Lollapalooza tour cancelled

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

loserib
here is what blabbermouth had to say

The 2004 edition of the Lollapalooza tour has been abruptly cancelled due to poor ticket sales, according to the event's official web site. "This morning (June 22), tour organizers and concert promoters, faced with several million dollars of losses, made the very tough decision to pull the tour," the site says.

"My heart aches along with the bands, and all of our employees, whose hard work developed one of the most exciting and important tours that this nation was to see," says Lollapalooza co-founder Perry Farrell. "My heart is broken."

Adds booking agent/tour co-founder Marc Geiger, "I am in utter disbelief that a concert of this stature, with the most exciting line-up I've seen in years did not galvanize ticket sales. I'm surprised that given the great bands and the reduced ticket prices that we didn't have enough sales to sustain the tour. Concert promoters across the country are facing similar problems. Many summer tours are experiencing weak ticket sales."

The tour was one of the most successful concert series of the 1990s, running from 1991 to 1997 and featuring such grunge-era favorites as JANE'S ADDICTION, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, ROLLINS BAND, NINE INCH NAILS, PEARL JAM and SOUNDGARDEN, according to the Associated Press. The tour was resurrected in 2003 with a lineup that included THE DONNAS, INCUBUS and QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE. This year's tour would have featured 1980s favorites such as MORISSEY and the PIXIES, as well as WILCO, THE POLYPHONIC SPREE and P.J. HARVEY.

Refunds will be available at points of purchase.

amity75
Why the f*ck wouldn't people pay to see that line up? Whats gone wrong with people? It's maybe a case of there being too many festivals doing the ropunds these days and hitting people in the pocket.

loserib
well i gueses most people did not agree with you since nobody really bought tickets

SeptemberRain
THats Bull sh!t, I was gonna go to that. THere was gonna be some kick arse bands there, like THe Flaming LIps and Wilco

loserib
did you buy tickets

ElectricBugaloo
that is a brilliant lineup, but they weren' coming here.

Df02
well judging from the old and new lineups they gave....seems the quality is slipping, imo neway

Spicy_Mchaggis
lollapalooza? cancelled? what a shame.
i didnt know there was anyone there that had a decent career in the past ten years. no wonder it was canceled.

ElectricBugaloo
Sonic Youth, Danger Mouse, The Datsuns, The Flaming Lips, The Pixies, and the Polyphonic Spree (just for the pure hilarity of it) would have have been worth the price of admission even if it cost as much as ozzfest

Spicy_Mchaggis
i wouldnt pay to see any band with a name that sounds like a drug.
its like: ya dude i hit up a pixie and i had a polyphonic spree for like an hour.
seriously though, no one ever goes to lollapalooza anyway. but i would pay money to go to ozzfest.
ATREYU!!!!

Darth Revan
Are you blind? Almost all of the bands listed in the first post (Jane's Addiction, Chili Peppers, Rollins Band, NIN, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Donnas, Incubus, Queens of the Stone Age) have had successful careers. Some of them, namely NIN and the Chili Peppers, could be considered legends.

loserib
it just shows that metal is on a come up with the ozzfest selling out alot of shows allready and whats great is ozzfest is selling out shows but very few of the bands get radio play

ElectricBugaloo
I'd want to see the pixies; i've heard from so many people how they put on the best show ever. The cool thing is after their shows they make a CD of the show right there that you can buy of the show.

And the Polyphonic Spree would just be so funny to see. All cult like and happy...

Cinemaddiction
Lollapalooza cancelled? How will Perry fund the crack habit that made him think this was a good idea in the first place?

loserib
you heard janes addiction are broke up again the rest of the band are working with a new lead singer

Kaleanae
Shoot!! I wanted to go

Spicy_Mchaggis
darth raven, that lollapalooza tour with all those bands showed over 10 years ago. im talking about now shithead! and ozzfest is better for 3 reasons
1-Atreyu
2-lamb of god
3-ozzy
none of those bands have radio play except ozzy cuz hes legendary, besides i thought everyone was sick of rhcp, pearl jam, and incubus; at least i am, cuz you cant turn on a f***ing radio or tv without seeing or hearing them.

ElectricBugaloo
haha, none of those bands are anything near The Pixies or Sonic Youth.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.