Batman vs Batman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Joker1237
My dad seems to think the Adam West Batman show was the best Batman show there was ( I guess him growing up in the 60's might have somthing to do with it.)

As a Batfan, Some times I wish they never made the TV show with the one liners and jokes. I dont think they even talk about Wayne's mom and dad dieing. Instane, it goes like this

"Look a shark was tugging my leg
The Joker
Some thing is fishy about it The Penguin,

All adds up to a riddle

The Riddler,

Sea Sea as in catwoman (Have no ideal were they got that from)

But my dad and most of the people like my dad think Adam West is the REAL Batman. And because of that Batman And Robin was made.

I have read Batman's first comic, and its pretty dark, I read were he hunts down the red monk. But never did it have thsos one liners. Even Robin's story when he came in was not a funny comic to read, I was pretty sad to see Dick become Robin to for reveage, I think the only one liner in that one is the end. Something like Robin not missing the fun.

These of couse were the late 30's and early 40's had a shodow like affect on the comics.

When did Batman take a turn like Adam WEst??

punkyhermy
That is ridiculous!!!!Batman never was and never will be Adam West!!!!I love that show too!that made me a batfan but, i now know better, for me the best batman is the animated one!

Red Superfly
I love the 60's show, let your dad say what he wants, because I kinda agree with him. It was a fun and actually has me laughing out loud.

I love the 60's show, I adore the Animated Series (probably the best Bat-related thing that isnt the comics) and I enjoyed the first Bat-movies.

I still find it crazy that Batman has to be one of the grittiest comic book characters ever, and he ended up with some crazy tripped out live action comedy skit being the most famous thing about him.

Who cares? Adam West kicks ass and it's safe to say he did a better job than Clooney ever did. And he didn't have rubber nipples either (WTF?)

punkyhermy
haha clooney at least looked the part! west was soooo skinny in that costume that he looked like a joke! wait he was supposed to look like a joke...

DarkCrawler

Joker1237
After look at the Batman movie (Not the KEaton one) I think Adam West was a bit pudge, He had a beer belly in other words. he was not to skinny, he was 2 fat lol

Daywalker
I think Adam West is the true pioneer of the live action Bat movies. I have to say it was the best live superhero tv series of its time. What alot of you fail to realize is that Batman comics were not selling very well for awhile and Adam's Batman put the comic back on the map so we owe him alot.

As awesome as Michael Keaton was, if I met him, it wouldn't be like meeting Batman. It would be more like meeting an actor that played Batman. Plus when you have actors complaining about dawning the cape and cowl and saying they never want to wear it again (Kilmer), how can you call them Batman?

Adam is Batman. He loved to wear the costume and he had more time in the role then made it his own. I loved his show infact, I have the movie DVD and recorded all of the shows when it aired on tv. Trust me people, if there is a Batman in the flesh anywhere on this planet, it's Adam West. That man definitely paid his dues.

Daywalker
Adam wasn't fat, he had a very slim build. He was actually in great shape during the series. He wasn't made like a bodybuilder but he wasn't fat.

Daywalker
Not fat

punkyhermy
i think THE batman out there is Kevin Conroy!

Daywalker
Yeah, he has the best voice by far but he looks nothing like the part. His voice combined with the excellent animation creates one incredible Batman but you have to know that Adam had an impact on all the Batmen that we enjoy today.

punkyhermy
oh and ADAM WEST looks like batman?!

Daywalker
uh, yeah. I think that's why they cast him for the role in the first place roll eyes (sarcastic) There were many incarnations of Batman , not just BTAS.

Daywalker
Is this Batman from the Justice League? or is it BTAS? I don't know but this guy looks alot different. No long ears, no angry look, he's even smiling big grin Yep this is definitely a different Batman.

This is heavy sarcasm by the way. I'm just showing that there are many looks to Batman and not just the brooding darknight. On the flip side, Michael Keaton looks nothing like this Batman. Yep, this Batman teamed up with scooby Doo and the superfriends way before Michael Keaton put on his first rubber cowl and Kevin Conroy said "I AM BATMAN!" for the first time cool

SpyCspider
very tru Daywalker...

Adam West reflected upon the Batman of his era. I don't think we should criticize him for how much he's contributed. Like you said, the man paid his dues...in fact, he's probably the most accurately portrayed Batman paralleling his comic counterpart aside from BTAS.

Daywalker
I agree,

Personally, I like all of the Batman versions. Sometimes I like to pop in a tape of the new Batman adventures, I might watch the Superfriends, another day, Batman Returns or have myself a little Adam West marathon.

That's the beauty of Batman's many changes throughout the years, he can attract people of all ages and generations making for an incredible fan base.

punkyhermy
yeah i do have to agree with u there.People have different interpretations of batman. I don't believe for a second that batman looks like adam west,i prefer the DC comic batman and the animated one, but if u like west,who am i to say? smile

Daywalker
You said it yourself "you prefer" It's your preference. Adam West doesn't look like the Batman you prefer but he does look like a particular version of Batman wink

Joker1237
Forgot what forum is was but a guy ask what would happen if the Dark Batman was in the Adam West world of Batman, there was 3 replies. I never forget them,

He clean up the city in a week,

He wont be caught dead climbing a wall in broad day light.

And he make Robin put on some pants. funny suff.

Daywalker
That is funny but you have to think of it the other way around too. Let's say the present day psychotic, insane, mad genius Joker was in the Adam West world. Evil would rule Gotham. Both good and evil have stepped it up a notch in the present day.

Joker1237
Man I would loved to see Batman's face (West) if the insane Joker got in his world,

Batman- Cumb the Joker has gas a whole school makking hundreds die laughing,

Robin what we do now Batman,

Batman I dont know, no body dies in Gotham city,

Robin did the Joker leave any Jokes for his crimes?

Batman no just murder, but can murder, be a joke in it's self???/

Red Superfly
Adam West isn't the best Batman at all, but he was a comic genius!

The brilliant dead-pan delivery of every corny line was brilliant and I'm still in awe at how the actors kept such straight faces.

Anyone ever see the Batman 60's Movie? It had all the villains and they teamed up.

My fave bits were seeing the Penguins submarine (which had penguin flippers for rotor blades lol) and when Batman and Robin couldn't use the Batmobile, they had to RUN DOWN THE STREETS in broad daylight!

I always loved how whenever Batman and Robin would climb a wall, they would have a conversation the whole time, and sometimes they would meet some Joe Public who would open a window and say "Good day" and Batman would say something corny like "Hello to you, fine citizen" and they'd carry on. They'd spend like five minutes trying to climb some building, it was great. They always climbed a building for no reason, like sometimes the villains would be in an underground cave or something stupid, and they'd go climb a building for five minutes. GENIUS! Or they'd climb a building to be stealthy, but would end up in a classic POW! KAPUNCH! GEE WHIZZ! punch up brawl anyway!

Anyone seen Family Guy? I love the Adam West character in that too. I feel inspired to change my sig to something more Adam West, as a tribute - whatcha think of it now?

Daywalker
I hear ya Red! I agree that Adam's Delivery was awesome. I can watch Adam and feel like i'm watching Naked Gun, laughing out loud

I also liked how Robin was like the sane one of the two. He would respond to Batman like we would. Like in the movie when they crashed the batcopter, Robin was like let's get a taxi or the part when Batman was trying to get rid of the bomb "you'd risk your life for that riff raff in the bar?

Oh yeah, Adam as the paranoid mayor in Family Guy is sooooooo hilarious! He also did a great voice over as Batman in the Superfriends. I think an Adam West sig would be very cool.

Joker1237
Of couse he did a great job as the Grey Ghost in Batman ATS, He could be a dark hero judgeing by that show.

Mr Zero
Ah! the Grey ghost. That ends the debate right there - if the good folks who produced BATMAN TAS saw fit to get Adam in as the Grey Ghost - who in TAS was part of the inspiration for the character (a tip of the hat to the truth behind bats creation vis-a-vis the Shadow and etc.) then who are we to argue.

Adam West was a damn good bat, in the midst of the foolish chaotic 50's inspired nonsense of those shows he was 100% stoic and serious. It's almost safe to say that without him and the show we may not have a Batman to be fans of today. RESPECT!

Red Superfly
Exactly. Adam West's Batman put Batman, nay, COMIC BOOKS into the mainstream spotlight, and did nothing but great things.

Oh yeah, anyone ever watch The Justice League? I was just watching it then, and it's the one where they visit a Playboy Mansion kinda place, and there's a guy dressed as Adam Wests Batman doing the Batman dance!

Who remembers the Batman dance (seen in Pulp Fiction too)?????

punkyhermy
i watch the Justice League TAS but i did't see batman dance?! Except the part where darling brucey dances with wonderwoman...

Red Superfly
Oh right, it may have been a different episode, I'm not sure.

It wasn't Batman dancing, it was someone dressed up in the old Adam West blue and grey outfit doing the Batman dance.

Daywalker
Ah yes, I don't think anyone could ever forget the "batusi" I remember that Justice League episode: Knight of Shadows

http://www.jlanimated.com/episodes/index.php?id=20

Adam will forever be synonamous with Batman.

Red Superfly
Ah my new sig is uploaded.

"Holy Lunchbox Batman!"

Stealth Agent
Personally i hate the adam west batman to hell. I also hated the show. If it wasn't for him batman wouldn't a gotten so popular and be where it is now. I thank him for that but i still hate him.

Things i hate him for

1. Hate his friendly attitude. i like the darker attitude
2. His corny jokes
3. And he is like naively stupid Batman is supposed to be one of the best detectives ever alive and this guy says some really stupid stuff

Alright i did catch the batman movie where the villains team up on everybody Here's 2 things off the top of my head i hated about it

At one part a shark starts biting batty's leg right. He tells robin to get the BAT shark repellent. Who the hell has Shark repellent? i mean even for batman the man of gadgets and then Robin is taking forever to get his slow ass up the ladder (there dangling over the ocean) and get back with the shark repellent all a while this shark should of been able to eat the dude's whole leg. Man

Heres another thing missiles were being fired at them and batty had this missile converter gizmo. So he converts the first few missiles away but then the battery's die. You think he'd have the best battery's money can buy and be a bit more prepared.

Adam West was what ppl wanted back then they probably wouldnt of been to cool for a dark batman series so yes Adam West did do his place for Batman but get the hell away from me you gay guy.

Red Superfly
You. Just. Don't. Get. It.

It was great, it was fun, and it KNEW it was deviating from the comics (even the comics at that time were still pretty dark). The jokes were great. You don't get it. Even my twelve year old brother understands that it wasn't strictly a Batman series, more of a spoof.

If you don't like it, watch the fantastic animated series for the proper Batman experience.

I think it's great that the old Adam West show actually existed at all, because it is SO NOT Batman, yet I couldn't have it any other way. Either way, that show was an enigma.

You could also say that if that Adam West show hadn't have aired, Batman may have gone down the pan - and you wouldn't get your "cool" Dark Knight version that we know and love today. That show did a lot for comic books in general - and if it wasn't so stoooopid then there's every chance it wouldn't even be as successful.

SpyCspider
Hey ya,

Um...I think all the points you made about why Adam West sucked...were pretty obvious. NO SH*T. I mean, did you think people actually thought a Bat-Shark Repellent was meant to be serious?

Fortunately, we looked beyond that to see what Adam West contributed to the legend. The man definitely paid his dues. We should be glad he was around so the dark batman we all love now would exist.

loraxj
Originally posted by Stealth Agent
Personally i hate the adam west batman to hell. I also hated the show. If it wasn't for him batman wouldn't a gotten so popular and be where it is now. I thank him for that but i still hate him.

Things i hate him for

1. Hate his friendly attitude. i like the darker attitude
2. His corny jokes
3. And he is like naively stupid Batman is supposed to be one of the best detectives ever alive and this guy says some really stupid stuff

Alright i did catch the batman movie where the villains team up on everybody Here's 2 things off the top of my head i hated about it

At one part a shark starts biting batty's leg right. He tells robin to get the BAT shark repellent. Who the hell has Shark repellent? i mean even for batman the man of gadgets and then Robin is taking forever to get his slow ass up the ladder (there dangling over the ocean) and get back with the shark repellent all a while this shark should of been able to eat the dude's whole leg. Man

Heres another thing missiles were being fired at them and batty had this missile converter gizmo. So he converts the first few missiles away but then the battery's die. You think he'd have the best battery's money can buy and be a bit more prepared.

Adam West was what ppl wanted back then they probably wouldnt of been to cool for a dark batman series so yes Adam West did do his place for Batman but get the hell away from me you gay guy.

1.-40 yrs ago BATS wasn't a lone vigilante--he was a duly-deputized law-enforcement agent--kinda like james bond in tights....

and officers of the law are, in a perfect world, friendly public servants

2-When the show premeired they humor was fresh and new--most of what you think of as cliche' about the show had it's origins in the show...

3-What show were you watching??--the 60's Batman was even smarter and more capable than his current incarnation--not only did he use beyond state of the art forensic techniques, and a slew of hi-tech gadgety, he had a fricking ATOMIC REACTOR in the batcave!!--all of which was built and maintained in secret by himself....

it was only 20 yrs later that somebody at DC realized that maintaining all that crap wouldn't leave BATS anytime to actually fight crime, and they started adding characters like harold the hunchback, and oracle to handle some of the day-to-day....

as for the rest--please keep in mind that 60's Batman was primarily a KIDS show, aimed at the 11≥ crowd, since at the time, most comic readers were young--with touches thrown in for their parents ( a tactic that had been proven by the sucess of the equally legendary BULLWINKLE AND ROCKY cartoons)

B:TAS was skewed towards an older audience, since by the 90's the median age of comic book readers had increased significantly. if you miss my point, take a look at any of the numerous POWER RANGER shows--these are unashamedly aimed at kids--the plot sux, and the action rox!!--the only thing holding the interest of most adult males is the butt-kicking, and the pink ranger's heiney!!--television producers write their show's based on who they think is gonna watch them, so cut the 60's Batman show some slack for at least having as much humor for adults as it did....

btw--by the standards of the 60's mr west, was pretty fit--it wasn't until a few years after the show was cancelled that big buff bodies started coming into vogue

with the exception of guys like STEVE REEVES of hercules fame, most action heroes of the 60's were more slender--in fact, sean connery's bond was a little on the big side for the time....

NoFate007
The best Batman so far was Kevin Conroy in the animated series, thats the best, I think, adaption of the storyline. 2nd to that are Burton films, then Batman Forever...then sadly, Batman & Robin, which was horrible. I have a feeling though, that Batman Begins could tie the animated series...or at least be placed 2nd behind it, right before Burton's films...which will always remain classics no matter what though.

DarkCrawler
Hey, do you all remember the police officers Gordon and O'Hara who always were kissing Batmans butt?

"Batman, your genious in unbeatable."

"How did he know that? Marvellous!"

"I knew that you would defeat that maniac, Batman!"

Did they owe Batman something? Or did he knew an dark secret that would get them fired?

Anyway, for some reason, they were his "Yes-Men".

loraxj
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Hey, do you all remember the police officers Gordon and O'Hara who always were kissing Batmans butt?

"Batman, your genious in unbeatable."

"How did he know that? Marvellous!"

"I knew that you would defeat that maniac, Batman!"

Did they owe Batman something? Or did he knew an dark secret that would get them fired?

Anyway, for some reason, they were his "Yes-Men".

that's cause, sad as it may seem they meant it....

not the brightest bulbs in the marquee, those two--but genuinely nice fellows, just the same....

brainchild81
Batman:TAS is Bats at his best.

Kieralinn
Kevin Conroy!!

That's really all I have to say, though out of all the Batmen live action so far...untill weds..WHOOHOO! I'd have to say Keaton.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.