Old People in the Media

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

A Talking Dog
I just viewed a "Skittles" commercial where an elderly woman and an elderly man suddenly break out into rap. And this is suppose to show how spontanious and fun eating skittles can be, by showing how funny this commercial is.
My point is that it isn't.

Old people in general aren't funny and should be showed the metaphorical back door of the media industry. If I see another old person skateboarding, dancing/rapping, or doing something else akin to that, I will probabaly get a tooth ache...after having screamed with anger.
Old people are as funny as, say, the holocaust. Granted that the holocaust may or may not have had it's moments, I don't know/I don't care, but my point still stands.
OLD PEOPLE AREN'T FUNNY.

tns
my grandmother is funny and she is 75 years old

A Talking Dog
I'm glad she is funny and i am glad that you extract...giddiness from it, but just as long as i don't see her in an add or a music video, i am fine.
My opinions are focused at old people in the media, not any random old person.

Linkalicious
Forget that though.

What's with McDonalds and Sprite with their whole Hip Hop image in advertising.

I don't know where in the world you'll find teams of 5 on 5 roller-basketball. And i don't know a person in their right mind that would eat a big mac between games...roll eyes (sarcastic)

Sprite....no
You and that little fro' headed, slang spitting, troll doll need to give it a rest. It was cute for one commercial, but i think advertising to africans and only africans is going to be your downfall. It'd be nice to see atleast one white, chinese, mexican, or whatever other race i missed...in your commercials.

A Talking Dog
I KNOW!
what is up with that?

shellie
sorry but one of the funniest commercials is for a cell phone company and the old ppl r dancing and getting their "groove" on . cracks me up every time .

A Talking Dog
uh...sorry, but i think i had that same commercial in the back of my mind whilst writing this.
I just cannot see why anyone would think something like that is the least bit funny. I see it more as an insult to intelligence and I find it so horribly irritating that I feel ashamed of the person who made that commerical because he or she is part of the human race.
I just see it as such a shameless and stupid way to make someone laugh. Like that 4 flags commerical where the scary old man suddenly starts dancing. Or in your case, where old people start talking "hip-hop".

It baffles me to think what the makers of the commercial would like you to think this:
"Look, it is an old person, they are too old to do anything other than tell stories of themselves when they where kids or, uh, walk really slow...oh! wait a tick! they are dancing! that is so devilshly original and, might I add, funny! that from now on every time i see an old person i will laugh".
Have some dignity please.

Linkalicious
I was going to mention that commercial. Actually i mentioned it, but i accidentally clicked on my PM box before sending the post.

I hate that commercial with every essence of my being...

A Talking Dog
Good.
Someone agrees with me.

WindDancer
At one time during their existence those old people were young folks like some of us. Maybe that's what Skittles candy is trying to imply. But who really understands people in advertising.

A Talking Dog
I'm sure all of us "smart "folk"" got that. but that is just bad advertising. If you think about it, Skittles, which is a candy, is suppose to be marketed towards "kids" {in the modern sense of the word} i.e. ages 24 and below. So, i can see what the "person" who made this commercial was thinking, that if they take this old couple and make them eat skittles, they will act young.
This is the problem!
Because since the product is a CANDY! and since the majority of it comsumers are YOUNG PEOPLE such as the age range of "kids" expressed above, it is completley redundant and pointless to show OLD PEOPLE ACTING YOUNG.
AND IT IS NOT FUNNY.

...plus...it would be just easier to show "kids" rapping after eating the candy rather than old people. Even though THAT wouldn't be funny either, it will still be a major improvement over the existing commercial, both marketing wise and, uh, comedy...wise.

diegocala
So are you saying that you have never had the satisfaction of french kissing someone's Grandmother? cool

diegocala
Here's a pic of my granny if you want a shot at the goods

BackFire
Old people suck. They always think they're right, no matter how stupid their opinion is. They also always think that they deserve respect from younger people, jsut because their skin is ugly and gross. Have you ever touched an old person skin? It feels like a Rhino's vagina.

Old people have no business in commercial, movies, music, or anywhere outside of the retirement home.

Linkalicious
What the f**k?

What next?

Midgets and retards should get donkey kicked down a flight of stairs?

BackFire
No, midgets and retards aren't nearly as annoying and whiney.

A Talking Dog
diegocala, is it?

no. sorry. i have never kissed a grandmother.

but whatever the hell that...thing is, i'm sure it is a very nice person underneath the decaying skin cells.

plenTpak52
I'd rather have an old person in a commercial than behind the wheel of car, that's for damn sure!

shellie
i fail to see your point in this issue TD . maybe its just me , whatever .

there is no difference in old "scaly" people acting hip-hop and the younger generation picking on the senior citizens in this world . its more disgusting to me to see someone critisize you for your age then it is to see an old person "trying" to act young .

this thread shoulda been called " Hating on The Old "

shellie
shock

thats the most craziest thing ive seen in your post .

crazy_c
do people actually pay attention to commercials? blink

Linkalicious
he said Rhino Vagina! yes

shellie
yeah im still scared by that one .

the nightmares r to much .

A Talking Dog
"this thread shoulda been called " Hating on The Old "

No. The thread has kind of segued off into the territory of hating old people. I hate old people in commercials. My points are very clear, read my last posts.

shellie
so your saying the only comercails old elderly people should be in is for "Depends" undergarments or something along that nature ..

ok i understand your view a little bit better now but totally disagree.

<<Solo>>
1.Stereotypes are gay.

shellie
thank you solo , guess thats what ive been getting at , just not very well .

<<Solo>>
Lol Those commercials don't get on my nerves, The Mcdonalds commercials do though mad

Linkalicious
I don't care much for old people. But i think TV should come up with a special warning (like the emergency broadcast system) for when commercials are selling feminine napkins, tampons, and vagisil.

It's one thing for girl to use those things, and yes i understand the need to market them. but i'd say just about 100% of the time...i see one of those and i have to jump out of my chair and race for the remote control.

I don't think the commercials need to go off the air entirely, but a warning system of some sort would really help. It's difficult to tell those vagisil commercials because they start out with girls smiling and stuff....then they come outta no where with the "feminine itching and burning." I mean for christ sakes.....some people could be eating at the moment! No one needs to hear about extra cheese on the taco.....when they're eating tacos!

Linkalicious
It's 2:10....what's up with ya friend?

shellie
sick

diegocala
Well, there's a mouthful!

WindDancer
I don't understand what's the BIG deal about old people in commercials. No one is forcing you to watch those commercials. Why not just get off the sofa and take a break from tv?

A Talking Dog
To shellie,

all I am saying is the old people need to see their place in the media and dancing around and acting deceptivley young is certainly not their place. Yes. I would rather see them for an old person diaper add then this. At least they retain much more dignity in that case.
But even that isn't my point. My point from the start was that with all said and done, old people acting young is commercials isn't funny...at all. And for some reason there has been many commercials taking to this formula of an old person suddenly breaking out into dance/rap or skateboarding. AND THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE FUNNY!? i said in one of my last posts that it doesn't work....on almost every level.

To WindDancer,

break from TV? are you mad? It's summer! when I am watching a show I rarely change the channel. So, when I come across such filth as old people dancing, I, by habbit, am forced to watch it. Even if I could change the channel, the image is still burned into my mind, and I feel I need to confront it in any possible way. My complaints are on these grounds, and it shouldn't be me who has to change, it should be the people making this... clap-trap...this...poo.
havn't you heard that the customer is always right. it works the same way for television consumers.

shellie
i understand you a little bit more (still dont agree)

obviously someone likes it enough becuase of the popularity that keeps them on the tv .

even if it isnt funny to you it got your attention and isnt that what they r trying to do anyway . young ppl act "hip-hop" alot . old ppl dont . so in that respect it works to get your attention .

Linkalicious
the problem isn't the old people.

The problem is hip hop....that stuff sucks. I hope rap gets banned by the government.

shellie
matter of personal opinion .

A Talking Dog
"even if it isnt funny to you it got your attention and isnt that what they r trying to do anyway . young ppl act "hip-hop" alot . old ppl dont . so in that respect it works to get your attention ."

No. No. What I am saying is that, even if it did get my attention, which in some respects, it did, it wasn't the attention that the product wanted or needed.
The attention that you speak of, is me eventually going to buy the product after being "wow-ed" by the ad.
Thats where I say it failed, quite miserably. A Moose taking a crap would also get equal attention from me, though that isn't the matter at hand. The Problem is what it is suppose to represent.

shellie
i see

shellie
well TD , i had to go around my ass to get to my thumb , but i understand what your saying now .

i personally do think they are humorous but to each is own . right ?

A Talking Dog
Stating one's point is so unbelievably pointless because 9 times out of 10, you will never get it across. Which is why I think arguing is pointless and stating opinions are pointless.

So, uh, whatever...however the cookie crumbles is fine with me.

someone somewhere will always derive satisfaction from seeing an old person skateboard.
I, myself, do not, nor do I understand, but like I said, that is how the cookie crumbles.

A Talking Dog
...plus, the whole "old person" fiasco has become a cliche by now, so many commercials have done it.
So, I think the public is becoming more and more afraid of change and originality and just wants to stick with the same old crap {the pun, at first, was not intentional, but then I liked it, so it stays}.

Kaleanae
I've seen some commercials with old people in it and most of the times is to make fun of them, like a Six Flags one that I saw

A Talking Dog
it is still not funny.
they could pick much better subject matter to make fun of.

Linkalicious
Like retards and midgets?

A Talking Dog
............................................................................................no.

retards and midgets are the obvious choice for "humour". I think we as human beings, should have out grown that.

shellie
just curious TD , how old you are ? or would you rather not say .

A Talking Dog
why do you ask?

i'm not an elderly person

shellie
well i didnt expect you to be old . but i dont suspect you're under 19 either . im guessing 20-35 .

why , cuase im curious . if you dont want to say , fine . i just like to know . smile

A Talking Dog
lets just say I am over 19 and under 21.

Fëanor
only if it were that easy...i don't see what the hoopla is about the commercials either...obviously the ad media is doing a wonderful job if you do nothing for the 2 mins. to watch those brainless mindless adverts...and here's the catcher...you actually remember them...

me...i have this wonderful device that stops commercials in its tracks...a remote..click click change channel...

but besides all that, why do i get the feeling that there are a lot of hostilities towards the elder in general...???

shellie
mm...ok smile

Fëanor
let's define elderly...

to 10 year old you are...

Waggy the Dog
I don't understand your sentence structure.
is it something new?

Yung Wun
Don't like old people, eh ATD?
You might enjoy this avatar stick out tongue

Fëanor
i have no words to comment on your question...at what should've been obvious statement...

Waggy the Dog

Yung Wun
I was trying to anger you by embracing what you dislike. By the tone of your post, I don't think I was successful. Oh well, I try.....

Waggy the Dog
Yes. It was a GOOD try.
..and it was fairly honourable.

...Like a Samurai!

Mr Zero
I can only hope that you said this hoping for some kind of shock value - you know, the kind that would have worked about 10-15 years ago but now just makes you look like you just came out of a coma and didn't quite catch up.

In any case - I'd be happy to put you straight about whats funny and whats not. The Holocaust is as funny as your entire family getting raped and shot in the head.

I'm laughing just thinking about it - your whole family naked in a puddle of blood . Damn thats some good chuckles - especially if you have a kid sister. Whoo-hoo, I may pee my pants. I'd post that dancing banana smiley here but I'm laughing so much I can't concentrate.

Waggy the Dog

Waggy the Dog
"Whoo-hoo" ? "chuckles" ?

why do you live in "London baby Yeah!" ?

Waggy the Dog

BackFire
Peeing your pants is cool. You aint cool, unless you pee your pants.

SlipknoT
laughing Look everybody billy pee'd his pants

SlipknoT
No offense but that scared me shitless

SlipknoT
thanks alot I was eating cheetos sad you ruind my cheeto experience

SlipknoT
In any case - I'd be happy to put you straight about whats funny and whats not. The Holocaust is as funny as your entire family getting raped and shot in the head.

I'm laughing just thinking about it - your whole family naked in a puddle of blood . Damn thats some good chuckles - especially if you have a kid sister. Whoo-hoo, I may pee my pants. I'd post that dancing banana smiley here but I'm laughing so much I can't concentrate.
Dude thats hillariouse laughing laughing you should go into stand up. laughing o man I'm rollin on the floor with uncontrolable laughter

Waggy the Dog
Peeing your pants isn't cool. Because it stinks. Plus, when you pee your pants in bed, it feels like there are two streams of piss, Which feels really awful. Peeing in one's pants' is a horrible thing.

SlipknoT
why do you pee in your bed What the f**k? and everybodys doing it. be cool. pee your pants! thumb up

SlipknoT
Backfire...why were you finger banging Rhino's confused

Waggy the Dog
"why do you pee in your bed What the f**k? and everybodys doing it. be cool. pee your pants! thumb up"

this conversation has peacefully fizzled out.

BackFire
Hey, I have my reasons.

SlipknoT
but you said when you pee your pants in bed it feel like 2 streams of piss and so I said why do you pee your pants in bed....so why do you even though its cool to pee your pants wink

Waggy the Dog
uh, I was, like, eleven. I don't just go around peeing in my pants. It is neither cool or suave, though it is a little funny. But, I still stand firm at my conviction, "this conversation has peacefully fizzled out."

SlipknoT
I'm not being seriouse, it was from that movie Billy Madison. ever heard of it

Waggy the Dog
Yes. I hated it. it was too sarcastic for my nature. Sarcastic and Ironic.

BackFire
Anywho, Waggy is right, this thread is dead. It's gone from talking about old people to pissing yourself. I know, it could be argued that the two go hand in hand, but I'm still going to close it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.