Underrated Anime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Trinity_Matrix
Okay, so there's a thread for overrated anime, so what are your thoughts on anime that were underrated?

I'd definitely say Pilot Candidate/Candidate for Goddess. I loved that anime, and Adult Swim did not give it its worth. I mean, they're replaying Cowboy Bebop for the 3rd or 4th time, when I think PC was only aired once. They should seriously put that back on. (but don't get me wrong, I love Cowboy Bebop. I just want to see Pilot Candidate again).

Also, Escaflowne. Most people have never even HEARD of this anime, and it's one of my favorites. The only time it was aired in the US was the first 9 or so episodes on Fox Kids, and it was really heavily edited. It's a great show. Also, the movie was great.

Any other anime that anyone thinks was underrated?

BlackHatDefect
umm..i made a thread for this already..why didn't you just reply to THAT one
awwell.As for Escaflowne,i think its too popular LMAO!
As for my picks,they are these
Strawberry Eggs-This one is great.Its about a poor guy who(after not geting any teaching jobs/his landlady threatning to make his dog into soup)desides to use his last resort,he crossdresses to teach at a female only teacher school.The principal lets bys learn there,but shes HATES men,therefor won't hire them.Its Hidiki's job to proove that men can teach as well as women,and with the help of his little old(and evil)landlady,he jorneys into the fine art of xdressing^_-personally,i love this,its got a bit of everything so that all adiances can be entertained!

Puni Puni Poemi-i made a thread about this.Its a spinoff of Exel Saga made by the same people.Even the creators say its MUCH funnier but i NEVER hear ppl talk about Puni Puni like they talk about Exel..hell iv ever heard anyone tal about Puni Puni.If you like funny,this is your anime...its the funniest of all time!!

Hot Gimmick-This ones actually gaining popularity..which is good.Its about a girl(Hatsumi)who lives in a houding complex with an evil owner.Her 15 year old sis might be pregnate and the landladys hot but mean son threatens to tell his mom unless Hatsumi becomes his slave.Its a very romantic story,where your prince can't save you.This one is only a manga but shoujo fans..this is a must-read..

Trinity_Matrix
I My Me! Strawberry Eggs is great, I have one of the DVDs and it's really funny big grin I've heard of Puni Puni but haven't seen it...it's still really new, though. I've also heard of Hot Gimmick but haven't read it yet...

What about Fruits Basket? I love that one, but I don't really know that many people who even know what it is blink

BlackHatDefect
Furuba is SOOO not underrated..but its one of the best.Type searches anywhere/yu'll find loads of fansites everywhere,same with Escaflowne.YUou should do that because your area is a small monority compared to the world wide wed.TRUST ME both are very popular

el barto
I watched PC and it was alright. They charactors just anoyed me.

fungrl515
A lot of the new manga and some of the crossdressing ones. I tried looking for more stuff on Girl Got Game, etc and like nothing turned up. oh well.

also, I love Escaflowne, don't get me wrong, but it's not underrated. If it was, then it wouldn't be constantly rented form Blockbuster. I mean, it's never in cuz people always get it before I do. sad anyway, Fruits basket, or furuba, it's really nto underrated. The English translation is actually becoming a major hit. It's one of the top new + most popular ones. Believeme, it's really not. I remember when no one hadf heard of it. Now, everyone knows it.

One that I feel is really underrated is Boys over Flowers, or Hana yori Dango. i love this one. But, it seems like no one's heard of it. It was first made in the 1990s, so the fashion is off, but it's really entertaining. I really love it. the first time I had heard of it was in a fanfic crossover. I loved the storyline, so I was detrmined to find it. I finally found it in Waldenbooks. Now, I absolutely love it. I highly recommend it.

BlackHatDefect
I DO TOO!HanDan is one of the best manga out there!!ALL SHOUJO FANS,THIS IS A MUST-BUY!!!

Serket
Cat Soup and Wolf's Rain. I can't ever find any detailed stff on any of them, just people's opinions.

PerfectCell17
I would say that BoogiePop Phantom is pretty underrated. Nobody I know has even heard of it... It is pretty good though. smile

moni_v
A lot of Hayao Miyazaki's/Studio Ghibli's stuff is totally unknown in America - my personal favorite example would have to be "Nausicaa" - this movie was actually horribly mutilated in editing and re-packaged horrifically as "Warriors of the Wind" - it was such a bad representation of it that Miyazaki-san swore he would never allow it to be released in America ever. I happen to have an overseas-release DVD of this movie, and I can see why he was so upset. It's a wonderful stoey, and according to Miyazaki himself, it is his favorite of all the stories he has helped to create. For anyone who knows how prolific this man has been with the good storylines and excellent anime projects, you will know what it means for him to say this is his favorite. If anyone wants to see the terror that is "Warriors of the Wind" I know Blockbuster and Hollywood Video both keep this title in their kids sections - and of course they don't even carry the real thing (well, they can't, technically).

However, I hear because of his deal with the Devil, I mean, ooops, DISNEY, Nausicaa will shortly be released here in America, as per their contract with H. Miyazaki.

JLred
I like FullMetal Alchemist but alot of people call me childish and say that show sucks.....

Jace_Rave
that show doesn't suck
wow, you guys sure watch a lot of underground (lol) anime...I haven't even heard of some of these shows...
underrated...hmmm...Full Metal Panic??? I haven't heard a lot about it from other people, but I really like it

FireTiger
Escaflowne is so great! I own the entire DVD collection and the film. Though I can't decide which I like better. The girly part of me loves the series better because of the whole, "Van and Hitomi or will it be Alan and Hitomi" but the die hard anime action fan loves the movie because Van was a lot cooler in the movie. Plus, his brother was really wicked in that. Drieden was a little dry in the film though, I thought his character in the series was a lot cooler.

Another underrated series I think is Sorcerer Hunters. Its halirious.

Jace_Rave
yeah, how is Sorceror Hunters??? It's part of the ADV essential anime colection now, so I actually see it on the shelf now. I want to get it but don't know if I should

Saber_Apricot
Escaflowne is alright... It was on WB for a while, but they had to edit it so much. I don't really like the tv series as much as the movie though.

I think that Juuni Kokki is way underrated. I believe that Juuni Kokki is one of the best anime series out there. You can buy it on dvd in the United States now. The first few episodes aren't that great, because it's a lot like Fushigi Yuugi, but then it picks up. The storyline is pretty complex, I love it.

Crayon Shinchan is underrated, but that's because it's not in the United States yet. It's being brought over here though, so people will start to know what it is.

Hana Yori Dango is good, but the music can be a bit annoying.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.