Self Defence

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
We did a self-defence course today!

It was really good, I got how to do every move, and I managed to throw the instructer, who was a big, butch, fifteen stone man! big grin

§pearhead
Um...confused ok...wacko

Ushgarak
(hides from Phoe)

rusky
eek! Don't hurt me.. eek!

tazman
Sweet! What kind of discipline is it?

yerssot
15 stones? how much is that ... pounds or kilo-wise?

but no matter what ... seems a lot *scared of evil phoe*

The Force
im taking taekwondo, i'ma yellow belt big grin

Fire
if someone wants to kill you well then you'll need a lot more than a selfdefence course to make it hard for them.

yerssot
a scream-course to hurt their ears?

rusky
laughing out loud lloool...

Fire
nah not really....

yerssot
give them the all time evil face and start taling about a baseball game to get them to sleep?

Ushgarak
A stone is 14 pounds.

Fire
care to explain the relevance of that comment ush?

yerssot
...stone... 14 pounds...calculating in progress...
failure failure... too difficult, need to shut down... bzzzzz

tazman
Cool, I have a blackbelt in that. Good for exercise and tournaments, not much use on the street though. sad

Fire
well ppl who follow martial arts usualy have their reasons, which normaly do not envolve self defence

finti
english pounds or eskimo pence stick out tongue

Ushgarak
They were going to convert them to Eurostones but we pulled out...

Fire
still the relevance ush?

finti
good job, I love it when we have a messaurement problem across the borders

Ushgarak
Helps if you read all the thread, Fire...

Fire
okie, thx ush, just wanted to see wether or not you were going to explain it.....

storm said you were going to tell me to read the entire thread

yerssot
she's psychic!

Fire
apparently so

yerssot
hmphf, stupid keyboard!
I ment to say: psychick (notice the psychic and chick part)

ash007
Yeah cool Phoenix i prusume the self defence cource you did showed a bit of Judo which is a very good Defensive sport.

I do judo i am on Blue belt after that will be brown then BLACK smile

Fire
*nice joke yerss*

back on topic, most of those martial arts really dont seem usefull on the street

yerssot
is that a challenge?

rusky
neah...all chicks ar psy....big grin

Fire
you want it to be yerss?

ash007
yeah actually it is

i was walking down a street once and this guy came up to me and asked for my money which i did, then he said i didn't have enough and he came at me with a knife, i managed to block his arm then threw him onto the floor, then i ran really fast.

So the moral of the story is self defence saved my live

rusky
OMg..don't get into a fight guys.. eek!...or I'll be forced to intervene cool

yerssot
watch your mouth kid, I got waffles everwhere cool

tazman
I agree, which is why I stated that TKD was good mostly for exercise and tournaments. However I must say there are a lot of good martial arts out there for self defense. The thing is you really have to have a fighters instinct to be able to use what you know. I've seen a lot of 'blackbelts' get annihilated in a real situation. BJJ (or brazilian jujistu) is one of the best for all practical purposes since 95% of fights end up on the ground. Wrestling and Judo are very useful as well. But again, if you've trained in martial arts but then your mind goes blank in a street fight, doesn't do you much good.

julibug
You are wise, grasshopper.

Phoenix
nopes, no disciplines at all, it was dirty street type fighting! How to get out of holds, grabs, how to use your nails effectively, and which parts hurt the most when you jab them ((to make them let go!))

Phoenix
I think they should include a self-defence course in school P.E. lessons -- I'm a lot more prepared now than I was this morning!

They organised it for our sixth form, as a lot of us are off to uni in october, and need to learn to fend for ourselves. I thought it was very important, for me especially - I'm off to London!

yerssot
hey, I know that last part wink

Phoenix
it actually helped a lot. I learnt how to get out of four seperate situations of being strangled, several of having bones broken, three when someone has a knife to my throat, and I also learnt how to throw someone when they are pinning me to the wall or floor when trying to rape me.

so, all in all, pretty useful stuff!

yerssot
untill one day you actually face those things and freeze up

Phoenix
no, we practced for over two hours, and a lot of it is instinct now. we did suprise attacks as well, and I still remembered how to do it.

One good lesson -- when in doubt, use the nails!

Phoenix
yerss, why are you invisible?

yerssot
well, today it was for playing, in a few weeks or whenever when it's for real you won't remember it at all

Phoenix
negative muchly! and it wasn't playing - I have the bruises and scratches to prove it!

yerssot
I mean, the tutor didn't really had the intention to rape anyone
if it happens for real, like you walk in a dark alley and someone wants to kill you or whatever, you won't have those responces of "hey, I have to do this now and pinch there" and stuff

tazman
I agree with Yerss, you may have it down in your head now, but what happens two years from now and if the attack was by surprise? You may freeze up, or your mind goes blank, or the first shot the person gets in will cause a natural reaction to curl up and protect yourself instead of trying to defend yourself.

I truly encourage you to continue training in self defense, I'm not in any way trying to boo-who your training. It's great to learn and I very much wish you luck with your training. I would just say to keep your confidence level in check. Two hours of training isn't going to turn anyone into a good figther. I've trained for years in martial arts and I've seen a few people who had that natural instinct and many others who didn't. I also question the training, because when they're teaching stuff it's usually "I'm going to punch you, and you block it and take me down like I showed you." But in the street, nobody's going to come at you in a training way, and they're not going to go with your motions because they know what you're going to do.

Again, I'm not trying to be a downer, but I'm just giving you some things to keep in mind. All I can say is, practice as much as you can, with people of different sizes, and different fighting styles. Practice so much that it becomes a reaction and not a thought process. Good luck! cool

shaber
Exactly Taz,

you can't predict how you'll react to extreme duress all of a sudden

Phoe, wouldn't that stuff be more useful to those in Keighley and such places wink

Dark_Psylocke
It's a good idea taking a self-defence course, but let me tell you. I do kick boxing, which means I could possible defend myself, but if it were necessary, it wouldn't possibly be enough.

yerssot
and that's why we got legs... to run... and to do other fun things wink

Phoenix
Yerss, why are you invisible!?! blink

yerssot
*checks in mirror*
yeesh! phoe, unfortunatly I'm not messed *puts bag over head*

Phoenix
but your lightbulb is white...

yerssot
my what? messed

Ushgarak
Straying massively off-topic as it is, she means your lightbulb on her buddies list is not lit.

Talking of topic... hint hint...

yerssot
oh... erm... lightbulb broke and need to replace it? messed

*gets almost blown away by the subtle hints*
well, tazz rephrased it in a much better way: now you can do it, but in two years orso and with extra stress... I doubt you can remember things

tazman
Traditional kickboxing, or Muy Thai Kickboxing? I trained in Muy Thai (that's where I got my nickname Taz), brutal stuff which is good for self defense. You should mix a little grappling in with your training. If you're good fighting on your feet, you have a pretty good chance of ending the fight while still standing. However in most cases people end up shooting in or grabbing the other person and turns into a wrestling match.
My TKD instructor leveled a guy on the street with a spin back kick to the lower abdomen but it was something he didn't recommend, and with reasons. He was just very fast and very accurate, and the other guy's reactions weren't very quick, he looked at me and said it was luck.

berserk
taz, how long have you trained muay thai? I've been training for about two years in thai, and brasilian jujitsu combined with some wing chun kung fu (great for close in fighting), and kali/escrima which I think is the most practical form of weapon fighting there is, it emphasises sticks and knives. ive also taken concepts of jeet kun do which I found to be a more practical form of tkd and karate both of which I took when I was a kid but found to be impractical. anyway I really love muay thai. it is by far the most effective stand up fighting style available imo. I'm 6'4" 250lb and played college football for four years, so I could kick really hard even using the more traditional kicks of the jeet kun do style, but that can't come close to comparing with how fast and hard I can kick sinse starting thai boxing. I recomend any one of these systems to anyone looking for practical self defense.

Fire
no need for self defence

TrAnCeDuO
not that its any of my buisness but dont you think that this thread would fit better if we put it in the sports section?

cermiestar
oh i've done self defense! it's fun! another thing phoe! go for the eys with your keys!

Storm
I' d already be overpowered before I could get to my keys sad

yerssot
I'll not let that happen, storm... I mean, the getting overpowered thingie

Storm
confused ok

yerssot
I have mastered the secret Vreetzelevendop-style

Storm
laughing
sure... Slurperman stick out tongue

yerssot
Ai storm-san!
*bows*

Storm
laughing

Baylin
I'm thinking of starting Jui Jutsu, I have a friend who's black belt and he recomends it. I want to do it more because I need the exercise than to defend my self. I come from quite a rough town thus I'm pretty handy when I need to be but my love of beer is starting to show so I need something to counter act it...

berserk
baylin.... bjj is one of the best and most practical defense style you can do. i say go for it, you won't regret it.

tazman
I'd definitely encourage you to train in BJJ, especially since 95% of fights end up on the ground. But I'd suggest that you also get some training in standing up as well. I like a lot of Bruce Lee's philosophy when it comes to fighting, such as taking parts from all different kinds of martial arts that would be effective and making up his own style, that's what JKD is all about. He obviously trained more in standing up, because he felt if you can end the fight standing up, all the better. Though he still trained in grappling cause even he knew about the importance of knowing how to do it, but his view on it was he didn't want to be wrestling around with someone on the cement.... laughing

Realistically, not many of us are as fast and accurate as he is to be able to end a fight standing up, so I'd say it's a little more important for 'the average person' to have a balance of both standing and grappling.

I saw a video of the Gracie brothers fighting against people who were in Karate. The Gracie's always shot in, grabbed them and took them down where the person in Karate had no experience. The fights never lasted much longer after that, and they won either by submission or tap out. On that same tape was a match between a well known Wrestling coach vs. one of the Gracie brothers, both obviously being grappling disciplines, but the wrestler didn't know how to get his opponent into a submission hold. It was a great match, but the Gracie soon worked his way into a submission hold and the wrestler had no choice but to tap out. Anther match was against a huge street fighter, and a Kickboxer, all with the same result, on the ground and into a submission hold. All that to say, learn as much BJJ as you can. wink

Phoenix
bloody hell, is this still goin? laughing out loud

yerssot
you make it sound like it's a bad thing

Phoenix
no

yerssot
than keep posting on topic stuff in it wink

Phoenix
I'm going to poke you... stick out tongue

yerssot
than I am forced to use selfdefence wink

silver_tears
I think I broke my friends nose that way embarrasment

yerssot
you don't think, you either know you did or you didn't

silver_tears
Well it's really swollen and red embarrasment

yerssot
than I doubt it

silver_tears
K good, but she desevred it, damn molester roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
hope you mean it as in hurting her, not as in braking

silver_tears
Yea, the whole thing was her fault yes

yerssot
care to explain?

silver_tears
she tried to bite me and grabbed my chest so I slammed her nose with my palm cool

yerssot
that seems like normal behavior around you though

silver_tears
the biting confused
normally not ninja

yerssot
laughing out loud
so the chestgrabbing is

silver_tears
yes embarrasment long story

yerssot
you have the entire thread for ya laughing out loud

silver_tears
you just wanna hear the girl wrestling story ninja

yerssot
yes

silver_tears
well since I'm not doing anything alright here goes......

So me and my friends were walking home yesterday, and my stupid friend pushed me into a bush, and I was wearing my skirt right, but I grabbed her and pulled her with me, so there we were rolling around on someone front lawn in the snow embarrasment

Well we got out, but before my friend could get up I tripped her and she went flying into a puddle, wearing a white shirt whistle

So to get back at me she tried to bite me on my arm, but she grabbed me cuz I was running, and because I was wearing a jacket she grabbed hard eek and guess where she grabbed mad

yerssot
your pinky?

Baylin
Pinky well thats a new term for it...

silver_tears
no stick out tongue

My that was painful cry
And that wasnt the first time, everytime we go anywhere she ends up slipping on somthing and tripping cuz she's an idiot, so she always tries to grab onto something, and always manages to grab me sad

Baylin
laughing out loud kinda like having a boyfriend then... wink laughing out loud

yerssot
what did she grab than??? your hair?

silver_tears
I don't think he would grab so hard naughty
Or in such public places ninja

yerssot
your knees?

Baylin
You not been out with many English lads then?whistling

silver_tears
Not yet anyways wink

silver_tears
Is that what you gents call them now shocking

yerssot
the biggest pigs of them all?

silver_tears
now now no need to speak of Tex like that nono

yerssot
so protective of your sweatheart ?

silver_tears
yup you know it smokin'
me and Tex are gonna run away to a tropical island and make out on the beach, as long as he doesn't bring anything to do with Bjork ermm

yerssot
everyone has different tastes when it comes to love and happyness

silver_tears
I love sTexy with all my heart yersy cry

Baylin
Sooo he wont be there then? stick out tongue

silver_tears
either way, free trip to the islands cool

yerssot
that's very sweat silver
*takes over queeq's role in practising the weddingtheme*

silver_tears
but not as much as you no
I would drag you to an island over Tex any day happy

yerssot
if the competition wasn't Tex, I would have been thrilled to hear

silver_tears
is ush any better lookaround

Baylin
Fine I'll go then *dreams Palm trees, coconuts, good company, ahhhh!*

yerssot
like said, compared to tex ... heck, you would prefer an empty cokebottle above him (can't blaim ya)

silver_tears
I don't like coke at all yucky

Baylin
No, especially when it gets up your nose!hoover

yerssot
figure of speach dear

silver_tears
I tried that once, and got an ice cube stuck up my nose embarrasment
and yerss it just proves that I don't like Tex much yes

Baylin
laughing out loud

yerssot
old joke though

why not silver?

silver_tears
thanks kill joy roll eyes (sarcastic)
and why not what? confused

yerssot
why don't you like tha Tex-man?

silver_tears
awwwww I'm only kidding I love my divaish sister diva
well I can stand him anyways cool

Baylin
Although standing on him would be better huh?

yerssot
that's a start :s

silver_tears
standing doesnt seem to fun shifty

yerssot
ah, it SEEMS wink try it out, you'll be surprised

silver_tears
alone anyways hypocrite
hmmmmmm Tex may prove to be useful after all shifty

Baylin
Yes between every stamp you should stand thus you get a small rest break and can stamp on him for longer!

yerssot
oh! you were talking about stamps! embarrasment

Baylin
Not those little things you stick to envelopes though Yers

yerssot
if they're little, you're doing something wrong wink

Baylin
Why what do you stick to envelopes to make the postman take your letter? huh

silver_tears
hugs and kisses shifty

yerssot
be creative in it baylin laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.