Unhosted RP Rules/Guidelines discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Following recent conversations on Game/player quality, I have decided to examine the possiblity of constructing a set of rules OR suggested guidelines to which people can refer to, both to aid in the creation and playing of games.

Some ideas have been forwarded to me but I would rather the whole thing was discussed in the community first. I don't want this to appear to be any one group of player's tryanny of style over everyone else, whilst at the same time recognising that some players create an atmosphere more conductive to good gaming than others, whilst some have been known over time to drag things down.

So I would like comments and suggestions here. When, or perhaps if, we finish, I'll create a new sticky thread with the new points in place, and remove this one.

Consider:

Do you want rules or guidelines?

How far do you want these to cover? Just basics like politeness? Requests to respect the setting of game? Or to go further, and give solid frameworks as to how posts should be constructed?

Do you want a simple set, or an in-dept guide?

And remember, I would like some pointers no creation, not just play.

Stormy Day
Cool guidelines smile

Darth Revan
I think it would be a good idea to have general guidelines, not a rigid set of rules. This is, after all, the unhosted section.

A few to consider:
Politeness- people need to respect other player's opinions/ideas about the storyline.

Originality- this is a tough one, but a lot of people recently have been either a) using the same character or almost the same character for every game, or b) becoming near carbon copies of other people's characters, to the point of changing their own characters in the middle of a game.

Reasonably proper grammar/spelling- it makes it a lot easier for everybody if people type legibly. Take time in coming up with posts--don't abbreviate every other word, use punctuation, and if you're not sure about the spelling of a word, use the spellcheck. Use the correct tense. If everybody else is talking in past tense, and you're typing in present tense, it can get a little annoying.

I'm not sure what to call this last one, but there seem to have been a lot of games about almost exactly the same thing floating around recently. When you come up with an idea for a game, look at the other threads that already exist before asking for permission to start your game. Consider joining somebody else's if it is about essentially the same thing.

Stormy Day
Thats some good rules too but I still think I should be able to use my character and his stats when I see fit.

crzygrl6412
I totally agree w/ almost everything on there... but consider this:
ur new on the site and want 2 get in2 a roleplayin tread... every thread has already been around 4 a really longtime and they're way 2 far in2 the stories 4 ya 2 just jump in (and believe me, i kno how that is). it's so much easier to just find a group that's only been around 4 mayb a couple months, or just 2 start a new 1 if thats ur only option. thats how i c it @ least...

SlickRick69
OK, but at least SEARCH for a compatible thread, and TRY to post a start up character or idea to the established thread before you suggest a NEW RETREAD THREAD...

most folks here are friendly enough and would help and support any noob if they just wanted to jump into an established game... as long as the noob wasn't a punk and wanted everything done their own way, as long as they read and followed the as-yet-unestablished Established Rules and Proper RP Etiquette. As long as you make an effort to fit into an RP, rather than fight against all the effort that has gone into the RP before you arrived, you could fit in fine... hell, might even renew interest in one of those long-dead threads that you think are too established and have been around too too long...

you never know until you try, so try to JOIN first before trying to start something new and rehashed for the 1,000th time...

also, the grammar, spelling, and sentence structure rules should apply as well. If all you know is how to type a single run-on and on and on and on, then guess what, RUN ON little rambler and go back to school for a bit.

Simple rules, to govern and explain in simplest terms, some of the simple rules of common grammar. Like PUNCTUATION and SENTENCE STRUCTURE, and QUOTATION MARKS, FRIEND OR FOE?

Proper etiquette as far as theme and setting and proper sentence structure and grammar are key 'rules' that get abused when it comes to 'uncontrolled' Unhosted RP.

that's what I think

((oh and, not to dis or start shit here, just as an example... crzygrl's post is a prime example of da stf drth rvn ws tlkn bout n da post he rote b4 bout brevi8td jmbls that we are trying 2 discRaj ...

if you post like that into an RP, that would tend to drive me batty!! SPELLCHECK people! and see all the RED UNDERLINED words all throughout the post you plan to submit?? that's not just pretty colors to spice it up, those are mispelled words, yeah.. when every other one of those is red and underlined in your post, there's going to be trouble... thats how i c it @ least... ))

SlickRick69
as far as this idea goes, the rehashed, reused, retread of exactly the same character in every RP, tends toward the idea that so many RPs that are made are so similar from the start, similar and unoriginal enough conceptually, to allow a retread reused character like every (meaning the One, same) character Stormy uses in every RP... it's as much a jab against the 'originality' of the RP itself, as is is against Stormy's complete lack of imagination and/or investment in each, every and all the so called 'original' universes into which are brought Stormy Day's cardboard cut-out character... it's a small step to cutting and pasting and copying complete posts from one RP to another, and YES I've seen that happen too!! (maybe not from Stormy Day... more research is required...) and at that point, might as well all be one same RP instead of several similar ones all with the same characters running around, pretending to act 'original'...

If you WANT to play one character, YAY go for it, and play that one to the very best of your ability, and have FUN! How can it still be the 'best' of your ability when it's the same thing repeated 17 times? It has to lose something, if only mostly the whole originality of the character concept and idea... right?? And, once the originality goes away, who wants to continue to interact with a cardboard cutout character in 17 different but same universes? As soon as the same character is seen popping up in 17 different threads, (well maybe sooner then 17...) I'd worry and wonder what happened to the originality and freshness vibe in the Unhosted RP Forum...

Stormy Day
My characters in every RPG are unique.

I may have the same name and stats but not the same views in every RPG.And it really doesnt matter what you or really even what USh says about posting the same stats for each character because where aloud to do that here this is not only unhosted its play how you want and not have dictators telling you how to play.

SlickRick69
hmmm... good point ??

Freddy_vs_Jason
Even though this is un-hosted I still think you should do what the thread-creator says so. Also its a annoying how you make really good imaginative posts like "the wind swept softly through his platnum blonde hair as he slang his back-pack over his shoulder" and others might just say "the wind blew and he put on his back-pack" thats boring people! I want to read interesting posts! also I think the thread-starter should be able to post a few guide-lines. In my Spider-Man one some guy started off as the villain, and I asked him if he could start off normal and post how he becomes that villain and he said no! its boring if you start off as the villain. Also I said no making up villains but you slickrick said you could do whatever you want and created your own character!

SlickRick69
I didn't say I could do whatever I want, Stormy Day said we all can do wahtever we want, so there!

Freddy_vs_Jason
Also some people make the story-line really far-fetched and ridiculous and it annoys everyone else. Like in my nightmare on elm street so guy (who shall remain name-less) put in a talking computer, he also posted he found info on Freddy at the libaury when the town had covered up Freddys exsistence, and he knew that. Also some guy posts like this: lets go to the store "says john" he puts speech marks around the wrong words, also when lots of people post in past tense some people post in present-tense which is very annoying. I just think even though its un-hosted the thread-maker should still be able to post some guide-lines which everyone should stick to.

Darth Revan
It seems there is some disagreement as to what "unique" characters are... Just because your characters have slightly different personalities does not make them unique characters. For example, these:

Name: Todd
Appearence: Tall, blond hair, muscular and good looking
Personality: Friendly, intelligent, slightly naive
Background: Brought up in a wealthy family in semi-rural Lane County. Enjoys playing music, playing football, and driving his car.

Name: Todd
Appearence: Tall, blond hair, muscular and good looking, has a tattoo of a celtic knot on his right bicep
Personality: Friendly, intelligent, but not very trusting
Background: Brought up as a bounty hunter, has known from a young age how to operate various firearms effectively.

...are the same character! They have the same name, their ages are close together, they look almost exactly the same, their personalities are almost exactly the same... Even if you don't consider them to be the same character, you have to admit that the above is at least an example of a general lack of creativity.

Stormy Day
Yeah FvJ you should follow the rules of the RPG it does get annoying when people dont I try to smile

SlickRick69
See, that's why all my characters have different names: Buddy, Ruddy, Uddy and Eddy! None are the same! Plus, one rides a horse, one drives a car, and one rides a motorcycle, and one just walks everywhere, so they are TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!

(can you sense the sarcasm in this response, and can you notice the irony of cut-and-paste shenanigans I use to illustrate my point in the RPs I don't really want to participate in, but have started 'original' characters in just the same??)

I do hope the point is made, and is valid, now, seeing it so blatant and obvious as I have made it.. or further research can be done, it's not that hard, after all. Takes no real creativity, just a matter of finding just the right post to cut and paste....

Stormy Day
You can post in my RPGs as much as you want slickrick no point made here just people wont respond to you smile

§wordpoint
I think that

1.Characters; should be allowed to kill the obstacles before them. If characters don't have the abilty to get past the bostacles before them set forth by some domineering person (E.G. someone who wants to win just for the sake of winning). So therefor, I think in rps, anythign that someone throws against another character should be able to be killed, solved, or beaten. Otherwise its not fair.

SlickRick69
THAT IS THE POINT!! all the cut-and-paste carbon copy retread cut-out characters transposed from one RP to another make it utterly and completely senseless and pointless to continue to respond to all those same characters in all those same threads at all the same time!!!

THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING Stormy! and I thought it would be beyond your capacity...

Stormy Day
No prob dude your post are pretty good to bad nobody in my rpgs read them roll eyes (sarcastic)

SlickRick69
that also is not true... I know my posts are read and responded to, even as off the wall and out of context as the post was, being cut and pasted from one thread to another... I can cut and paste proof of that too, if you like?

just goes to further the point that some people will read and respond to cut-and-paste posts and RP, out of boredom if not out of some sense of true enjoyment in the interaction... although, from the response that my post did get, I would guess that some enjoyment was garnished from the whole experience, so, there too, you are mistaken, Stormiester...

both our viewpoints stand, though, so I shall continue to do as you say is fair and right to do here in Unhosted RP land, and not allow the dictators to post rules against our freedom to cut-and-paste and attempt to interact and live and grow together here! respond and interact with me and my characters and posts(to further your point) or don't respond and interact with my cut and paste characters and posts, and only succeed in furthering my point for me and with me, that this style of RP is lame, stupid, foolish and a waste of good RP space...

thanks again, Stormy Day!

§wordpoint
I do. :Rolleyes:

Holy Man
screw you matt, everybody else doesn't care what you have to say about me, because i have done nothing to them fyou

have a nice day smile

§wordpoint
Yep I see your name written every toher word in there roll eyes (sarcastic) Get a grip, not everything is about you, that was taken from my experience with and summed up to something completely different.

Holy Man
what the hell are you talking about? you make no sense, try speakin on things that are actually happening

Stormy Day
Dont call me Stormeister wink

And second of all when youve posted in my RPGs no one has replied back ...not to my knowledge.And you can continue to post in my threads I will not change me view because your being arrogant.But you wasting good time even if you just cutting and pasting from the western rpg wink

Ushgarak
Whoa whoa whoa... let's not turn this into a personal war.

Whilst the thread starter has normally been the creative drive behind an idea, it is probably better if there is a community consensus on how a game will be played from those who express intitial interest rather than the creator always being able to put his foot down.

That said, if in proposing an idea for a game, a person specifies that he wants original character concepts only for when this gsme starts, then anyone not prepared to do that should not be expressing interest in the game. If the game is still popular enough to be played, then that should be fine, and people trying to disrupt that can be reported.

Technically speaking there SHOULD be room for all sorts in here.

§wordpoint
I tihnk I won... and lost there....

SlickRick69

Stormy Day
SlickRick no matter how long your post are and no matter what you think if people want more HighSchool RPGs there gonna make em roll eyes (sarcastic) .Even Ush cant stop what people want.If somebody wants to make an RPG of any kind and people start joining its not gonna be closed so what the use in arguing SlickRick if its not gonna change anything roll eyes (sarcastic).And how could even bring up Sunny Day Valley and Cuddle Valley High those are two successful threads that people like to play.

That was a very therol essay tho and I give it an ehh.. B- smile

SlickRick69
that would be too bad, if not even Ush could stop it, what people want, people get here... hopefully, you are wrong about that, Stormeister.

let's look at the cast of characters from those 2 successful, popular high school high RPs, shall we??

Cuddle Valley High: Captain Claudia start date: 1/18/2004
ElmStreetFan: Rowan Langenkamp,
Pyromaniac: Mika Morpheus Alistar Darke,
Captain Claudia: Katherine, Seth
DIBWILLPAY: Allor Anttisdottir,
Darth Revan: Derek Nix,
VallejoKid707: Theo Valencia,
FROST: Eddi Darkhart

Sunny Day Valley High: started by: Stormy Day start date: 6/9/04
Stormy Day: Stormeister,
Beyond Batman: Kyle,
Spaz Gurl: Tammy Jameson,
HeathLedgerGirl: Makenzie Ledger
Captain Claudia: Alexa Luka ,
Darth Revan: Serj Moldovan,
DIBWILLPAY: Gunna Aalto,
VallejoKid707: Romeo del Rosario,
FROST: Edward (Eddy) Darkhart,

see what I see? let me make it more clear, in case you missed it...

Cuddle Valley High: Captain Claudia start date: 1/18/2004
Captain Claudia
DIBWILLPAY
Darth Revan
VallejoKid707
FROST

Sunny Day Valley High: started by: Stormy Day start date: 6/9/04
Captain Claudia
Darth Revan
DIBWILLPAY
VallejoKid707
FROST

It's the same cast of players, basically identical high school high drama RP!

if these players

Stormy Day
Beyond Batman
Spaz Gurl
HeathLedgerGirl

had simply joined Cuddle Valley 5 months after it had started in January, rather than starting an all new rehash version of Cuddle Valley, called Sunny Day Valley, in June, it would be the same high school high dramas, but one less thread, thereby controlling quantity and quality all at once...

thats the kind of quality control a mod-god does have, and should use, if they really want to maintain 'quality control' and establish some basic guidelines for RPs here. right?

look,Stormeister, you proved my point about cardboard cut out characters ruining decent RPs, driving players away...

you even changed your name after I called you that repeatedly,

you changed your mind because of an outside influence

for better or worse, things can be changed because someone has an idea how to go in and make and apply changes to the already-established way of doing things, not by starting a brand new thread and rehashing all the same old same old used up ideas...

that's all I'm saying, about the rules and guidelines and what should be allowed and approved, quality and quantity control...

§wordpoint
Jesus, slickrick you seem to never post anything under a half-paragraph.

But strmeister, it doesn't amtter how long (Even they are the size of short stories) are, because they have a point, and you really need tos top ignoring that point or else you'll never learn. thumb up

§wordpoint
Actually he can. By closing the thread after they make it thumb up roll eyes (sarcastic)

no amount of eye-rolling or smiling si goign to change that.

Stormeister
Lol he cant if people start registrating for the RPG Ush isnt going to close it or else he get bad PMs from the people who where interested roll eyes (sarcastic)

SlickRick,Just ask the people if they like what there playing then youll see how wrong you are

p.s. stormeister was kindof catchy

§wordpoint
Again you are wrong. It is needed to prevent these carbon-cloned threads from popping up every two days from the same annoying newbies oer and voer again.

I sujjest something... a thread that lists all the currently active roleplays (active meaning after a week of no posting its no longer active)

Sure it would be hard to maintain, but noobies and toher people would know what had already been made and would prevent them from making it. And if they do, just close it. thumb up

Stormeister
Dont you hate it when you wanna join and RPG but everything is already so full but then something good comes along that you can join and have fun with? just a thought.

Hey why is Holy Man on your moron list?

§wordpoint
Dotn change subjects on me now. miffed:

No I don't hate it. It's enver to full, because its not real, and everyone can make room. There is always enough room roll eyes (sarcastic) That "good thing that comes along" ruins the oringiality of the other "full" one, and makes it so that fewer, and fewer people want to play either becasue it becomes stale and boring.

Ushgarak
Ok, let me make something clear.

I am NOT going to veto ideas that people want to play because of any opinion *I* have on the subject. I am not picking and choosing what does and does not get played. The approval system is NOT a form of quality control. It has one purpose only- to stop people opening threads that no-one wants to play.

So if someone has an idea and people want to play it, it WILL be approved, no matter how crap other people think it is, or how repetitive. If people want to play it, that is ALL I am interested in, ok?

I hope people understand that, because that is not changing under any circumstances, and if you do not like it, feel free to move on elsewhere. This area is an open area and anything that is popular and legal will be played.

Slickrick- frankly, your ideas are pretty naive. If we force new arrivals in an area to join existing games, chances are they just won't play. New posters setting up their own game is the main way people get into this kind of thing, and part of the point of this area is to accomodate that. If that means things seem a little repetitive- tough. It so happens I do talk with people who PM me ideas that already exist in the area on the same subject about whether it is worth it but I am not willing to do more than that.

So clearly some people have the wrong idea about what this area is for- and if I only get suggestions like the above from now on, I am minded to close this and give up on the exercise. It is becoming mainly an excuse to lay heaps of criticism on other players and I am not interested in that kind of thing in this thread.

I want ideas on community self-improvement, not a critique of the basic way this section is run, because that is not changing.

Forcizzle
i don't know roll eyes (sarcastic)

SlickRick69
do you mean naive as in
naive adjective(1) marked by unaffected simplicity, natural

OK, I agree... my ideas are simple and natural assumptions on ways to improve quality control here, in response to your questions posed to the entire community...

or

(2)a deficient in worldy wisdom or informed judgment

hmmm... not so sure about that one, I was using the entire thread, globally, and all the wisdom the entire Unhosted Forum information offered me to make my judgment

or

(2)b not previously subjected to experimentation or a particular experimental situation

I'll give you that one, but only because I haven't seen these ideas tested and experimented on by you, the mod-god mayor in residence...

So you are talking quality control with apparently no understanding of the connection between quantity and quality control... and you call me naive???

New posters don't bother to investigate and explore before they have a 'new idea', drop the idea in the Ideas thread, it gets noticed by vets, who say hmm haven't posted to a new high-school high RP in about 10 minutes so lets try it... the new poster gets high and settles in, thinking their idea is da bomb, then wonders why nobody else thought of that idea before, THEN explores a bit, having developed their point-and-click skills to the necessary degree, they find 4 or 8 other similar threads already running, and decide then that their idea was not so great, so THE STARTER of the NEW THREAD goes away to pout about their 'failure' leaving the 5-RP JUNKIE VETS to play thru the retread thread... this is the quality control you are talking about? seems, I dunno... backward thinking to me... but, then again, I'm naive...

How about planting some trees and flowers along the boulevards? (metaphorically speaking, there are so few sturdy trees and pretty flowers here as it is...)

...cleaning up the garbage and the carrion that litter the back alleys (again, metaphorically at least 2 pages worth of that sort of thing.. and since its not about quantity, and the odds that any new posters will ever be inspired or reminded or suggested to wander down the dead dark alleys of posts past 2 months old, close em all??) KEEP UNHOSTED KMC BEAUTIFUL!!

... shutting down some schools?? dealing with the mutant menace??

...shutting down smut shops, porn peddlers, crack houses, and brothels?

...how about teaching our children/posters to READ and WRITE?

...organizing a community sing along or prayer meeting??

...re-striping the lines on the pavement?

... opening a few more parks and other fluff-factories in the forum??

(you can figure metaphors for any or all of those little gems, if you can)

... electing a new mayor? self-improvement, (and self-importance) begins with self...

sorry, maybe you have a different definition of 'community' too?? well, community is a huge paragraph of definition, and I know all y'all in this community hate reading/writing huge paragraphs, so I'll summarize by saying it's a group effort, a team of like-minded goal-oriented folk gathered, living and working together, sharing original ideas, learning and growing as a whole, together...

sharing, learning, growing.. together...
what an original concept! (which is why it probably won't work here for long...)

closing

CLOSED!

Stormeister
Hmmm slickrick not point in arguing the MOD has spoken roll eyes (sarcastic)

SlickRick69
not arguing... just conversating, communicating...

communication
community
communism

see?

no argument here

§H@Ń€
STOP SPAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SlickRick69
not spamming either, just renewing, or attempting to renew interest in long-dead RPs, in order to make this forum flourish with a vast variety of new-old life... it's close to rehashing and retreading old topics into completely new and unoriginal ones, except these ARE the old original ones, so it's a BETTER IDEA (says me, any way.. further research is still being done...)

but not SPAMMING! so, OK! I'll stop (not) spamming... or something...

Stormeister
I dont know what happened overnight theres all these threads Ive never seen before that have been ressurected and theres a bunch of new threads that people have made without permission messed

SlickRick69
I raked the leaves, and did some mowing in the community, stirred the pot and got some new nibbles on some long dead threads... join up and dig back in!!

I think this is what Ush was talking about when he was talking about community service... or something... maybe not though? not sure

Stormeister
You did this What the f**k? ?

§wordpoint
That's why it says slickrick ona bunch of them... What the f**k?

all of a sudden a bunch of long-dead rps, 4 started by me, pop up on my subscribed threads list. I approve of you raking the leaves, but half of them I want closed, and a whole set of others I dont even play, and never will. Under the Sea is over. roll eyes (sarcastic)

§H@Ń€
"i'm in" that what he basically said on all of them

SlickRick69
I AM IN! just so excited about trying to fit in, not bucking the great system, not inquiring about or inspiring change... just being happy being happy with the way things are. And the way things are says I can retread threads all I want as long as I want, in order to get folks interested, if I don't want to start up whole new threads for the same old same old ideas...

unless I SHOULD start up whole new threads for the same old same old ideas... hmmmmm...

more research is required in this area. Until then, jump in and play the 30+ other threads I found! Come on people! Serve the community!!

Stormeister
Yeah when you see threads that have sunked to the bottum usually that the owner didnt care about it anymore and neither did the people but we'll see what happens

§H@Ń€
exactly, so i dought they will just flurish or what ever you trying to do.

and wtf is with the research thing you always say?!

Stormeister
Me....research?

§H@Ń€
the bolded part

§wordpoint
Actually Udner The Sea might work with a bunch of new characters

Stormeister
Whats Under the Sea about confused ?

§H@Ń€
mermaids, i think

Stormeister
messed

SlickRick69
yeah MERMAIDS RULZ!!!

Stormeister
messed

Ushgarak
Slickrick, your clumsy sarcasm is as unwelcome here as your elitist opinions. You have now contributed all I want you to contribute here- do not do so again. Incidentally, that is not up for debate in any way.

Carry on with that attitude and action will have to be taken. Simple as that.

Now, I would like to return this thread to where we were when we started- the establishment of a set of suggested good play guidelines we can put up for players.

Stormeister
Oooo slickrick got told smile

Gunnar Stahl
Okay, may I make a suggestion. This just might be me. Some people use the threads to let out their agression with other emembers. All I do is ask you do it by PM. I hate reading where one member and another is getting into a verbal/text argument while others are trying to rp.

Stormeister
Ive never noticed that.

Ushgarak
Even so, if it has ever happened it's worth putting up a note telling people not to do it.

More suggestions like that will be welcomed...

Stormeister
So our characters arent aloud to argue if the people that are arguing outside the RPG are enemies?

SlickRick69
you have 'enemies' on a message board??

Stormeister
Umm I dont think so confused a few people I DEBATE with but I dont think you can call them enemies.

Darth Revan
I have one or two, believe it or not... but none in this part of the forum.

the assassin
i'm here fo rthe discussion part. ok, here's the story. we started a van helsing RPG and the person who was van helsing never posted. i mean never. i checked and he was doing a lot of posting, jsut not in the RPG where we really need him. so, as a group, we all decided to kick him off of the VH position. so i sent him a PM telling him he was no longer van helsing. right after that, he said that "school ended so he couldpost more!" so he started posting but he was no longer van helsing because i fired him and had lready posted a van helsing casting call thread. then he kept bugging us and posting as if he were still VH. so as a group again, we agreed to kill him off. so i, being the wolfman, did that. then he made up some retarded excuse about him having doubles and he killed me. but we said that post he made didn't count and he was dead. then he got really pissed and reported me to Usgarak and stuff. i mean, holy crap!!! he's a member of sooo amny other RPG's and he has to make this one a big deal??? everyone else in that RPG agrees with me and i encourage them to post here to show their support and lets keep this fun!! it's a van helsing RPG, not a childish arguments thread!!

Elektra_lover
I am in that thread to and he didn't post for like 10-15 pages and i keept getting stuck for i was Anna Valerius and i would talk to him andc i had to wait untill he responded. Usally i just made something come and attack us and then ignore the whole conversation. We even had a better story w/out him

<Tidus>
Well its tooooo Bad cuz you picked me in the first place! And second all they did is said:I know Van Hellsing is under the tree so I come over to him throw him up and cut his head off? What if I got interested in the Van Hellsing place already? They have no right to do this to me thats why I reported it to Ushgarak.

the assassin
dude, a werewolf has very heightened scenses and he could smell and hear you, so he wnet over and killed you.

<Tidus>
NOT LETTING ME RESPOND SOMETHING LIKE: Van Hellsing quickly took out his silver blade and put it in Wolfmands teeth so he couldnt bite Van Hellsing!

Guardian_Rikku
The point is you didn't post in a long time. They didn't wanna be held back in some things cause of one person.

Elektra_lover
exactly and when we confront u about it magicaly school just ended even though u posted in many other RPG's like The Assain said

the assassin
yeah! we even got someone who's not involved on our side. i'm gonna laugh soooo hard if ushgarak decides to ban you!!!!! lol. he's not gonna ban me because i'm the only one who could've killed you considering i'm the only baddie!! everyone in that thread agrees with what we did!!

Guardian_Rikku
laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Hey, can we please keep disucssions about particualr incidents out of here please?

And Stormmeister, it is obviously bad form to allow factors of friendship from outside an RP to mess up how things are working inside one.

Stormeister
But your not in very much control of that are you?For all you know there characters are arguing not them erm

SlickRick69
well there's a guideline in that then...

keep RP and RL separate. don't bring Real Life crap into RP games, just because you have a beef with an ass monkey in real life, don't make hell for them, even (and maybe especially) if that ass monkey is a mod god or even a creator or just another player in a RP thread...

is that a good rule of thumb or guideline?

Stormeister
But all in all thats something USH cant prevent erm

SlickRick69
uh oh Stormiester..

we're almost agreeing on something again... eek!

Stormeister
eek!

Ushgarak
It's easily spotted in practice.

Stormeister
No it isnt for all you know its the characters that are fighting to warn someone when you have no proof would be unfair wink

Serket
I know I'm really late on the subject of characters, but I think that there are some characters that fit in multiple role plays as long as they aren't exactly the same. But I also don't think it's right to constantly reuse characters. embarrasment

Ushgarak
Just as a note, this isn't dead, just on hold until I can get the time to crack on with it- in the New Year sometime. I am aware of some feeling in the area of RP improvement lately; feel free to keep suggesting some ideas.

Neo_Version 7
Coolness!

sidewinder_102
I believe any restriction on any roleplay, be it text driven or dice rolled, should be specific for that roleplay. There are always going to be people better at writing, more original, or more creative that may or may not want to mix their cool original character design with a ssj4 goku clone. Due to this, some rp's should be for that more detailed class of rp'ers, while other rp's should be for those people who aren't for longwindedness and just want to get in and blow that hlaf dragon demon prime evil to smithereens. I mean, you could even go a little crazy and have a whole 'nother set of rp's devoted to mixing these two groups if some people don't mind the difference in style. So, in reflection to this whole paragraph, all rp's should have their own unique style and rules stated by the rp originator.

Furthermore! One of these rules could be outlawing, accepting or inviting already made/used characters.

Ushgarak
Ok, some very basic guidelines now up in the new Welcome thread.

So, back to this 'Better RPing' set of guidelines, which could alwas be optionally enforced on any game ideathat chooses to want them- which could include things like "No duplicate characters" and so forth. Anyone else wnat to contribute ideas?

FFKadaj
How about the "open ending" thing. Often people just state that someone elses character has been hit or is bleeding. Shouldn't it just be like ex: FFKadaj swipes his katana at Ushgarak and-
and then the next post will be "and the katana barely misses his flesh.

Wyrmses
Now see, that kind of thing tends to become troublesome. I tried that once. It interferes with my para rping, and it turns out people take advantage of it. I always end up missing, and being that my charicter can't block EVERYTHING with her staff, I get hit. I'm not some godmoder, except when I use my dragon from the underworld. But that's not the point. My point is, I don't agree with the "open ending" thing.

FFKadaj
I guess that's true. It all comes down to who ur rping with. Over-powered characters, unfair treatment, it happens alot.

Wyrmses
I know. It is really quite annoying. Which is why I report whoever isn't playing fair.

Ushgarak
That is indeed very much an issue with the community in each game- open RP posts are great if everyone is of like mind, but I remember an early SW Unhosted RP where I left open posts and then any idea of plot development I wanted was smahsed to pieces by other people taking advantage of those posts so nothing I did ever worked.

Disturbing13
Is anyone up for a Jeepers Creepers: The Beginning RP?

Raven_FAN
Naruto anyone else

Disturbing13
I'm up for it, I'll be Hyuga.

Family_guy725
Originally posted by Disturbing13
Is anyone up for a Jeepers Creepers: The Beginning RP?
can you tell us a little more about it like what is going on where we are
etc..

ESB-1138
How about an RP poll of the month? Like 10 RPs from Unhosted are picked and people vote for which one is the best of the month.

riku harada
Originally posted by ESB-1138
How about an RP poll of the month? Like 10 RPs from Unhosted are picked and people vote for which one is the best of the month.
but what exactly would be the point of a thread like that?

Wolflet
Originally posted by ESB-1138
we already have a Rp Award thread erm

Wyrmses
That's just pointless.

Ushgarak
Please do NOT pitch game ideas in here.

TheQuincy
Ush, what are your thought's on those who "roleplay" by only typing one sentence? Or even half a sentence?

Ex: John jumped to the side and stabbed him.

And they consider that the whole fight.

JacopeX
Thats jus plain stupid. I type everything and with details sometimes.

Gen. Chambers
Lazy people. A few RPs I made someone always wanted to kill/defeat the main villian in just one hit.

CaptainBen
I might type one sentence but it is never like *Ben jumps up and cuts him in half*. I have seen it before. Im not going to mention any name *cough dyingstar cought*

Gen. Chambers
yes So true yes

Thunder Fox
i try not to but its kinda a habit

Shadow x 20
I mean doing something like your character says like

Bob: No

Is alright sometimes but something like:

Cloud jumped up and sliced Sephiroth in two

Isn't. Big fight scene would be

-Cloud jumped as high as he could and swung his buster sword downward at Sephiroth.
-Sephiroth jumped back but the blade's tip cut his left eye. Sephiroth wasn't nearly defeated yet and with a quick slash he went on the assault
-Cloud blocked Sephiroth's attack the best of his ability and had no choice but to jump back to get out of the fight.

And so on and so forth.

takuto
I think it is a habit for some ppl. I know that often I fall into that habit, but not usually during fight scenes. I'm trying to be better about it. What I do admire is those ppl who take time to type out paragraphs as they RP. It is quite nice.

Wild Cherry
Originally posted by Shadow x 20
I mean doing something like your character says like

Bob: No

Is alright sometimes but something like:

Cloud jumped up and sliced Sephiroth in two

Isn't. Big fight scene would be

-Cloud jumped as high as he could and swung his buster sword downward at Sephiroth.
-Sephiroth jumped back but the blade's tip cut his left eye. Sephiroth wasn't nearly defeated yet and with a quick slash he went on the assault
-Cloud blocked Sephiroth's attack the best of his ability and had no choice but to jump back to get out of the fight.

And so on and so forth. hmm..well as far as that subject goes, i use 3rd person, and i type in complete gramatically correct sentences most of the time, ecept for the occasional action in asterixes, however it's always followed by a sentence... Pero my typing skills seem to be failing stick out tongue

Mandolorian
Originally posted by Stormy Day
But all in all thats something USH cant prevent erm weren't you banned?

Mandolorian
Originally posted by Gaia
I think it is a habit for some ppl. I know that often I fall into that habit, but not usually during fight scenes. I'm trying to be better about it. What I do admire is those ppl who take time to type out paragraphs as they RP. It is quite nice. i need to do that cause i write stories and if i say "jack killed lamon" or "jack slashed lamon" or "10 minutes later jack killed lamon" the story won't be to great

Vampire_girl
that was a year ago

Mandolorian
oh.... and vampire girl can you post on inuyasha pleaze

Vampire_girl
ok

Mandolorian
tanks

Ushgarak
Originally posted by TheQuincy
Ush, what are your thought's on those who "roleplay" by only typing one sentence? Or even half a sentence?

Ex: John jumped to the side and stabbed him.

And they consider that the whole fight.

It depends what the object of the RP is, but I am pretty sure that is going against the immersive intent of most games. Whether it can be actively banned or not is another issue.

I am glad some more debate is being generated here- please do discuss this issue!

Chaosbark
Eh, I have a question as well. Ushgarak, do you think that the automatic hits should be legal.
Ex. Zack swung his sword cutting off Bob's arm.
You know, things originating from those lines? Oh, and I think that posts should be more thorough but that's just me. I have a roleplaying fighting style people could use. It's called T1 or technique one. It's paragraph fighting. If you would like to know more i'll see if more people wouldn't mind learning it. Even make a thread perhaps?

Gaia
I think the proper way to approach a problem like that is that person one can attack, and person two must name an injure. They cannot escape the attack. I've noticed that frequently RPers will simply post: "Jack dodged Bob's sword and hit him hard in the face." Often, attackers name what happens so that their opponent is actually hurt. On another forums site I'm at, the moderator of the all user RPG stated that:

"Note that I left it like that. It is up to the opponent to decide the injury but do it right. No godmodding, like you parry with your hands and kick him in his throat. No, you will take damage. If you have an Instant skill in play,then the damage may be lessened. Also note Spawn earlier wrote that he dropped the bow. Meaning he is now in deep shit. Be careful what you write. You may not undo it later."

Unless a character has a special skill that they use, they will get injured. If the attacker describes his attack in detail, then his opponent must name an injury.

Here is a cutscene from one of my fights with another member's character:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Floating above his opponent, Tai sensed his discomfort. Doesn't like the sun. I suppose being a vampire does that to one.

Watching Dartl try to spot him, Tai circled around him so that he could attack from the side. An attack from behind was beneath him. It was unjust, even for an being of the Darkness. He realized that he would have to rely upon intelligent, rather than strength for in this open areana, they were both at an equal disadvantage. Now is not the time to be the gentleman. Tai tried talking himself out of his actions and manuavered himself so his position was behind the other.

" Hearing the vampire finally respond to to his question finally, Tai got what he expected. "My name, you say? ...You gotta be kiddin' me! Prove yourself worthy, and I'll reveal it to you. " The vampire paused for a second and seemed to be thinking or perhaps talking to himself. D*mn cocky vampire. Here I am trying to be civil and you retort with a statement like that. "Now come angel, show me what you're worth and I dare you to disappoint me!" You want to see what I can do? Let's fight then. Diving, Tai slashed at the vampire's legs, using the passive skill of Holy Strength to improve his attack damage against the vampire. Then, making a sharp turn, he barely avoided a collision with the ground, but left himself at a disadvantage. He now hovered a mere four feet off the ground.

Dartl had been waiting for a response from the angel, and was completely startled when the angel suddenly dived down to him, slashing his legs with an incredible power added to it. What the?!? Dartl fell down to his knees while his legs was burning like they had been put on fire. That guy seriously won't end up with 'n undead gal, that's for sure! he thought while lying down on all four.

Despite the pain in his legs he talked himself into not leaving himself exposed and eventually end up being hit by an second attack, thus he came to his senses soon enough not to waste any valuable time. From the edge of his eyes he suddenly realised that the angel had dived down too rapid, and was now hovering a mere four feet of the ground, finally leaving the opening Dartl had been waiting for. The plan which Dartl made up at that very moment did even surprise himself, but with his time limited, that was the best he could think of.

Thus, in a sudden blink moment he threw his whole sword - his beloved weapon and his best defence - away towards the angel in a terrifying speed, and while he was watching his sword rotating on its way to the enemy like a boomerang he quickly started to mumble his darkness spell. Buy me some time, buy me some time... Even though the fighting scenery clearly wasn't to his advantage at all, he didn't intend to let go of it in a smooth way, running away like the pitiful coward he had been that morning... too long ago.

Breathing heavily, Taiyou barely noticed the gleaming object being flung at him. Not having time to dodge the attack, but did block what would have been a fatal blow to his throat. Instead, the blade made a deep gash in his left arm, and another wound on his wing, before the sword fell to the ground. Wincing in pain, he too dropped to the ground.

The vampire's muttering to himself again. It's either a spell, or he's insane. Well, he'll see what I have in store for him then... Tenderly picking up the blade, Taiyou concentrated on his wounds, and envoked the instant skill of Holy Bolt. A white aura surrounded him, healing his major injures, and wounding the vampire. "

As you may have noticed, both people were wounded according to the other's attack. The Injury Rule is very helpful, especially in fight RPs. The attacker does not specify the wound, allowing the other to determine it on his own. The attacker does state how and what part of the body he is attacking, though. This creates a very good two-sided battle.

Ushgarak
Well, here we are getting into the setting of rules, which really have to be done co-opoeratively by people inside a game rather than by dictat by me- as this is kinda the point of Unhosted. I would fully support any such measures players of any of the games here want to take, however.

Gaia
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well, here we are getting into the setting of rules, which really have to be done co-opoeratively by people inside a game rather than by dictat by me- as this is kinda the point of Unhosted. I would fully support any such measures players of any of the games here want to take, however.
Oh, I mean that she (the moderator) was the creator of the game, not the section

silent dreams
well what if we want a n00b free game?

SlickRick69
pro'lly in order to have a n00b-free game, you would first have to run thru a n00b-full game, then run a sequel or follow-up using those same characters, or at least same players with same or new characters...

i don't think you should be able to deny a person access to an unhosted game simply because they haven't been a member of this formum for a certain length of time; they could be the greatest writer in the world, too busy writing best-sellers and award winning screenplays before now, but finally shown in terest in KMC Unhosted RP, so you be missing out by dissing them... you never know.

Dissing and denying some of the n00b crap that goes on in some certain games should be OK though, after the fact, once the crap is discovered and determined to be on-going, unchanged, immature antics.

Games do get boring if the same old players bring in their same old characters or character types to any and every new game posted to the boards, regardless the 'new and different' slant to any game. Same players tend to write in same styles, which get boring to regurgitate; n00b-blood is fresh and sometimes sweet... once you smack the n00b-ness out of them so they write right!!

silent dreams
well what we are doing is....uh....no one can play the game unless they have at least 3 months experience. because of all the crap n00bs have said about my thread, and some fights, i thinks it should be n00b free unless they pm one of the players and tell them why they should join and they won't cause problems in it.

Ushgarak
Hmmm... banning new people from an Unhosted game makes me uneasy, it must be said.

ShinobiRikari
It depends on how the n00b RPs. Some new members have RP experience from other sites.

Thunder Fox
but some...... not saying names rp for crap and don't listen when given....advise

shinobirikku
i use to suck at rping i'm getting better now

Thunder Fox
yes you are you need to work on editing your posts and grammer once in a while

shinobirikku
Yea i know i've been trying to work on it more.

Thunder Fox
i have to admit though you have progressed alot though.....ok ending the spamming her

QuincE
Is it just me, or has there been a TREMENDOUS growth of BAD-POSTING???? What is with all of the 3 word posts in a role-play. it's ridiculous. I'm basically just ranting, but since this is the guideline's discussion, let's try to ACTUALLY POST.

Faroth
I know. People make undescriptive, incomplete posts. For example...

Bob jumped.

This is how you RP...

Pulling out his sword, Bob jumped toward the monster in a frontflip, and slashed at the monster's leg. When he landed, his sword was smoking with blood.

silent dreams
But a lot of people won't do that. They refuse to listen to our advise and do things wrong.

Tails x 20
I try to do good when i'm rping!

silent dreams
I wasn't talking about anyone in particular.

Tails x 20
I know but it's includeing me, because i'm a noob!

silent dreams
oh.

QuincE
Every time someone new comes to the roleplaying forum, I hope things are for the better. But this "new-blood" just ends up sucking. Alot.

And yes, you DO want to post accurately, and with better grammar. But the thing is, some people who believe they CAN roleplay with description, do just that for about...2 posts, then it's all back to: "Bob blocked it looking angry his eyes had fire."

Chaosbark
First, this whole title of 'noob' is rather stupid. I'm sure people will eventually open themselves to learning better roleplay. Then again, would negativity be all that there is towards people that seem to not be descriptive enough? Why not have say a thread that perhaps for those who would like to learn to roleplay better could go there? A few of the more expereinced roleplayers could perhaps help them and answer any specific questions. Instead of simply starting a very long chain of negativity, or loose compliments. Yes, some people do show improvement for a moment, but simply being argumentive when they drift to their old fashion of roleplay should only result in positive reinforcement. Or perhaps it proves they really don't want improvement.

Faroth
I've always been descriptive... I think erm

/\Symbiote..Mad
can i have permission to create a spiderman role play please

Faroth
Not the right thread. Anyways...

Is it just me, or have the RPG forums gone dull? I mean, there are like no good RPG's that are open/have permission yet, and the ones that would've had great potential were destroyed by people who screw up and twist the storyline. For instance, back when The Perfect Warrior was here, it was about a genetic creature that could to amazing feats, and stuff. Some people turned it into an anime/Grand Theft Auto/Resident Evil thing.

ESB - 1138
I remember that RPG. I had high hopes for the Perfect Warrior

Lord_Saratn
Ush, ((don't know if he looks in here. didn't want to bother him by pm)) do you think you can take a look at a few rpgs that are getting ruined by a few people?

i think it's getting out of hand. they ruin the plot on several rpgs and it gets quite irritating.

that's why i don't rp much, because the rpgs that i like get ruined all the time.

Tails x 20
Like which ones. I have a lot that get ruined to that i like.

MadMel
the only one i think got ruined for me is the sith wars one in the star wars section. people were mucking around with force alchemy and force fireballs mad

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>