Truth Commercials

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire
These things are quickly becomming my most hated commercials on the planet, except for those god damn Payless Shoes commercials, starring that guy, Star Jones.

Cigarettes are dangerous, we get it. Now shut up and find a new cause. Don't fill my TV time with self righteous, pretentious claims that demonize the cigarette companites. They always show these "victims" of these multimillion dollar companies, dying from cancer caused by smoking, as if she was forced to pick up that cigarette and continue sucking smoke. As if she couldn't get a Nicoteen patch from Kmart and stoped smoking.

I'm sick of them showing these dumbass old people as "victims". They weren't victims, they were just stupid. And I refuse to feel bad for someone because their own stupidity. They smoked for 40 years, oh, surprise surprise, they have lung cancer, who the hell saw that coming?

These commercials are always done by these damn new age hippies, who twist the truth to their favor, and make these alligations against the cigarette companies, like they're all evil monsters forcing cigarettes down everyones throat. Wake up you assholes, they put warning labels on every pack of cigarettes, they've made it known to everyone that they are dangerous, they keep them out of the reach of children, and these stupid, shithead hippies keep giving them shit. Leave them alone, don't you realize you're doing the exact same thing you're accusing them of doing? You're stuffing your bullshit agenda down everyones throat, using stupid manicans to symbolize dead people on the street. Wow, that's deep. I'm sure everyone who see's these commercials will stop smoking, and I'm sure everyone who was considering smoking will now lose interest because you hire some actor to play the part of an evil corporate cigarette maker, who's sole concern is apparantly killing as many children as possible while cackling in an evil manner. I'm sure that's exactly what they want to do.

The fact is, everyone knows smoking is dangerous, and many many people still choose to do it. What the hell do these douchebags care if people knowingly choose to do something harmfull to their bodies. Who cares? These are probably the same people who are blaming Mcdonalds for fat people. No, it's the fat people who are to blame, they go in and ask for a super size order of fries, all Mcdonalds is doing is giving them what they want. And that's all the Cigarette companies are doing too.

I hope everyone who ever participated in a Truth commercial dies of second hand smoke.

Dr. Strangelove
There needs to be a thread of hated commercials. It would take me days to think of all the commercials I hate although Truth commercials have never really annoyed me for some reason.

Serious Hiker
He said "douchebags". laughing Ooops, sorry. *becomes more serious* confused

Corran
Can I get an Amen brothers.

Dexx
i'm all with you bf...but the fact is....every country needs programs of these sort..whether some like them or not. and what's weird is that they work, just like any other comercial. stats-wise at least. even a little influence, and they've achieved their purpose.

cermiestar
the only one of these ads which gets me is the girl who's dad had to have a lung removed and she's really upset and she's talking about it........it makes me cry sad

Agent Elrond
Damn Hippies! Kill 'em all!

The Crazytown(world?) sub-commercials are also bad. They're part of Truth. Smoking kills. We know. Move on.

Linkalicious
All I'm going to say is...

Last time i was stoned, i never thought to point a gun at my own face, and I've never decided to take off out of the drive thru at 60 mph so i could hit a little kid.

These commericals are extremely over dramatized and their message fails to reach me. Smoke on smokers!

Jedi Priestess
I agree with Backfire.......and I have to add it torques me when those people had the balls to sue the tobacco makers..........HELLO you made the decision to smoke YOU pay the price. And for the record I AM a smoker. stick out tongue

Dexx
ok, true...however....companies tend to HIDE what they actually put in those cigarettes. that's why they get sued.

and besides..those comercials are adressed to the average folk. You chaps seem to have overgrown brains stick out tongue....and with a little thread herd mentality (all rights reserved to the term smile ), you should just ignore them

BackFire
I can't ignore them. I'm trying to watch a TV show and they pop on like 4 times an hour on some shows. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't care if they were just on every other day or so. But these things are almost constant. Not to mention overly stupid.

shaber
Adverts are always pretty bad, but an (hypothetical) cutting edge truth commercial would be useful.

Agent Elrond
could be worse. could be on every day, every commerical break

BackFire
they pretty much are.

Agent Elrond
nevermind then.
some of them are just over the top. The more they try to emotion impact u, the worse they are

mechmoggy
You seem a little cranky BF, has your missus cut the supply of lady-love? stick out tongue

Tee hee, you know those black and white "SMOKING KILLS" labels they plaster all over ciggy packets? Well some genius is making identically sized stickers to put over them with slogans such as "SMOKING IS COOL" on them.

Capitalism at its best people. big grin

BackFire
Well, my missus is out of town for a while, so yes, I haven't been getting any lady love.

But these commercials have bothered me for a while now. Even when I am getting some, they annoy the piss out of me.

Linkalicious
when masterbation's lost it's fun.....you're f*ckin lazy! rock

BackFire
It hasn't lost it's fun, I'd just prefer a hot chick doing it rather then me.

Linkalicious
sorry...Green Day moment after lunch. sad

Forcizzle
I disagree, those commercials may be showing people that are victims of cancer, but they are showing them so that you smoker will get it through your thick heads that you shouldn't smoke, that's the only thing that these commercials are trying to get through.

Also if cigarette companies care about peoples health, then they would jsut stop selling cigarettes altogether, and before you ask me why mcdonalds doesn't do the samething, let me tell you that mcdonalds is food, fast food, which means people have to eat, people don't have to smoke. Get it.

When people smoke and watch these commercials it is the addiction along with ignorance and stubborness that keeps them from listening to the words of that commercial.

Linkalicious
I'm thinking it's the ridiculous way that they try to get the message across that makes people not want to quit smoking.

It's 2004....if you're a smoker, and it's news to you that cigarette's kill you....then you really need to get out from under the rock and see more of the world.

I think it does a pretty good job keeping kids from smoking, but those people who chose to smoke aren't going to quit because of some silly ass comercial. They either need the patch, professional help, or they need to have enough will power to kick it for themselves.

Those "just tell your girlfriend you forgot about the prom because you got high with your friends" comercial is stupidity at it's finest. You'd have to smoke yourself retarded to forget responsibilities like looking after kids and going to the prom. If pot heads avoid anything because of their addiciton, it's probably the gym.

BackFire
First of all, I don't smoke. Never have, never will. However, these commercials aren't just saying "smoking is bad, you shouldn't smoke, it's bad for you" ect, they are using cheap scare tactics to try to get their overused and already well known point across. Everyone who smokes knows it's bad for them, every single person. If they don't know, then they're extremely stupid and deserve to die. What these commercials do, is demonize the people at the cigarette companies, making them seem like bigger tyrants then hitler. I'm willing to bet that they aren't. I'm quite sure that their board meetings don't consist of them cackling in an evil manner because their customers are dying. I'm sure most of them are decent people, who are just giving their customers what they want.

As far as your statement about cigarette companies and Mcdonalds, it's simply flawed. Cigarette companies do everything in their power to make it known that cigarettes are harmful, they put warning labels on their products, they sponser commercials that tell the public that cigarettes are deadly, they do everything they can. Yet people still smoke, so it's naive and unfair to blaim the cigarette companies for something that their customers choose to do willingly. As far as Mcdonalds go, yes people need to eat, but people don't need to eat mcdonalds, or any fast food at all. That's just an option that they are giving people, just like the cigarette companies are giving people the option to smoke if they want to. If cigarette companies should give up selling cigarettes because it's unhealthy, then every fast food chain should do the same.

The bottom line is this, everyone who smokes knows it's dangerous, just as everyone who eats fast food knows it's dangerous. It's a choice they willingly make, and they should be allowed to make said choice as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

Also, these pretentious commercials make some very ignorant and bullshit insinuations. They act as though if you have one cigarette, you will get cancer. They act like if you smoke a bit here and there, you WILL die from lung cancer at a young age, ect ect. However, these are both untrue. In fact, if you smoke for less then 20 years, there is very little harm done to you're body, and what harm there is can be easily fixed after you give up smoking. Also, you never see young people dying from cigarette caused lung cancer, it's always these old, out of shape people who if they werent' dying of lung cancer, would probably be dying of something else.

It's just nonsense, and these commercials are annoying as hell to watch, along with being simply untrue.

Forcizzle
I see what your saying, but it seems like the scare tactic is the only method left to get people to stop smoking, besides we, in america haven't gotten so lazy that if fast food joints were taken out of americe there would be the biggest riot of the century, and it's because we too used to a quick bite to eat. Other than that, what would happen if cigarette companies just stopped selling all together?

Our econmoy would probably be hit hard

BackFire
Well, obviously these scare tactics don't work, people are still smoking, and no matter what, will probably continue to do so. And why not? If they want to it's no ones business to tell them not to, or preach at them about the dangers of smoking, as if they haven't heard it 100 times.

Forcizzle
well i don't see they would smoke in the first place, it only takes one time to get addicted. And if they don't get addicted that first time then good for them, besides smoke smells bad sick

BackFire
Yep, but people want to smoke, I don't know why, but they do.

mechmoggy
I only smoke when I'm on fire.

shaber
Everyone knows everything about smoking now though. The truth commercials should be more innovative.

finti
steaming mechie

Forcizzle
really? roll eyes (sarcastic)

angiel
harassing me about my smoking may be hazardous to YOUR health...

Dexx
actually..you'd be surprised of what's in those cigarettes. that msot people don't know about. not that you learn about those from truth comercials...but...

mechmoggy
I like a nice fat cigar at new years. smokin'

ragesRemorse
i dont mind these commercials. I mean for years ciggarettes have used there own god damn annoying ploys to endorce smoking. Tobaco companies reach out to children that is a fact. They use merchandise, ad tricks to tempt people to smoke or keep smoking. So what is so bad if someone tries to tell kids the truth about smoking. Yeah they all know it's bad because there told so. they tell you it causes lung cancer and show you pictures of some black lungs. Well peer pressure is more powerfull than that. These commercials are facts.

I dont understand how they twist the truth in there favor. It is just people giving you a deeper look into the story, facts many young teens dont know. I think tobaco commercials and ad campaigns are more annoying than the truth commercials. One fact i am surprised they havent pointed out is that tobaco companies are allowed to put anything in there tobaxo mixtures as long as they are not ilegal narcotics, this includes stric nine which some cigarettes include. yeah tobaco companies really care about the people. even if it is peoples choice that give them cancer, this shit shouldnt be allowed

Elektra_lover
SMOKE TILL U CHOKE ON UR TOUNG AND DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silver_tears
I personally am all for the commercials, granted we don't get them here as much, but I don't mind them at all. And anyways they serve a worthwhile purpose yes

It's those beer commercials we have to eliminate stick out tongue

ragesRemorse
irnically after watching a beer commercial i crave a ciggarette.

FBI_AgentMulder
These things are quickly becomming my most hated commercials on the planet, except for those god damn Payless Shoes commercials, starring that guy, Star Jones.

Well, that is where you are wrong. The first rule of public affairs is that there is no reality, only perception. With the unreasonable, unfair, deceptive, etc marketing that the Cigarette company contributes to the media, do you honestly believe that they have the public interest at heart? laughing laughing We have to understand that we live in a society full of followers and people who are always "copying" the things they look up to. Why is it that it is always someone attractive smoking a cigarette? Because, ultimately, the persont thinks to him or herself that maybe I can look attractive like her/him. What the Cigarette Company sounds like are conspirators. Is not someone guilty of a crime when proven beyond a reasonable doubt? Well, these cigarettes, manufactured by the cigarette company, are a big health risk to all people. ESPECIALLY, the ones WHO DO NOT smoke. I am sure you know of second-hand smoking. The Tobacco Companies, as well as their public relations agents, lawyers and industry "fronts," have known for more than forty years that their tobacco productscontained large amounts of nicotine - a highly addictive substance - as well as numerous carcinogens and other harmful elements. Why keep on with the production of those things? I guess 80 billion dollars a year sounds tempting...
Tobacco products are not only addictive, they are abnormally dangerous and unfit for human use. Tobacco products kill, maim, and injure virtually all who use them. The Tobacco Companies know this, but continue to deny the existence of adverse health effects in their public statements. Why? MONEY MONEY MONEY

I agree to a certain extent as well. Personal Responsibility does have to be considered, yet the cigarette companies are getting away like nothing saying that its not our fault for the use of cigarettes! YEAH RIGHT!!! They need the people to get their cigarettes..its thats simple.

Now. Yes, I admit I am a very liberal person. Yet, attacking the person is not going to do anything to resolve such controversial issue. Basically, you are generalizing, stereotyping, and accussing without any foundation of evidence to back up your allegations about their "agenda". What motive? Can you prove such intent?

The fact is, everyone knows smoking is dangerous, and many many people still choose to do it. What the hell do these douchebags care if people knowingly choose to do something harmfull to their bodies. Who cares? These are probably the same people who are blaming Mcdonalds for fat people. No, it's the fat people who are to blame, they go in and ask for a super size order of fries, all Mcdonalds is doing is giving them what they want. And that's all the Cigarette companies are doing too.

Now, you see...thats not nice either...

I respect your opinions though.

FBI_AgentMulder
Thank you.

ragesRemorse
you know even if i diddnt agree with what these commercials are tying to accomplish, i would stil like these commercials because there not selling anything

LindsIsSexyK
I dunno, the second scenario could have a bit of truth to it (except for the hitting the kid part) because I don't know about you, but when I'm stoned, I'm definitely in a hurry to get to them brownies yes

And as far as those truth commercials, I don't have cable anymore so I've been blessed in the fact that I no longer have to see them, but they actually make me want to go out and smoke more. I think it's just that rebellious part of me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.