Boxing greats

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Joker1237
I always a boxing fan and here of some the great haveyweight champs ever

Jack Dempsey, Star and Champion of the 1920's He was consider the best there ever was until 1950. His fight with Firpo will always be talk about, were Dempsey was knock out of the ring, but came back to win in round 2.

Rocky Marciano The only heavyweight chamion to retire AND STAY retire with a perfect record, 49 wins 0 loses 0 draws 43 Knockouts
Wins over Walcott, Charles, Moore, and Lastsa, keeps him in stand as one of the best ever.

Joe Louis Champ of the late 30's and all the way though the 40's. defended his title 25 times, retire as champ, but made a ill comeback against Charles, and Marciano.

Ezzard Charles, very great champ, has wins over Wallcott and Louis, Had 2 great fights with Marciano, loses both of couse.

But the best fighter of all time is not Ail, ITs Suger Ray Robinson, the middle weight champ, he won the title 5 times.

Than maybe Ail, He had problems with guys that fight like Dempsey and MArciano(Fraizer) So maybe he could struggle with these greats too.

wuTa
i disagree and say ali...you gotta remember that ali gave up the prime of his career when he refused to be drafted Ali beat frazier and foreman when he was out of his prime put anybody against ali in his prime and he would destroy than except maybe marciona if marciano wouldnt be distractd by ali's mind games than marciano would definelty have a chance

i dont think sugar ray robinson was the best fighter...Hagler was better than him...Robinsson beat hagler but hagler was robbed he clearly won that fight and robinson delayed fighting Hagler for like 2 yrs coz he knew he couldnt beat hagler when hagler was at the top of his game

Joker1237
Marciano would never be distarcted by Ali's mind games,
He was taughted by Walcott, But Marciano won that fight

There is no way Robinson could fight Hagler. Robinson fought in the 1940s-50-s

While Hagler fought in the 80's

Thats almost 40 years apart.

And no Ali was not the best heavyweight boxer that goes to Joe Louis who gave up his prime to fight World War 2

wuTa
ummm yea my bad i was thinkin of sugar ray leonard.....joe louis was one of the greates fighters ever..he's from detriot he's one of my favorites but he fought the same style as foreman and ali beat foreman when ali was waaay past his prime

Joker1237
Louis did not have the same style has Forman,

Louis had the Jab, the hook, he thown evey punch tex book perfect.
Foreman on the other hand, Well he was a slugger, He missed a lot of his shots(Like vs Ail) and he did not know how to pace him self.

With Louis who knows how to pace himself, and can carry his power in the later rounds, Could edge a points victory over AIl.

Louis is viewd as the perfect fighter, if he fought any thing like Foreman, We might veiw Louis in a differnt light.

Louis knows were to plant his feet on a foe that runs away, He could cut off the ring, and land his short but powerfull punchings.

Louis's only weakness was his chin.

wuTa
foreman was actually pretty accurate he would only throw alot of misses when he fought smaller or opponets with really good foot work.....louis and foreman did have the same style they both relyed on power sure louis was a better boxer but when he got in trouble he would rely on power just like foreman

Joker1237
But Louis relie on his short punchs to finshing the Job.

Foreman use thsos long range hooks to do the job not the same imo.

Its like Does Tyson and Marciano fight the same??? Nope

wuTa
are you tellin me that louis wasnt a power fighter?...those short punches were full of power...forman did throw alot of haymakers (long range hooks) but louis was the better boxer so he wouldnt throw those wild ass punches and leave himself wide open

Joker1237
No Louis is a power puncher, But because they both hit hard does not mean they fought the same way.

Louis could take you out with thsos short punches never saw that in any one else.

Foreman needs a wild haymaker to take a guy out.

Louis was calm, he waited if he was behind on points, waiting for the opening, (Like Walcott, round11)

Foreman when he was loseing to Ail, just use up all his stamia, thowing haymaker after haymaker and get tired out. Louis would never do that.

wuTa
well both of us dont know that coz louis never fought ali but its not like that all foreman did was throw haymaker after haymakers...if you seen him fight frazier he was boxing him with jabs and settin him up with hooks the only reason why threw haymaker after haymaker against ali was coz ali frustrated him with the rope a dope...

are me and you the only ones that like boxing? theres gotta be more than 2 people on this forum who know somethin about boxing

Arachnoidfreak
Uhhh...Rocky is the greatest!

yea...im joking. Ali is the greatest. He would mess with your mind before the fight AND during the fight, eventually humilitaing you, because you couldn't land a decent punch! Ali was too graceful, and his psychological games were just too tricky, Ali is the greatest.

Joker1237
Well I guess theres 3,
I have over ten Louis fights on film, and 2 Foreman fights, (Ail, Fraizer1)

We will never know what will happen if Ail fought Louis, But Louis was not Foreman, When I see Foreman fight he just reminds me of a bigger and badder Rocky Maricano, and we all agree Marciano was no Louis.

All That
Pound for Pound Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest of all time.Robinson would have did to Hagler what Leonard did but with more power!!!

dean7879
lennox lewis!!!!!!!

@F1
Lennox Lewis was a good fighter, but he wont be remembered like Ali, Marciano, Joe louis. He just didn,t have any charisma, and he was a little boring to watch.

dean7879
he got the job done though

clickclick
Marciano was a great fighter but his quality of opposition was limited.

IMO Ali and Joe Louis are number 1 and 2 respectively at heavyweight. Ali having fought and defeated the best heavyweight comp all time and Joe Louis for his domination and savage brutalization of the division when he fought. 25 straight title defenses for that man.

As for Robinson and Hagler, had they fought I feel that Robinson would win but it would be very tough. Keep in mind the struggles that Robby had against the pressure of Lamotta. Hagler had an amazing chin and would have given him a tough fight all the way through. The hagler who fought Leonard was a warn down fighter with a lot of mileage.

finti
They are all great fighters but I must say that in Alis prime he was in my eyes the greatest, Ali wold have mmade Louis throw haymakers just as he did with Foreman. Louis never fought a moveable boxer like Ali.
And Louis like many power boxer was really open to jabs and left hooks. Ali would have taken advantage on this as he did with many great boxer who`d seem unbeatable. (Foreman, Liston).

Lennox Lewis well he was knocked out twice by mediochre boxers and many of his matches was not good shows, Lewis was best because the heavyweight division aint all that impressive. Lewis wouldnt have last 5 rounds against any of the old time greats like Ali, Louis, Formean, Frazier, Marchiano, Ken Norton. Hell even the likes of Larry Holmes, in his prime, would have eaten Lewis for lunch.

I would add some other great boxers like Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns.

Myth
BUTTERBEAN!!!!!

clickclick
I too think Ali would have beaten Joe Louis but Joe wouldnt get wild like Foreman. Foreman was a great fighter but he was slugger without much skill. JOe louis was a great fighter with great skills. He didnt punch unless he was set and everything he threw was short and accurate. Overall he had great technique but he was slow of foot. I think hed just get beaten to the punch a lot because Ali was quick of foot and taller aswell as longer (reach).

Shaolin Monk
laughing

I remember watching him get whooped by an old Larry Holmes...soooo funny

SlipknoT
I like Mike Tyson the best because He's clinicaly insane

Myth
TANYA HARDING!!!!!

fatboygreen
Has to be Marvin Hagler, he destroyed Hearns and in my opinion he done Leneord, he was the total fighter. As far as the heavy weights go Ali in his prime would do any of the heavy wieghts mentioned

Joker1237
I think Ali is over ranted.

For my money Joe Louis is the greatness heavyweight champion of All time.

But I think I could put Ali 2,

Marciano would be 3rd. He did retire undfeated and all that.

kyllacam
i think that the Kang Ali would have danced around slow movin hard hittin louis then worn him out then eventually... Thrilla In Manilla he would have had Louis beat before they even stepped in the rang ali would have gotten into louiss head and destroyed them and no Foreman and Louis are not alike but the only thang that louis had going for him waz his jab it is considered the strongest but listen to this he might be strong but ur hands cant hit wat ur eyes cant see cause the number one boxer is my boy ali cause he floats like a butterfly and stangs like a bee rumble young man rumble ahhhhhh that waz wat ali and bundini said before every fight to mess with his opponet so yeah Ali 1 Louis 2 Tyson 3

Joker1237
No one can get into Louis's head.

I think Louis would stop Ali in about the tenth round, Louis may have been slow on foot, but he had the fastest pair of hands any one could dream of, Even faster than Ali's(But Ali was faster on foot)

kyllacam
are you smokin lol louis waz not faster then ali every ring mag said that him and jim corbett had the best foot work and that ali had tha fastest hands ever def faster then louis im sorry but louis was a hard hitter but i dosent matter if u can hit hard if u cant hit ur enemy

Joker1237
Ali was fast on foot, But Patterson and Louis both had FASTER HANDS.

Louis was slow on foot, but fast on hands, and Ring Mag has been wrong a lot of times, They have went down hill since Natt died.

Corbett was pretty fast. I have his 1897 fight with Fizt, 20 min long.

Freaky Zeeky
Joe Frazier b!tches!

kyllacam
freaky are u serious frazier is all right but not better than ali come on lol i thank that u are kiddin lol

Joker1237
Fraizer did beat Ali in 71, And Fraizer been shot ever since that win, That took a lot out of him.

Deano
henry armstrong

that guy defended his title 5 times in one week

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.