True Happiness

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VENOMfanFAN
Does it exist? If so, how does one achieve it?

Fëanor
to achieve happiness is to know pain...

AmS-gUrL
I dont think true happiness exists, there's always gonna be some problems/pain etc. in your life, so you can never be truly happy.

Fëanor
happiness is a concept devised to oppose the pain we must all suffer through...

Exabyte
Yes, and that implies that there is no real happiness because you can only be really happy when there is no pain; but without pain, happiness couldnt exist, it would have nothing to relate to, would be grey standard and not mean anything anymore - it's contrast that defines happiness, and contrast means nothing exists in its pure self.

silent_kisses
True happiness is an illusion created to keep people striving for it.

I think that's how advertisers market goods, the promise of true happiness lures people to buy the biggest and the best in hopes of achieveing something non'existent. This keeps people working hard for something everyone wants, but can't have.

Darth Revan
*sigh* people are so cynical these days...

No, there is never going to be a time in anybody's lives when there is absolutely nothing wrong with their lives. However, that doesn't mean you can't be truly happy. Even if it's just for a short amount of time, doing somthing you enjoy. I've been there a couple times, just a short window of time, maybe a week or so, when I literally had nothing to worry about. Granted, you can't always have that, and I guess if you think that's what true happiness is, you can't ever have it. But personally, I'm grateful for something less than that.

silent_kisses
Cynicism is not all bad.

Darth Revan
I know, I'm cynical too... But I think saying that true happiness doesn't exist is pushing it a little.

silent_kisses
Define true happiness first yes

Evy_O
There is no such thing as "complete happiness", but of course you can be truly happy ... it's a feeling, you feel happy, you exist, therefore it's true blink

LilKitty
I believe in true happiness, but i dont believe in its lasting.

Only a personcan make themself happy, if you depend on other people to make you happy, you'll be endlessly dissapointed.

Darth Revan
^agree

Trinity_Matrix
I agree also. No, there will never be a moment where something's not going wrong, but there can be a moment when a person is truly happy. True happiness will never last, but it can exist. And it's not something you can really define because different things make different people happy.

...and this is coming from me, a rather pessimistic and cynical person no expression

Fëanor
it is...a good thing

shaber
It might exist.

bigbadbike2
Happiness is a choice. You choose how you react to circumstances. The choice is built on a sub-conscience level when throughout your life you learn to deal with pain in certain ways. Some people get angry, some depressed, others hide it with a smile and say they are OK. We can choose to reprogram our sub-conscience mind. By saying what we want to believe outloud. By using positive affirmations instead of negatives we slowly reprogram ourselves. For example: If you cut your finger on a knife, instead of saying "I hate knives" instead say " I am glad the cut isn't worse." Remember everything that doesn't kill you will make you stronger if you evaluate the situation correctly.

I hope this is understandable.

Ushgarak
I find simple dualism very tiresome. An enlightened person can recognise and understand and feel concepts without experiencing the opposite.

Evy_O
I agree it's not lasting, without that meaning it doesn't worth it of course.

But I don't think you definitely have to be disappointed, there are people that have never disappointed me and I don't think they ever will, and, in fact, they do make me happy.

Predator 89
iam in agreement with your statement Evy o. Many people belive in order to have hapiness you need to feel disapointment. But instead if people where never disapointed and had only happiness then we would only feel even more joy. of course that will never happen to anybody in a wold like this, so its basicly impossible to couterrest Feanors point of view, although i can advocate on both sides. You have a good positive view Evy o keep it up.

HockeyHorror
true happiness is impossible to achieve. bad things will always occur.

but most people just dont see happiness no

mark twain once said
"happiness is a Swedish sunset, it is there for all, but most of us look the other way andd lose it."

or somethin like that^

Forcizzle
heaven's the only true happiness that there is.

HockeyHorror
i would agree but is there a proof to that?

Gorgoroth
No, the only true form of hapiness is when you all convert to Melkorism.evil face

yerssot
you mean...saying "got milk"? blink

Forcizzle
Well it's perfect, so that's gotta mean something

and yerss laughing out loud

silver_tears
I think true happiness can only be achieved through perfection of the world around us, when there is no more suffering, violence, stress, etc.

Perfection doesn't exist, so logically true happiness doesn't exist stick out tongue

Cyclops
Very strong word, Sils.

Reborn Again
One moment in Time. Find the one moment in time when you felt the most content, and you have found happiness. This is what I have learned.

Yesterdays Gone
i think happiness is only achieved once you've accepted all the imperfections and learned to live with them. happiness is more of what makes a particular person intent with themselves and others.

Fiery Eyes
true happiness: yes i do believe in it, not saying you won't have bad times....but you can always have the joy of the Lord, and still be truely happy.

WhiteEagle
"You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life."

-Albert Camus

Clovie
no

Manôkhâu
True happiness.....for me...
Was when I fell in love.

Samurai Girl
i dont think true happiness exists!

Fire
me and a few of my mates had a very long philosophical debate about this

Linkalicious
I think you can find true happiness in the arms of a lover. The person that makes your whole world stand still, so that everything in life revolves around the two of you.

if you need more, then you live too complicated of a life.

Fire
We (well not all of us but atleas the smartest ones; me and jerre smile) came to the conclussion that true happyness lies in appretiation and recognizing, other ppl (or in some cases themself) appreciating you for what them and they recognizing you for that.

Linkalicious
i like that....good definition.

Fire
hehe but with this definition of Happyness it's hard to look at charity work and selfless actions in the way normal ppl look at them.

Storm
Certain areas of life like contentment, confidence, gratitude, personal growth, cheerfulness, relationships and optimism are known to determine our happiness.

Fire
They affect our happiness, that much I agree to, but to me it seems impossible to be able to achieve happiness without other people to share your life with.

Lord Urizen
According to the Buddhist concept of the Ten Worlds, happiness can be achieved through different means, but any happiness attained in the lower six worlds is completely temporary and conditional.

Heaven according to the concept of the Ten Worlds is the ultamate state of concentrated happiness, but is temporary and fragile. It is the happiness resulted from a fulfilled desire or stimuli (ex: if someone you love loves you back, if you win a billion dollars, if you win the super bowl, if you achieve some long life goal, etc.)

However, as strong and powerful as this happiness is, it will be short lived.

Hell is the opposite, the failure to acheive Heaven, and the state of sorrow, self-pity and misery over failure to live out a desire. Hell is the result of one failing to achieve this conditional happiness, and is caused by holding on to those attachments.

Buddhahood is a state of happiness where we put our own needs last, we are free of our superficial desires, and we put the knowledge, growth, and happiness of other people before our own.

According to Buddha, true happiness can only be achieved by bringing peace, knowledge, and happiness to other people. This kind of happiness is not self-dependent, is not conditioned by self fulfilling desires, is only fueled by the effort to make the quality of life of other people its fullest.

Shakyamunison

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The truth is, you can be happy like a mad man, for no reason what so ever.

I experience that every now and then laughing

Happiness for no reason is the most sincere happiness of all

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
I experience that every now and then laughing

Happiness for no reason is the most sincere happiness of all

I know what you mean. I believe that the happiness we are talking about is eternal, it is just you and I who can't always see it.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I know what you mean. I believe that the happiness we are talking about is eternal, it is just you and I who can't always see it.

I beleive that the Happiness that comes from no particular cause is the most sincere because it is unconditional. There is nothing that created it or can destroy it; there are no attachments to it, it simply is

We, however, as limitted, thinking, feeling human beings tend to travel between experiencing it and not experiencing it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.