Ben Folds

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SeptemberRain
No, this isnt about Ben Folds Five. I searched for Ben Folds and there wasnt a thread for him. Ben Folds is one of the greatest musicians. He can play basically every instument. I am glad that he does it be himself, he gets more freedom with him style that way. I went to his concert last night and he has great. He incorporated the crowd to his performance. At on point he had the crowd do horn sounds to go with his song. At this concert he only played piano and made drum beats with his mouth, but i have heard from other people that he played every instrument at his shows. So, I guess each of his shows are different which is cool, considering most bands do the same thing for each show they do. Ben Folds is the Master of the Keys.

So, on this thread say what you like about Ben Folds, if u do. big grin

GABRIEL05
I like Ben Folds and I think he's a great musician. But I don't think he's one of the greatest. Actually as far as the farking shite out today is concerned he is up there (as in one of the more talented of musicians out there). But that whole play every instrument thing is overrated. It's not that hard to learn a few hot licks or the basics on bass piano drums and keys. Hell even Kid Rock does it! They're the easiest to learn (but the hardest to master mind you). I'd like to see him play violin, or trombone. Ya know? Some hard instruments.

Darth Revan
yes

I'd actually rather be very, very good at one instrument than just kind of be able to play a lot of them. Like Lenny Kravitz... He does all the instrumentals for his music, and as a result none of the parts are very complex. I play cello, and a little guitar, and a little piano, and a little bit of drums... But I'll always consider myself a cellist more than anything else.

SeptemberRain
well that would be cool to see him play violin, i like violin. But i think it sweet that he can make a song out of nothing really that deep and it will still be good.

Darth Revan
Yeah, it is cool when somebody can play a whole bunch of instruments, and it is handy if you coincidentally don't have a band to back you up. But there are so many people doing it now that it's just not as cool anymore.

GABRIEL05
It's not that it's not cool, it's just not as impressive as it was in the past.

Darth Revan
that's what I'm saying, it's still cool but it used to be much cooler

SeptemberRain
There are alot of people doing it now?

Darth Revan
Not "a lot", just a lot more than there used to be. Actually, a lot of people play multiple instruments, just usually they only do one at a time. Like Dave Grohl, who used to be the drummer for Nirvana, but is now the Foo Fighters' frontman.

SeptemberRain
Yeah, didnt Grhl start out Foo Fighters by himself playing everything?

Darth Revan
Might have... I'm not sure, though I can definitely picture Grohl doing that.

SeptemberRain
Actually i just remembered a few musicians who play multiple instruments. Two that I can think of right now are Sondre Lerche(im sure noone has heard of him) and Conner Oberst(from the band Bright Eyes)

<<Solo>>
Yeah, Ben Folds is awesome, the song Brick is very awesome.

SeptemberRain
yes that is a good song, but that was Ben Folds Five. Even though its basically the same thing. But Ben Folds has more freedom to do what he wants with his music without a band.

<<Solo>>
Yeah, it's almost the same as his solo work.

steely balls
ben folds is crazy cool

IndieKid
I prefer ben Kweller. But he's fairly rocking.

Turbo-Cajun
Ben Folds is cool...

Mane
yeah i dont like his music, but i definitely respect him as a musician.

Turbo-Cajun
His music, vocal style, etc.. def isnt what i usually like, but he is a good musician.

Snake Pliskin
i'm listenin to sevendust - seasons

*Georgina_A*
I've just come back from seeing him live, and all I have to say is WOW. He is AWESOME! It was amazing! He played loads of great songs like stuff off his new album, his cover of 'In Between Days', some older Ben Folds Five stuff like 'Missing the War' and 'Brick', and even a cover of a Dr. Dre song which he changed the tune to (which was hilarious! laughing )

And at the end, when I was about to leave, one of the guys helping out on stage gave me a set list and I didn't even have to ask for one! eek! The person in front of me tried to take it but he refused to give it to him and was pointing at me and I was shocked...I really didn't know what he was trying to give me! lol.

Alpha Centauri
Tori Amos is the master (Mistress?) of the keys.

Just dropping that in.

-AC

Imaginary
Originally posted by SeptemberRain
Actually i just remembered a few musicians who play multiple instruments. Two that I can think of right now are Sondre Lerche(im sure noone has heard of him) and Conner Oberst(from the band Bright Eyes)

I've heard one song of Bright Eyes, it's pretty good.

jaden101
Ben Folds...great piano player...terrible vocalist

i love "give judy my notice"

Because I can
lol,
he's SUCH a Nerd!
BUT HE"S COMING TO MELBOURNE TO PLAY WITH THE MSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CANT WAIT!
He's coming.. .... he's coming...
I love the Bens, THEY ROCK!

Is_it
www . napster . com / player / tracks / 14089775
I love Ben Fold's music. In fact, I was listening to "Landed" on Napsterlinks. There's a new version of that song, and it's worth check out. You can click on the link above and enter your email address to hear the full length song.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.