Lent

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dogbert
As most Catholics know, Ash Wednesday is tomorrow and that is the start of Lent. What are you giving up for Lent? I think I am going to give up gum yes smile

WindDancer
I will be fasting tomorrow. Just liquids and water big grin

ash007
i will give up bread

Tex
Nothing, I dont think god wants me to suffer! diva

lil bitchiness
Internet!! eek!

Nah, that wont happen ermm

I doubt i will give anything up...smile

silver_tears
Probably red meat shifty

julibug
I've never observed lent. Which groups do that? Isn't it Catholic, Episcopalian, Lutheran? Others?

silver_tears
well I'm catholic, and it is really important to us, we have a school ceremony and everything yes
And today was in fact Pancake/ Fat Tuesday big grin

julibug
I saw on the news that this is the last night of Mardi Gras. I know that always leads to lent, and that Ash Wednesday is the first day thereof. But that's about all I know.

silver_tears
Right, well Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday is basically the last celebration before 40 days or fasting, prayer and alms giving.

In history, today would be the day where people would eat all the fat in their homes, to prepare for the fasting up ahead.

Here's a brief account of why it is 40 days big grin

Because forty days is a traditional number of discipline, devotion, and preparation in the Bible. Thus Moses stayed on the Mountain of God forty days (Exodus 24:18 and 34:28), the spies were in the land for forty days (Numbers 13:25), Elijah traveled forty days before he reached the cave where he had his vision (1 Kings 19:8), Nineveh was given forty days to repent (Jonah 3:4), and most importantly, prior to undertaking his ministry, Jesus spent forty days in wilderness praying and fasting (Matthew 4:2).

Since Lent if a period of prayer and fasting, it is fitting for Christians to imitate their Lord with a forty day period. Christ used a forty day period of prayer and fasting to prepare for his ministry, which culminated in his death and resurrection, and thus it is fitting for Christians to imitate him with a forty day period of prayer and fasting to prepare for the celebration of his ministry's climax, Good Friday (the day of the crucifixion) and Easter Sunday (the day of the resurrection).

HockeyHorror
im not catholic but i go to catholic school and tommorow we will have celebrate ash ceremony as a school.

silver_tears
our school is strictly catholic, we have mass every two months or so big grin
however this is not forced on you, you don't have to celebrate this even, as in ash wednesday big grin

HockeyHorror
we have to celebrate...and i've noticed most kids aren't even catholic...they dont even believe in anything.

silver_tears
I don't believe in forcing religion on people erm
But I myself can be labelled as religious, I go to mass, confession, all types of things big grin

HockeyHorror
big grin

Like i said im not Catholic and i dont go to church on Sundays. I dont think i need to go to church every sunday to still keep my religion. I belief what i was taught to believe i guess...

lol

Fëanor
I myself am a non practicing catholic...having been forced to go to church when young and sunday school did not leave a very good impression on me whatsoever. I will say I've a good relationship with God, but I personally do not think I'll give up anything...maybe KMC for a day... stick out tongue

julibug
I found this http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/lent.htm smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.