Life after death?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AmS-gUrL
Do you believe in life after death? Or do you believe in some heaven/hell we all go to after we die?

theReject
Heavenbig grin

TKDMaster
I believe that there is a heaven and hell.

Pyrofly
i believe both

Tassie~Cyanide~
I have some theories, I don't know where they come from.
But I think that maybe most people are re-born. There's alot more to it, but that's generally my opinion.
See, I just can't percieve how Heaven would look like, if it were. confused

Royal Knight
I am not really sure if I believe life after death---because well I am not DEAD yetstick out tongue

Holy Man
YEah there's a heaven and hell

Arroch
I don't really believe in heaven or hell as totally different and separated places and I also don't think the same person ever really lives again after having died. I like the idea, but I don't believe in it.

Maybe there is just dark waiting...

There's only one thing for sure,
Life after death is a great way to control or oppress people because nobody can prove you wrong and it's something everybody kinda wants to know - and beliefs are the only answer to it.
Just look at the medieval church in Europe...

I cannot really believe in any of those ideas and prefer not knowing it until it concerns me and I am dead. I will know soon enough wink

BackFire
I believe we become worm food

WindDancer
I think I will be cremated when I die. Is kinda odd but some cultures believe that creamation is a bad for the soul (that is if you believe in the soul) Who really knows what happens after a person dies. As far as the organs go they stop working and the brain turns off. So it's really hard to know what happens after we died.

Kaleanae
As Backfire said... worm food

Line
that's just it. wether something happens to us or not after we die all depends on wether or not we have something that outlives death, such as a soul. and as you said, that doesn't involve the body, which stops working.
the idea of a soul is strange. where would it be placed, so to say? inside us? around us? I read a short story in which a man has all his organs and limbs, including his head, replaced by someone else's. the question is wether he's still the same person? or did the soul go with his body (which doesn't really exist anymore)? or did it stay with him, though he has no body of his own any longer?

Baylin
I believe that how you live in one life determines what kind of life you are dealt in the next. Also that there are old souls and new ones contstantly to-ing and fro-ing as people are born and die.

moonwalker741
great, now im gonna get re-born into a broom stick, or a dogs chew toy....

Fëanor
is life now worth so little that one would want to believe there is life AFTER our physical bodies die?

one will never know that question until they have crossed over that threshold...

AmS-gUrL
I think there must be something after this life, since we dont really have a purpose here. There has to be more, if there isnt...I'll cry sad

Line
you think we'd have a purpose in the 'afterlife?'

Fëanor
our purpose in life is survival...live each day as if it were your last...

beyond that is wishful thinking...

Exabyte
A purpose? Hmm... I don't think so... as little purpose as we have now, except for finding answers for our own curious ego and maybe help others to find them; but I doubt that there would be many questions left in an afterlife - if it differs from our life now and isn't just a reincarnation.

AmS-gUrL
well..theres bound to be a purpose of life, and if we cant find out what it is now then maybe we could in the 'afterlife'.

WindDancer
That kinda of thought goes back to the Greeks. The idea that the soul animates the body has change from culture to culture. We know that the data computer we call "the brain" is what makes us understand. But once the brain is dead does that mean our understanding ends? Maybe not, since our thoughts and ideas are not materialize they can reform in another essence. Thus it can be consider that the soul is not a learning entity (like the brain). But a vessel of that which we originally came from before birth. It comes down to the debate of essence preceeds existence. Just because our bodies have seize to function does that mean the existence is over? No, I don't think so.

That something that animates our bodies (if you want to call it a soul) maybe the key to our existence, or even our purpose in life. Maybe that something that we call "God" is our source from which we came from and then return to when we die. Hmmm......This ponders me. wink

silent_kisses
Very Matrixy laughing out loud returning to the source and all raver

I believe in heaven and hell, and yet I believe in re-incarnation.

I think that if you completely completed what you were set on earth to do, and have fulfilled your goals and ambitions then you will either go to heaven and hell, depending on the nature of those goals and such.

But if haven't fulfilled what you were meant to do, then you retrun with another chance.

Confusing, but I don't think there's a clear answer to the question.

VENOMfan
I have been thinking about somthing....when you die your body shut's down right? your hart stop's beating....

but your brain can go 5 minutes without air to nurish it. maybe only 1 or 2 minutes of quality thought function but here is my point

If you have a peacfull death like dieing in your sleep or just kinda keel over wouldnt you still be able to think for a short while?

I cant imagine what that must be like, knowing your dead before the lights finaly go out.

Id rather get hit by a truck

silent_kisses
Wouldn't you head towards the light and not look back laughing out loud
I know I would, I would be too afraid to look back and see life from an omnipotent perspective.

AmS-gUrL
apparantly if you're beheaded, your head still 'lives' for like 2 minutes messed I find that kinda scary...confused

Line

AmS-gUrL
but in that case, what would be the purpose of our existence according to you? I dont think its possible that were just here... for no reason.

Line

Line
well, I'm not a religious person, so I don't believe we've been created with a particular plan in mind. we just sort of happened. as such, what would our purpose be except just being? we've got the ability to think up reasons of our own, though, but these won't outlive death (except in the minds of those who're still alive).

AmS-gUrL
Im not a religious person either, but I still cant imagine that we would just exist without a purpose. But I guess we'll find out eventually (when we die)

Line
that's true. we definately will. and hopefully we'll meet and you'll be able to say "told you so!" wink (if the purpose is a good one, that is big grin )

WindDancer
Similar to what you saying is what I have in mind. I like to separate mind and body when it comes to life and death. The brain is only an organic hardware. Whereas the mind is the software (yeah I know I sound like as if I been watching the Matrix too much stick out tongue).

I tend to think that reality is more than the objects that we see. Deep inside there has to be an ultimate truth to them. Maybe our minds are too materialistic to see that which lies beyond a thing. I think that once the body dies our mind expands to a larger degree of understanding. So maybe our mind doesn't die. It could be eternal.

bigbadbike2
Without the thought of some sort of eternal life, life itself is without hope. We will live our lives in desperation knowing we have nothing in the end. With this thought in mind I believe everyone believes in life after death. It is only what happens in the afterlife we argue.

Furthermore if we look back with a rational mind over how we began as a human race, we will realize human destiny. We must have came from some sort of God; Darwin himself says that in his own teaching. If we admit to ourselves the truth that we did come from God then the hereafter is explained. We are made to have eternal life with God, and the purpose for this life is to prepare us for it.

AmS-gUrL
that'd be cool laughing out loud I always love saying I told you so roll eyes (sarcastic)

Forcizzle
not really, we just reap the benefits that we did on earth, so what we do down here affects what will happen up there

Line
so we sort of become our ideas? what if our ideas are not known to anybody else than ourselves? wouldn't they dissapear along with us then? and don't we consist of more than just our ideas? ( well, I haven't watched the Matrix too much myself, so if you do not tell me that's how you sound I won't be able to wag my finger at you wink )

I guess this is very hard to discuss. I don't think there is such a thing as an ultimate truth, though I do think there are as many personal truths as there are people. these truths won't concern others but ourselves though and won't continue existing after our death (but since death, in my oppinion, ends all, we luckily won't be around to feel bad about that wink )

bigbadbike: I don't see why life would be without hope? and I don't agree that everybody necessarily believes in a life after death. some people just can't. this may make them regard life differently, even make them scared of death, but I don't think people who do believe in an afterlife are never themselves afraid of dying. dying is scary as hell and we deal with it in different ways.

NyC-gUrL: so do I. but if I'm right, I won't get the chance to do so ... bugger ... sad

LilKitty
I believe we are reincarnated back to suffer another lifetime.

shaber
I hope it's not like general anaesthetic sad

Cyclops
Life after death? I nice concept.

Death:

The termination of life.

I dont believe in it.

Predator 89
don't believe in it but that does not mean i dont believe in God.

speiderman
God has plans for all of us.

The Omega

NyC-gUrL
because it just seems unimaginable to me that were here for no reason. If its like what you said, and were just here to reproduct and stuff, then why can we think and stuff (and arent just 'there', like plants) that makes me think we must have a purpose of existence (not just to reproduct)

Arachnoidfreak
heh.

Would you like to know the meaning of life? I swear it's the simplest thing you could ever think of. I know the answer, and I'll share it with you.

We are here for the sole purpose TO LIVE. That's it. Just live.

"then why can we think and stuff"

Humans just happen to have an intellect many times that of any other animal. We also have a frontal lobe, something no other animal has, It's what makes us different from animals. We "think and stuff" because we are INTELLIGENT. Animals do not have the capacity for self-conciousness like we do. That "we must have a purpose of existence" way of thinking has been around since man learned to write. It's what makes us think there is a god, it's what makes us think that aliens must have visited our planet. Humans NEED answers, and when they can't find a logical answer for an unanswerable question, they make shit up.

People who "find religion" really need to study science first. Mainly psychology, biology, and history.

shaber
says the omniscient arachnoid freak roll eyes (sarcastic)

My first twenty years have been so dismal that I feel owed something alot better. I'm just here to cash in.

Arachnoidfreak
Hey if you want to label me omnicient, that's your decision. I never said I was.

§nakehead
I believe theres a place to reward peole and also to punish the wicked

Arachnoidfreak
I get rewarded at contests and punished in a jail cell.

~Angel~
I believe there is something after this life. I know that those who have "crossed over" are able to contact us through dreams, but it must not be for long, as if it is their chance to say goodbye. My mom was sleeping when my grandpa passed away, and she said it was all black around him, and that was it. He came towards her, and said "I have to go now, goodbye."
I also had a dream of my grandma after she died. It was the same, come to think of it. She stood in darkness, and told me "Don't worry about me, just go have fun." I was just a little kid at the time, so I suppose she didn't want me to become depressed over her death. I also knew the phone would ring about 10 seconds before it did, and that it would be the hospital telling us of her passing. Her best friend's clock stopped the exact time she died too.

So, I do believe in something after this life. I never used to be as religious as I am now, but since I have been praying, He has answered my prayers. Sometimes it is not exactly what I had in mind, but He always does. Now, I believe in Heaven more than ever.

We are not merely worm food.

And the purpose of all of us on this earth is not just to live. It is to love.

wuteva
I don't believe in Heaven or Hell. I mean, such Justice is invented by humans, and it's impossible. I believe that once you die (after your body is disposed of), you become a part of nature. Just like it's been said before, we become 'worm food' and slowly dissapear.

bardock
good people go heaven and bad people go to hell thats how it is

Fiery Eyes
There is hun, it's Heaven or Hell, we have the choice right now to determine that. smile angel

Manôkhâu
In my religion, some people "live" after death in a sort of "Eden"-or in Hell. evil face

Fire
I don't think there is an after life, atleast not as most ppl see it (I won't expand on it). Heaven and Hell do not exist they are both invented by ppl to give ppl something to look forward to (heaven) and as far as I can remember there is very little speech of Hell in the gospels. I also heard a few lectures at uni from professors who consider Hell(as ppl know it now) to be an idea made up by the catholic church at the start of the middle ages, for obvious reasons.

Manôkhâu
Well....if that's what you believe.
Prob. true.

But it is a good thing for my "religion"-it's very-erm-depressing?
Yes.

Fire
mano what do you mean with those last two lines? smile

yerssot
"The meaning of life is there is none"

(from a song of the bloodhound gang)

Fiery Eyes
wink How many times in the gospels is very little to you? The reason i'm asking is cuz in Matthew alone it's mentioned 9 times. I didn't even get out of the 1st book in the New testiment. Matt: 5:22, 5:29, 5:30, 10:28, 11:23, 16:18, 18:19, 23:15, 23:33 to me thats alot especially just out of the 1st book in the NT, but maybe it's not to you. smile

Fire
I said as far as I can remember, last time I took a bible to hand was like 6 years ago and then it was for a religion exam.

seems I have been mistaken then, my bad.

Fiery Eyes
No problem, was just curious about it.

Fire
Still the lectures from my professors about the origin of hell were very interesting.

Fiery Eyes
Really? what was his thoughts on hell?

shaber
I'm afraid that Hell is largely invented as a means of intimidation. Whilst a higher power is plausible enough, the existence of Hell must be very dubious.

Fiery Eyes
don't agree there shaber

Manôkhâu
I meant that my religion is very depressing, since it talks about Armaggedon alot. wink

Fire
I also heard a few lectures at uni from professors who consider Hell(as ppl know it now) to be an idea made up by the catholic church at the start of the middle ages, for obvious reasons.

Fiery Eyes
What is your religion? Yes, the Armaggedon is depressing. sad

Fire
Lol Mano
my religion doesn't believe in any of that stuff

Manôkhâu
FE, all I did was talk about it for two weeks.
No more.

And Fire, I can see why.

Fire
I doubt there will ever be an apocalypse

Fiery Eyes
so many diff peeps hard to keep up w/everyone and what they believe in smile Toooo many post smile

Manôkhâu
stick out tongue
Perhaps.

bardock
yeah i think with all of my heart there is an after life

i hope there's an afterlife to a point, but then ur existence just ends

ragesRemorse
I believe in life after death. I believe a heaven and a hell exist. Even so if you are not religous. As a crude breakdown from einstiens studies. Energy is constant,ever changing and cannot be destryoed.

vvvrulz
I support re-incarnation. It seems to make the most sense from all the theories ive heard. But there is no where near enough evidence to back any theory really.

WhiteEagle
I don't know if there is a life after death, but even if there is our lives are still 'meaningless' in a sense. Whether we die and disappear into nothingness or spend all eternity floating around in heaven/hell we really have no purpose in existence other than what we make ourselves. We exist, only to exist either way. Hope that's not too confusing but I seem to get it. I used to like the idea of reincarnation too vvvrulz, but as you say, it's just wishful thinking without evidence. I think that the best way to live, is to just live life as it presents itself. If all you do in this life is prepare for another life then you aren't really living in a sense. At least that's what I think at the moment. Live this life as if there is no afterlife. That doesn't mean rape someone, rob a bank, take drugs and go out in a blaze of glory. Just enjoy the life you have rather than focusing on a life you hope for. wink

NyC-gUrL
^I agree, you should live life to its fullest. But reincarnation wouldnt make this life meaningless, this life could determine what you become in your next life. But then again thats just another theory.

WhiteEagle
Yes. But even if reincarnation is true, your life is still meaningless. Your life now is only a stepping stone to your next, then the next, then the next and so on. It's kind of confusing. But who says your life has to have some grand universal purpose to simply enjoy it? happy

Sun Ce
u live until u reach perfection within the soul, and if u have a life, and do not reach perfect and purity, u go back and live life once again until u do, after death u go to the otherside and prepare for your next life, studying it and the friends u have in life right now, u agreed with them in the otherside to be friends with them, and like daja vous, its a reminder of the otherside when u planed it to happen, thats why u remember it, i was told its like a reminder, a kinda pat on the back to say that life is going how it should for ya happy, so if u get daja vous alot, then your doing alot and remembering what u prepared in the otherside, (otherside being heaven if u will, a place where u go after death) happy

ladygrim
to me thats not rite cuz egyptians had there own version of heaven and hell so to me its more like chinese whispers and every belief has a different version of it

Syren
And you decided this when??

I'd love to agree with you, actually, no I wouldn't, for fear of sounding completely ignorant.

I'm not a good person, but I'm not a murderer, peadophile or thief, so I suppose I'm not bad. But I do know that I wouldn't stop the things I was doing just in case I was risking my place in 'Heaven'. I'd watch what I was doing in case of real consequences, like hurting people or risking myself. I live my life for now, not for where I'm going to end up.

ladygrim
most people have done bad things even if it is the simplest of things but does that mean everyone is bound to hell .... is there realy an innocent person out there that hasnt sinned .... i cant think of one ...

Syren
thumb up Exactly.

ladygrim
thnk u smile

CherryPie
I believe in life after death, At first i wanted to be a rabbit cause the f*** alot and then i wanted to be a praying mantese because once the deed is done you kill'em and now I don't know what i want to be, maybe a another girl different color y'know...

Linkalicious
I feel that the notion of life after death is proposterous. You are who you are because of your brain...not your "soul." I feel that once you die, you're dead....there is nothingness. Just like if you were a television set, and someone unplugged you.

The thought that I could come back as an inferior animal, insect, or even as a plant is an insult.

Besides, if you assume you come back as another person, a plant, or an animal...wouldn't that lead you to believe that you yourself were already reincarnated in a previous life.

and wouldn't that mean you lose your individuality as a person?

Ytaker
1. Yes, but if you unplug your computer, the infomation you put on the web is still there.
2. Not to me. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the reincaration sleeps tonight. What's so wrong about paying for your mistakes? That's a point, a criminal finds it an insult that he goes to prison
3. Yup
4. Nope. Your old individuality would be cleaned, and you could try and make it better.

Ytaker
What about Jesus?
What about just saying sorry? If you do that, then you're not bound to hell.

KidRock
not everyone belives in jesus.

i dont belive in any religion(god jesus w/e) and I dont know where ill end up when i die..no one does..it is all just speculation so people in this thread who say "good people go to heaven and bad people to hell" are complete morons.

Ytaker
1. I do, and thus answer with regards to that knowledge. If you disagree with me on religous matters, and don't tell me what yours are, then I cannot help you.roll eyes (sarcastic)

2. They areyes. Nobody except Jesus is good angel, and i assume that they're trying to help humanity as a whole, not just cite useless facts.

finti
that is the big question aint it, why is it christians always thinks people that dont believe needs help. Maybe it is the christians that need help

Cipher
If I remember correctly, reincarnation isn't a part of Christianity.......

ladygrim
'sorry' is an easy word to say you have to say it and mean it to be forgiven how do we know that everyone means it when they say it ....

Imperial_Samura
"Reincarnation isn't a part of Christianity", true, it is not generally, at least not in terms of living multiple lives, it is more an eastern concept. And I would like to believe in an after life, but I am something of a Buddhist, so I would ponder it a lot. And there is nothing wrong with believing in such a thing, humanity has been doing it since the beginning, as its natural to look for some reward to the mortal life which might have been harsh and a struggle.

Ytaker
I meant in your soul. If you don't mean it, God will know and it will be as if you hadn't said it.

Syren
Can I just point out that you didn't actually combat any of Link's points with a worthwhile opinion. In fact, all you really did, IMO, is state things without really finishing, if that makes sense........

Ytaker
For the first, I was giving a alternate idea of how we're unplugged. Mental ideas can be annoying in a debate if they dominate. Next, I disagreed with the idea that different reincarnations was unjust. He said that it was a insult, I said that if he deservered it, then it would be fair. three and four are linked. I was suggesting that you would keep your soul throughout the reincarnation, though you reaction to the world would be wiped out. Unless they had altered your soul.

Turbo-Cajun
How did you come to this conclusion Ytaker?

Ytaker
Logic. I put a theory through the mental arena, and thought of how it might work.

Turbo-Cajun
I'll say that its an interesting theory... I guess I don't really know if its possible or anything, but its interesting

Aleera1138
I do belief that there is life after death and that this life is just another journey. smile

JimMorrison227
I belive after death there is nothing......You die, your existence everywhere ends, you don't go to hell or heaven, you don't get reborn......and then you get burried and then you make friends with maggots and worms.

mega punk1235
i believe in both i believe if u r bad uwill live again and they will make your life miserable if u r good u go to heaven

WhoKnows?
i have always been told that i would go to heaven, but my true fear is that ill die and nothing will happen.

debbiejo
I believe in Heaven or a new earth, but as for Hell, I don't believe it is everlasting. Only that you burn right up and are gone and forgotten as if you never existed at all.

DarkCrawler
I don't believe in afterlife.

DenKi
But somone could of once made up all this Heaven, Hell, God, Jesus,Even the Bible it could of just been 1 popular book out at that time and it was a 1 of the kind what no1 else had, and it had in it storys of a person called GOD and Jesus....

Also what about the people who have DIED in the beds at hospital, they have competly died as in no Brain activity, No Pulse, Heartstopped. Then Suddenly about 5-10 Minutes later, they come back to life by themselves or the Doctors.

What have those people said it feels like when they died???? i havent heard nothing!!

BlackC@t
I believe that after we die, we get to pick from five options:

1) Be reincarnated (what I want to happen to me).
2) Become a ghost.
3) Become a Guardian Angel.
4) Become a Spirit.
5) Become a Spirit Guide.

Though sometimes we might not get the choice to become a ghost or not because we may not realise we're dead.

BlackC@t
Mine too.

But I'm very, very sure there is life after death.

debbiejo
First I raised that we either go to heaven or hell.
Then I believed that there would be a new heaven and earth.
Now I believe that somethings happens, but I'm not sure what.
wacko

Misty Girl
I don't believe in Heaven or Hell, but rather that after death we become one with God - in a totally unkown dimension.

debbiejo
I'm sure it is unfathomable.

Misty Girl
^ agree.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.