"Why do some people discriminate against people who use their imagination?"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Smodden
some times people make me mad...they don't understand...how people can love fantasy, and other things...

Just except the other person's personality...their interests. You don't have to be un-cool to do what you truly like...respect the other people...

I just want to know...why some people don't get that I love LOTR...and that I like to READ! is that a crime?...

I wrote a poem....

Get past yourself
___you big fool
___don't you know
___they think your cool?

___if its true,
___then why do I,
___Hate that
___awfully bad disguise?

___You, yourself,
___may have some fun
___but is it worth it
___when its done?

___For my own eyes
___All I see
___is your own
___popularity

___Does it hurt you
___when you mock,
___or follow the
___so called preppie flock?

___Do you wish
___for the life before?
___in the secret
___behind locked door?

___You have power
___money and trends,
___but do you have
___any friends?

___Take off your shades
___and see thru this:
___All the things
___that you miss...

___And as you watch
___uneasily
___and fix your hair
___in secrecy

___As you tie
___your 'NIKE' shoes
___and call your girls
___and all your 'dudes'

___Is there something
___missing there,
___hidden behind
___some big glare?

___Watch yourself
___choose words with care
___the 'coolies' will not
___always be

You have power
___money and trends,
___but do you have
___any friends?

__Sometimes
___all you need is heat
___to melt your cool
___and find your beat

___And once you find it
___don't let go
___cause being cool
___is really cold.

btw...I'm not dissin' on cool people...because WE ourselves our cool...I'm dissin on the ppeople who dis on other cause their intersts are dif and dis others for their own personal gain.

I'm dead...

Discos
yep many discussions of this

I take it you arer talking about the popular people mpocking you for enjoying lord of the rings, such people like Jocks and cheerleaders and stuff erm

sometimes people get right on my ****, (not being sexest) but it is always the girls in my school who hate these fantasy stuff......"if its not a chick flick it aint cool"

Discos - SOD off

Exa
Complete opposite at my old school, everyone loved the films and most had read the books, suppose american schools are bigger though.

ladygrim
i get wat ur saying but its really crap wen friends and family take the p.ss for like Lotr and Hp .. i get it all the time 'you should know better than wasting your money on things like that your nearly 18 ' and all i did was buy the dvd of ttt ....

OrliObsessor1
I have a true love for the Lord of the rings movies, and they've inspired me in more than one way. Sometimes people underestimate me because of my obsession and also when i see someone making fun of one of the characters is p!$$e$ me off severly.

TIGERNIGHT2002
first off smoden you should try to get that poem published you would be a great wrier or poet.
i'm dead... you would also be a great writer you should also try to get that published.

and i totaly understand everything all of you said.
see in my school the only reason all of the kids know about the fantasy stories by j.r.r. tolkien and j.k rowling is because of the movies. and the only rason they see the movies is because the actors are cute.they dont even know anything about the actors either.and the same thing with stephen king he is a great writer but if secret window wouldnt have come out on movie then half the kids wouldnt have known who he is.its actually really sad.
our middle school does this thing called the litterary maagizign. and this one girl wrote this really depressing thing in it. and almost every kid in the school byes it so they all saw it. she titled it "the truth about fantasy..." when i read that i thought it was going to be good boy was i wrong.she made fun of anyone who likes fantasy or even in the least bit believes in it.she disded every geat fantasy author without even using there names. i was horrible. i wrote her a letter and gave it to her in school telling her that what she wrote was kinda rude and we dont want to her stuff tlike that because alot of people like fantasy. and that what she wrote was insulting religion too.she wasnt to happy with me. i also wrote in it how would you feel if someones little sister or brother picked it up and read that and they stopped believing in santa or even god.

Discos
everyone thinks the films are fake and no one EVER reads in my school

its a shame

ladygrim
i dont know of many people who have read them apart from myself and one or two others .. i bet some people dont even realuise that the movies have been adapted from the books

Agent Elrond
ouch, I would move. It's hard to hate LotR, there's so much like about it. I haven't ran into trouble being a fan, it's just my parents get a little annoyed when I watch RotK every night, but that's a different story stick out tongue

ladygrim
i do think it is more of familys ith a problem bout it than outsiders but its probaly differnt in other places

Nazgul lord
whats all this got to do with the lord of the rings? What the f**k? confused What the f**k?

Tassie~Cyanide~
Same with me.. alot of them talk about the movie, and Orlando Bloom, and whatever.. I only know of three people who've read the books, and really love LotR.

fini
ooo, ooo , Tassie u never met me, otherwise u would say u know 4.
oh well.....

the answer to the threads question now
I think they're jealous and swim in a pool of ignorance. since they cannot understand how we can live in or heads. Its a great place to be, imagination can take u further than any movie( although movies are catching up though).

Vim
i understand where everyone is coming from, and i also understand why people who do not like things of fantasy and imagination is because when they were young, they were told that only real things will get you anywhere, anything that comes from your imagination will be nothing more than daydreams, and will not help you in real life. My imagination has helped me in the writing of my Clashing Forces trilogy, the first part is out today, but i'm not as excited because its not really out anywhere! LOL, that's another story, but imagination is an extremely powerful thing, its where the ideas for just about everything comes from. Movies, video games, songs, music, books, comic books, anime, RPGs, hell some people had to jcreate or make up football, basketball, soccer, and all the other sports in the world, they didn't just pop up with the instructions and rules all by themselves!

Smodden
hey I'd love to read your trilogy!
pm me the details...
I agree with you perfectly...

§pearhead
Because imagination won't get you anywhere, people think it's pointless sad

silver_tears
Hey I'm popular at my school and I love it love
I love fantasy, sci-fi, and etc.
I love reading, poetry, etc. and people at my school get it laughing out loud

Plus here LotR is considered very cool laughing out loud
And I hate chick flicks no expression well most, some are good embarrasment

silver_tears
Ahem imagination does alot yes
Where would we be without it, technology is fueled by imagination stick out tongue
So are things like literature, and art love

§pearhead
most people forget it uses though sad I agree, mind you, but I know plenty of people who deem it close to useless because they don't think it benefits them, or because imagination sometimes involves a bit of thinking messed

silver_tears
Those are the ones who end up serving burgers at McDonald's yes

§pearhead
but at least they're "cool" doing it...I can picture 80% of my hockey team flipping burgers yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.