The Draft

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire
I don't know if anyone's heard about this, but here in America the government is considering bringing back the draft. This time to include women as well as men.

I'm curious as to what other's feel about this. I know this is an touchy subject, but I'd like to at least give it a try. So everyone, lets try to keep it as civil as possible.

So, what does everyone think about this?

My personally opinion is this - I think the draft would be a huge mistake. Not just because I would be a prime target for it, but because if you're going to send people to war, doesn't it make sense that you only send people who actually care about the cause. As it is right now, you know the people who are over fighting in Iraq are doing so because they chose too. It was there decision. I dunno about everyone else, but if I was over there, I wouldn't want someone who was drafted fighting next to me because they will most likely do a half assed job compared to someone who wants to be over there.

Also, I think the Draft is very hypocritical to the US constitution. Being forced to go over and risk our lives in another country is NOT freedom. It's the exact oposite. It's almost a form of slavery in my opinion. Being forced to do something for low wages (and possibly die because of it) even if you are against the actual cause. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Anywho, discuss.

tns
i think i would go against everything that this country stands for and all those battles fought by women and men for equal rights and freedom of choice would be for nothing

Darth Revan
I agree... The draft is just lame. If they do reintroduce it, I'm going to jail rather than joining the military.

Agent Elrond

Tptmanno1
Also If Bush Re-introduces the draft his ratings would plummet so far people in China would feel it.
He would NEVER get re-elected and thats his #1 priority rite now.

shaber
The draft is abominable - of COURSE it is not to do with freedom it is proof of living under an absolute dictatorship. Furthermore the way they've done it picking on men only is disturbing. There is no reason for this in terms of their usefulness as cannon fodder roll eyes (sarcastic)

Raven Guardia
I think the draft should only be used when needed say after all the people who DO want to fight are killed and we need more people. But I also disagree with it. WHY should people who dont want to figh,t fight? just because the president wants to go to war....why should he make others fight who dont want to..I mean send him as well...if he wants war let him fight it.

spadesmamma61
touchy subject this is....but I tend to agree with Tptmanno1

yerssot
rather bad thing to do, as said: why draw people into a war or "liberation" when perhaps 75% doesn't want it?
very unpopular rule indeed

Lady von Tramp
So you're saying it should be reintroduced as a last resort?

When we run out of human ammunition, it should be used to fill the gaps in the front line? Little bit morbid hun..........

But I see your point about forced confrontation. I would hate to think my life is in the hands of a team member who doesn't want to be there, kinda worrying.

finti
We have a mandatory military service here in Norway, dont need women in there though. From experiense in the military I can say they aint suited to be there

Agent Elrond
Bush legally can't. COngress has to approve it first and that will never happen. Most of the contry is against it and if a congressmen votes for it, they won't be re-elected next term. There will be no draft. Don't worry. It will never happen/.

finti
I hope you get a draft over there

Agent Elrond
Why do we need it? I don't see any threat in the next 50 years, other than China. By then we'll have a robot army, and no one could touch us. But if we have a robot army, then...*coughthematrixcough*

finti
you dont see any threats? what the hell happen on 11/9 then

Agent Elrond
terrorism. There are not major, superpower theats, like during ww2 or the cold war. Our military can handle a simple terrorist country pretty fast. Aghan and Iraq only lasted a few weeks, before they fell.

finti
yeah thats the kind of attitude that will get you a rude awakening, still both Afghanistan and Iraq was a joint venture and not US army alone. And yeah they do a marvelous job in catching Osama Bin Laden too

Lady von Tramp
A rude awakening? I think 11/9 constitutes as that, and they're still standing........

finti
There will be more to happen in the states, I hope it wont but it will

Ushgarak
The days in which the draft is useful for the kind of uses the US makes of its military are over- they ended quite some while ago. A citizen army no longer cuts it- the military 'teeth' have diminished whilst the 'tail' gorws longer.

Re-introducing the draft in the States would be more of a social measure, I think- a statement by the rulers of the way they want things done.

If this is seriously being considered, this is where Bush's relatively moderate Republicanism shows signs of veering back to the right. It's not on, not any more. But is it really being seriously considered?

silver_tears
Technically during WWII women did alot for the military even if not on the front lines. Today they can contribute just as much if not more than men.

finti
have you been in the service?

silver_tears
No, have you been in the service throughout the world or just Norway?

spadesmamma61
Silver hun I dont know ANY women that can pick up an injured man and carry him off the battle field much less engage in hand to hand combat with a man if necessary.

The Omega

finti
encountered French, US, British, German soldiers while I served, they were of the same attitude. females doesnt belong in hte armed services.

silver_tears
Actually I do, you should see my gym teacher messed

silver_tears
Like said, the military is not all about hand-to-hand combat.
Woman can still do alot.

And on the whole bush thing, I think he knows he won't be re-elected, may as well go out with a bang stick out tongue Ruin the country some more happy

rusky
We have the draft here in Romania... though there's talks about switching to a proffesional army, which is great as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure about the situation in the us, as for women in the army... well I've got nothing against that, but they should probably be kept out of the infantry..

Tptmanno1
Yes but you have to realize what country you live in. You country is small, the only way they can retain a sizabel Army is through the draft. The US can get a large milatary using only voulenteers. its just different situations.

Ush> It has been a rumor that has been floating around for a while.

rusky
Precisley, but being small means there's no need for a huge army..

Linkalicious
Nothing quite like being told how to run the United States than by a 16 year old Canadian.

Bush is a whole 7 points behind that less than decent excuse for a replacement, John Kerry. People from other countries should really spend less time b!tching about the American president. he's doing a fine job.

Sure, bring your case about Iraq's needless war, and other things he's done...."wrong." No other president had direct terrorist attacks on Washinton or New York. He rallied his nation, instead of letting it fall to pieces. And he went in and made changes.

Sure non-Americans can say "but more people are dying now than when we were at war." And for good reason. They don't know who the damn enemy is. They bring a poor homeless kid some food, while his dad's off shooting Americans. I've talked to a friend who just got back from Iraq. one of his squad mates was shot and killed because as he approached a group of Iraqi's waving white flags....he got shot. That's cowardice at it's highest degree. Hippy right wingers b!tch and moan about innocent civilian casualties....well who the hell is an innocent civilian???

Bush got rid of Sadam, he got rid of the Taliban, and he's got the mighty Bin Laden hiding in a hole in the ground. Dunno what that is to you, but that sounds like some change to me....and I feel safer in my bed at night.

9/11 wasn't a wake up call, it was a test to see if we were on our toes. We failed miserably, but so would most European countries if terrorists had attacked them before the US. But almost none of you have ever thought of that possibility huh?

As for the draft. I don't see how it could even be allowed by the Government. It stands against everything that our country stands for. I think the only time the government should be allowed to form a draft is if the United States is upon attack at home. Everyone shouldn't be required to go across seas to fight a war, but they should be required to defend their homes.

silver_tears
Oh yea like my age really matters in the case Link roll eyes (sarcastic)
Or the fact that I'm Canadian, American children may not learn about world affairs, but other countries are forced too.

Linkalicious
well. There IS a reason why adults run the country. But i'm sure any teenager could run the US. It's gotta be just as easy as riding a bike. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I still don't see how your school forcing you to study other governments makes you an authority on the issue. American students are tought about their government and economy daily....and they still don't understand it completely. I guess i must have the Candian educational system underestimated if all of their 16 year olds are capable of running a country with 7x the population of their own.

Darth Revan
yes I think the deal is that if you join the military, the gov't will pay for your education.

Link... How can you possibly say that Bush has been doing "a fine job"? He's destroyed our economy, public education, our military (yes Bush destroyed our military... The only reason Bush was able to get as far as he did in Iraq and Afghanistan was because of what Clinton already did for the military), medicare, unemployment has skyrocketed, he's invaded two countries, all of the past administration's work in Israel has been completely undone, and Al-Qaeda still exists. There were no WMD's in Iraq, and Saddam HATED Al-Qaeda. Sure, he was evil, and yes, it is a good thing that he is no longer in power... But there are plenty of other, almost equally evil dictators in the world who we actually support, rather than doing what we did in Iraq. Even if you ignore the war, you can't possibly ignore what he has done here. The war on terrorism is a f*cking joke. In the words of Mike Meyers, you can't win a war against a noun. We're not going to wake up one day to find that our glorious army has actually killed ALL the terrorists in the world. It's simply impossible. That's like trying to round up all the alchoholics, or drug addicts, or prostitutes. And to mention the war again... I feel sorry for the poor guys who have to be over there in that mess. And for those Iraqis that are truly innocent. The thing is, we didn't have to invade it in the first place. The only real good thing we've done is overturned Saddam, who as it turns out wasn't even a danger to us. Finally, Bush promised during his campaign that he wasn't going to go off "nation building". Oops.

silver_tears
Where have adults gotten us anyways roll eyes (sarcastic)

By the way it's 9 times, not 7.

Tptmanno1
Nice DR, Nice

Darth Revan
thanks tpt cool

Agent Elrond
No, the draft isn't being seriously considered. It's political suicide to do so. Bush can't afford to let it pass.

Remember, the are hundred of ideas in Congress. Only, say, 10% are ever seriously considered. The draft isn't.

Their military fell within weeks. That's what I meant. Iraq is hell on Earth. I have no idea what'll happen on June 30. They're blowing up their own people now. Different topic though. Our intelligence was good up to 89, 91, when the Soviet Union broke up. We had human intelligence during the cold war. Now, it's all satallites and echolon (very bads spelling). Had we had spies in Iraq, it could have been different.

Linkalicious
Revan. The war on terror will always exsist. As long as there are maniacs (born everyday) willing to do something to lash out against others. Just like the war on drugs. But using your arguement, it sounds like we should stop trying to catch drug dealers and just let them be. Someone's got to police terrorists otherwise they would run rampid. Sure they still exsists, but not nearly in the same numbers, and not nearly with as much power.

You can't compare Bush to Clinton, Clinton never got attacked by terrorists. He had an easy time in the office.

Everything changes in times of crisis. Who's to say our economy wouldn't be flurishing and our medicare coverage wouldn't be more than adequate if not for 9/11. Everything in this nation changed because of that, and if you honestly feel that a less than 5 years after the attacks, our whole nation is back to it's optimum...then i'm sorry you feel that way.

Bush is dealing with something no president has ever had to handle....and he's doing a pretty good job. Sure John Kerry can use hind sight to point out mistakes by Bush, but if he was in Bush's seat at the time of the attacks....who's to say he would have done any better.

That's like blaming the stock market crash on the President....it's not fair.

Public Education is a result of Local Governments. If you have a problem at your school. Call your governor. big grin

silver_tears
There were always maniacs, Bush is not dealing with something no other president has had to deal with.

Wars have come and gone, and will do so again.

Tptmanno1
But what happens when We are the Terrorists?
MOAB=terror
Shock and awe=terror.

Ushgarak
Seriously guys- please do not turn this political! Keep to the subject alone, don't turn this into a pro-Bush anti-Bush war, that is absolutely the last thing we want.

Linkalicious
I agree that there will always be maniacs.

But he is indeed dealing with something that no other president has dealth with before.

Or is this the 2nd time that planes have been flown into sky scrappers and the Pentagon? confused

silver_tears
Due to incompetency it probably isn't.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't some teenager kid fly his plane into a building last year with a suicide note attached.

Linkalicious
a single engine sessna flying into a building causing the loss of no more than 20 human lives is a bit different than international terrorists systematically hijacking 4 commercial air liners and flying them into sky scrappers and government buildings full of thousands of people.

But sure i guess you could consider them one in the same. Since teenagers commiting suicide are SUCH a threat to mational security.

Agent Elrond
Education is state matter, thought the Feds should do more.
Bush is doing a so-so job.
The Twin towers were attacked when Clinton was in office, and yet he did nothing.

Don't respond. I don't what this to get politcal, as Ush said.

Sliver, yeap it's true. Poor kid. He wanted some attention

But what happens when We are the Terrorists?
MOAB=terror
Shock and awe=terror.

what are MOAB? Shock and awe is not terrorism. The German army used it WW2, yet no one called it terrorism. Rethinl your defination of terrorism.

silver_tears
Any loss of human life by another for no other reason then to stir controversy is terrorism in my view.

Escuse me if it doesn't fit into yours.

This is aimed at Link btw.

Darth Revan
=

Actually, the Great Depression was largely president Wilson's fault, from what I've heard...

Public education isn't all a result of local governments. The federal government has a lot to do with it... And I know this because both my parents work in the public education system. Look at the "No Child Left Behind" act... It's a load of crap. You know how it works? What happens is, everybody takes a big, important test. Now, this test is the same test for every kid in a grade level--students who barely speak English, or have mental disabilities, have to take the same test. There is absolutely no way that Juan from Nicaragua is going to be able to pass the same test everybody else has to take in English. Then, guess what happens if everybody fails? The gov't cuts funding to the school. Wouldn't it make more sense if the schools that had a lot of disadvantaged/immigrant/mentally disabled kids got MORE funding?

And you can't blame all our problems on 9/11. The economy was on its way to hell before it happened.

Agent Elrond
Actually, the Great Depression was largely president Wilson's fault, from what I've heard...

Your heard wrong. Overproduction, and some other factors killed it.

Try to stay on topic. If you want to talk about edu, make a new thread

Linkalicious
yes i agree with you on that Silv, but we're talking on slightly different scales.

One can be handled without concern for future attacks the other can't. Or should we use all of our Home Land Security resources looking for Sleep cells of suicidal high school plane flyers? I know you wouldn't suggest that, so for the sake of this arguement, lets just drop this subject.

How do you feel about the draft?
I think it's wrong, for the previously mentioned reason that it is against all that this country stands for.

Darth Revan
heh sorry embarrasment

still... he could've done a lot of things to try and fix it, but he didn't...

Agent Elrond
People do take our freedoms for advantage, so the should 'pay' for our freedoms, but other than that, there's no reason to have a draft. Read my first post

silver_tears
If you pay for a freedom, it is no longer free confused

Agent Elrond
freedom isn't free
-Tom Clancy

BackFire
Keep it on topic guys. This thread is not for debate for or against Bush.

Darth Revan
that's talking about something else though, which is killing people for freedom wink stick out tongue

Though actually you could reapply it to mean that what we see as "the free world" really isn't free...

im not burlyman
Freedom - you've gotta give
For what you take
-Robbie Williams

Agent Elrond
If there's a draft, I'm joining the Navy

BackFire
If there's a draft, it's to mexico with me.

Darth Revan
Same here... Except I'd go to Costa Rica

Agent Elrond
CR's overrated. PR is nice though.

Darth Revan
No it ain't no CR rocks yes

finti
ehhh Europe has been a target for terrorist attacks decades prior to 9.11

shaber
I'd crawl into a hole in the ground for six months like Jason Voorhees yes

finti
military could be good for you

BackFire
Or it could kill you.

finti
being born is the first step to death

BackFire
So? That doesn't mean you should be forced by the government into a situation where death becomes a much greater threat.

finti
the reason of being in the Military is to protect your country

BackFire
It sure is, but there is still a high risk of dying. And that shouldn't be forced onto anyone.

finti
well without a military no defence

BackFire
But again, there is defense because of a volunteer army, which is how it is now. There is no need for anymore people to go over there, especially if they aren't passionate about it, and even moreso if they don't want to be there in the first place.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about America's army, I have no idea how it is in Norway, maybe people don't volunteer there, and a draft is necessary, but here in America, it certainly is not. There are more then enough people who volunteer for the military as it is. The draft would just be overkill (No pun intended)

Fire
I think the draft is a bad idea cause it eliminates free choice. Maybe in a state of war when you need the men power, but I think that the militairy certainly the US militairy has evolved beyond this point. It's no more the sheer size that matters

finti
might be a little bit to late then

Fire
depends the world wars both lasted about 5 years, in 5 years you have enough time to train your drafties

finti
where, in a country under siege, an occupied territory, abroad? Where will the manpower come from?

yerssot
under the ground wink

The Omega

yerssot
CCC in Belgium...

Tptmanno1
Omega, In the US you gan get free education up to grade 12. After that you have to go to college. And that is extreemly expensive. But the Military has a deal. If you join the Military they will pay for your college. So alot of lower income people did that in like 1997-8 And now they find them selves in Iraq.

Darth Revan
What tpt said... there's public education up through high school, after that, further education is generally very very expensive.

Fire
the CCC never did anything bad
well Finti the US and the UK were both at war during the second world war and still had the time and the man power to get drafties in the war.

Ushgarak
Frankly I don't have a fantastic amount of sympathy for people who sign up for the army, regardless of offered incentives, and then find that this means certain obligations. It does kinda say that on the forms...

Fire
idd
but if you are drafted (as I understand it it is mandatory) there aint much they can do about it.

Ushgarak
Drafted is different but that isn't what was being talked about the the education being paid.

Fëanor
a draft just so that more can go to Irag or Afghanistan is ridiculous and unecessary...it would almost mirror the situation in Vietnam

i'm against it for that reason only...but if it were say a huge military invasion of our country, no need for a draft just give me a gun...it may be a vain attempt to protect what i feel is important to me, but better that than cower somewhere in a tropical setting just because one does not want to die, but then who does...want to die?? not you...certainly not me...

there is no motivation for anyone who is drafted to fight for a country that certainly does not want them there let alone the regular army...

Linkalicious
Obviously not Omega. But does that mean we should stop arresting drug dealers and terrorists? should we just let them do what they want? Bush led his "war on terror" so that people would understand that their actions would not go without punishment. He also did this because he needed to show that the US wouldn't just sit there and let people attack them without doing SOMETHING. I do agree that you can't stop terrorists, but i do not agree that there will always be 10 to replace them. Somewhere in there instead of fueling their fire...it will discourage them. Why haven't repeats of 9/11 happened? because primary supporters and larger compounds of terrorists have been broken down...it's more difficult for them to communicate with one another than it was 5 years ago.

Last i recall Iraq was still in one piece. Actually, if memory suits me correcly...i believe we're in there trying to rebuild what we demolished in the 1st place.

Education only does so much. I've been educated on the usage of drugs.....doesn't do ANYTHING to stop me from doing them.

Drugs and terrorists will always exsist...just limiting the numbers and policing them is the best we as a people can do.

Darth Revan
Link> Thing is... most of the people we've killed haven't been terrorists at all, which, if anything, only makes people more angry at us and possibly breeds new terrorists. The reason repeats of 9/11 haven't happened is because there is more "behind the scenes" stuff going on than we hear about. You would be surprised at how many attempts at terrorism have actually been foiled. It is not because we've gotten rid of a significant amount of terrorists. Wouldn't it be better if we got the countries that are home to terrorism to like us, rather than making them more angry for blowing them up? Killing a lot of people in the hopes of killing a terrorist, even if you do kill a terrorist, accomplishes very little other than breeding more hate for our country. People say Clinton "just looks good" because there was no 9/11 when he was in office. You know why there wasn't? Because people liked us back then.

finti
both countries had armies at the time, they used the draft to gain more manpower. Smaller countries doesnt have that "luxury"

I am a Sock
Not true. The Middle East hated us for supporting Israel. The US was directly attacked by Al-quade, the Twin Towers were bombed, but that was minor. The USS Cole was bombed. Somalians hated us.

Anyway, there's no need to fear a draft. It won't happen. Not for a hundred years. We have enough nukes, cruise missles, planes, tanks and other tech to stop any army. Relax.

yerssot
lets keep it strictly about the draft

Darth Revan
They hated us for supporting Israel because of what Israel was doing... Coming into what the Palestinians had come to think of as their home, and insisting that since they were there first, thousands of years ago, it was theirs. And the Israeli army isn't exactly nice when it comes to controlling Palestinians.

I am a Sock
True, I think we've said all that needs to be said. Most of us are against the draft, for various reasons

G.P
To me this measure is just backward and should exist in any country today. But that's just the opinion of an European (may I remind that the EEC was built on peace ideals...)

The Omega

I am a Sock
wars of the future will either be like the war in Iraq, or the Matrix. Take your pick. To get good intel, we need spies, human spies. A draft won't help our mil, it will only kill it.

Bush is doing it in alpha order. First Afganistan, then Iraq, then N. Korea, then, for the hell of it, Zaire. Ok, so I got that from SNL, it's still good. Believe me, I want Bush to know out every dictator. Will he go 3 wars in 4 years?

Linkalicious
Where is Bin Laden....no one knows. Best bet? Probably in a hole in the ground similar to the one Sadam was found in. He sure the hell isn't anywhere civilized....hope he enjoys his new life.

Why will terrorists always exsist? Because there will always be someone who has a bad day. Someone will be laid off, or dumped, or cheated on...and they will lash out against society.

As long as their is crime in this world. There will always be terrorists or criminals.

What did you really honestly expect the US to do when they had two planes flown into the twin towers? Apologize to Bin Laden for making him so angry that he would do something like that? Hunting him down and making an example for him isn't going to be the best answer...but is it AN ANSWER none the less.

Wanna blame someone....blame religion. It's been telling people what they should and should not do all their exsistence. It's been telling people how to think all their lives. This isn't brother vs brother like it should be......religion makes it "them" vs. "us"

I am a Sock
I know where bin Laden is! No, no I don't. He is hiding an sooner or later, he'll make a mistake. Someone will betray hime, I hope. Anyway, stay on topic

The Omega

I am a Sock
Not if Congress stops him. Iraq, dicator; Afganistan, dictator; N Korea, dictator, some LA countries, dictators. It's pretty easy to tell who is a dictator

btw, call me AE (Agent Elrond, yeah, real bad name change)

The Omega
(AW> Why the name change??)
Pretty easy? What constitutes a dictator? Violation of the Declaration of Human Rights?

Linkalicious

Darth Revan
I realize not all Europeans/Middle Easterners are anti-American, and that most rational people don't hate the entire population of the US... I guess I should've said al-Qaeda, or terrorists... What I meant was that the people who attack us don't hate us for no reason.

I am a Sock
Ummm, no. the Taliban were hiding bin Laden, so we bombed them back to the stone age (like they went far back)

@omega
No idea for the name change.

The Omega
AE> So because the leaders of a country hid a guy, it justified bombing an already poor and underdeveloped country "back to the stone age"? blink

I am a Sock
The Taliban refused to cooperate. They were already hated. The world was against them. World leaders were for that war

The Omega
confused

I am a Sock
y u confused? Now I'm confused.

The Omega
AE> It's that "we bombed them back to the stone-ages"...
That "we" and "them", as if the Afghan people in general supported Osama...
You're scaring me...

Linkalicious
It's ok Omega. I'm still wondering why he said no to my statement, but said nothing to refute it really.

Afghanistan DID help us...they allowed us in their country to look for him.

I am a Sock
'we'=US Mil 'them'=Taliban
not everyone supported the Taliban, alot hated them. There's a good reason to oust a gov't if it's opressive and hated by most of the world including it's own ppl. Seems like I just described Bush, lol.

No offense, but we're waaaay off topic.

finti
as they had a choice

Fire
Guys try to keep this on topic.

finti
Which of you all live in a country where they do have a draft.
We have a draft here in Norway, but through the Norwegian constitution Norwegian soldiers that are drafted/in their mandatory tour of duty cannot be assigned to a foreign country for any kind of confrontation, on the ohter hand those who volunteer into special services of the armed forces can be assigned to it.
Norway now have soldiers in both Afghanistan and Iraq, those soldiers are part of what we call "Telemark Bataljonen" a special forces unit of voulenteers/professional soldiers.

Many people in Norway are against any deployment of Norwegian forces on foreign soil, their opinion is that Norwegian soldiers task is to defend Norway in Norway. The name that covers all branches of the Norwegian armed forces is DEFENCE they say the name sya it all. cool
Well the world is changing so is the "threats" to Norway, I say the Norwegian military have to adapt to the present situation, and thats actually what they do now.

As a fotnote: The bataljons first task in Afghanistan was to redress parts of the gear of the US troops cause their boots WAS NOT suited/good enough for the mountain weather in Afghanistan.

Fire
LOL and that's supposed to be the best army in the world

we don't have a draft anymore finti, sometimes someone lets the idea to fly to bring it back, but those usualy get shot down pretty fast.

yerssot
(about what AE said, based on what a belgian comedian said about that comment: )
That's a lot of BULL! They didn't bomb them BACK to the bloody stone-age, they already WERE in it!

I am a Sock
That sounds exactly like the US in 1914, at least the part abut Norwegian soldiers not wanting to go oversees.

finti
there is no part about the soldiers not wanna go overseas, it is the constitution that says so

I am a Sock
oh, sorry, misread.

finti
thats ok unless it is a leagal paper and stuff

The Omega

Linkalicious
You thought the Taliban were ruling Afghanistan? So there was no organized government in that entire country? confused

The Omega
Link> "Was". As in before Bush send his troops there.
AE says, that Bush decided to attack Iraq because the Taliban-government was hiding Osama and co. Now it sounds as if you say the Taliban wasn't...
I'm confused...

Linkalicious
wait. that's a bit unclear. I never linked Afghanistan and Iraq, all i ever said was that Afghanistan helped out the US by allowing US soldiers into the country to hunt down Bin Laden and his cohorts.

finti
Afghanistan WAS ruled by a Taliban regime prior to the invasion led by the US

Fire
Finti is right, the Taliban however were fighting rebels in afghanistan under the leading of Commander Ahmed Shah Massud.
The leader of the anti-Taleban coalition, Two foreign suicide assassins, who had camouflaged themselves as journalists murdered Ahmad Shah Masood on the 18.06.1380 (09.09.2001) in Khoaja Bahauddin in the Takhar province.(I think they carried Belgian Passports)

Linkalicious
yah, i was kinda engulfed with high school work at the time we went into Afghanistan so my knowledge of what went on their was minimal. I just know when we "rocked them back to the stone age" we merely gave them more rocks to throw at us by destroying their homes.

finti
The opposing party to the Taliban was the Northern Alliance led by Ahmad Shah Massoud, as Fire said he died of the injuries received of a suicide bombers only days before 9.11.
The Taliban regime reign from 1996-2001 and it was led by Mullah Muhammad Omar

Fire

finti
Taliban controled 90%

that is one of the most silly frase I know, the infrastructure of Afghanistan was pretty poor, warthorn by nearly 20 years of conflict, long before the fall of the Taliban regime.
Has to be said that even how technological advanced military the western forces hype themselves up to be they havent been able to track down the top notch of the taliban regime let alone OBL

((The_Anomaly))
I couldent care less, you americans can go military crazy, I dont care cause i dont live in the USA...so whatever

Linkalicious
Finti, i wasn't quoting that term because it was one of my original phrases...i was quoting someone else. I believe it was AE (aka I am a sock)

I think it's a horrible phrase also.

As for The_Anomaly....don't you have some highly contagious disease like SARS to worry about? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I am a Sock
*ahem*
can we stay on topic?

finti
aboot time

shaber
Any country which has the draft is clearly a dictatorship wink Look it up in the dictionary.

Being thrown into a certain death situation at another's whim for no reward only happens to those with no constitutional rights. Even if they think they have them, they are illusory.

finti
its all about defending the right to be sovereign, small countries need the draft to maintain some sort of a military defence. The constitutional right is that there is a chocies for the people to vote for anti military political parties.The majority chose not to, in order to maintain the the military buffer as a defence against a violation toward the democrtacy and soverignity of a country

Fire
we're a small country and we don't have the draft big grin

finti
well I mentioned earlier that the changes in the world with the fall of the eastern block the enemy has shifted too, the new situation is that armies must adapt to the present. Even in Norway it looks like the days of the draft/mandatory service is over. And now move towards a professional armed forces.
yeah and then you also rolled over in about 10 seconds too, and twice stick out tongue

shaber
The way the UK government has managed the military has never been to the country's benefit. Following Finti's logic, the goverment has never attempted to use the draft to defend the individual's right, so the draft is unambiguously a form of slavery.

Thank Goodness it isn't still in operation... currently...

finti
not so in the case of Norway

shaber
What was Quisling's policy towards it?

finti
He actually belived in a strong Norwegian military, After all he was a flaming nationalist

Fire
hey we never got conquered entirely in WWI

finti
they didnt bother with rest eek!

shaber

Fire
well finti if you would know your WWI history you would know that a lot of ppl, belgians, french, english and germans died at the trenches in the north west part of belgium

finti
Just pulling your leg there Fire, of course I know the history of WWI.

Norway dont deploy soldiers abroad the military here is used to defend Norway

misha
ok what is 'the draft?'

shaber
Being compelled to fight in a war when not a member of the armed forces.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>