Why live if it isn't fun?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tired Hiker
No matter what it comes down to, it's all about having fun. Wars and ice ages alike, they are all part of the cycle that enables us to have moments of fun. You work to eat and provide yourself shelter and transportation of some form, be it a bike or a rocket ship. Then you work and work some more for a while, up to the moment where you can afford to take a vacation or buy a car or a new home on top of that hill you used to stare at as a kid. It's great, isn't it? And you wouldn't have all that if it weren't for massive slaughters of many people. It's sad but true. I cry, cry but only for a moment. robot

What can I do to change this, you might think? Well, I'll tell you. Don't vote for George Bush. Anyone, but him, please. Thanks.

Or, you can just ignore it. Don't watch the news, or listen to the public radio. You can grow your own food on your land or in your home. Ignore everyone but the people around you.

Or, just give up the idea of home and live a life where the clock doesn't matter. The open road or unpaved trail or even the undiscovered hot spring is just enough to cure the soul of an adventurer, and it is the adventurer that we all seek to be becuase it is fun. It's all about having fun. That brings me to the real question, why live if it isn't fun? confused

theReject
MEAN MEAN...PARENTALS

AmS-gUrL
whoa, deep blink

Ushgarak
Why NOT lead it if it isn't fun? You need to establish that fun is the only desirable thing first, which I don't believe for a moment.

m!$hA
it isnt fun coz i have to go to skool...and when im at home im not allowed to do anything i want to yes

finti
why have fun if you cant live

Linkalicious
I can't wait til Bush gets re-elected. It's not that he's such a great President...it's just that all the other candidates are even bigger jack asses.

shellie
i second that

Darth Revan
screw that...

Anyways, Hiker has a good point. I wouldn't go so far as to say we live for fun, because we live... to live... if that makes sense at all. In other words, the most important thing somewhere deep down in our subconscious is to survive.

I was talking to a guy on another forum about this. He had a similar (sort of) perspective on life--too many people take it totally seriously. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was something along the lines of, "You can only take life seriously when you realize that it's not serious."

Dexx
the greater things in life come with hard work and sacrifices. which don't count as fun for me. So yeah....the majority of people live their life with little fun. through soroughs and hard moments....from which you learn to be a better person. You wouldn't appreciate the 'fun' moments without them.

yerssot
why live if it isn't fun? if you don't like it, kill yourself, then you won't complain ever again roll eyes (sarcastic)

Evy_O
I don't think you live to have fun, I'd rephrase it to "you live trying to have as much fun as possible"
well, if you don't have fun at all (and you don't have a specific reason), that's probably not something that'll last forever, so you also live to enjoy the fun moments of life ... sad moments are the ones that lead you to more happy times big grin

LilKitty
I agree Ush!
(oh well, theres first time for everything)

Fun is not the only desirable thing in life. I also dont believe there is only one most important desirable thing.

Linkalicious
Hence why the legal age to vote is 18...not 17. stick out tongue

And it's true that too many people, KMC forums particular, don't enjoy life and have a good time. It's always about, I have school, don't do drugs, don't drink alcohol. BLAH! Save it you stick in the muds. Go run off to college for 6 of the best years of your life so you can rot away in a cubicle for the remainder of your life making $60,000 a year while b!tching the whole time about how you wasted your youth. I'll go trash my body doing extreme sports, drinking, and deprive myself of precious hours of sleep....and then worry about it when i'm old and decrepid.

Now if you don't mind, i'm going to take work off early to go surfing....then I'm going to get drunk with a bunch of my buddies and pick on some highschool kids. Man....life is grand! clap

LilKitty

Linkalicious
Guess we share different points of view then.

I personally don't want to die of old age, i'd rather die doing the things in life that are most fun to me. If sitting at a desk 8 hours a day earning an average salary is your idea of fun....then best wishes on your future. My idea of fun involves going out and doing things like going to Las Vegas, surfing, skating, going to sporting events, getting rowdy and being myself. It's not, about being something that a corporation wants me to be.

Serious Hiker

Serious Hiker
Well, what is desirable? Things that please you? Interest you? Make you happy? Things you crave? So why to you crave them? Because they are fun. smile

Serious Hiker
Yes, to live life at it's fullest, I believe I must try to have as much fun as possible. I agree. smile

Serious Hiker
There's that word desirable again. roll eyes (sarcastic) People desire stuff because it's fun! Whether it's chewing tobacco or killing chickens, it is fun if it brings you joy, or if it satisfies the crave, mind you. Seriously. yes

m!$hA
woah i just realised i TOTALLY missunderstood the title!!! i thought it was 'why life isnt fun' embarrasment whoops!!!

Serious Hiker
Okay, can you be more serious? no expression

m!$hA
sad im sorry!!!!

well...why live if it isn't fun...i say dont!!!! people get so worked up about you breaking a glass or something (well my dad does anyway) when its not gonna affect the rest of your life....its just so stupid!!!! i think its pathetic how people take life too seriously...i mean...WHY live if life isn't fun??? if ur not gonna have a good time, then whats the point??

thats me being serious anyways!!

Serious Hiker
I was kidding when I said to be more serious. stick out tongue It's all part of my new thing. I'm all serious now. shifty

m!$hA
laughing oh ok.....i was like ....aw, dont hate me
stick out tongue ah thats funny....i got tricked!!!

Serious Hiker
And it was all out of fun! eek! See, this is proof that I am right. Why are you on Kmc? Cuz it's fun! big grin

finti
damn Hiker do you use the Ophra piccie just to annoy eek! eek!

finti
and who is the baby?

Serious Hiker
No. Oprah is very serious at what she does. She is the perfect siggie to show my serious side rather than that skeethy Paris Hilton who basically shows my horny side. yes

Serious Hiker
The baby is Summer Alana Lindholm. My neice. happy

finti
shes a doll

LilKitty
Yep, and different people have different ideas of what having fun is. thumb up

I personaly want to be happy, and being happy doesnt = having fun. Being happy could equal doing nothing and enjoying your lifes work, imo.

Ushgarak
Nonsense, pure bilge. There are plenty of things that are very desirable that are not by any means fun. People do not live their life purely for fun, and thank heavens for that, because there would be no society otherwise. People make sacrifices all the time for a greater good that is right, but not necessarily fun. In fact, confusing what is right and what is fun is a very common problem.

So I would say you saying 'people desire stuff because it is fun' is little more than an outright lie.

Life has purpose and meaning WAY beyond simple personal gratificiation- valid pursuit as that is. I want to have fun in my life but that is NOT its only purpose.

LilKitty
That was one sexy speach Ush!

Furious Angel
no...vote for kerry to defeat bush dont split the votemessed

Serious Hiker
I personally am not confused with what is right and what is fun. I make decision's every day for the good of mankind and some of them are not fun. But, if I were to work hard all my life just to benefit everyone else and not have any fun, then I don't think I could go on living. As far as what I'm saying being an 'outright lie', that is just way out of context, for I am not lying. These are my thoughts and feelings and if you are calling me a liar, then that is nonsense and pure bilge.

Serious Hiker
roll eyes (sarcastic)

R@ven
You live for your children to have a chance at fun... and for thier children to have a chance at fun... when you see thier happinese its all worth it.

Tied Hiker
I agree. thumb up

Evy_O
why should you need a reason to live? confused

Serious Hiker
Maybe to find comfort and happiness?

Dexx
you're saying that you need a reason to live in order to find comfort and happiness. that is more than arguable.
maybe you don't need a reason to live, you just do, because that's the nature of thigns. or maybe there is a reason....but far from being a chubby happy and comforted being smile.

Serious Hiker
I never said chubby and I also said 'maybe'. And, no.

Dexx
no what?

Jedi Priestess
I think alot of people live life because wanting to enjoy it and to be happy. Lets face it, unless you are in the very small percentage of people who's entire life has been one of total contentment, life is a *****. I mean really it can be one endless struggle just to live the damn thing. But along the way there are moments that make you want to keep on living it. The birth of a child, the first feelings of love, etc. etc. But it is our lives that make us the people we are. It's the bad times that make us stronger to face even more despair I think. And I honestly think that the hope that the good times will roll back around during times of despair, keep alot of people going in this world. The purpose of life is not to have fun but to experience life. All the ups and downs, good times and bad. Because in the end thats' all life is, an ever changing set of conditions, situations, emotions and people. smile

LilKitty
Ok, I said this before, but i will say it again.

The very basic reason we live is so that we can die, and others can live and die so that others can do the same...just like any other animal in the animal kingdom.

What would happen if everyone that didnt have fun, killed themselfs, thats so rediculous, we would have been extinct thousands and thousands of years ago.

We live so that others can live. Its how we use that time in the process of continuing our spicies that matters.

Jedi Priestess
I kinda like that Kitty

BingaBonga
If anyone believes that life is all about fun then wake up. I believe that God put us one this Earth to live and make a difference in the world even if it is small. He didn't put us on this Earth to waste away our life or commit suicide. Sometimes, you have to give up the fun things to do the right things. Do you know what I mean?

Serious Hiker
I'm not sure if I do know what you mean. I'm not sure if God exists, first of all. If he does, I'm not sure he's a 'he'. I don't consider 'fun' as wasting away our lives and anyone who tells someone to wake up and then preaches about God may want to take their own advice. All I know is that people who work all their lives to make a difference want to retire before they die so they can relax and have a little fun. Maybe the word 'fun' is a bit too cheap, but when it's all said and done, don't you just want to be happy? I do. I want to be happy because it's fun.

BingaBonga
By wasting away our lives I mean doing nothing all day. I definatley think that we should have fun in ou life, but not constantly.

Serious Hiker
I agree, but I also think life would really suck if there was no fun at all. What would the purpose be then?

finti
if that is so this so called god failed miserable

ragesRemorse
We are here and thats all there is to it. If you spend your life wandering why you are here, you may gain new levels of enlightenment, but you will miss out on your own life. You can do whatever you want with your life. I believe in God, i believe God gave life because he could, through trial and error, he learned that the key to life is freedom of choice. So he gave us life and choice and we all live our lives in the choices we choose. Many of us lose out on deciding what choices God would want us to make, when he already gave us the answer, choose at your own free will. follow your heart and will and you will find your life ,good or bad has been a fullfilled existence, an existence you created for yourself

Besides if you knew why you were here, where would the life be? Isnt the mystery of what tomorrow brings life?

silver_tears
Why have fun if it will cost you your life erm

I mean sure we all want the little things in life, but I don't think having fun is most important no

liam k
it's the small things in life that matter

Jackie Malfoy
Mean stepfather.jm

Sicky666
There is only one line for this:
"Do what Thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"
Your will has an ultimate goal and if it will work this out relies on you, for you first have to recognize yourself as you am, you have to find what the will wants and as long you don't you live on till you do or you die and try it next time...

debbiejo
You can make most things fun or enjoyable, if you look at it differently.

It's finding satisfaction in the small things in life that makes it worth living anyhow.

Filth
I ask my self this question everyday no expression

Clovie
to annoy others, isn't it a great reason? happy

Filth
"I live only to spite those who hate me"

ska57
I agree with BingaBonga on this one. Our pruposes are to serve and worship God and to bring others to Him so they might be saved from eternal suffering.

You say it isn't 'fun'? I consider surrendering to Christ the best thing that has and ever will happen in my life, being happy or having fun doesn't fulfill my purpose, my purpose is to live for Him and to share Him with you. Being a christian isn't like being a slave, I have never met another christian who ever regreted becoming one.

Finding Christ fills you with peace beyond understanding, and I know I can always run to Him when life is too much to bear.

I guarantee you will never find true peace and joy with out God.

Filth
I reallyn disagree with ska57, you can run to your "God" but he wont save you from the oncomming destruction.

SlipknoT
Mwahahahahah evil

Filth
"destruction to end all"

SlipknoT
Ha...Ha...Ha! evil

BlackC@t
Sometimes I wonder why the world has passed me by...

BlackC@t
Originally posted by ska57
I agree with BingaBonga on this one. Our pruposes are to serve and worship God and to bring others to Him so they might be saved from eternal suffering.

That is such a horrible, horrible thing to say.

Tell me this, do you christians like to boss others around, tell them how to live thier lives, and threaten them by telling them they will suffer for ever if they do not find God?

Seriously, I'm so sick of it.

Why can't you christians just accept the fact that we DON'T want to be christian!

Show some tolerance and let us have our own beliefs!
Or do you guys think that we all need to think the same way?

That really isn't being true to yourself.

Alpha Centauri
Life isn't meant to be fun. Fun is a privilege.

-AC

Lana
Originally posted by ska57

You say it isn't 'fun'? I consider surrendering to Christ the best thing that has and ever will happen in my life, being happy or having fun doesn't fulfill my purpose, my purpose is to live for Him and to share Him with you. Being a christian isn't like being a slave, I have never met another christian who ever regreted becoming one.

Finding Christ fills you with peace beyond understanding, and I know I can always run to Him when life is too much to bear.

I guarantee you will never find true peace and joy with out God.

That's funny, since turning away from religion and becoming atheist I've been a lot more peaceful than before...maybe it's because I don't have to live up to some silly expectations to impress something that doesn't exist.

Life isn't always fun, that's life. It has it's ups and downs.

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by Filth
"I live only to spite those who hate me"

Me too.JM smile

speiderman
hi jackie.

peterKSL
I live only to acquire more knowledge... at this point...

The Inkeeper
I live because.....well i didnt choose to live did i?

Im living with it. Better live without knowing why than.....just die.

The Tired Hiker
There are too many good flavors to taste.

Clovie
"I live only to spite those who hate me" okay..where is it from? ninja

leonheartmm
life is not a bed of roses

pr1983
Originally posted by BlackC@t

Tell me this, do you christians like to boss others around, tell them how to live thier lives, and threaten them by telling them they will suffer for ever if they do not find God?

Seriously, I'm so sick of it.

Why can't you christians just accept the fact that we DON'T want to be christian!

Show some tolerance and let us have our own beliefs!
Or do you guys think that we all need to think the same way?

That really isn't being true to yourself.

Can you please refrain from the "you christians" comments? Some of us aren't complete w*nkers...

And i agree with AC, if you want to have fun you have to earn it...

leonheartmm

debbiejo
Originally posted by leonheartmm

Is this peat and repeat??

Life is what you make it and nothing more...We are all responsible for the kind of lives we have...Quit waiting for someone else to make it better..The power is all yours..If you don't like it..do something about it.
Take some responsibility for yourself and quit blaming others. mad

leonheartmm
im blamin no 1

debbiejo
my only comment for u was the peat and repeat joke. big grin

I know you are not blaming anyone.

ska57
I reallyn disagree with ska57, you can run to your "God" but he wont save you from the oncomming destruction.

I may die physically, but the battle's already won! It doesn't matter what happens to me on earth, I'll spend eternity with my loving Savior!

Originally posted by BlackC@t

Horrible thing to say? I want you to know the joy and peace I found in Christ Jesus, and I want as many people as possible to be in heaven with Him.

Telling you you need Christ isn't exactly telling you how to live, you can be a christian and live any christian-like lifestyle you want, I actually do care what happens to people after they die. And I'm sorry if I bossed you around, I'm just telling you what our purposes are and how peaceful I felt when I first became a christian. I'm also sorry if me saying 'you will be in eternal suffering when you die if you do not find God' is a threat, all I'm saying is the truth. If I said "if you don't do your homework you might get detention," would you consider me threatening you?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.