Flash Gordon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sir Elmo
Last night i watched a movie Flash the kinda old kinda new vesion with Queen. I just have to tell people to watch and tell me are they going to make another one because at the end they made a THE END? Its a bitcorny but is u like science fiction or queen u should really watch it or if u have seen it please tell me what u think of it and the END thanks please post

roundisfunny
"Flash Gordon" (1980) is a favorite from my childhood, since it came right in the midst of the "Star Wars" trilogy and its furor. Just as Tarantino paid tribute to the cheesiness of some of his favorite chop-sockey flicks, I believe the filmmakers here wanted to hearken back to the old Flash Gordon serials, which went all the way back to the 30's.

Back then, EVERYTHING space-related had lightning bolts and glitter fastened to it. Space travel in the 30's was still non-existent (the first satellite wasn't launched until the 50's), so sci-fi/fantasy fiction were at their most fanciful.

As for the performances, I loved Von Sydow as Ming, and Maximillian Schell was good as Dr. Zarkov. I also liked the accent from Peter Wyngarde (Klytus), though I haven't seen or heard anything from him before or since (I understand he's had a successful career in English movies and TV, though).

Anyway, I imagine they put in the "The End?" bit because the bottom line in Hollywood is ALWAYS money, and they wanted to hint that there COULD easily be a sequel (perhaps to attract potential investors right out of the viewing audience). I'm pretty sure all of the principal cast are still alive, though; maybe they SHOULD do a sequel, in which Flash and Dale's son (Christian Bale) and/or daughter (Angelina Jolie) team up against Ming's son Ming Junior (Peter Stormare).

Sir Elmo
Hmm very interesting *thinking* *could make millions* well anyway yeh i love this movie and they should make a new one if they could come up with a good story

Sir Elmo
but u have a good point the dstory was resolved

Willo
Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun FLASH!!! AAAAHH AAAAAHHH Der Der Saviour of the Universe! DerDer DerDer Der Der Dun Dun Dun Dun........!!!

Corlindel
FLASH!!! AHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAH!!! big grin

I like Ming's dead. And cool

And Ornella Muti as princess Auradroolio That foxie sexie italian beauty droolio

It was nice to see the hawkmen too smile . But I still prefer to see the original tv series from the thirties and a comic series produced in the seventies wich was very closer to the original Alex Raymond script.

The great Ming The Merciless and that silly hero named Flash.

BoyScoutKevin
While there are no plans for a sequel, there is, as far as I know, going to be a remake w/ Stephen Sommers as director.

I imagine this time around, the special effects will be better, but how are they going to top the "cheese" factor of the old one, and a cast that, besides those named, included Melody Anderson, Timothy Dalton, and Brian Blessed. And one of the best film scores, by Queen, that i have ever heard in a film.

While it was not a movie I enjoyed, when it was first released to the theaters, it is a movie that I have come to appreciate more over the years.

ladygrim
crap

Zerosparx
LOL yeah CRAP...Stephen Sommers...not the best director

WindDancer
Flash Gordon is a cool Sci-fi character. But unfortunally the movie was TOO cheesy! Don't be suprise if some producer wants to make a re-make. Hopefully some good acting and NO cheesiness.

Willo
Yeah it is crap, but that is what makes it good!!! And the score by Queen FLASH AH AH!

Zerosparx
Wind Dancers right way too cheesy

MIL
I think if Lucas/Speilberg duo took Flash Gordon seriously we'd have an unforgettable film!
I'd be waiting for any new one though!

BlackC@t
I hated this movie!

A super-hero football player!? I mean, come on!

big gay kirk
Watch the scene when one of Prince Barrin's men takes the test, and gets stung and dies.... yup, that is Peter Duncan, Blue Peter presenter and now Chief Scout of the UK.....

Corran
Flash is cool and Brian Blessed was great at Vultan. The cheesyness is part of the make up and attraction of the film with a great sound track too.

Gordon's alive

Cinemaddiction
FLASH! AH-AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.