What determines Maturity

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Holy Man
well?

Darth Revan
The ability to use good judgement- ie, you've had four beers and some guy challenges you to a street race... Bad idea to accept.

There's more, I know, but I need a few minutes to think about it.

Holy Man
Exactly like thinking maturily, btu i'm confused on what determines it?

is it the way other ppl act, does it depend on the type of person, like don't take advice from a druggie on wether or not to take drugs

Darth Revan
I'm not sure what you mean about the second part...

Holy Man
on the drugs part

Does it take maturity in decision making to say no?

Darth Revan
No. Because I know both mature people who have experimented with drugs, and immature people who never have.

Holy Man
well the was it a mature decision to make to experiment with them?

Darth Revan
Probably not. But here's something to think about: one person who I know is around 40, and tried pot when she was in high school. She said she hated it the first time she tried it. If she had never tried it, would she think of doing it as an immature thing?

Stormy Day
Shouldnt this go in the GDF forum?

I agree with Darth Revan its your judgement mostly that gets you a good mature image

Holy Man
So then it takes maturity to nto do the drugs again, what about the addiction? Is it immature to get addicted after that one try?

Darth Revan
No, it's not, because a lot of drugs cause a physical addiction, which is tough for anybody to resist.

phinney6
Maturity is the ability to recognize a problema nd act on it in the most sensible way possible. Age factors in because Of experience, if you do not try it and never experience something bad you cannot be more mature about it the next tiime.

Stormy Day
yes

I dont think being mature has anything to do with how drugs influence you sad

Fëanor
one matures when one realizes that their is no such concept as maturity...

Stormy Day
Thats not true wink theres many concepts to maturity and how you can become it.

Fëanor
one is naive to think that he/she is mature or even to say "I know I am".

maturity is not something one decides just because you've reached a certain point in ones life...there are no deciding factors to say when one is mature...by acting or being mature does not constitute maturity...

Darth Revan
indeed... It's like wisdom... If you tell yourself you are, you aren't.

Linkalicious
Feanor's hitting the nail right on the head with this concept.

A grown adult who is a comedian...is old enough to be mature. But they are paid to act immature by telling jokes and making fun of things...

Maturity is more a quality that can be displayed at any given moment....not a status quo that is reached at a particular age.

Fëanor
"Quality"...yes...that was the word i was looking for

silent_kisses
I think age plays a part too yes
I mean most often then not (not always wink ) people at like their 30s would be more mature than someone in their late teens.

If you mean what ideas determine maturity, then I think the ability to think under pressure and make decisions based on sensible judgements without falling under peer pressure, then I suppose that's maturity.

A dictionary definition of the word mature is to reach your full natural growth, physically and mentally, so therefore some people are never capable of the levels of maturity as others.

I hope that made sense embarrasment

Darth Revan
Well, it's really experience more than age. Obviously, generally speaking, somebody who's older has more experience with life than somebody who's younger. But I think it's important to realize that it's not age, but experience.

Stormeister
Yeah I hate that alot of people tend to think that because someone is older they automatically become more mature.

I mean SlickRick proves that entire older age maturity theory wrong erm

Anywien
Could be intelligence. People who are smarter will generally act their age, if not older. Most of the time anyway.

Aini
tell me if I got you wrong.
but are you saying that if you haven't tried it you don't know about it? I disagree. like, you don't have to jump from the Empier State Building (don't know how it's written, sorry) to know that it's a bad idea. and so are drugs, I don't have to take LSD or cocain or whatever to know that it's bad.
but if you just meant, that you have to make mistakes to learn from em, I totaly agree.

Devalion
Two factors that can be associated with being mature are respect for others and Tolerance

The Omega

Clovie
being responsible of(for?) your choices

Arachnoidfreak
Somehow, I manage to act mature, and irresponsible at the same time. I know this because people tell me.

Like I heed their words. roll eyes (sarcastic)

alic88
masterbation

alic88
(just kiddin)

WhiteEagle
Totally agree. yes

Turbo-Cajun
maturity = hitting puberty

Maturity = responsibility and rational thought exercised when making decisions

Silver Stardust
Maturity is something that is based on the experiences you've had in life. It's how you choose to act in a situation, how you've learned to tolerate and respect others, and how you take responsibility for your actions.

Or so I think.

WarSpawn
maturity's based on how many jokes you can tell.

Paxelius
>> What determines Maturity

Mature is to open up your soul and heart to life - like the petals of a bloom to the sun.

Curl_Up&Dye
Although common sense is something everyone should have....

who the hell thinks they have the right to judge maturity, when no one is perfect?

AdventChild
Maturity is how some one is raised as well as age..... Me for example- i'm 16 and my girl friend is goin to be 18 in about a month and i'm way more mature because how i was raised and my experiences in life.... For someone to say that maturity deals with age alone is completely wrong... Maturity is something that has to be shown by multiple actions, and responsiblity, not gained by age. Don't get me wrong though.. Age does play some factors as far as maturity goes... Mostly because older people have been through more.... or experienced more... so really maturity is based on experience....

Fiery Eyes
What determines maturity? The way a person responds to what is said, done, Your actions, attitude.
Like if you don't agree with someone, a mature person wouldn't instantly start calling names... they would listen then state their belief and move on. A mature person wouldn't harbor feelings, dislike someone cuz they don't believe the same way. It's all in the way a person responds to different things in life, rather you agree or disagree. I believe a person can be mature at times and immature at other times, depends on the subject. Maybe that person lacks maturity in that certain subject but other subjects is very mature.

fever red
Man, this IS a tough one. I'm a bit befuddled.

Maturity is determined in relation to a standard, correct? It's relative. I'll posit that the standard of maturity would be the ultimate progression/evolution of those human abilities that "develop" over time.
So that would be self-analysis, but probably not tolerance. Tolerance isn't an ability, is it? Still, tolerance correlates with self-examination.
So, tolerance doesn't determine maturity, but it may be a marker for it.
I'm going with self-analysis as one component. Being able to "check" yourself is something that has to be evolved.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.