Switching Hard Drives

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Linkalicious
Ok so i built my own computer. It's a sweet little machine...

I have a 200 gig harddrive for it already...but it's missing a lot of software and a whole crap load of pics from my digital camera.

I still have my old computer, but I took the graphics card out of it to put in the new one. (replacement card doesn't fit in old comp...it's too big because the floppy drive hits it)

Can someone help tell me how to add a new harddrive to my new computer?

I know I have to make the 200 gig one the Master. And the old 20 gig one with the pics the Slave.

But what else would i have to worry about?

I'm sure BIOs need to be changed....but is there anything else?

Fire
euhm lemme get back to you on that one Link

Linkalicious
I'm just really worried that I'll screw up the exsisting configuration on my new computer.

It's kind of like "if it's not broken...don't fix it."

but i really want the stuff from my old hard drive to be accessible....

Fire
lol well Link I always ask my mates to come and do it

I'll try to translate what he told me on MSN

Basicaly just plug it in, make sure your jumper is in the correct position. insert the cable and the power. check your bios to see if he finds it.

MAKE SURE THE JUMPER IS CORRECT else he wonb't recognize your first hard drive either

(there I tried)

PS: Link if you still dont trust it PM for that guys email addy, he's great with comps, he does it for a living.

Raz
The jumper setting is very important on the HDD, the instructions should have come with your harddrive.

For the BIOS, I would just run the auto-detect option.

dave123
The jumper setting is very important on the HDD, the instructions should have come with your harddrive.

For the BIOS, I would just run the auto-detect option.

dave123
woah raz, ain't that a coincidence roll eyes (sarcastic)

i'm so smart smart

Linkalicious
this isn't very much freakin fun right now. I finally pryed open my old POS HP and somehow managed to get the hard drive out of the cage.

But it doesn't have a little legend on the HD to set the jumpers. I know how to do it on my new comp because it comes with a legend on the HD and i have the manual. But I wanted to switch my old HP HD from Master to Slave and i don't know how to do it.

The name of the HD is like Maxtor N256 or something. Gonna go check their website...just thought i'd check here first

yerssot
sorry link, I can't even access their site messed

yerssot
on a second look, is this usefull?

http://www.resellerratings.com/forum/t47319.html

Linkalicious
it's a slow damn connection...i wouldn't be surprised if they even have that information on their site...the HD is like...7 years old. embarrasment

yerssot
have you tried the link I posted? it has to do with the settings of the jumpers

Linkalicious
yah i'm waiting for it to connect still

yerssot
hope it works for ya smile if not, sue raz and tex

I am a Sock
y Tex? He didn't even do anything

yerssot
for some reason people here always blaim tex

Linkalicious
it worked...

All i have to do now is get one of the additional power cords to reach one of the fan's cord.

Having to re-arrange the power cables made it so that I don't have a fan blowing on my Sound Card and network adapter, and that cable is hooked up to the LCD display for the Processor and HD temperature thermometers...so i'm missing the display on the front and 1 fan.

Still shouldn't be that big of a deal...

Fire
get a new PSU with more power cable endings

Linkalicious
I got 3 power cables i can hook up, i just couldn't get them to reach. I really just need to get under there and re-wire most of the comp. A lot of the lines are tangled. I just procrastinate entirely too much.

BackFire
What other components are in your new computer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.