Rappers as Actors?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
Well, skimming through some all too common Hollywood remake news, I stumbled upon this..

Now, Focus Features has been a great indie distribution outlet, with movies such as "Eternal Sunshine..", "Swimming Pool", and the upcoming"Garden State."

That said, all hopes for this being good were dashed once I saw one name in the credits, and it wasn't John Leguizamo.

Ja Rule!

Since getting punked in public by 50 Cent, this "rapper" with little to no street credibility has resorted to movies. Suffice to say, he is a horrible, horrible actor. His credits include "Fast and The Furious", "Half Past Dead", and a small, forgetable role in "Scary Movie 3".

MY question is, what is that makes these rappers think they can double up as credible actor/entertainers? Do you guys WANT to see more rappers in movies, or is it kind of like a Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen
deal, where you'd love to see them die a horrible death at the hands of some horror icon?

What say you?

Vengeance
meh well i think eminem did a good job in the rap movie. but i dont wanna see another one try and fail.

WindDancer
I'll say firstly that this thread might belong in the Movie Stars & Celebrities forum. As for Hip hop artist or Rappers or Musicians (whatever people call them these days) I really don't mind them. If they can put a good performance then more power to them. Take a look at Tupac he was a hardcore rapper and made a movie with Janet Jackson. Did he do a good performance? I dunno know I never saw the movie. But the fact is that some musicians love to get into acting. Take a look a Rob Zombie or Kid Rock they are great rockers, but are they good actors? When it comes to movies they better have talent or else.....stay with music.

SeptemberRain
I have always felt that musicians should stick to music, while actors should stick to acting. I mean even if they are good at both, they should stay in their main profession. More and more musicians are trying their hands at acting, such as Bon Jovi in John Carpenter's Vampires:Los Muertos. I dont ever want to see Bon Jovi act. Billy Bob Thorton made a band i dont want to hear his music.

roundisfunny
"You're pretty fancy, Wilson."

"I have my moments."

"Assault" is one of John Carpenter's lesser-known movies, and with good reason; it's not that great. It has elements of suspense and action, but held up against other siege movies, it tends to fall flat. One problem I always had with it was that the enemy was never clearly identified; it was just a generic punk gang that got hold of a ton of weaponry.

Plus, even though the acting wasn't too terrible, I can't think of a single actor from that movie that I've seen in another movie (with the exception of Tony Burton of the "Rocky" series). Maybe I just haven't watched enough alternative cinema for them to be familiar faces, but if they're going to be unknowns, they should at least be cult favorites at some point. Even "Escape From New York" and "Halloween" had Donald Pleasance to give them a little credibility.

It's not that it's really a "bad" film anyway; in fact, the shot of the little girl's ice cream cone and upper torso suddenly spattered with blood is one of the more vividly horrific images from my teenage movie memories. I recorded this movie from cable about 20 years ago, and have watched it enough times since then to be somewhat familiar enough to make an assessment, I think. In any case, I hope the remake makes the story a little more eye-catching.

wuTa
Tupac could act but thats coz his high school was a school for performing arts (basicly an acting school)....some rappers can act and some cant...there are alot of actors who cant act either

moonwalker741
i hate rappers or singers that act in movies.....but i like actors that sing, cuz usually they 'DO' hav talent

wuTa
if you heard kevin bacon, billy bob thorton, or russell crow sing or try and play in a rock band i think you would be singin a different tune

fini
i dont know why they dont just stick to their genre. Yeah some of them might turn out to be good, but some of them are out there to make bigger versions of their own music videos ( and this goes for more than just rappers).

the exceptions to the bad actor/rappers list is Tupac, eminem and the Queen.

wuTa
i dont thin you can put eminem on that list yet...the dude was in one movie and prett much played himself...the other two you mentioned were more in one movie and did good jobs at playing different charactors

botankus
I disagree because it is a thread which actually contained a logical thought process.

Agent Elrond
Well as long as these rappers stay in "thier genre" of films (you know, things like Honey and You got Served) I don't really mind, since I'll never see them. Now, if they start getting inot drama, i see problems, big problems.

Bad Boy
At the end of the day, who cares if its rappers turn actors or actors turn singers. As long as they do their job well, thats all that matters.

Will Smith, Eminem, Tupac, Ice Cube have all made brilliant performances in their films so who's to say someone else can't follow in their footsteps?

As long as John Leguizamo is in it, it should be good!

Linkalicious
LL Cool J> Kicked ass in Shark Attack

Eminem> Kicked ass in 8 Mile

2Pac> Kicked ass in Above the Rim

DMX and Nas> were cool in Belly, but DMX sucked in all the rest of his movies.

Kid Rock> was cool in Joe dirt

Ja Rule> Sucks at just about everything he does...

While none of them were oscar worthy actors.....you have to realize most actors aren't either. And most people in real life can't even act like themselves well enough to earn an oscar. They do a good job portraying their characters in the movies...

Evil Dead
Tupac owned it in Juice................

that's all I have to say on the subject.

Stormeister
Eminem is by the far the best raper actor out there its not easy to figure that out wink and his performance in 8-Mile was really suprising and impressing smile

Bad Boy
He's only done 2 films!

Will Smith is the best!

BackFire
Rappers always choose films that take very little acting ability, so it doesn't matter.

Vengeance
your right will smith is the best singer and actor out there. but eminem is still awsome at acting. well so far

Drifter101
god i hate rappers who think they can act seriously you talk bout getting shot but if u keep on making films w/ your horrible acting skills this will most likely really happed sniper

wuTa
he;s not that awesome....he's only really done one movie and in that movie he had a solid supporting cast plus he was playing himself so he really wasnt acting....he has hte potenital to be a good actor i;ll give you that but i would say its a lil too early to say he's an awesome actor

Vengeance
actually hate to tell you but he wasn't playing him self man, he was playing a kid like him though. but still yes it was one movie but he kicked ass in it. but still he wouldn't be that good if it wan't a rap movie.

Stormeister
Eminems done another film?

ariwin
The only two that i've seen that i thought were okay are Redman and Method man in how high -- but the again, they play themselves.

their new show isn't that funny.

wuTa
no he was playing himself...it was a semi-autobiography film about his life which means he was playing himself under a different name and they made things more hollywood but thats why they called it a semi-autobiograpy of his life and not autobiography but that jimmy rabbit charactor is based off eminem which means he was playin himself

hezzy_baby
i dont see what the big deal is, they can at least try acting and if there good then they can keep on doing it.

Stormeister
Wuta,it was a movie inspired by his life NOT BASED if thats what you mean smile

fini
omg,how on earth could i forget WIll Smith. probably cause he's primarily an actor now, and rarely does albums.

Bad Boy
All I'm gonna say is Will Smith in Ali!

Stormeister
Isnt will smith a actor as a rapper?

fini
uh NO, he and Jazzy jeff came out with an album before FRESH PRINCE. Will SMith is the lucky, crazy son of a gun who gave up a scholarship to MIT to go and Rap.

the man must have had a cryatal ball to see the future or something.

Stormeister
Oh I didnt know that confused he a pretty decent rapper the song for MIB2 "Nod YA Heads" was awesome cool

Evil Dead
um......they had more than one album. DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince were around for years........when Gangsta completely took over the rap industry they tried one more futile attempt, alas.....not even their semi-hit "summer time" could save their career. As far as the music industry was concerned, their careers were over.

Smith was asked if he'd be intrested in his own show.......he took the gig because his music career was dead. That led to movies and we see where he's at now.

For what it's worth.......I think Smith is a good actor when he sticks to action comedies. He does them very well. I don't believe he'd ever be considered an actor's actor.......he doesn't really have range. He stinks up the screen in every movie he does that isn't an action flick.

While I loathe 8 Mile (the movie had a very very very weak plot, was pretty much pointless) I must admit that Eminem did a good acting job in it. I would like to see him in a real movie one day......I think he has the chops for it.

P.S. no, the movie is not autobiographical in any way. Eminem was playing a character. A character who is in no way similar to Eminem. Eminem didn't grow up on 8 mile........he was born in Kansas City and lived the first years of his life there. His family later relocated to the outskirts of Warren, MI (suburb of Detroit). Eminem was just a poor white boy with a dream...........he wasn't running into thugs.......he wasn't living "ghetto" trailerpark.......'tis why Eminem has such a credibility problem today. Nobody buys it when he tries to sell gangsta.....because he knows nothing about it. He didn't grow up gangsta or tough......he started carrying a .9mm pistol to boost his credibility untill everybody found out that he keeps it unloaded after he pulled it on two seperate people and was brought up on charges for both. One of which he was so scared during the altercation and shaking so bad that he actually fumbled the gun and dropped it on the ground. Point being..........it's completely fictional.

Ice Cube........can be a decent comedic actor. Friday is still great and Barbershop is okay (no matter how much they tried to whiten him up in the movie...seriously, look at Straight Out of Compton video then look at Barbershop....they put so much makeup on him to appear lighter that it looks like he's pulling a Michael Jackson....I guess the producers figured the blacker he is the more threatening he looks, which isn't good for a comedy)........also did a great job in Boys in the Hood........

I don't even consider Method Man and Redman........they're just two idiots who'll appear on screen for a pay check......to call them actors would be disrespectful to real actors.

Best actor I think has to go to Tupac Shakur...........His Debut in Juice was amazing. He really put on an awesome performance.........as did everybody else in the film which made it shine........Poetic Justice was a dumb movie but once again, Pac was great even with the mediocre (at best) material given to work with..........his other 4 movies were pretty much more of the same. Mediocre films.....some not so great parts but Pac still rose to the occasion and showed he had talent.

I can't stand his music but the man was a good actor........perhaps if he would have taken his role in Juice and turned it into a full time acting career and not pursued rapping he would still be alive today......and still making good movies, or at worst bad movies better.

*Alison*
He is indeed a "wangsta" (sp?) big grin
Can't rap, can't act....needs to dissapear.

GABRIEL05
Mos Def seems to be a decent actor (I can never tell with acting) and a helluva rapper.

Cinemaddiction
Yeah, I liked Mos Def in The Italian Job remake.

The point of this whole thread was really to see if you guys thought there were any "credible" actors out there.

Cube, Ice T, Tupac, those are all great entertainers. But, I saw "Sticky Fingaz" from ONYX in "Torque", and I damn near wanted to cry.

(BTW Alison, you're really ****in' hot.)

Stormeister
Ice Cube was horrible in torque sad

Evil Dead
gee.......Alison looks like a certain zombie I remember seeing one time in the horror forum.

Stormeister
Whose Alison ?

Willo
I agree that most rappers that go into acting are crap!

Eminem was playing himself in 8 mile, how hard can that be? A lot of you have said Ice Cube is a bad actor. I disagree. I think personally he is not watchable now because he has gone into comedic acting. However his part in Boyz N Hood was outstanding. He could argue the fact he grew up in that area, so he was portraying himself (like eminem in 8 mile), but his perfromance in that film is ten times better than Eminems.

I quite liked ICE T in New Jack City aswell, anyone seen it?

Evil Dead
"Eminem was playing himself in 8 mile, how hard can that be?"

You must have watched a different movie than me. Eminem grew up in the suburbs as a shy nerd......

when I watched 8 mile all I saw was a street wise "homie" trying to make it in the rap game.........

ragesRemorse
rap is nothing more than retards attempting poetry, i really dont believe we need them attempting acting now, we have plenty of bad actors to stomach as it is. So wrap these rappers up and send them out into the real world, where they actually have to work for there god damn money

*Alison*
laughing

thumbup

Stormeister
I love you sig Allison big grin

Eminem wasnt playing himself in the movie or else he would have been called Marshall Mathers in the movie stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.