketball, football, baseball, or hockey. Soccer is getting more popular year after year though. I wouldn't be toooo surprised if an American club team or two got the opportunity to play in Europe or South/Central America in the next.....ummm....20 years or so. But who knows....that's a long time away.

(Europeans: yes i know our soccer is football to you, but i call it soccer in this post because i touch on American football for a second, and I didn't want confusion.)

lil bitchiness
Oh man Nesta is fine, but Toldo rocks my world!! drool

G.P
Off Topic...or this belongs to the Sports forum...

Juventus
on appearance, i like Filippo Inzaghi, Michael Owen, Raul Gonzalez

on skills: Francesco Toldo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Zidane, Rivaldo

Kes
What do you mean by "the oportunity to play in Europe"?

Linkalicious
well right now if an American (US) squad were in a European league they'd get beaten so bad that they'd get boo'ed off the field. If, in the next 20 years, they could suit up a squad that was of a high enough level do you think a Central/South American league or European league would ever let them join?

or would they be forced to stick with our crappy MLS league?

The only way for the United States to get better at a sport like football would be to play against a high competition. Even the best US teams would get taken by average Euro teams...and it would stay that way for a long time, until they play against tougher opponents.

Kes
Well an American team in a European competition is impossible. And same goes for any Championship (from each country like Portugal, Spain, France, etc).
Unless they really bend the rules and I mean really!

Linkalicious
I don't mean like Euro 2004. I meant like in a league or something to that extent. and yah i know it'd involve bending the hell out of the rules, but I'm hoping one day...even if it's more than 20 years from now....the world will stop seeing it as "us" and "them"....and just see it all as "us"

G.P
Kes & Link please carry on this interesting talk in the football thread smile

lil bitchiness
I never thought Michael Owen looked that good...

Francesco Toldo is great on skills, but seriously, looks wise he rules all!!

nick1811
zidane has to be the greatest footballer of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.