Is there such thing as Drinking Responsibly?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Linkalicious
Is there such thing as Drinking Responsibly?

I thought the reason you drank or got drunk was to be irresponsible...confused

snoopy43
Everyone who drinks alcohol at some point drinks thinking that they're getting rid of some stress or blowing off steam. It's the persons sole responsibility to know when they've had enough. Many have tried few have actually accomplished this. It's when you start losing control and start repeating the same kind of destructive pattern that the trouble starts.

theReject
hmm

BackFire
Drinking responsable basically means drinking and not driving.

LilKitty
Of course there is such a thing as drinking responsibly.

I dont get people who only drink to get drunk. the purpose of having a drink is to enjoy it, not too over do it and act like a retard. When you go to a resturant for a meal, or somewhere out generaly you dont drink to be irresponsible, you drink it to enjoy it.

Linkalicious
I disagree....only because that's too narrow of a reason. But the part of your comment you made....i agree with.

There are those people who can't handle their liquor. The ones that stumble around, sweat profusly, slur their words, and throw up in the bathrooms. They aren't drinking responsibly, but they aren't driving either.

As for Lil's comment. That's not really drinking....that's enjoying A drink. I do the same with Mexican food because I always have a cadillac margarita...but that's while going out to eat, that isn't the same as a night at the bar. Or a night at home watching some "footie" or a ball game.

The question is directed at those people who aren't the DD for the night, who have a friend or parent or loved one tell them "drink responsibly" before they go out for the night. I always tell them...."define responsibly" stick out tongue

BackFire
That's why I threw in the word "basically". When the term "drinking responsibly" is used, it's generally reffering to not drinking and driving, or hurting other people when you're druink.

Ushgarak
This isn't even vaguely philosophy... it's not philosophy just because it's an issue.

Meanwhile, unless you rule that all drinking is illegal then logically speaking at some point it is not irresponsible to do so.

Nono
I suppose drinking responsibly is going out getting drunk but not to the point where you become so incapable that you cant get home again.
I'm talking from the point of view of a paramedic who spends 95% of weekend nights taking people to hospital, who really dont need to be there, just because they've drunk too much. In my opinion it is a totally irresponsible waste of health service resourses, especially when people who are genuinely ill/injuried cant get an ambulace because we're busy with time wasters!

Dark Vengeance
yes you can drink responsibly

Jedi Priestess
I'm going to weigh in here with my opinion which has 32 years of experience behind it. I had my first drink at 15 (I'm 43 now) From the ages of 15-24 I couldnt have drank responsibly if someone had paid me to. It was all about partying.....how fast can you get drunk, how much can you drink without puking, who can you drink under the table, how many different drinks have I tired etc etc. on a 3 weekend out of 4 basis. Then I entered my get smashed once a month phase..24-28. Then I kinda just grew out of it. When I was 29 I met and married a man who would become an alcoholic. Oh yes what fun we had....him getting up in the middle of the night and taking a leak on the bedroom floor cause he was too damn drunk to remember where the bathroom was. In closing I think there are many many types of drinking, some responsible some not and to some extent I do believe that this changes with age unless you are like my ex who made a habit of drinking and driving which is never EVER smart.

angiel
beligirent is deifferent from irresponsible. acting up while being drunk is being beligerent. driving while drunk is being irresponsible. and i don't think throwing up is drinking irresponsibly... it merely shows that you rbody has had enough alcohol and if you imbibe more, you'll probably end up passing out.

how bout this for a definition of "drinking responsibly"... enjoying the night while not getting your face punched in for acting stupid then blaming the alcohol and not getting behind the wheel and end up killing a family of six just because you pressed the accelerator instead of te brakes because you were to wasted to react quickly. up-chucks are optional...

ps. i actually think up-chucks are good for you because they expell some amoutn of alcohol out of your body and onto your clothes...

mechmoggy
If I found myself fighting, driving, or generally acting like a dick after drinking; I'd just stop getting drunk.

As it is, drunk mech is a whole lot of fun; so I'll continue drinking in social situations.

And maybe sometimes alone too. embarrasment

LilKitty
No, I disagree.

I pitty the person whos sole reason for going out is to get drunk and act like a dick!
I also pitty a person who cannot have fun with out being hammered, thats pretty pathetic also.

No matter where you go out, to a bar or a club or a resturant or wherever, it matters not, you should enjoy the drink, not just to get drunk. Drunkness was supposed to be something that happens from time to time when you have fun.

Thats like cocain user saying: 'Tonight, im gonna go overdose and hope i dont die, then next week, im going out to overdose again, overdosing is fun''

Linkalicious
Oh I agree there Lil. Actually I agree almost everything people have said past the point of my last post. Including me putting this in the wrong forum because i wasn't paying attention to whether or not i was in GDF or Phil forum.

Anyone that gets drunk just to be a dick...well they go without comment. And actually, i'd like to pitty them...but they aren't worth my pitty.

but do any of you see the point of my question....don't you tend to drink because it makes your worry less about your responsibilities. If you're driving that's fine...if you're driving drunk...that's irresponsible. If you're fighting, you're acting irresponsibly. If you have work early Friday, but you're out late Thursday drinking....are you acting responsibly?

As for being belligerant....well IMO that's irresponsibility in it's highest form. If you can't be responsible for your own actions.....then aren't you being irresponsible?

LilKitty
People seem to be irrisponsible whenever they have the chance erm no matter whats in question.

Guns, alcohol, or any other drugs, driving cars...messed it all spells irresponsibility.

Linkalicious
yes....but generally speaking....being irresponsible is one of the best ways to have a good time.

But i dunno about guns....can't really agree there's ever a time to be irresponsible while handling those...

wuTa
are you sayin coz someone has a drink or owns a gun they are irresponsible?

wuTa
if you can make it to work on time and not have the drinking affect your work than yea...your acting responsibly

Linkalicious
yah....i didn't wanna be that technical. I just kinda threw that one out there because I can't go out drinking late on Thursdays sad

Stupid work at 4:30 am mad

wuTa
bummer....but i;m gonna say there is such a thing as drinking repsonsibly....if i guy to the bar tonight with some bodies and we just shoot the sh*t while having a couple beers without getting blitzed or starting anything than we just drank resposibly...r even if you go to a party and know your gonna get shitfaced but have a designated driver arent you drinkin responsibly?

Linkalicious
you're acting responsibly...because you're giving yourself the best chance to get home alive. But i don't see how getting sh!t faced involves drinking responsibly.

Why do you get sh!tfaced drunk in the 1st place??? To be irresponsible. right? You aren't worrying about obligations, tasks, or chores....you're there to forget about everything outside the party...just to have fun.

Like i said ummmm....2 posts ago. The best way to have a good time generally involves acting irresponsible.
So drinking is usually the 1st step.

wuTa
your being responsible of your drinkin by preventing irrespsonsiblity...that does make sense?..i tried to make it as short as i could....ok mayber theres no such thing for "drinking responsibly" but there is such a thing as "being responsible for drinkin"

§H@Ñ€
i'm 15 right now, but i love to party and drink. i think drinking is something you really shouldn't be all that much responcible for. It's probably one of the things that let's you let go of your responciblities that annoy you. (sry, i have always sucked at spelling. and i didn't start drinking until i was 14)

shaber
Not drinking and driving/operating heavy machinery/doing anything at all that is in any way responsible etc. So not much no. beer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.