Comic of the month!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VENOMfan
Well the other forum's are all doing movie of the month I thought..why not Comic of the month.

just post what you feel everybody should check out, any company, any title

Ill start it off

Venom vs Carnage

JuggernautFan
i want to check out the identity disc mini series. but i havn't gotten around to it yet.

bardock
ultimate x men

Gregory
I'd recommend checking out the most recent Batman (not Detective Comics; the actual title "Batman"wink story (As the Crow Flies, I think it's called). After what I consider to have been a rocky start (I didn't like Broken City), I think the new creative team may have hit its stride. They seem to be taking Batman back to his detective roots, and I think that's a good thing.

Arachnoidfreak
Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Victor Von Doom
I've been liking Ultimate FF. Hulk is good right now, as is Thanos.

Arachnoidfreak
the only thing i have against Ult. FF right now is the way they changed the good doctor...err, i mean Dr. Doom. Victor Van Damme?? His skin transformed to metal?? c'mon. no

Alpha Centauri
The Silver Surfer for me.

-AC

Mr Zero
Why so?

I just read it and thought it was the best darn Bat-book i've read in bloody years.

Gregory
Several things about it rubbed me the wrong way. For example, we all know that Batman is haunted by the deaths of his parents. Putting a flashback of that in every issue of the comic, however, struck me as complete overkill.

Batman doesn't always sound like Batman. From the first issue: "This rain? If it comes from Him ... it's not his tears." That sounds to me like it came out of a pulp detective novel, not the mouth of the Dark Knight.

There were other things, too. For example, what was the Joker doing in the last issue? It was completely gratuitous.

badsymbiote
I'm really looking forward to V vs. Carnage and the new Rogue series, whose premier issue hits the stands on the 28th--along with Venom #17- which of course, is nearest and dearest to my heart. Also Spidey's Marvel Knights and honorable mentions to the All Ages FF and Spidey titles, which my sons love as bedtime stories.

Mr Zero
Aye we do see that "shot down in the street" scene way too often, but since this was at least in part a story about a child surviving the death of it's parents... yanno...

Point taken tho.

As to the Pulp dialog: That's Brian Azzarello for you. I know lotsa folks simply don't like the way he writes (and plots), but I am a fan. Hope they collect the next arc - is it still Rizzo on the art duty?

Arachnoidfreak
isnt Azzarello doing the Superman comcs too, with Jim Lee? I'm pretty sure he is. So far, he's done a good job.

ScarletSpider
The new Firestorm series was good, with the new character and a different approach. It raised some interesting questions.

Gregory
Actually, it looks like I was mistaken about that; the current creative team is different--Winick, Nguyen, and Friend. Azzarello has moved on to do Superman (I think).

Incidently, is it usual for a team to only have a title for half a year? That seems very odd to me, but then, I usually don't pay much attention to who's doing what (unless it happens to be someone whose work I already know).

Bojangles
Venom vs. Carnage

SnakeEyes
Secret War number 1: Commemorative Edition

bardock
snake eyes when is that comming out

SnakeEyes
that is already out, the Commemorative Edition just came out, cuz the normal one sold out. The second issue, out of five is already out also but i could not find it

MaverickIce
Captain Marvel 24 and 25..

Flash has been very good lately.

ScarletSpider
CM 24 was great, and I'm waiting to see how 25 is.

Manowar
actually ive been reading alot of back-issues lately so my favorite comic of the month is amazing spider-man #365 big grin

ScarletSpider
Invaders #0 was pretty good. Weird art, but it's kind of catchy. Thin Man is badass, weird as that sounds, it's true.

Alpha Flight #5 was good too. Weird and funny as usual and it's starting to get down to brass tacks, while leaving us in a veritable cliff hanger.

Cap and Falcon #5 was great too, new artist, revelations galore and just great stuff. That ending was great.

And Thanos is over :'( but it was a great issue.

eleveninches
I havn't gotten any new comics yet for about a month sad

Linkalicious
i picked some up yesterday...

ummmm Ultimate Spiderman 62 is pretty good. Apparently Curt Connors took a small sample of Spiderman's blood (without telling Spidey) and realized his DNA is more perfect and complete than regular humans.

In trying to create a means to regenerate his limb, and find a cure for cancer....they create Carnage (Ult. Spidey 61)

So in 62, it escapes and kills a couple of people in order to turn from this infant blob-like Carnage into the real deal. Then he starts seeing visions and memories of Spiderman's and learns to web sling from what he's learnered. Only weird thing is, instead of the normal slashing and mauling....he like sucks their life force in order to evolve faster.

oh and there's no host body at this time. Carnage is completely independent from Cassidy or any other host.

Manowar
well thats a crap storyline

ScarletSpider
Yeah, it is. Go get Invaders #0 and watch Thin Man kick the crap out of Captain America.

Arachnoidfreak
THANOS #12. Thanos steals a herald! and he survives a planet exploding! It's awesome!

Manowar
i thought Amazing Spider-Man #509 was pretty rad, i cant wait for the delivery of #510

Venom #16 was pretty dope, too

VENOMfan
hell yes it was, the twist arc turned that series around

and Marvel Kight's Spiderman specifically #4 is pretty good too

Arachnoidfreak
I didn't get #4 sad it's sold out.

twist...turned around...pun?

VENOMfan
of course! wink

.......not really...but I wish I had tought of it

Manowar
i will admit, i do need to catch up on my Venom comics sad

moshtitan
me too...the street fighter series thats out right now kicks total ass, as does the little crosssover HUlk vs. The Darkness.

Linkalicious
I have that comic, it's not THAT awesome, but it's funny trying to understand the little pixie chick, and Thanos is just such a bad ass.

Arachnoidfreak
It IS that awesome. Just seeing a herald be so cocky, and then become Thanos' friggin slave...and he was inside the planet's atmosphere when it blew, and came out with hardly a scratch on him...Thanos just friggin rocks.

Though, I just read Kingdom Come, and the story was waaaay better than I expected. It is the best Elseworlds story I have ever read. I think I'm going to go pick up Superman: Red Son soon.

Arachnoidfreak
The Hulk/Darkness crossover was crap. It did have potential though, if the comic were longer it would have been great. Wolverine/Witchblade was much better.

ScarletSpider
It sucks that Thanos got cancelled, I want to find out more about Starlord, and the Fallen One. Hopefully they shunt Thanos to another title, and those characters can go along with him.

Wynndar
yea i wonder where this Thanos thing is gonna pop back up cuz they didnt really finish the story...and if he resurfaces will they acknowledge everything that happened in his Title....will he wear his old costume again?

Arachnoidfreak
The rags he wore in his own title were much cooler than his old costume. and it suits his personality. no pun intended.

Shadow_King
has anyone read the astonishing x-men comic

Arachnoidfreak
I read #1. Dunno when #2 comes out, but I'll pick that up too. iT was alright, but it wasn't anything special.

Shadow_King
is the astonishing a mini series or is it a series.

Arachnoidfreak
As far as I know, it's going up to #12 at least, if they decide to go beyond that, I dunno.

Shadow_King
what about that other excalbiur

Linkalicious
When the hell does Venom vs Carnage come out????

I went to the comic store last week and it wasn't out...and frankly, i don't like going into that damn place with all those "comic book collector guys" who don't care enough to get exercise or wash their pimply faces.

VENOMfan
LOL apparently it comes out in July 28th now, It should have been out june 28th

Kontraz
back on topic, my comic for this month would probably be Transformers Generation One #6. I mean Venom vs Carnage is gonna be awesome, but i dont think its fair to list it as comic of the month when it has yet to be released, and they still might push it back another few months.

TF G1 #6, however, has come out, and it is one of the best looking comics i've ever seen. Artwork is simply amazing. It also wraps up the six issue story arc that's been going on, yet still leaves enough questions unanswered so there is still plenty of mystery to be explained.

Arachnoidfreak
Kingdom Come whoops Transformer's ass.

Jason Wyngarde
ast x men#2 has already came out i have subscibtion.

Kontraz
astonishing, i mean i have a subscription, and im gonna keep getting it, but i guess its jsut not "doing it" for me. I mean, i dont feel like ANYTHING has been accomplished, and the first 2 issues area already out. The second one only seeming to repeat stuff in the first, but with more details.

Kontraz
oh, and kingdom come..... no... lets not go there.... that just.... sad

Arachnoidfreak
Kingdom Come rocked.

I have to change my answer though. Marvel Secret Wars #2 IS comic of the month. Why? Because Nick Fury wants Peter Parker, Matt Murdock, Logan, Steve Rogers, Luke Cage, some chick, and the Black Widow to overthrow Dr. Doom. That in itself deserves comic of the month.

Shadow_King
dose anyone know what new x-men academy is about???? Arach is secret wars a mini series.

Arachnoidfreak
Yea, the new Secret Wars is only 5 issues.

Anyone read Identity Crisis from DC!?!? Awesome. Just...awesome.

ScarletSpider
New X-Men: Acadamy whatever is a continuation of the prior New Mutants title.

Astonishing has been off to a good start I think, and issue 3 should start to really deliver. Hopefully the "mutant cure" can cure Beast of his crappy lion mutation.

Shadow_King
that isnt beasts mutation.

Shadow_King
the only that made him look different from a regular person was his big fingers and toes. and he looks like a lion cuz it was an expirement gone wrong

Arachnoidfreak
I hate the way Beast's face is drawin in Astonishing Xmen. it is a friggin lion mutation. Classic Beast is much cooler.

Shadow_King
yea i like classic beast too.

Kontraz
you mean when he was more like a gorilla? That beast rocked!

Mr Zero
I just finished issue 2 and I'm not reading any more till it's finished, I'll either buy them all & read em when it's done or wait for it to come out as a trade, because the monthly wait will kill me.

I expected it to be a tough book after issue one - but it's gone beyond tough now - issue two was brutal, and sensitively handled given the subject matter while still being the most shocking mainstream DC book ive ever read.

Compulsive stuff, and if any of you who read superhero funny books are not picking this up - more fool you ; because the map is changing.

Arachnoidfreak
Yea, I definitly didn't expect what I saw in issue #2. The monthy wait is going to keep me on the edge, like a crackwhore in dire need of a fix. Who did it!??

Kontraz
Venom and Carnage... comic of the month by far!

Arachnoidfreak
You haven't read Identity Crisis, have you? Venom and Carnage are just good looking pictures next to the awesome story of Identity Crisis.

ScarletSpider
End of an era! Captain Marvel 25!

Kontraz
have you read venom vs carnage? Most likely not seeing as it hasnt come out yet.... The story might not be AS good as I.C (which i've also read) but its good enough to make a close second in story. THen it has the art, which is far better to say the least. Then there is the fact that it has 3 of my favorite characters in it..... hrmm.... i definately think that it takes #1 for me.

Arachnoidfreak
Carnage having an offspring doesn't even come close to what is going on in Identity Crisis. Hell yea, the art is WAY better in Venom vs Carnage, but that alone won't cut it. Of course "best" is always an opinion, so whatever.

Alpha Centauri
Identity Crisis rules.

Captain Marvel is getting real good. Waiting on Surfer #11.

-AC

Shadow_King
i only collected the first 4 issues of SS than i got lazy and i stopped collecting SS.

ScarletSpider
Ultimate X-Men 49 was pretty good,

Proff X: Where...where are you taking me?
Mr. Sinister: To the one true enemy of the great Charles Xavier...STAIRS! *shoves him down the stairs*

It's mean to push wheel-chair bound cripples down the stairs, but it was funny as hell.

Mane
has anyone read Sins Past part 2?? it was awesome!! what a great twist at the end!!!

Jodo kast
jedi:Yoda.

ScarletSpider
THUNDERBOLTS are back in November! WOOHOO!

And buy INVADERS! Or I'll scuff your shoes, and you'll have to act da fool.

morbius
ultimate ff or x men

jtkirkuk

ÞÁØlå
eek! really?!?!? laughing lol1

Alpha Centauri
Whoa Paola is moving up in the world, a moderator now I see.

I'm really starting to get into Ultimate FF now. Never took the time to, but really into it now.

-AC

ScarletSpider
YES! I almost couldn't believe it, it was great.

ÞÁØlå
laughing I'm dying to see it!

MaverickIce
1)IC does indeed rule.

2) Captain Marvel was cancelled.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah I heard. Shitty Marvel.

I never know when they do. I know they done away with Thanos.

Do they plan to cancel Surfer?

-AC

ScarletSpider
I haven't heard of any, but probably issue 12 will be its last.

Avengers 500 was pretty good. Wasn't great like I expected. Usually Bendis really delivers, but I think some of his dialogue in this was trite and poorly written. I don't mean to spoil people, but a couple people die and I think the others' reactions should have been different, rather than corny faux-witty lines like "Is it too late to hand in my resignation" when the big fight starts. Oh well, so far the story is being set up, and it promises to be good.

I know I often endorse weird or different things, such as titles like Captain Marvel and Alpha Flight that often lay on the periphary of comicdom. However, if you like military and political intruige with lots of action and several other elements thrown in, pick up Invaders #1! I read a preview, and I honestly think it's starting out to be some of the best stuff thats come out in a long time. Jacobsen knows his Golden Age heroes and 70's retcon Invaders stuff. And even though he's picking up a few decades old loose plotline he brings you in so swiftly there's no jaunt or confusing continuity problems. The art is kind of weird, I admit, but it looks a lot better than Invaders #0 and it's getting better and growing on me with each panel. Strike a blow for good comics, and buy this title.

Alpha Centauri
Revelation Part 4 was the last Surfer out here.

I'm waiting on part 5.

-AC

ScarletSpider
Iron Fist and The Pulse are getting the cancelled too.

ScarletSpider
I just read it, and Astonishing X-Men 3 was great. A couple people have said that "it wasn't working" for them, and I admit I thought it was good, great art, but what was the overall story?

You find out just what is going down in #3.

Arachnoidfreak
Goddamn it, I need to make another trip to the comic store, but Im broke. I only have Astonishing #1, I missed #2, and now I need #3. ****.

ScarletSpider
Yeah, it'll be worth it, it's pretty good so far.

wolverine 101
silver surfer

Shadow_King
i would like to say Astonishing x-men issue 3

Kontraz
i didnt like issue 3... it just felt pointless... nothing really happened, it just reminded you of what all the chars thought of each other... which was made obvious in the first 2 issues.

Shadow_King
well for me it got me intrigued on the connection with ord and the dr. and also what does nick fury know. and what is emma up to really like SC said emma is controlling cyke.and what did beast find about the cure. and will the cure actually work.

ScarletSpider
And the whole Jean Grey thing. If they resurrect her this time, it better be the last time ever. I'm tired of all this Jean shit. Stay dead, or stay alive.

Shadow_King
ha ha ha ha.excalibur issue#3 was ok.

Kontraz
no no... just stay dead. Nobody wants you back. If people really like her so much, they might as well admit to being necrofilliacs... however you spell that...

ScarletSpider
necrophilia. That's a Latin derivative, son.

Yeah, Jean's coming back. I read a previews synopsis of issue 6. "With their new team mate can the Astonishing X-Men beat Ord and make it home in time to get dinner and catch the movie matinee?"

bardock
i have iron fist #1 maybe some money down the road

Shadow_King
ok now if they brought jean back to life why cant the bring psylocke from the grave.

Shadow_King
and i was thinking since cyclops is with emma. does jean go with wolvierine or does she stay single.

Kontraz
i think she goes with wolverine, then gets killed again...

Shadow_King
what you mean. she was raised from the dead in which comic????

jayson
What new comics do y'all recommend?
I haven't brought any in over a year and totallly miss it.

Shadow_King
Kontraz are you saying that jean goes with wolverine and dies again.

ScarletSpider
jayson, get the new Invaders series. Short arcs but with epic feels to them and it's just starting, so when #1 comes out next week (I think) it would be the perfect starting point, because, of course, it's the beginning. Avengers is undergoing a reboot. So will Green Lantern at some point coming up. The new Firestorm series is getting interesting. And Alpha Flight, gotta love them canadian superheroes.

Kontraz
yes, i am saying that... cuz thats bound to happen, she dies in every other series, lol

Hostile
Singularity 7 - #1

Kickass.

ScarletSpider
She's a Phoenix, its part of her essence and character to be able to rise from her ashes. Doesn't mean they have to make it happen so often, though.

Shadow_King
well hope if jean is coming back she doesnt die.

ScarletSpider
"Oh, Scott! I love you, I'm alive again...for the 8th time! Life is grand, and we can run off and *MASSIVE HEART FAILURE, OWNED, DEAD!*"

ScarletSpider
So what's the consensus of the Avengers dissassembled stuff? I'm glad to see a new direction and a revamp happening, but Bendis is doing a shit job. The dialogue is horrid and it's generally unimpressive shock value stuff so far in the main avengers title. Most of the other stuff is okay. Cap and Falc is going great, both heroes are starting to go loopy and having their heads messed with. Spider-Man is certainly interesting. Regular Cap should just be cancelled. Haven't checked Iron Man and Thor yet. Thor's being cancelled, I wonder if the God of Thunder will die or simply take his leave from the Age of Marvels.

Shadow_King
what you mean thor is being cancelled. you mean the comic book???

ScarletSpider
Yes.

Shadow_King
wow. i cant wait to see what's gonna happen in the future with marvel comics.if they are already cancelling which heroes are gonna fill in.

Shadow_King
so does anyone have any predictions who is gonna survive the disassembling of the avengers.

Kontraz
i heard none of em do. I heard they are just gonna kill them all off completely...

Shadow_King
oh ok then.

ScarletSpider
No no no lol. They'll kill a few, but not all of the Avengers are going to die. Like they'd kill off some of their biggest money trains? They've just assigned Warren Ellis as the next Iron Man scribe, beggining after all this Dissassembled non-sense, Cap is going to make it through, of course, or else why would they have begun a Cap and Falcon title just a few months ago? There are solicitations for post dissassembled books with various Avengers in them.

Shadow_King
so hold on you mean after this disassemble some of the characters will have their own series.

ScarletSpider
Well after Disassembled Spider-Man, Cap and Falcon, She-Hulk and Iron Man at least will still have their own series. There will still be an Avengers book, 2 in fact.

I'm just saying Bendis will kill probably, 5 or 6 Avengers, max for no ****ing reason, but still he's doing it. Shock value replaces talent (I do like Bendis and think he does have a lot of talent, but even good writers can dissent to crap plot threads). Not all the Avengers will buy the farm, especially with a full cast of available Avengers being called in next issue, I don't think they're going to torch 'em all. They even gave Bendis a list and paramaters of whom he could kill off. Most of the good ol' Avengers we know and love will still be around.

That said, buy Alpha Flight #6, everyone, please, and continue buying it. Stick it to the MAN and skewer sales rates so bad Arad has no idea what smacked him like a 2x4. And Invaders.

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds, so go to the comic shop.

Shadow_King
well i hope thor will get his own comic series.

ScarletSpider
Most likely, because of lagging sales, Thor's series is getting cancelled. How this will impact his character I don't know. Are they going to kill him or what? I hope not, he's too badass a character. I wouldn't mind him just "going away" on some Godly sojourn for awhile, but with the option of him always coming back. We shall just have to wait and see.

Shadow_King
well what was up with loki.

ScarletSpider
He's instigating Ragnarok at the moment. And there is a Loki mini-series, seeing the classic events from his perspective. It's been done before, the whole villian perspective, but it's still pretty cool, because it's Loki!

Shadow_King
now is thor son of asgardian gonna continue or end soon.

ScarletSpider
I think they greenlighted that as an ongoing series, and last I heard it was doing strong. Since it's way back in tiime, it has nothing to do with disassembled and it should be safe.

ScarletSpider
Woohoo! Invaders #0 came in 31st for sales, with Punisher and Fantastic Four in the spaces immediatly in front of it. It beat out Action Comics and Hulk. DC's Golden Age legacy team, the JSA was in #36. Great start, and #1 is amazing, and it is the true kick off to the series. Lots of suspense and great twists, pick it up smile

badsymbiote
Got distracted by your signature--and I signed the petition. And I was only #51.

All of you guys should sign it too, even if you're 12 and don't know Sasquatch from Puck.

ScarletSpider
Yes they should! I haven't read #6 yet, my comic store doesn't get it until Wednesday, but I've been hearing weird things about it, people are unsatisfied with the story because Lobdell pulled some weird stuff. Well good! Maybe we'll have some character growth and a good change from the normal happenstances, and it opens up some great avenues for stories.

Mane
hmm. im sorry to say this, buti didnt sign the petition, because i was never a big fan of Alpha Flight. though ive heard its an incredible comic.

ScarletSpider
I think it is. Not like you have to be a fan to sign it, just do it to help out us Alpha fans.

Mane
i signed it and posed as an AF fan.

ScarletSpider
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

badsymbiote
Come on, everybody. It's not like giving blood, or anything. It's quick and painless, and you can credit yourself with the satisfaction that comes from helping your fellow man is his porverbial 'hour of need'.
Honestly, I did it for Vindicator-- I always liked him. So, you guys could do it cause Scarlet Spidey asked, right?

Mane
yeah! what she said!

badsymbiote
Scarlet--I'm sure you have mass clone pics already, but I wanted to shpw my appreciation for your stance on Alpha Flight's plight.

ScarletSpider
Thanks thats a great pic. And thank you, everyone who's signing the petition. *tears up*

badsymbiote
Oh, that's so friggen sweet, I almost can't even bear it.

Don't cry--you'll make me cry (ultra-girlie voice)

So, how about signing that petition, folks?

Mane
wallbash me too

ScarletSpider
The petition is largely a precaution because of Weapon X's cancellation. Alpha Flight is selling better than Weapon X was, and better than several other titles that Marvel is up in arms about and is keeping afloat. It's selling a lot better than Marvel's new pet title, Amazing Fantasy. However, unlike Amazing Fantasy, where Marvel will coddle that like some sort of cute little puppy, it treats Alpha Flight like a mangy back alley dog, when all it really needs is some loving.

Mane
good analogy.

ScarletSpider
Woohoo! Taskmaster and Agent X should be appearing in Cable & Deadpool sometime in the future!

Blade Cutter
The new Metal Gear Solid comics.Don't know when there coming out thow.

badsymbiote
Next Wednesday: Venom #18 (the final issue), Marvel Knights Spidey #6 (Venomous pt. 2, with art by Liberty Meadows artist Frank Cho), and ASM #511 (Sins past pt. 3)!

Mane
w00t! cant wait!

Mane
YAY! I HAVE IT!! WHAT A GREAT STORY!!!

spoilers available big grin

badsymbiote
Lucky dog...thanks for summing it up for me--I appreciate the synopsis. Can't wait til Wednesday!

Mane
no problemo...

SpikeSpiegel
Don't forget Avengers 501. It's got one of the best pics ever in: This!

badsymbiote
Ooh...wow. OK, I'll add it to my shopping list. And I think Venom vs. Carnage pt. 2 also comes out tomorrow...I can hardly keep them all straight anymore.

ScarletSpider
I don't have much on my pull list for this week. Juts Ultimate Fantastic Four, and maybe I'll pick up whatever else looks good.

Last week's Invaders #1 was very good, Jacobsen is doing one hell of a job setting up a short concise yet thrilling story, and pulling away from the somewhat muddled and confusing Chuck Austen influence that started the series. Too bad we still get horrendous covers by Kolins. Anyways, it was Dyna-mite! (if anyone gets the pun, a great deal of kudos to you. Mmm. kudos snack bars, so delicious.)

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>