who started Nu-Metal?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tabby999
who do you guys think did? i think it was a culmination of many different influences, like Faith No More, Korn, Fear Factory and what not. not to mention some of the hip hop/rapper of the time, they deffinatly helped add different dimensions of the music

Darth Revan
I think Korn was a big part of it... I don't know about other people, but when I think of nu metal, I think of the way Korn sounds.

tabby999
i think that burtons vocals from Fear Factory had a big impact, how many nu metal bands rely on the "gruff acidic (they think it is, dont burst their bubbles) vocals then harmony" style of singing, linkin park, papa roach, whoever you want to name. this style of vocals became most obvious in Demanufacture, that came out a little before the numetal exsplosion in the 90s

finti
I would say Korn and Rage Against the Machine, but it very much is influenced by the Faith No More sound.

Df02
me......

KoRn started it
Deftones perfected it

Deathblow
Faith No More + Rage laid the foundations, Nirvana + Nine Inch Nails added their own elements, and Korn took it one step further and created the genre, and as Df said, Deftones perfected it.

Df02
i wouldnt agree with that, all those bands had their own individual styles and didnt necesarilly (yea i know i misspelled that) aid the creation of the genre, KoRn just took influences from all those bands to form nu-metal

EDIT: what i mean is they werent actively a part of the creation of nu metal

Deathblow
Well none of them were actively involved, but if wasn't for the specific elements they had Korn and nu metal wouldn't exist. There were tons of bands in the late 80's/early 90's who Korn stole ideas off. FNM, RATM, NIN and Nirvana are just the main four. Soungarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers...the list goes on.

Df02
i know, sorry i agree with what u were saying....initially i thought u meant they were actively involved

finti
Well the guru of nu-metal is producer Ross Robinson

Deathblow
sadly he also gave us crap like Limp Bizkit.

Aini
...I still try to figure out what exactly nu-metal is.... wacko

finti
so do most peoplebig grin

ElectricBugaloo
RHCP isn't nu metal...

Df02
we didnt say they were
we said they influenced the creation of nu metal

SlipknoT
Korn NIN MM and RATM were big contributers

loserib
nu-metal is
1-bands that have djs and hip-hop elemets
2-bands that have no guitar solos and really simple song structures
3.or is band that steals all their vocal paterns from old 80s nu wave
at least thats the way i looked at it well the last one was just a jab at korn

Darth Revan
I don't consider Manson nu-metal for some reason...

LilKitty
I would have to say KoRn. They were the starting point or all todays ''nu-metal''

BackFire
Korn influenced all the nu-metal bands today, Fait No More influenced Korn, so I have to say Faith No More.

Df02
Manson isnt nu metal

PunisherFan33
nu metal is trapt

Darth Revan
No they're not...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.