Fight Club

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mechmoggy
Has anyone else used DVD slow-mo to see how many times Brad Pitt's character (Tyler Durden) just appears at random in the first quarter of the film?

I saw him appear 4 times when I watched it last night.

mah
havent..but a good film though

Ushgarak
It's an ok film. Very well made, and funny in places, but overall, the ending far from compliments the rest of the film and it's basic message is, frankly, rubbish.

But it is 4, is it? It's once on the train... hmm, I have only seen the first 30 minutes once... where else is it?

Fitch
didn't noticed...but do you know about the ending frame? laughing out loud

mechmoggy
Once in the office near the start monologue.
Once in the hospital when the doctor tells him to go to the tesicular cancer meeting.
Once in the meeting, standing behind the bloke who's standing up.
Once when he comes out of another meeting and he's watching Marla Singer walk away.

Those are the ones that I've seen, if there's more I'd like to know.

I wouldn't agree that its message is complete rubbish Ush, I quite like the point that "The things you own, end up owning you". Thats quite profound, I think.

Tex
I love how Marla goes to those testicular cancer meetings! big grin

Dexx
ooh, this a great film

mechmoggy
She has a fair argument for wanting that one when they divide them up too, "...I have more right to be there than you, you've still got your balls!". laughing out loud

Dexx
it has some killer lines like that throughout it...my god, i wanna see it again.

stinkfist462
this is my favorite movie of alll time .. it is jus so confusing and good at the same time .. i love this movie eek!

SpaceMonkey
Great movie... although a select few actually got it's "meaning".

roundisfunny
You mean the anti-consumerism message?

SlipknoT
Love this movie!

SpaceMonkey
Yes, Round, that message.

Krabs55
ok what does that message mean

SpaceMonkey
It means that people today are too caught up in unimportant stuff like looks and social class instead of trying to better themselves physically and better the world around them. Seriously, look at everything going on in the world, it would be a better place if we were all free of people who "know what's good for us".

MarkHobin
This is a great movie, with two of my favourite actors in.This movie changed my view on certain things, one of them being Brad Pitt.

silvabullet
This is also one of my favorite movies. I've been watching it a lot lately too, funny you bring it up. Sometimes, I wish I could just let it all go, and become like that, and no, not be crazy..... you know what i mean.

Myth
This is one of the greatest movies of all time in my opinion. Great ending plus it was awesome even before the ending was shown.

Linkalicious
hit the nail on the head. This movie i can watch over and over...Edward Norton and Brad Pitt deliver great performances...

"I am Jack's colon, i get cancer, and kill Jack."

<<Solo>>
Great freaking movie.

total metalhead
best movie of the 90's. Ed Norton is phenomenal and its the best role Brad Pitt has and ever will play.

ElectricBugaloo
GAh. the book makes the movie look like a Disney movie.

It is way better written, the ending isn't a sappy hollywood ending...It's just better. But the movie was very good.

JoshSquash2k4
This Movie is on my list of best movies of all time i didn't like brad pitt to much until this movie came out

Krabs55
I need to read that book

VilleValo462
what book ?

Kes
Fight club. The book the movie is based on.

nazgulinthedark
*throws mud* hehehe

ElectricBugaloo
::sigh::

nazgulinthedark
*throws mud* hehe

Kes
nazgulinthedark&gt;Stop that!

A Talking Dog
I heard from a friend of mine, who read it somewhere, that in the premier of From Hell, Marilyn Manson picked up on a quick subliminal shot of a body part, in true Fight Club style. They said the shot is somewhere at the start of the movie. I have tried watching the movie over and over, but i can never spot anything.
Is this even true?

Aku
The first rule of fight club is......You do not talk about fight club

The second rule of fight club is....You DO not talk about fight club

Third rule.....If someone shouts 'stop', goes limp, taps out the fight is over.

fourth rule.....Only two guys to a fight.

Fifth rule.....One fight at a time fellas.

Sixth rule......No Shirts, No Shoes

Seventh Rule.......Fights will go on as long as they have to.

And the eighth and final rule....If its your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

How come when they fight no one ever screams OUCH!, or YOWEE! after theyve been punched?

roundisfunny
Also, why are there no "Batman" sound effects when people get punched, like "ZOK!" and "THUDD!"

mailedbypostman
Punches above guy.

Cinemaddiction
Gentlemen, welcome to the 100th thread about "Fight Club".

Laviera_j
Can anyone join? Iam a pretty fast mover and could wipe any of you guys.

I am all woman by the way...

And just so you know, "You are the lowest forms of life on the planet, ranking right in there with the slugs and worms. You are not special."

Myth
^ what the f*ck?

BackFire
I'll be the first to say it. I didn't care all that much for Fight Club.

Myth
^ death yes

BackFire
Don't get me wrong, I liked it alright. I just didn't think it was the masterpiece other people seem to think it is. I thought it was good, but the ending was real dumb.

A Talking Dog
the ending was cool, like police academy or something, in the commentary, Fincher says something akin to "love at the end of an era" and the ending, and it fully takes that message.

this movie really is a great work of art, and probably a masterpeice, in my mind, it is the second best Kubrick Movie that Kubrick never made. *first being Taxi Driver*

kelita_33
Hey whatsup. Im a student in a film class and i need to write a paper in like 2 days so i can pass, im not that worried cause my teacher loves me cause im one of the few in the class that actually thinks deep. My problem is i think too much and anyway, ive decided to write a paper on fight club, cause it was a tight ass movie. I completely get the whole materilistic, commercial, "the things you own end up owning you" thing, but im not sure if i can stretch it for 3 pages, so if anyone would like to give me some ideas it would be much apperchiated.

lil bitchiness
hmm..what are you trying to get out of this exactly...? messed

Tyler Durden's philosophy is that 'Self improvment is masturbation, self distruction might be the answer' so therfore there you need to self distruct, hense the Fight Club was formed.

Basicly you have to hit the rock bottom in order to know how much you can achive.

''You are not your job, you are not how much money you have in the bank, you are not the contents of your wallet, you are not your khakis, we are the all singing all dancing crap of the world.''

whiteymoza
fight club is amasing fighting realy does work hurts next day but high is amasing

whiteymoza
I wave seen at least 2 if u watch careful just when the doctor goes to see the testicular cancer and i cant remember where the other1 is i will get back to it wen i watched it again

BackFire
Why the hell would you trust Marilyn Manson? That guy's just seeing what he wants to see.

roundisfunny
I think Whitey is right. I could've sworn there was the distinct odor of balls all around that movie....

Wolfie
I love Fight Club. The movie and the book are awesome!

I saw a music video not too long ago in the style of Fight Club. I don't remember the band or the song title. Can anyone help me out?

SpaceMonkey
This is old, I know. But I LOVE this movie!

Rogue Jedi
Watching it now yes

SpaceMonkey
What part?

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by roundisfunny
I think Whitey is right. I could've sworn there was the distinct odor of balls all around that movie....

Probably Where Is My Mind? by Pixies.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
What part? Jared Leto just got pwned.

Menetnashté
Best movie Ever.

Hunkajunk
Good movie!

"With a gun barrel between your teeth, you speak only in vowels."

"I am Jack's smirking revenge"

Darth Exodus

Markus Corvinus
One of my favorite movies, some messed up stuff happened in it, and it had an ending no one would suspect in a million years.

jaden101
Originally posted by Waggy the Dog
I heard from a friend of mine, who read it somewhere, that in the premier of From Hell, Marilyn Manson picked up on a quick subliminal shot of a body part, in true Fight Club style. They said the shot is somewhere at the start of the movie. I have tried watching the movie over and over, but i can never spot anything.
Is this even true?

to answer this question 4 years late...you see several shots of tyler durden subliminally before he is actually introduced on the plane

1 he is standing with his arm around the meeting organiser for the testicular cancer victims

2: when ed norton's character is talking to mara after one of the meetings and she's going to the laundrette tyler can be seen appearing between them as she walks away

3: he can be seen flashing up at the photo copy machine when ed norton's character is at his crap job near the start

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/fcotyler.jpg

and the next or previous frame

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/fcoffice.jpg

http://www.eeggs.com/images/items/569.full.jpg

http://www.eeggs.com/images/items/568.full.jpg

http://www.eeggs.com/images/items/570.full.jpg

and they're supposed to represent that aspect of ed norton's character beginning to become more apparent

Impediment
Having been one of the few people who had read the book before the film, I was disappointed by the final scene. The end chapter in the novel was so much more satisfying. My friend discovered Chuck Palahniuk's genius and gave me his copy to read. I finished t in one evening.

The movie itself is very well made, and very funny at times. I loved the scene where Tyler describes his vision of "a perfect world" to the Narrator while the Narrator is drifting in and out of consciousness. (At least, I think he is.)

MildPossession
Jaden - I don't think he wanted to know about Fight Club, but about a shot in From Hell.

SpaceMonkey
I think it's time in America for another movie like this. Once every ten or so years our society needs a slap in the face. I know it shouldn't have to come from a movie, but whatever works, huh? What do you people think?

SnakeEyes
I think it's time in America for another movie like this. Once every ten or so years our society needs a slap in the face. I know it shouldn't have to come from a movie, but whatever works, huh? What do you people think?

I'd be down for that, as long as it's original/different.

Menetnashté
I'm all for another movie as good as fight club but by the way you worded it I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for...

SpaceMonkey

Menetnashté
What do you mean?
You just worded it like Fight Club made a political statement and you were looking for another movie to do that rather than just have another good movie.

SpaceMonkey
Oh... yeah that's what i meant. It's sad, I know, but the thing is, right now people pay attention to things in the entertainment industry. So why not have 2 birds killed with one stone.

super pr*xy
love this movie.

WrathfulDwarf
I was watching Fight Club on G4 (which sucks cuz is heavily censor) and I notice a hole in the story.

Okay, remember the scene where Tyler is inside his boss office and starts beating himself? Afterwards he says "we now have corporate sponsorship...we can have fight club every night of the week"

See, there is problem there...isn't Tyler desire to be independent and wanting to break away himself from ordinary working living in a corporate life? That's why he is frustrated and establish the Fight Club....to free himself from our fast pace working modern life.

So why would he even want corporate money to support his little rebelious fighting club?

That's exactly the same hole I have with anarchists crying to be freed from capitalism. I mean, they seem to be very infantile as far as living. They want to have some sort of financial support but at the same time want the pleasures of hard working without having to go to work.....You guys see what Am I saying?

Hypocrisy to the max!

Just something that bug me a little.

Robtard
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
So why would he even want corporate money to support his little rebelious fighting club?

Becasue he's using the corporate money to directly fund his rebellion; double-sticking it to "The Man." See?

Movie/story isn't hard to follow, come on.

Rogue Jedi
Not to mention he hated his job.

Movie tragic
Amazing film cool

starlock
Horrible Movie.. sick

Howard Beale
Originally posted by starlock
Horrible Movie.. sick
WHAT?????????
Heresy, one of the best movies of all time. David Fincher is crazy good with this movie. The writing is really cut to the throat. In addition Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are absolutely perfect and the narrative is thrilling and driving.
10/10 (and it's really not easy to get that score from me.)

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Howard Beale
WHAT?????????
Heresy, one of the best movies of all time. David Fincher is crazy good with this movie. The writing is really cut to the throat. In addition Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are absolutely perfect and the narrative is thrilling and driving.
10/10 (and it's really not easy to get that score from me.)

I agree wholeheartedly!

killakyle
awesome movie... my absolute favorite! I wanna see another move like this come out that was this good.

FistOfThe North
FC's on tv right now.

On A&E. Started 40mins. ago.

super pr*xy
i wanna see the story from durden's POV..

arytha
i've watched this 5 times

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.