Speak in Ye Olde Englsih

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VENOMfanFAN
Aye! T'is a place where the ancient art of dialect is a wonderful thing. Please, hold thine tongue if thee harbour intents of besmirching this glorious of things!

Be not a pox of this threade!

P.S. there is an 'e' on a lot of words. Be inventive, and have fune! laughing

Hells_angel

Vampy
thou shalt biteth thy arse!!!!

Abbita
thou shalt not pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vampy
You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforward art thou also dead--dead to the World, to Heaven and to Hope! In me didst thou exist--and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself."E.A. Poe 'William Wilson'

lol?

OrliObsessor1
eh...Thyself cannot speak it of the old english language, but that of the pirate language is what i CAN do...
(bad?)

Hells_angel

R@ven
Thy word ar't well formulated

Fëanor
wouldst thou then in truth ape yet another thread in simile? Ay, there but 2 likened to thine own...In truth, yon fair language that thou wouldst call "Olde English" be not so...Hark thee then well, 'tis named thusly "Biblical English", and no other...

VENOMfanFAN
Tis an valiant effort, my lady.

Clovie
er det noen her?

Hells_angel
don't get it

Abbita
thou can not speaketh ye olde english?

R@ven
(old english is derived from the bible since it was the only book really published in that time big grin )

OrliObsessor1
(That isnt old english, thats some damn foreign language.)

Hells_angel
still don't get it!

VENOMfanFAN
Tisnt a worrysome occourence, my lady. Tis a language that grows and blossoms, as a rose does on a summers morn.

Fret not. Dost thou not strive to learn the langauge of mine time?

Abbita
thou speaketh beautifully, like a bird singing merrily on a summers morn

Smiling_Sadly
fyou for knowing how to speak this!crybabyand not teaching me!

Clovie
me thinks i can't speak olde english.
me thinks i can't speak even new english sad

the Vee
One canst speaketh in elden tongue sad

Abbita
hark! thou signal inaproprately! thou shalt lie in the pits of hell and purge thy sins for your misdemeanour!

Montross
All who doth hateth me, kiss thein arse.

Hells_angel
LOL

what is the meaning of

ye?

VENOMfan
What forth wicked cretin!? Some trollop has thiefed my biscut!

the Vee
i art afeared messed

VENOMfanFAN
Thou must not dwell on these dark hours. There is much to know.

Friends, KMCer's, Community-folks. Lend me thine ears! I have come to bring joy, not sorrow! Join me in an hour of triumph! Speak in YE OLDE ENGLISH!

Abbita
hark!! thou speak in satans tongue montross!!!!

Hells_angel
STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abbita
doth KMC meaneth Knights of Medieval Chatter?

the Vee
Ah the air tis the sweeteste note of ye olde dunge

VENOMfanFAN
Young maiden! Seize thine blasphemous tongue! Thou does speaketh of the native tongue in a scornful fashion. A pox on thee!

laughing

VENOMfanFAN
methinks you speakth the truth....ith

the Vee
hehehe
thou jest well

Hells_angel
really stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!

Abbita
thy vee, we shalt strive and we shalt not fail for exams are upon us!! We shall ride into battle galliantly and we shalt not die!!!

the Vee
kisseth mine butte :P

pixie1
thou conversation is so inlightning

VENOMfanFAN
Thou speaketh out of turn! And in ill-fashions in the presence of a lady. Hang thine head in shame, thee Vee....e

the Vee
erm yeah-seth what she speaketh

Abbita
thou shalt not speaketh out of turn

Vampy
thou shalt kisseth THY arse!

the Vee
Que?
(im ye olden peasant who heareths the tongue of my french dame)

Abbita
my fair lady, thou speaketh liketh a wench!!

the Vee
oh no i dont-th

VENOMfanFAN
Tis no matter to jest about, Thee Vee! Thou speakth with an ill-tongue! Thou shall be repremanded! Thou must recite a sonnet to young Abbita.

Vampy
wench thouself thee poxycock!

SeptemberRain
Come hither to thy castle

Abbita
not thee, vampy, hark! we shalt be scotts wenches!!

Garnet
Thee are all all ye crazy!

VENOMfanFAN
We must appoint a ruler of sucha lovely estate.

the Vee
there once was a lady so wholesome and fair she was named abbita and she had.. browneth hair? messed

Vampy
thou shalt stay away from thy scott.

scott is thy and thy only mad

i will not lend thy scott to anyone...

even thy sister.

Abbita
why thanketh thee mine Vee, thou shalt be forgiven in the eyes of god

pixie1
thee is not crazy thee sujests that thou is crazy and shoulduth be takenuth to the castle dungen

the Vee
ar ye olde dungeon eek!

VENOMfanFAN
Dost thou speaketh to me in such a fashion, Pix? This act of treason shant go unnoticed! mad

Vampy
thou shalt... uhm.... shalt.. argh

i'm outta words.

the Vee
why musteth all ye good townspeople accuse each another of such heineous crimes against good.. why canst we not live in peace ?

VENOMfanFAN
I must concur with such an act of civil prosperity. I, being appointed myself King of Ye Olde Land, hereby proclaim that THEE VEE shall henceforthe be my ROYAL VISIOR!

Vampy
because thou art all martians, vee!!!

Hells_angel

the Vee
hail king.. erm Vff

VENOMfanFAN
Thou hast learned in the ways of the YE OLDE ENGLISH. May thine household be blessed with many healthy boys.

Abbita
hark! what about thee? thineself hath been a loyal and trusting townswench!!

Vampy
thyself dun wonna be pregnant

Hells_angel
i'm good right?

Abbita
thou shalt learneth from thy best wink

the Vee
ye olde lol
aye
oneself agreaseth firmeley

pixie1
thou kind sir venom i would never no thou ist like a warm sping in my life i would never

Hells_angel
i undertand that!

*you should learn from the best* right?

VENOMfanFAN
I must retire to thine apartment.

*Hops on his trusty steed*

FAIRWELL, Townsfolk!

Abbita
Farewell, may thee have a safe and prosperous journey!

the Vee
Aye
*raises ye olde sprite pop*

Abbita
thy need to fall into slumber now

Jedi Priestess
finally! something that hasnt slipped ore thou fair maidens head

SeptemberRain
Thou haveth taken mine pants

the Vee
I begeth your merci i swear the devil hath told me these pantaloons were of my possesion

SeptemberRain
Taketh mine pantalones, for i shall not needeth them

Discos
thee shan't devouir thouh into revealing ones true spoken language

Fëanor
Hail...and well met Lord Discos

Art thou then perusing yon OTF? Hath then the lotr forum groweth idle mayhap? Verily amused am I' to layeth eyes upon thee hence...

Discos
fear idle not noble one, I merely venture out beyond thous regions to explore,

Fëanor
*laugheth I aloud*

Abideth hath I upon yon region for quite some time...Lo' said forum doth groweth ill upon I methinks...forwith welcomed there no longer I...Here then resideth I. Ay Ay...I

Discos
ach, thee forum shall stand as it is for many centures to come, does thouh doubt the will power of the grand members?

silent_kisses
I madeth a thread like thiseth stick out tongue

Discos
I don't know what thous talking about,
I hate yee

VENOMfanFAN
Mine eyes hadth not lain eyes upon such a thread of beauty. Thou must taketh me there. Perhaps we can join hands...*sniff* and maketh one wonderous thread.

SeptemberRain
Ye olde pube laughing

silent_kisses
How I loveth a man who's willing to compromise love

Korri
hoieth that beith my soneth erm

Mighty Yoda
whyeth you haveth a nice sigith korri

VENOMfanFAN
Hear ye! Hear ye!

The time hath cometh to speak in Ye Olde English again!

Fëanor
Mine eyes, and yea too mine ears doth cause me much pain to read yon prattle...In truth, none but the most learn'd knoweth then to speaketh fair language...

Grieved am I, Lo' mine heart doth wither anon...nigh is the hour of mine demise...*cough cough*

Alas! the light dimmeth e'er so...wondrous now art mine senses...for now is the moment so close to death's door that I shouldst feel life anew...*cough cough*

VENOMfanFAN
T'isnt you time, good sir!

the Vee
weary do i grow of this. please good sir do not place a pox on me. i speaketh the truth

VENOMfanFAN
There shant be a pox placed upon thee.

Cyclops

REBORN!

Abbita
ye oldeth thread hath returned from beyondeth thy grave!!!

Cyclops
I have come from afar to post in thine threade

rusky
What hast thou visiteth ?

Cyclops
For many years now, I have travelled for hither to thither... across this great land. Mine eyes have seen natures true beauty, and evil that I dare not speak of.

fatheroflies
whyfore, dare speak not of?

Seija-Ihana

Syren
clapping

That was beautiful. I genuinely mean that.

Me_arse
hollo me name is mindy, t'tis i who be writen a book with such words spoken here. i am in need of assistance fori know not much of this language.

Seija-Ihana
Any authors considering the use of older, dialectical forms of English should consider the following:

There is no substitute for the spoken form of any language. We cannot, in any absolute sense, know with absolute certainly what older dialects sounded like. Fortunately, however, scholars have spent years reconstructing the accents of various periods base.d on literary patterns such as rhythmic and rhyming necessities.

The easiest way to become accustomed to an accent is to hear it. For instance, one can find a good many sound clips of Shakespearean English through the fine work of one David Crystal. Try typing 'reconstructed Shakespearean English accent' on Google and you will find ample information on closely related American accents (isolated areas of tidewater Virginia, for instance) and sound bytes of the Shakespeare in his 'original' accent.

Chaucer also has many clips on YouTube which give a very good idea of what English sounded like several hundred years before that.

Vocabulary is, of course, also essential. By the time one reaches the 1700s and 1800s, there are ample dictionaries, many of them exceedingly ironic, which chronicle the slang of the time (search 1811 in particular). I cannot recommend good sources for earlier periods, however. One hint is to buy period literature with extensive footnotes. This is easier done with prominent literature (Chaucer, Shakespeare) than with obscure regions (say, the English spoken in Ireland in the 1620s).

However, remember that, as an author, one must remember not overburden the literature, or one condemns oneself to the same extensive footnotes found in Shakespeare. Most unentertaining, for the casual reader.

My favourite word for subtly bringing a person into an archaic world? MAYHAP. It is used EXACTLY like perhaps or maybe. Mayhap that will be enough?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.