What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Serious Hiker
Anyone?

yerssot
if it was up to me, both wouldn't survive long wink

if you believe in evolution, the egg and some bird came out of it and over the years it transformed into a chicken

Aini
eggs.
think about the dinosaurs, they had eggs, long before chickens even existed.

Dexx
weeeell...if you think about the evolution to pluricelular organisms, and then their reproductive systems...i'd say...it's hard to say, really. at first organisms of this sort self-reproduce by division. so..i'd say the chicken

WindDancer
If you are an Evolutionist you will go with the organism stuff.
If you are a Creationist you will go with the God miracle thingy.

In the end you choose the argument that suits you better.

Dexx
why can't we bind the two...and say that..... with a god miracle thingy, the first living cell appeared...and evoltion did the rest.
so you incorporate both theories wink

Forcizzle
the chicken of course, besides it's the only story that makes since, scientifically and logically roll eyes (sarcastic)

im burlyman
Believeing in God and Evolution. thumb up

Dexx
i don't see them as opposed, yes..

Forcizzle
that makes everything a contridiction big grin

Dexx
not at all. you can use god to explain the appearance of....the world that is, so to say. and let the rest to evolution. where's the contradiction.

Forcizzle
well the contradiction is the Bible, and the evoltion books, and crap like that but all i can say is to belive what you want

Dexx
one can only take what he wants from a book, and reach his own conclusion.

shaber
The chicken of course

LilKitty
And where did the chicken come from Shaber? stick out tongue The egg maybe? stick out tongue

shaber
According to the theory of evolution, the chicken evolved fromsomething else, so had to come before the first chicken's egg.

LilKitty
What exactly is ''somethinglese''?

shaber
Perhaps it was a cockatrice eek! if the chickens are such a progeny they should be treated with 'shock and awe' messed

Dexx
what are you babbling about? stick out tongue

LilKitty
Who knows stick out tongue

Forcizzle
what isn't that like something from final fantasy? roll eyes (sarcastic)

shaber
Just as well noone here is very well read on such things embarrasment

Forcizzle
as what the cockatrice?

BingaBonga
I believe that God made all the animals and I believe in the bible, therefore I believe the Chicken came first.

theReject
^agree with you.

Chicken

Forcizzle
thumb up

BingaBonga
smile

§pearhead
Well...I'm not religious, and say the egg came first stick out tongue

HockeyHorror
answer...

if we dont think about religion...in evolution life started with bacteria which later somehow evolved to protists and other animal like bacteria...then came the sponges and soon they evolved into cnidarians and flatworms...as time passed the flatworms evolved and became into small fish...as time passed they grew and changed...some evolved into crustacans and others decided to move to land and evolved into arachnids...and later on they ALL evolved and soon came the mammals. mammals were later distinguished in 3 areas..those that are marsupials, those that are placental and those that are monotreme (somethin like that)...before the mamals were the two ancestral relatives which are reptiles and birds. Birds and reptiles had very similar features. both had amniotic eggs. so basically we can just say "since we dont know how the first bacteria came, we can just say that it came to excistence without an egg, but with evolving on its own and reproducing asexually"

and i JUST NOTICED MY IDEA FOR PHILOSPHY FORUM WORKED!!!

how long HAS THIS BEEN UP!!!!

i been MISSING EVERYTHIGN!@!!!

theReject
blink
You're smart, aren't you?

HockeyHorror
yes

theReject
laughing
Thought so...
Then what do you think a good science project you be?
stick out tongue

HockeyHorror
Mushrooms/Fungi

perfect project. NEVER FAILS

i got first prize last year yes

Dexx
you're missing the point.
the question with the egg and chicken is (in a philosophical discussion) supposed to be generally adressed....not merely interpreted literally (which a lot of you chaps do). As in ...how did that bacteria appear to start with in the first place...?!

theReject
Cool...and many thanks big grin

HockeyHorror
Dexx> thats exactly what we dont know...

HockeyHorror
actually there is a theory in which a comet slightly hit the earth. comets contain elements in which "can" bring life. so as the comet hit the earth, some of the elements were "combined, mixed etc etc" which gave life to bacteria...but this is a weak theory in my opinion.

theReject
Yes...But where did the comet come from?

Forcizzle
what?!?! if were smart enough to tell other people exactly what happened at different times in the big bang then certainly you guys can tell people where the bacteria came from roll eyes (sarcastic)

*points to the Bible* you don't have to be religious, heck i'm not religous, i'm a dang hypocrite, but i do kow what i believe.

And of course that's just my input

Forcizzle
incredibly weak yes

HockeyHorror
yes

Forcizzle
lol besides i don't see anyother theory that makes sense, cuz everyother theory is telling me that life came about from random chance, which is a mathematical impossibility.

Darth Revan
*smacks forehead* Force, it didn't come about from random chance, first of all. Second, it's not a mathmatical impossibility. I don't know where you get that... If you wait long enough, the improbable will happen. If you wait forever, the impossible will happen.

Darth Revan
Damn straight smokin'
Biology kicks ass cool

HockeyHorror
agree^

but it also sucks in away no

theReject
How does it suck?

HockeyHorror
soeme of it seems bull shit at times... yes

theReject
Hmm...All we really covered in Bio this year was genetics pretty much...
I didn't think any of it was bull...how could it be?

HockeyHorror
we learned more than generics...

mostof it seemed right but i remember some stuff as we were studying which seemed like bull shit..i cant remember what it was exaclty...ill get back to u on that one.

Forcizzle
so if we wait long enough and a couple of tornadoes rip through a junkyard, one lucky tornado will build a golden wristwatch, that's works and it has the right time, is that what your telling me? cuz that must be what your telling me, philosophically of course

HockeyHorror
i think he is saying that everything happens for a reason...everything has a purpose

Forcizzle
pretty much

Dexx
*sigh*..as i said...the matter in question tries to determine how did the FIRST lving organism (bacteria or not) appear. namely...the one on the supposed comet...or whatever was the first one. Not restricting it to our planet....just the conceptual idea of the first living ..'thing'

HockeyHorror
well Dexx that we dont know HOW the first Cell itself came to be. but we (scientists) work on theories mathmatically.

theReject
Reading this I realize, my head hasn't hurt this much since I got out of school. erm

Forcizzle
how is a living organism suppost to survive in space?

HockeyHorror
no the theory states that the comet CONTAINS elements which might have given life from teh scattering as it his the planet...

but still very weak theory as i said before yes

Forcizzle
oh ok, well i'm glad it's just a theory then

HockeyHorror
yes yes

Dexx
but hey..who knows..maybe living organisms can survive in space....who knows what's out there. one can only assume

HockeyHorror
agree^

anything is possible...

Darth Revan
No, because if you have to wait forever for the impossible to happen, the human race will likely not exist anymore... wink

Another thing is, it's not just "random events" that all happened to occur in the right order with a destination already determined... It's not like Bill started driving from point A, intending to get to point B, but having no idea how to get there, and miraculously ended up there anyways after getting lost... More like Bill started driving from point A, not knowing where he was going to end up, and ended up getting to point B without necessarily wanting to.

In other words, the things that happened while our universe was evolving happened because of what came before them--not what was to come after them. ie, animals breathe exactly the same combination of gasses that exists on earth because it's here in such abundance. Not because all life NEEDS to breathe it, and it was just random chance that earth happened to be a planet that had it.

HockeyHorror
yes

everything happens for a reason.

HockeyHorror
here's a quote from Ras Kass- Interview with the Vampire

Ras Kass: Now what came first, the chicken or the egg?
God: Armageddon.
Ras Kass: A arm a leg a leg a arm a head.
Headin in your direction.
The riddle was the answer to the question.
Born of the flesh, what is perfection

Kaleanae
Why?

Forcizzle
so basically everything is here for an accidental purpose? oh and Kaleanae, there's your contradiction

Darth Revan
No. Everything that exists does because of what was there before it. I'll give you another example.

Bill wakes up one morning, and he feels the need to take a shower, because he's dirty. He's dirty because he worked hard yesterday, out in the sun, which caused him to sweat. So Bill gets out of bed and takes a shower. Meanwhile, his 2 year old daughter comes in and uses the toilet, because she ate dinner last night because she was hungry, so when she's all done, she flushes it like a good little girl. I could go into great detail there but I won't. Anyways, Bill lives in an older home, because he can't afford a new one. So when you flush the toilet, the water in the shower gets really hot, because people back when it was built didn't know what to do about that problem. When his daughter flushed the toilet, the water in the shower heated up, and Bill got scalded. Because he was scalded, he went to the burn ward in the hospital.

So Force, Bill didn't buy an old house with the intention of one day going to the burn ward. Things just worked out that way. It's the same idea with evolution--things happen because of what has already happened, not because something has to turn out a certain way. There are a million ways for life to work and survive, but because of the way earth is, it evolved the way it did.

HockeyHorror
yes

basically everything happens for a reason.

Forcizzle
Well darth what your telling me is that everything.. just happened right? it wasn't ordained or anything, and it didn't happen on accident?

well based on that theory i'm still agreeing with what HH said.

Because just like in the Bible, and in real life, everything happens for a reason, if you lie and get caught or you don't get caught, either way you sinned and it's going to come back to bite you, and that's the same thing the Bible says in the ten commandments, it didn't just happen that you got in trouble for lying, it was ordained that you would get in trouble if you lied, whether it be now or later. And that's the same principle for anything else.

Do you get what i'm saying?

Kaleanae
I found a good answer... maybe

"Actually, this question is more anthropological than evolutionary, since the chicken (Gallus domesticus) didn't exist until its domestication around 2000 BC in Indochina. The first chicken came from the first chicken egg, which was laid by a red junglefowl (Gallus gallus). Whether you argue creation or evolution, the fact that humanity predates and is responsible for the speciation of chickens from red junglefowl should lay the "chicken or the egg" question to rest. From an evolutionary perspective, this answer holds for all species: the first member(s) of any species were the offspring of another very similar species, i.e. evolution argues that the egg always comes first. From a creationist perspective, this answer is anomalous, since all species that predate humanity originated as adults around 4004 BCE, i.e. creationism argues that the red junglefowl came before the red junglefowl egg. " (Posted By: Michael Onken, Admin, MadSci Network)

HockeyHorror
basically what most are agreeing on^

Forcizzle
so i guess we can kinda change the name of this thing to, when did the egg first arrive or something....

and i would say, after whatever laid it of course.

Darth Revan
No, everything does happen for a reason--whatever happened before it. Like the Merovigne in the Matrix said--"I drink too much wine, I must take a piss." stick out tongue

HockeyHorror
ok since we believe that everything happens for a reason..

then what was the reason for the extinction of Dodo's...

how would life be different if the Dodo's were still alive?

Darth Revan
Dodos are extinct basicly because they were a lot less intelligent than humans, who found it easy to shoot them... However, that doesn't mean they were "stupid"--I believe that intelligence is relative. For example, I can't teach an arowana how to read, but arowanas are clearly successful predators in the wild. Nothing is any more or less intelligent than it needs to be to survive.

If dodos still existed, people would be slightly less cautious about killing things heedlessly. We've caused enough species to go extinct that people are recently having second thoughts about too much hunting and environmental destruction and such.

BingaBonga
Like Forcizzle said, this isn't based upon facts...

First off, I don't think that these things that happened weren't accidental, but I do believe that everything has a reason. I believe that things happen because of destiny, which I will not even get into. I don't think that chickens were accidently made from evolution. I don't believe in evolution at all. I believe in Christianity and the bible, and there are some things like this that cannot be explained in our life here on Erth. Therefore, I believe that the chicken came first, and until we enter afterlife, that's where it will stand.

Darth Revan
For the last time... Evolution was not an accident. When did I say it was? When Bill has to go to the burn ward for the reason I described before, that's not an accident. (well actually... stick out tongue) But it's not destiny either. It's the same thing with evolution. An accident is something tha happens totally by chance. I'm sick of explaining this so go back and read my other posts if you have any questions stick out tongue wink

HockeyHorror
i also am christian and believe in the Bible...but i enjoy reading the Bhagata-Gita. its alot different than the bible...

here's a small part i read last night

19/ Devouring the Forest Fire

While Krsna and Balarama and Their friends were engaged in the pastimes described above, the cows, being unobserved, began to wander off on their own, entering farther and farther into the deepest part of the forest, allured by fresh grasses. The goats, cows and buffalo traveled from one forest to another and entered the forest known as Isikatavi. This forest was full of green grass, and therefore they were allured; but when they entered, they saw that there was a forest fire, and they began to cry. On the other side, Balarama and Krsna, along with Their friends, could not find their animals, and they became very aggrieved. They began to trace the cows by following their footprints, as well as the path of eaten grass. All of the boys were fearing that their very means of livelihood, the cows, were now lost. Soon, however, they heard the crying of their cows. Krsna began to call the cows by their respective names, with great noise. Upon hearing Krsna calling, the cows immediately replied with joy. But by this time the forest fire surrounded all of them, and the situation appeared to be very fearful. The flames increased as the wind blew very quickly, and it appeared that everything movable and immovable would be devoured. All the cows and the boys became very frightened, and they looked towards Balarama the way a dying man looks at the picture of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. They said, "Dear Krsna and Balarama, we are now burning from the heat of this blazing fire. Let us take shelter of Your lotus feet. We know You can protect us from this great danger. Our dear friend Krsna, we are Your intimate friends. It is not right that we should suffer in this way. We are all completely dependent on You, and You are the knower of all religious life. We do not know anyone except You."

The Personality of Godhead heard the appealing voices of His friends, and casting a pleasing glance over them, He began to answer. By speaking through His eyes, He impressed His friends that there was no cause for fear. Then Krsna, the supreme mystic, the powerful Personality of Godhead, immediately swallowed up all the flames of the fire. The cows and boys were thus saved from imminent danger. Out of fear, the boys were almost unconscious, but when they regained their consciousness and opened their eyes, they saw that they were again in the forest with Krsna, Balarama and the cows. They were astonished to see that they were completely free from the attack of the blazing fire and that the cows were saved. They secretly thought that Krsna must not be an ordinary boy, but some demigod.

In the evening, Krsna and Balarama, along with the boys and cows, returned to Vrndavana, playing Their flutes. As they approached the village, all the gopis became very joyous. Throughout the day the gopis used to think of Krsna while He was in the forest, and in His absence they were considering one moment to be like twelve years.

Thus ends the Bhaktivedanta purport of the Nineteenth Chapter of Krsna, "Devouring the Forest Fire."

and here's a pic!!

http://www.krsnabook.com/images/pic15.jpg

Forcizzle
but that's a reaction stick out tongue

HockeyHorror
and DR never said it was an accident.

BingaBonga
I'm not exactly for sure what evolution has to do with Bill's story, but that's not really the point. I believe that the real accidents that do happen like if you drop you food are a part of your destiny, even if it is a small part.

Forcizzle
well if something is not on accident than it is on purpose, and if evolution is just natural then how can it do something on purpose?

Forcizzle
we know he didn't

BingaBonga
Agreed. yes

HockeyHorror
just clarifying for others yes

Forcizzle
as much as i am going to regret saying this DR if you want to bring the OMEga into this the go ahead thumb up

Darth Revan
It shows that everything happens for a reason, but that the reason is what happened before it... Not what is "destined" to happen later on.

Forcizzle
so then everything is a reaction to what happened before it *thinks* actually yes that pretty much is it, but wait are we talking about time, or the chicken and the egg?

BingaBonga
Okay, for those who think it was the egg that came first, and that this was all about evolution, then what happens when the egg is in its first stage, how did it get there in the first place? I think that's the true question for the people that believes in evolution.

Darth Revan
The evolutionists here don't think the egg came first; we think that chickens as a species evolved at the same time as their eggs from more primitive life forms.

Force>evolution and why it's not just "random chance"...

BingaBonga
So right now we're arguing over how the Chicken was created/made

Darth Revan
TBH, I don't even know anymore laughing out loud

I don't want to get into another creation/evolution "war" here... The question is meant philosophically, not literally wink

Serious Hiker
I don't know if anyone said this already, but maybe the chicken was created by a higher intelligence and put on Earth to make more chickens. erm

BingaBonga
That's where it seems like your taking it.

Darth Revan
Despite the fact that I've been talking about evolution... I don't want to start a war here. And I admit that I've been getting very sidetracked wink

BingaBonga
Just a little bit. wink stick out tongue

Forcizzle
laughing out loud yup yup

m!$hA
ive said it before and ill say it again...........
the chicken evolved from another animal.
simple.

and anyways, whoever says the "egg" take this to think about.......
if there WAS an egg first, then it wouldnt've been able to make more chickens because how could it fall pregnant and have more chickens??

Dexx
created by the midichlorians themselves wink

you chaps simply have to accept that you won't find the answer to how life appeared. Even the most renouned scientists have only theories...based on..not much wink SO we can definitely not say which came first....simple.

HockeyHorror
Dexx> we cant ignore to explore. yes thats what makes life interesting. most likely we wont find an answer laughing out loud

Dexx
SURELY you won't stick out tongue...but yes..it's hope that drives us smile

HockeyHorror
laughing out loud yes

hotsauce6548
exactly Aini, dinosaurs came long before the chickens and they laid eggs so the eggs came first

HockeyHorror
hotsauce no

no...read my long post..i think its on page 2.

Dexx
yup..t-rex was famous for spawning a chicken from time to time.

HockeyHorror
laughing out loud

Aini
I saw some thing on tv the other day and they said the dinosaurs and eggs thing is the answer to this old question. that's where I got that from. THEY said that...messed and TV is never wrong.......

Darth Revan
no, of course not no it's always right yes

Forcizzle
oh no, TV can be wrong, and right, it depends on the heart of the producer yes

Forcizzle
what did the chicken evolve from? and Foulosaurus or something? roll eyes (sarcastic) no, the chicken was made on the day when the birds were, so it takes a chicken to make a chicken egg, pure logic thumb up

Darth Revan
you actually thought I was serious? confused

Darth Revan
Monerans are the simplest life form, they came first. Then they evolved into protists, which became more and more complex, which eventually evolved into crustaceans and fish, crustaceans evolved into insects and arachnids, fish evolved into reptiles, which evolved into birds and mammals. Simple, pure logic. wink thumb up

Dexx
such a passive sentence.....was made by...whom?....the great anonimous i reckon.

and yes it takes a chicken to make a chicken egg....pure logic indeed. however one can only wonder what does it take to make a chicken...

Forcizzle
oh yeah that's pure logic, wait which part was pure logic again? the part that says that a dog transformed into a cat, because a cat was more advanced? Because that exactly what it sounds like to me thumb up

And what does it take to make a chicken?, a creator of course, and creator creates, builds, construct, etc. i.e. God

oh DR no i knew you were kidding but i forgot to pu tthe wink smilie big grin

Dexx
i see..so you'd rather vehemently doubt millions years of evolution, which revan describes there, and bring god into it. We were gathering scientifical explanations here....religious matters have the great advantage of a thing being in a certain way because..."that's how it is" and you don't need proof for it. So you can't actually comment on those wink..let's move on

Darth Revan
Thing is, you can't say that evolution makes no sense when you know nothing about it. Dogs didn't evolve into cats, rather, there was a simpler mammal, which evolved into two different things, dogs and cats. It's really more complex than that but that's the basic idea.

Why does it take a f*ckin' "creator" to make a chicken? I can make a chicken, by getting two existing chickens, and breeding them, and making a little junior chicken. Life isn't some kind of "magic".

Forcizzle
No i know alot about evolution and the difference between it and creation, and since i know the God exists then i take the creationist side, if i didn't know that God existed then i sure as heck would take your side.

And on the chicken note, all you did was breed 2 chickens, you didn't create or evolve the junior chicken. Case and point, also on the Life thing, if you could disassemble any life form, all the way down to it's blood cells and then reassemble it back up, could you make the lifeform live again? That is a free question, life is a special thing, it's not something to take for granted.

Aini
eek! you guys thought I was serious? blink

Forcizzle
about the tv thing? no we were just kidding also

Darth Revan
I know I just bred two chickens, but it shows that life, despite being incredibly complex, doesn't require some divine being to create. No, I couldn't take a life form, disassemble it, and rebuild it accurately, because that's literally impossible for a person to do, or at least in a reasonable amount of time. That doesn't prove I need a god to do it. Fact: Life is complex. Interpretation: Therefore, God must have created it. Interpretation: It evolved slowly over billions of years from the first, single-celled organism.

SlickRick69
I cant say much about which came first but I do know that the OMLETTE I had for breakfast was a happy and tasty ending for many a chicken and many an egg, so that's all that REALLY matters!!

YUM!!

The Omega
The hen got up from the nest on the hill to stretch its legs. One egg fell out of the nest, and started rolling down the hill.
The chicken ran after, but the egg got there first.

QED! wink

Forcizzle
That's because the original data to procreate was put into the rooster and the chicken, and the way you guys talk about evolution, it sounds like it could only work with a miracle or random chance, there is no base to that tree, there is just the branches, and branches dont make a tree stand up.

also the 2 interpretation, one has a beginning, the other is just there, that's one problem you got there, and explosion doesn't make life, we don't explode someone's heart to make them live, we don't explode a person and called it surgery. So what's the point of your beginning?

The Omega

Forcizzle
where'd he come from? nowhere, he's always been there and there know telling how long he was here until he started creating the universe, and that's one part i haven't found in the Bible yet, but i do know that he has always been here, and will always be here i.e. Alpha and Omega, and that's really all i can say.

The Omega

Darth Revan
yes

Just because it's in the Bible, you assume it to be true, yet you look at the hard work of people who examined the world, and thought about it, and came up with a reasonable interpretation, and you scoff at it.

The Omega
Darth> Yes! Let's get 'im. I'm sure it's TF in disguise... ! wink
That's what annoyes me most about religious fanatics. That they scoff at thousands of scientists who've worked hard through the ages, made mistakes, corrected them, tested, experimented, thought and calculated...
To - among things - give us a lot of the tech we have today.

Disbelieve Einstein is to say GPS is crap. If GPS works, then Einstein is right...

Forcizzle
It's not that the evidence is different, it's how you deduct the evidence, so on the creationist side we find the evidence and see how it links up with the bible, (and the reason is because we believe that God exists, and it's true, anyways), but on the other side you link up the same difference with a theory, and you even made machines for the theory. That's the only difference, it is how we deduct the evidence that we both find.

Also since when has ALL "science" put a date on the beginning on the universe? How do you tell the time of something you can't touch? blink

One more time, we all find the same evidence, but it's all on how we deduct it. thumb up do you not agree with this statement?

Darth Revan
I don't disagree with that statement, (mostly, at least) and I doubt Omega would either. Our problem is when you believe so blindly in what is, when it comes right down to it, a very long and complicated storybook. It was written by humans, whose only basis for the truth of what they were writing were eyewitness accounts of the events they described. The bible is arguably the most misinterpreted piece of literature ever written.

The basis for all arguments supporting Creation (or those I have seen) are almost invariably one of the following:

1. The bible said it, I believe it. (I depend on my faith to believe in Creation)
2. Evolution can't be right because... (how did seahorses evolve, where are the 2 or 3 celled intermediates, etc... all of which can be proven wrong)
3. Life has to have been created by something divine because... (it's so complex, it's designed so well, etc...)

Also, it's a little arrogant of Christians to believe so pig-headedly that God exists. Maybe he/she/it does, but we have no way of knowing for certain. What we do know is that the universe could have gotten to its present state on its own, without a God.

You can tell the age of something you can't touch a number of ways. In the case of the universe, we know that it is far older than 6000 years, based on the fact that we can see stars that are millions of lightyears away.

Forcizzle
First of all, i can tell you that God does exist, i'll put it plain and simple, yes it's true, and we can prove it, but everytime we give our proof you say it's nonsense because you can't see this God, and you can't hear this God, and we'll tell you why but you don't wanna have it. At all. We've got something that all other religions don't, whenever you become a Christian you aren't in a religion anymore you are in a relation, and damnit, no matter how many times we will try to explain it, and explain why we don't do what you do, why we follow and book that was made by humans, that were being directed by God, you want to call that weird because it's something you don't get. Then we're put in the same class as homosexuals, but guess what, the Bible says that we will be persecuted, and it was right we were and we still are...

IT's just one problem we have with the rest of the world, and it's all because we believe that God exists, and we don't believe blindly, we wouldn't believe if we didn't see him heal people, we wouldn't believe if he told us something and we did something else and in the end we end up getting ourselves in trouble because we wouldn't listen to him, we wouldn't believe if he didn't talk to us or answer what we prayed for, we wouldn't believe if the bible did not tell us what would happen if we did worldy things, we wouldn't believe if we didn't think there was hope for you all, we wouldn't believe if there was no heaven, we believe because God speaks to us through the bible.

You'd learn alot of things about living a better, and healthier life, from the bible. you'd learn about a history of people, just like any other history book, you learn about how the beginning of alot things, basically you learn alot of stuff from reading the bible...

*phew* now that i got that out i feel better big grin thumb up

Darth Revan
Force... I've told you before, I was a Christian for quite a while. I never felt like I had a "relationship" with God. I never felt like I was being "saved". Simply put, I didn't understand what all the hype was about. I have nothing against Christianity in and of itself, what bugs me is when people go around trying to push their beliefs on other people. It's not just Christians that do it, but that's what we're talking about. The bible does talk about a relationship with God, but there seems to be one big part of it that nobody really gets: LOVE YOUR FELLOW MAN!!! The people in my church were hypocritical morons, they never accepted myself or my family into their little circle of friends. I remember getting funny looks from people because I did something they thought was "unholy" or some crap like that.

Thing is.... I constantly found myself being judged by these people, which is exactly the opposite of what the bible says. The whole "using the lord's name in vain" thing isn't about how you can't say "god dammit" or "oh my god". It's about not saying God is going to do something to somebody, because theoretically you can't predict what God is going to do, if he does anything. Things like "the lord will punish you", shit like that.

I admit that parts of the bible are fascinating from a historical point of view.

Anywho... I consider myself a Buddhist, (still learning a lot of stuff) and I find myself living a better, happier, healthier life through its teachings. So you don't need Christianity to be healthier/happier.

punkyhermy
well naturally the chicken.Because if there was no chicken, where di th egg come from? Acording to nature, an egg just does not pop up in the air.Chicken came first than came an egg, so that the chicken could help it grow. As for the chicken, it must've first came as a mutant bird or something which later on developed into a population.

Forcizzle
Those people are called religious people, and being religious doesn't really help anyone, anyways DR you were probably in the wrong church. *shrugs* and with the healthir happier life, i didn't mean that following the bible was the only way to get that. Anyways what exactly does buddhism teach? confused

Darth Revan
Well... Obviously, it would take forever to explain everything about Buddhism... But I'll do my best to give you a general idea.

First of all, Buddhism isn't technically a religion. A religion is a belief in a divine or supernatural power, like God. Buddhism as a whole doesn't teach about any kind of supernatural power, but there are religious Buddhists--ie people who are some other religion but still follow Buddha's teachings. It's fairly unique in that it doesn't restrict you to follow only itself. Furthermore, there are a lot of people who aren't really "Buddhist" who put into practice what it teaches.

In some ways, it's similar to Christianity, in some ways it's the polar opposite. It teaches kindness to all other living things, for example. But it doesn't require you to believe everything, on the other hand. Basically, examine everything you are taught, and if it works for you, great, if it doesn't, don't follow it.

It's all about taking responsibility for your own life, and being able to know what to do with yourself without needing to be told by something external... Be it another person, a god, whatever. The other thing is about knowing yourself and your mind, to some extent. Nobody will ever know everything about themselves and their mind, but it's good to be able to know a little bit of what's going on in there.

I could go on and on about this... Hopefully you get the general idea, PM me if you're still curious.

Forcizzle
no i get the idea, doesn't sound to bad, so i'll refrain from going crazy wink

§words point
an egg wouldnt survive long so I think the chicken

AdventChild
OK! The answer everyones been waiting for!!!!!!

the chicken came from a retarted lizard egg... soo there for the egg came first!!!!
lol j/k!!!
I think the Chicken Came Firstbig grin

AdventChild
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dexx
why can't we bind the two...and say that..... with a god miracle thingy, the first living cell appeared...and evoltion did the rest.
so you incorporate both theories
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is such an incredible theory believeing God and evolution!! lol not a bad idea!big grin

Delicious1
simple God created all animals.
They Chicken came first because there is no way the egg could've survived. Unless Adam and Eve took turns keeping it warm

moonwalker741
the amish came first..

i voted 'other'

Victor Von Doom
It's quite logical that it must have been the chicken. It's not even that complex of a dilemma. If at all.

hezzy_baby
who the hell knows.

Fiery Eyes
smile The chicken came 1st is my opinion, Cuz God created animals 2 by 2, so he had to have created the chicken 1st. big grin

Ghetto Goblin
well who the hell doesn't.

manjaro
scientific logic dictaes that the chicken had to have come first. even if you believe in evolution, the species must have eveolved first b4 they could have offspring that looks just like them.

this is a bit abstract, but if you're devoutly religious you believe that Adam was the first Human, and there was no such thing as neanderthals or cromagnons. in that sense you could say, "what came first, the sperm or the man" all the while taking into consideration that the bible says god created adam from dust.

ONe thing about Evolution, Ive always found intriguing is why is it so implasuible that it could be one of the machinations of god?

Has anyone thought for one minute that maybe, just maybe, that whole big bang thing is how god chose to create the universe whenhe said let there be light?

just my thought of course

Krissy Von Doom
If you believe in the bible, the chicken came first seeing as god created animals and an egg isnt an animal.

Phoenix
a tiny bit OT --> I saw a comedy card in a shop once with a cartoon chicken and egg sitting on a bed and a speech bubble came from the chicken who was smoking a cigarette ''Well, I guess that answers that question...''!!!

eleveninches
/\ I saw that card as well big grin

But clearly, the EGG came first, bcause dinosaur eggs existed before chickens did.
Thre question should actually be 'what came first, the chicken or the chicken egg?'
But even then, the first chicken was born from the ancestors of the chicken (not actually chickens)

Alias Neo
None!
tiny 1 cell micro-organisms came first which then evoled, and evoled, and evoled, and evoled until it evoled into the chicken.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>