Politics...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Revan
Don't worry folks, this is not a political thread.

My question is this: do you think politics and our different views in the political world are separating us from one another, both as a nation, and the entire human race?

I was on another forum earlier, and I was arguing about politics with somebody. As far as that goes, we are polar opposites. Then I realized that the only thing I knew about the person was that I disagreed with their political views. She seems like a nice enough person when I see her posting elsewhere on the forum, but when we meet in a political thread... It's like she has multiple personalities, basically she turns into a b!tch. IMHO this is a sign that our society takes politics waaaay too seriously.

Anywho... What are your opinions on this?

Tptmanno1
I know what you mean and I'm kinda guilty of it too. I turn real cynical when it comes to politics. And I'm much less accepting of ignorance.

This might be because I like politics way to much. Like I'm seriously considering majoring in Political Science. But I also think its a good thing. Arguing is health and it tunes peoples sences, I am more determined when arguing with someone. I research more, and am generaly less lazy.
But Parasanship can be bad if it's not left to the debates. If someone you know is politicly opposite and you know you probably will get into and argument you probably should avoid that subject.
So in conclusion I believe that they ARE separating our country but they dont have to. We can get along and such but we just have to get over our differences.
Ok I'm done ranting.

Darth Revan
I know what you mean. Whenever I talk to people who I know have political views different from my own, I have this evil little voice inside me that tells me not to listen to them... (picture this in a Gollum-like voice) "you don't want to talk to them... they're conservative... they likes Bush..." evil face laughing out loud

But yeah, the occasional debate is healthy, and even enjoyable. Just that I (and a lot of other people) tend to take it too far.

Tptmanno1
laughing out loud
"No no my pressssious, They're evil, they wants to Keep Bushesss."
I like debating with people, its fun!

silent_kisses
Being on opposite sides in politics is not the problem. I think the problem is stubborness. I mean some people are just not willing to admit defeat. That bothers me the most, swallow your pride and admit you're wrong once in a while.

And on a side note, I'm president of my school's debate team smart

Tptmanno1
*CoughDorkCough*

silent_kisses
*cough lots of extracurriculars cough* stick out tongue

BackFire
Politics suck. They're boring and arguing about them serve no purpose. Everyone's beliefs are so strong that they will never admit defeat, no matter how strong an argument you may make.

Plus, it's because of politics that we have fat, ugly and annoying people like Rush Limbaugh blubbering his fat mouth on national radio, filling peoples mind with dipshit terms like "bleeding heart liberal" or "right wing propoghanda". Then these same people use these terms as if it were some ultimate insult. Like if someone calls me a bleeding heart liberal I'm going to shit my pants and check into a psychiatric hospital because of their simple buzzwords. It's because of these reasons that their is no longer a political forum on these boards, because every argument, no matter the topic, was always the same. People were blindly stubborn about their opinion and wouldn't budge. Then people would start insulting other people because they don't agree that bush is clinically retarded and makes up/combines words.

It's tiresome topic to say the least.

Everyone always said I should join the debate team at my school, but I didn't want to. They always debate about things I don't care about, like abortion or womens equality. Like I care if some woman wants to kill her baby or become a fireman despite not being able to pass the same requirements as a man. I also turned down the opportunity because I'm too demeaning and antagonizing when I argue. Plus when those people argue they won't shut up. They give these long-winded retorts, and by the time they're done you have to piss like a race horse and you feel as if your brain turned to mush during their drawn out response, that could simply be interpreted as "yes" or "no" or "I disagree"

WindDancer
Politics is a dirty job......but someone has to do it! thumb up

Politicians don't really bother me. Is their supporters that do. Anyone who blindly supports democrats, republicans, independents, or liberals really get's on my nerves. They are entitled to their views and opinions, but to turn them into the so-called "the truth" is a bit suspicious. If I have an issue with a politician I'll do my own my own research before I assume any conclusions.

Df02
no, religion is the sole thing responsible for the segregations in the world....religion should be banned, almost every war has been started because of religion

Darth Revan
That's not true... At all... You can't say that any one thing is entirely resopnsible for all the violence and segregation in the world today. And to be honest, I can't think of a major war that was started because of religion. The American Revolution was started because we wanted independance... The Civil War was mostly over slavery... WWI was because some politician in an eastern European country got assasinated, his country declared war on another one, and everybody else jumped on the bandwagon... WWII was arguably because of religion, because of the Nazis... Vietnam was because of an election, the 1st Persian Gulf war was because of Saddam and Kuwait, this war was supposed to be about WMD's.

Tptmanno1
True. But the crusades

Darth Revan
Yeah... But still, it's not very accurate to say that almost every war was started because of religion.

Df02
uve listed like 1% of all the wars in the world, ur forgettin all the wars in asia and africa, aswell as the crusades...and there were religious connotations in WW1 WW2 and a few others.

the guy got assasinated for religious reasons that started WW1 i think

Darth Revan
I know, but it's still not fair to say that religion is responsible for all the segregations in the world.

Df02
well, i exxagerate, but you get my point. religion has done far more bad than good for the world

R@ven
What kind of world would we live in without religion ... that is a very horrendous statement you have made.

R@ven
Religion is a scapegoat to blame for war... its always been the tool of leaders to claim that its over religion or some god given right to something but its always been about greed in land and reasources.

Trinity_Matrix
I personally love politics, and I love to debate them (I use to be the president of my school's debate team and won a few tournaments, and if I weren't so set on art I'd probably major in Political Science in college). But does politics split people apart? Of course. So many people are so set with their beliefs that they think if someone thinks something different, they are wrong. And this is what causes problems. I personally will argue my political beliefs to death, but never will I try to force what I think on someone else. One of my best friends is almost my exact opposite when it comes to politics and religion (I'm a liberal and she's conservative, and she's a practicing Christian while I don't follow any religion), yet we love to argue with each other. Why? Because we both know and have accepted that we will never see eye to eye on the same things, and respect each other for what we believe in. Debating with someone with different views from you is a very good way to find out what others think, and is very good at helping understand others. But so many people think that they're right and everyone else is wrong, and that everyone should think the same way they do. Basically it comes down to politics forming a sort of discrimination, which I don't think it should.

fini
omg, this is another gigantuan can of worms .

but politics is a really good idea, that has long gone astray.

Nimfus
its not realy the politics that set people apart but what they saya and promote. its like they set your mind agains someone and you think that you are correct while that might not nesseseraly be the case (sh** cant sepell today) u get what i mean??

Df02
gonna explain why im wrong or just state that i am?
id love to hear how you think the world would change with out religion

Darth Revan
I think the world would be lacking a lot of things.... Some people just need something to believe in to motivate themselves to haul their asses out of bed every day and get out into the world. Religion has its pros and cons, IMO they balance each other out. That being said, I don't think a world without religion would be possible, at least not in our race. It could survive just fine--but it would never develop that way.

Nimfus
Personally i belive religion is just another type of controll
It existed before the goverment and when the goverment came in, many people turned ethiest
i myself am not one but i dont realy belive in any particular religion
and why wouldnt we survive without religion???
we consider that all animals after they die... just die and dont go to haven or are reborn or anithing like that.
Why is it that humans have to be different and atempt to create and belive in something that does not exists???
Arent we animals as well?? werent we created just like themm??

Darth Revan
I never said we wouldn't survive without religion, I said just the opposite. What I meant was that it would be impossible for the human race to have evolved without the emergence of some sort of religion. And I never said we were any different than animals either... I believe that if there is some kind of "afterlife", animals go there too. We're not trying to be "different" from animals, it's just that humans are rather insecure beings and a lot of us need something to believe in. Like I said.

The Omega

Darth Revan
Omega--the American Civil war had a lot of causes... Slavery was both the "official" reason, and a legitimate reason, among others. I think it would be fair to say that it was mainly just due to the growing tension between the northern and southern states--they were polar opposites in a number of ways. There were some issues over the western territories, but a lot of that actually had to do with slavery--which states would be slave states, which wouldn't, etc. There was a "miniature Civil War" in Kansas after it was decided that the slave issue was going to be left up to the people who lived there. What ended up happening was a bunch of people moved there all of a sudden, just so they could vote on the slavery issue, and they ended up attacking each other. What this has to do with the original topic, I don't know. big grin

The Omega

Jerico
What i really hate, with a passion is any religion, culture or politic that imposes its will open you without your consent

For example, you can have all the democracy, buddhism, hip-hop you want, but if you try to impose it upon me that is what severly pisses me off, so im against any politics or religion that attempts to affect you, id have it so you have to go to them to have anything to do with it, unfeasable maybe, but i dont care.

Mr Parker
Yeah exactly,that is why I am no longer friends with a person that I was long time very good friends with because he wont wont admit it when he is wrong and has been proven wrong,no matter what evidence you show him he trys to make something up and say thats not proof or whatever when it clearly is proof.He actually thinks that there are no different laws for politicians than there are for people like us,seriously hes that ignorant.No matter what you show him that proves that presidents have committed crimes many times in the past that we could never get away with,he blatantly ignores it all and says none of its true.He only sees his own point of view and talking wiht him is like talking to a wall as many people have found out.Its like he lives in his own world and does not want to face reality because the real world obviously frightens him too much.

frodo_dude
well politics are rather a very important thing, and it's a "touchy" subject for a lot of people that's why it's not allowed here erm

The Omega
Well... This is not a thread where we discuss politics. It deals with whether or not our our different views in the political world are separating us from one another, both as a nation, and the entire human race?

Darth Revan
yes I know why politics aren't allowed here, I was just making it clear that I didn't want to discuss politics in this thread.

phinney6
All the facts are the same taht people debate over it's how much the facts are worth to people. Like the war, some people supported it and thought that it was worth it, and other didn't. BTW.....A lot of people just ahte bush because its the "hip" thing to do. I mean they know NOTHING about politics, and lead iwth thier hearts, and not their brains,a nd bash Bush for one thing he did, without looking at positive things. And believe propaganda liek Moore. BTW.. I think that more than 900 people dying a year in Detriot is worse than 900 soldier dying to take out an evil man, in 50 years, Iraq will be well off, look at germany after WWII. Also, They say that the more attacks are happening because of Iraq war, WELL WHAT THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT, its a war, it BRINGs out the attacks, are we supposed to just pretend to let saddamn and things go. WMD is only a SMALL part to go to war. Personally I think all presidents are not good, but I support bush., because Kerry flip-flops and I DO NOT THINK WITH MY HEART, I THINK WITH MY BRAIN

phinney6
That is the type of respone you would get from a conservative (what I just wrote), and the opposite of liberal, both are right and wrong, its how they balance out what is important to them. Liberals like peace, and giving money to those who need it,
Conservatives like standing up for themselves, and earning what you get , if we could just mix them a bit

Creechuur
Hmmm...

Politics, and views that oppose your own in general, are necessary for our societies survival. How stagnant would life be if everyone agreed on everything? The very idea is ridiculous. Variety is the spice of life, even when variety means that sometimes the people you agree with aren't in power. Having a choice, and realizing that others have a choice that may not jive with mine is one of the most important aspects of life to me.

Like Tptmanno said, I have a bigger problem with ignorance than with political views that oppose my own. Healthy debate is good, it keeps my synapses firing.

frodo_dude
do u think the political forum will b back??

yerssot
probably not, too delicate

The Omega
Look at what usually happens when a topic crosses into the realm of politics - or just touches it. It's a war out there... :/

yerssot
where is one? I feel like biting tonight eek!

cermiestar
biting who! stick out tongue

yerssot
anyone who talks politics stick out tongue

cermiestar
should i get out of the thread to get out of harms way in that case? :P

yerssot
don't worry, I'll bite over you stick out tongue

cermiestar
why thank you yerss! big grin

yerssot
my pleasure... you're my biting desert stick out tongue

The Omega
Yerssot> You just start discussing Bush/Kerry or the War in Iraq and have an opinion and they'll LINE UP fer ya to bite. yes

yerssot
which thread is it exactly, and I'm on my way big grin

The Omega
Start one... But remember. They won't last long. Or go to "These people are TRAITORS!" It's hilarious and some people take it seriously.

yerssot
I'm on my way! oh ... and you're responsible for my actions now stick out tongue

rawr! wink

The Omega
("Men!"s silently) smile

yerssot
they're not there sad

cermiestar
go to the OTF...i'm sure you'll find plenty to dig your fangs into there stick out tongue

yerssot
they already hate me there... need to expand my horizons... philosophy is up next wink

cermiestar
what about the orli fans? stick out tongue

yerssot
no, they cooled down when their "leader" went away

cermiestar
they were rather frightening at the height of their obsession though...

yerssot
they still are at that height

cermiestar
they are? *looks around scared*

yerssot
yes, they just behave a BIT better now

Sexy Texy
Cermiestar doll!
I haven't seen you around in ages!

*fake H'Wood kiss kiss* winkiss

cermiestar
tex!!! *jumps up and down excitedly* how are you i haven't seen you forever! *huggles*

yerssot
*best tex voice*
oh, cermie, that's like so '90s!

cermiestar
you're jsut jealous cos you want a fake h'wood kiss kiss too don't you yerss! stick out tongue

Sexy Texy
*ignores yers like the paparazzi* schmoll

I've been fab-u-lous Cerm babe! diva
You look gorgeous! winkiss

yerssot
*holds camera*
oh look, isn't that that wanna-be-celeb Tex?

cermiestar
why thank you tex! you're looking pretty good yourself tex! wink

wanna-be-celeb? never! stick out tongue

Sexy Texy
photowhipdivahttp://images.killermovies.com/forums/avatars/animated/at105.gif

Come on Cerm doll-babe!
Let's do lunch at the Savoy! winkiss

Yers can go to McDonalds! stick out tongue

yerssot
my waffle! it's cermie!
*shoots three filmrolls full of cermie*
oh tex, get out of here, you're ruining the shot!

cermiestar
lol you crack me up tex! yes lets do lunch at the savoy and afternoon tea at the ritz? and yerssle! my waffle? stick out tongue tex ruin a shot...he's gracing it stick out tongue

yerssot
tell that to the buyers of our mag, they gut him every time again

Sexy Texy
mad Never speak to me again!

Ugh! schmoll

I'll have my people call your people Cerm dahling!
We'll paint the town red! Everyone will want our numbers!winkiss

Darth Revan
like omigod is that actually the fabulous TEX over there? OMIGODOMIGODOMIGODOMIGOD!!! *faints*

Tptmanno1
laughing out loud

Sexy Texy
photoclapdivaclapphoto

cermiestar
let's paint it pink...it's so much more diva-ish :P

and i see the fan club has arrived stick out tongue

yerssot
as long as you stay out of the pic

cermiestar
yerss you're cruel! :P

yerssot
hey, you sell, he doesn't

Tptmanno1
Her Cerm Its show Biz, When your in, your in and when your out, your Tex!

The Omega
Tpt> Actually... a statement that could fit politics very well laughing

Tptmanno1
Hmm...
When your in, your in and when your out, Your Bush??

The Omega
cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.