How does Leia have a memory of her mother?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

gris420rj
All of the script plots seem to indicate that after Leia and Luke are born, Padme dies. How then could Leia possibly have a memory of her mother as indicated in ROJ??

gris420rj
I just now found this -
Leia's recollections as described in Return of the Jedi have no inherent flaws and are valid given the greater context of the saga. But I suspect those looking for contradictions always find them. -PH

darktim1
I really don't know she must have heard stories from senator bail organa her father on alderan.

amity75
I think Leia will be born first and Padme will be able to hold her and so some sort of memory bond will occur. Padme will die before Luke gets removed. Thus through her as yet untapped force powers Leia will give more clarity to Yoda's line "Through the force, many things will you see: the future, the past, old friends long gone"

super shadow GL
The Force....people th force!

yerssot
yeah, if it's true she immediatly dies after giving birth, I suppose it has to be that lame excuse

macehonda
She could be remembering her adoptive mother, Bail Organa' s wife

robakin
Leia only remembers images really ( shes sad ).

yerssot
macehonda: she doesn't, she remembers her mother, her real mother, that's what Lukes asks: her REAL mother

FatBrit
just as yoda felt the emotions of qui-gon live on force news 24, I guess at some point leia would of had that imprinted on her or sensed it.
The force works in mysterious ways, remember there the children of the chosen one.

Wait, if the prophecy is that the chosen one would destroy the emporer and his apperntice, bringing balance back to the force, and would be born of the force
Perhaps yoda made a major error, who else do we know that destroyed them both, became the apprentice to the emporer (later on....), and was born from the most powerful source of the force alive no expression could be an interesting twist

Luke being in fact the chosen one

yerssot
nope, it's been clearly said by GL a few times that it is Anakin who is the Chosen One

Ushgarak
Yes indeed- Luke didn't destroy either of them.

macehonda
yes, but at the time did she know who her 'real' mother was? she refers to bail as her father so going by that line of thought she would consider his wife her mother. hopefully ep3 will answer this question or lucas could just leave it up to fan interpretation

FatBrit
from your point of view roll eyes (sarcastic)

He killed the cloned emporer at least cool

Ushgarak
I suspect GL's point of view is the important one...

Macehonda, she couldn't possibly be talking about Bail's wife, else she would have asked what Luke meant by 'real'. She clearly knows she is adopted. So if you think she is talking about another woman, Bail's wife it is not.

FatBrit
ahh the ignorance of youth ey, ushgarak, if im the future of starwars fandom we have some rocky years ahead of us.

Have we yet to find out how long padme will be alive for after giving birth? Plus you go to remember they say children can hear what goes on while inside the womb, though I dought leia would remember anything as definite as anikan telling padme how "beautiful she is"

treadline
I think Leia, being born first, will have a brief connection with her mother and will be able to recollect those images and feelings she spoke of. She is the grandaughter of the force, that has to count for something.

Sith Master X
Good point, perhaps that may be the case. I sort of feel that it'll be like that, then again it could be images through the force somehow. We'll have to wait and see.

SMX
cool

finti
Leia spoke of remembering feelings and images, that of Padme being sad and that she was beautiful. A child need to be of a certain age to recognize an emotion on another person.
It will be interesting to see how GL deceides uppon the fate of Padme.
Because of Leias line in ROTJ, if Padme dies in ep III then ,in my mind, GL messes it all up and showing great lack of storytelling.

Sith Master X
I'm pretty sure GL will do or show something in Episode 3 that will explain Leia's remembrance of her mother. Whatever it is, I just hope it fits in well.

SMX
cool

robakin
nope, it's been clearly said by GL a few times that it is Anakin who is the Chosen One

That may be true, but in Ep. 2 Anakin couldn't take Dookus force lightning at all, but in ROTJ Luke takes all of the Palpatine's lightning to save 'the chosen one'. Very interesting.

Red Superfly
1) Anakin wasn't expecting force lightning to suddenly hit him. Luke was prepped to face Palpys wrath and probably prepared himself for a barrage of force evilness.

2) Anakin was a Padawan, Luke was a Jedi Knight.

It would be a fair comparison if it was Ep.3 Anakin getting attacked by force lightning.

Ep.2 Anakin got his ass handed to him. Ep.5 Luke had his ass handed to him. Both were "apprentices". Its hardly fair to compare Ep.2 Ani to Ep.6 Luke.

Remember, Ep.3 Anakin = Ep.6 Luke. It's GL's little parrelel to show where father and son went down different routes at the same point in their life. Anakin turned, Luke didn't.

Besides, how do we now know that Palpatine didn't just try to horribly damage Luke? Remember the "icing on the cake" for Anakin to turn into the final Darth Vader, is to fall into a lava pit (or something along those lines) - in the light of the prequels, Palpatine could have been seen to do the same to Luke, horribly wound him, but keep him alive, and end up doing the same as his father.

It also poses the question as whether Vader/Anakin saved his son from dying, or from turning into the next Darth Vader?

Just thoughts, thats all.

Ushgarak
Err, Luke was also a learner. He's not a full Jedi until the end of ROTJ, or at least he had only beocme one at that instant.

But it is still not a fair comparison, as you say, Anakin was simply not prepared. Obi-Wan dealt with it with great ease. Besides which, the lightning was being used to hurt. Anakin was ALSO thrown at high speed into a wall.

Red Superfly
I never understood why Luke could only become a Jedi Knight by facing Vader. Obi-Wan became a Jedi Knight by slaying Maul, as Qui-Gon said. The Jedi are a bunch of sadists! Yoda literally wants blood!

OB1-adobe
I am not going to get in a debate with leia and mother thing. Hey Red Superfly. Do think the title of 'ROTJ' is referring to Luke being the Return of the Jedi in the galaxy, or Anikan is the Return of the Jedi?

SlickRick69
all of Anakins millions of midichlorians remember Padme's sweet sweet sexy body, heart and soul... and those were the midichlorians that got passed into Leia, while the killer cool Jedi rebel fighter warrior midichlorians went into Luke, so that's why Leia remembers her mother while Luke remembers only to rebel and resist and fight and become Jedi knight, like his father before him...

OB1-adobe
"Killer Cool?" Oh God, I think I'm gonna puke! sick

SlickRick69
yeah still, whatever, it's still the midichlorians, passed on genetically, that make it possible for Leia to have memories of her mother without really being 'of age' to remember such things, if its true that Padme dies soon after giving birth and the babies are taken away and hidden from Anakin/Vader...

all about the midichlorians, baby!

Ushgarak
I think the idea is that a set of tests determines if you are ready, but if you kinda demonstrate that anyway they skip that bit...

Luke would only have whined about tests anyway...

yerssot
how are you sure midichlorians can pass through generations? only thing we know is that it's possible that you have families of forcies, that's about it

finti
I always saw it as Anakins return , but it can also be that with the result of ROTJ Luke became a Jedi which ment the jedis were back after the death of Yoda. I still kling to the first though

Sith Master X
I always though it was the result of Luke becoming a Jedi in ROTJ, though it completely makes sense that it could be Anakin's return from the dark to the light. Depends on how you look at it.

SMX
cool

Havok
do we know how long after episode 2 episode 3 takes place? I mean i know the movies hit theaters tree years apart and i think in the OT the tme was supposed to be three yeears in between. So I guess Luke and Keia could actully be three years old in episode 3

Darth Maverick
Ep3 happens 2 or 3 years after Ep2 and Leia and Luke are born in it.

finti
3 years between ep II and EP III

Sith Master X
That's the actual wait between movies as well. lol

SMX
cool

spadesmamma61
and its just too damn long sad

Xam
long you say! not long mamma! the shroud of the darkside has fallen begun the KMC wars has!

just kidding it is freaking long

Sith Master X
Ah but the longer you wait, the more anticipation you build up, makes it more exciting, well at least it does for me...but it kills me as well to wait, just when the time comes, there's not a greater feeling.

SMX
cool

Darth Jello
as far as i know, to become a knight you must either pass the trials or KILL a sithlord

El Toro De Brah
killing a sithlord seems just a bit too aggresive for the jedi order. i think its a step into becoming a jedi knight but i dont think they purposely go hunting down sith.

i think that they need do something meaningful or pass the trials.

finti
consider the fact that the Jedi belived the Sith to be instinct, i dont think the killing a sith lord is an option at all.
Some sort of trial, at least according to Obi Wan in TPM

yerssot
thought he said trials (plural) messed

shadow225588
Anakin is the chosen one he destoryed the empire watch ROTJ then youll get what im saying

Master Revan
She Probably remembers Queen Organa of Aldarann.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.