Darth's Open-mindedness Rant

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Revan
I've been thinking about this whole hip hop vs rock thing recently... I see people all the time who come in here and say "rap is crap" or "I hate rock" without realizing they don't know anything about the genre. I'd just like to say to everybody here, be more open-minded when it comes to music. To be perfectly honest, I used to think all rap was terrible as well, until a couple members here (Hockey, Sam, MF Doom...) told me about the whole underground/mainstream thing and explained that there is a huge difference there. It really bugs me when people go, "I bet this sucks," without really knowing anything about it.

So rock people, don't go dissing all rap based on the largely crappy mainstream stuff that's out there. Try some underground, you might actually like it. Even if you don't, please don't accuse rap of being ignorant or anything like that.

Rap people, same thing. Try listening to Rage Against the Machine, I know several rap people who love Rage. And again, don't go around calling all rock crap or remarking on how much you hate it... Even if you do, the rest of us don't need to hear it.

Also, and this goes for everybody--don't group music into "good" and "bad" based only on genre. "Pop" does not always equal "bad". Nor does rap or rock.

And on a slightly less related note... There is nothing wrong with Marilyn Manson, for the last goddamnn time. roll eyes (sarcastic) He's a damn smart guy, so don't go around TYPING IN ALL CAPS AND YELLING ABOUT HOW HE'S SUCH A TERRIBLE INFLUENCE ON OUR SOCIETY AND HE SHOULD BE CHECKED INTO A MENTAL ASYLUM. You just come across as ignorant when you do that.

Thank you for reading my rant if you have gotten this far. smile

ElectricBugaloo
i hate rock

HockeyHorror
i hate rap

Darth Revan
*smacks forehead*

HockeyHorror
o the irony! THE IRONY!!

laughing out loud

ElectricBugaloo
i wonder how many will believe us?

HockeyHorror
dunno

tabby999
i do...kidding wink

Darth, i agree with most of what you say, but how i dont think using MF Doom as a person to site for trying to show people how rap is a good idea, because he has that same "f*ck you my music is better than yours" attitude your talking about.

Darth Revan
I'm not saying that... What I meant was that he was one of the people on here who recommended a few underground rappers that I could try. That's all.

ElectricBugaloo
*cite

MF D00m
She was referring to me.

Props to Darth Revan. She gave hip-hop a try and ended up enjoying it. I admire that, because most of the people on this board wouldn't have admitted that. They wouldn't even have given it a chance... I myself enjoy all types of music. I love rock. Classic rock more than the new stuff, but the new stuff isn't bad by any means.

Good job Darth big grin

Tptmanno1
Ahem, He.

But yes I agree with DR, I do not like hip-hop/rap. But its not crap. From wht Hocky has posted, it looks very intellegent. Its just my preference. People need to realize that.

MF D00m
embarrasment sorry

m!$hA
u know what darth, i READ all of that smart and thats a long post!!!!
and i agree, im sowwi embarrasment

Darth Revan
I'm very proud of you Misha big grin thumb up

m!$hA
me too! *dances around* ah well anyways, i agree dr!

TrAnCeDuO
is this the result of mudvaynejesseys post or mine?it cant be mine cuz i was talking about eminem alone...not the entire genre of rap.. and i do apologize for jessy...i tried to tell him not to speak general like that but he did it anyway...

Darth Revan
No, it's been going on for a long time. Not related specifically to any one member.

ElectricBugaloo
it's because of my hatred for bluegrass, isn't it?

Darth Revan
hell yes you sick bastard mad

j/k stick out tongue

Tptmanno1
Ahh thats funny stuff

BackFire
Being open-minded sucks ass. Hippies were open minded, and hippies suck.

On a side note, Marylin Mansion is an attention whore, using visual gimmicks to get the attention off of his mundayne and generic rock music. There's a reason he mostly "remakes" songs that have already been out, because his original stuff sucks.

m!$hA
laughing *sees dr is watching* no expression

Tptmanno1
Backfire, By any chance are you Maddox in disguise??

Darth Revan
Yeah really... confused

BackFire
heh, Nope. I just happen to have a similar train of thought.

Tptmanno1
I can tell.

TrAnCeDuO
and sometimes thats a good thing...just please dont review things because he is terrible at it...

Trinity_Matrix
DR, you're awesome. That drives me insane when people say they hate something they know nothing about. Myself, I don't care too much for rap/hiphop, but I don't go around saying "OMG WTF RAP SUCKS!!!!!!111" Several of my friends used to listen to it, and I would sometimes too. I just didn't like it. I just found that I liked rock (like Rage Against the Machine and Marilyn Manson) much better yes

Darth Revan
yes

Exactly. Even if people don't like a genre of music, they don't need to go around talking about how much it sucks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.