Wrestling, lost it or still strong?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vvvrulz
Personally i stopped watching long ago, once WCW got merged with WWF, it all went downhill i reckon.

Just wondering if the fanbase is still kicking, or was it just a phase.

Dr. Strangelove
No doubt the product is much worse than years ago as Smackdown is unwatchable. I contribute the worser direction to a couple of reasons.

1. With no more WCW, the WWE had nobody to compete with doing better shows than the other.

2. With Triple H married to daddy's worse half, he and his wife has more control over his character which is why he has had the belt for most of the last couple of years and has been the top feature in the WWE and not to more deserving and better wrestlers like Jericho. Pretty much everyone Ive talked to is sick of Triple H but he will probably get the belt back again if not Vengience then Summerslam.

3. A lot of the wrestlers that drew the WWE to its peak are now gone or are past their prime.

4. This is a little part but bringing in some the cancer's that killed WCW like Nash and Hogan probably weren't great influences and really almost nothing from WCW made any impact for the WWE and the invasion angle was handled terribly.

TrAnCeDuO
i constantly wonder when WWE will die and what new thing will take its place.....swordsmanship anyone?

Linkalicious
at all times during wrestling....it always seems like they have lost it. That's what attracts most of it's audience. It's not that it is so well written, it's that you can't wait to see what dumbass stunt they will try next.

During the Stone Cold/The Rock days in the late 90s, it still wasn't as good as the years with Diesel and Luger, and those years weren't as good as Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior.

It seems like its steadily decreasing, but infact it still holds it's fan base.

TheRealistKilla
sd sux period the only reason sd will be good is cause of taker and mysterio.

raw is holding up good thought.

imv i think vince was stupid for buying wcw and ecw.

but now tna has a tv slot and is kicking wwe's ass.

as for the superstars that dont apeaer its just not the same.

austins gone do to neck issues rock's doing films hhh is a power hungry b*tch and he is doing blade 3.

the only reason people still watch wwe or raw for that matter is because they still have benoit hbk and so on.

i watch raw cause raw isd better than sd do to the story lines and superstars.

i watch sd if either taker appears or if mysterio is wrestling.

TheRealistKilla
sd sux period the only reason sd will be good is cause of taker and mysterio.

raw is holding up good thought.

imv i think vince was stupid for buying wcw and ecw.

but now tna has a tv slot and is kicking wwe's ass.

as for the superstars that dont apeaer its just not the same.

austins gone do to neck issues rock's doing films hhh is a power hungry b*tch and he is doing blade 3.

the only reason people still watch wwe or raw for that matter is because they still have benoit hbk and so on.

i watch raw cause raw isbetter than sd do to the story lines and superstars.

i watch sd if either taker appears or if mysterio is wrestling.

Myth
I watched a lot in the early to mid 90s. Stopped for years and then started up again for about the first year of Smackdown. Then stopped again. However, I still love WWE video games although there haven't been any good ones since No Mercy on N64.

wuTa
wrestling has gone to sh*t since ECW went belly up

Dexx
how can you chaps watch this crap? blink
i barely lasted for 40 whole secs, before changing the channel. it's ridiculous...they fights are so clearly made up that it's almost funny to watch. i'm surprised they don't hurt themselves by throwing to the ground like that purposely

Red Superfly
They do hurt themselves.

Nobody complains about movies being rigged, how odd.

Anyway, WWE is terrible. They have been scraping the barrel, and simply refuse to give anybody deserving the spotlight, Chris Jericho springs to mind.

They have promising characters like Matt Hardy yet they completely lay waste to them.

Recently, The Undertaker "murdered" his manager, and "father" Paul Bearer, on Live TV. The Undertaker still wrestles, and nobody seems to care that this man was killed by having concrete poured on him. It shows that nobody in the arena thought it was real, because if it were, someone would have jumped the barrier. It was a perfect example about how unbelieveably fake the show has become.

I'm all for drama don't get me wrong. The best days of the company were during the Attitude era. DX, The Rock, Stone Cold and Mankind were awesome to watch, and all brilliant at their game. They were fresh faces because WCW bought all the old crap like Nash and Hogan. WWE created its new stars from the ground up. They don't do this anymore. Attitude died when WCW died. WWE is WCW now. It's a pile of garbage.

Back in 1998/99/00 WWF was at its prime. It was "cool" to wear wrestling shirts in public. Now it's as dorky as it ever was when Hogan was Hulking Up like a geriatric orange zeppelin.

WWF took everything it had going for it, and threw it into the gutter.

Stone Cold Steve Austin used to hold the WWE Title. Now we have Bradshaw (and Chris Benoit with HHH's fake title, that means more than the real one). It's a mess.

bardock
wrestling is lame watch ufc.

Linkalicious
UFC's lame now too.

What the hell's with all the rules? Weight classes suck...though with the popularity of the sport, they are almost necessary.

I still think the best fight i've seen was a Bloodsport-esque match were this small black guy fought a sumo wrestler that dwarfed him.

The small black guy somehow broke the sumo dude's nose so bad that it was like under his eye. Soo much blood the little guy was declared the winner.

I watched K1 recently....that's pretty bad ass because it's more kick boxing-ish

Dexx
pfft. movies are not live. These are entertainments shows...fights. how wants to watch a fight, of which the winner is already set before the start?

Red Superfly
Millions, and millions of people?

forumcrew
i think its lost its edge a bit but its still huge .. it could prolly be discussed without 4 threads though

G.P
Please keep this on topic. This is not a thread about whether it is good to watch wrestling or not.

leatherface12
I never really liked the WWE that much but it was way better when D generation x, the new age outlaws, and all the old wrestlers that were actually pretty good. They got rid of the best match there was which is the hardcore match. I know its fake but it is pretty entertaining. Now that about all they have is 1 on 1 matches and it gets frickin boring seeing 1 on 1 matches all the time. The old days were definitaly better.

Linkalicious
yah, it was great when Survivor Series was a 4 on 4 tournament where the two teams in the finals had already defeated two other teams of 4. 3 matches in 1 night....HOT!

leatherface12
Yeah that was a good match. Now the WWE has all these crap wrestlers that can put you to sleep in seconds because their so boring.

PunisherFan33
WWE is the best entertainment in the world. the only good thing is the undertaker

rock out loud
WWE RULZ !!!!! rock

vvvrulz
The WWE needs new idea's, the problem is that they've basically saturated it, they've tried every gimmick, and there is nothing left now but a bunch of burned out wrestlers in a show thats just too false.

I rule
Yeah the WWF was really good back then when they had the hardcore matches, hell in a cells, ect... Now about all they have is boring 1 on 1 matches

SlipknoT
WWe was defienitly in it's prime in 98-00. Once Austin stopped wrestling, Taker went bad ass, and Mick Foley stopped being mankind it went downhill. The only wrestlers I care about now are Undertaker, Kane, Eugene, HHH, and Jericho.

phinney6
Personally I've been watching wrestling since 1993, I collect tapes, and prefer the Old-school wrestling, the Mid-atlantic championship wrestling and the NWA 1976-78, I have tapes, I prefer actual wrestling benoit style matches and I prefer the Original 4 horsemen days 1985-86, I love Ric Flair, WOOOO!!

Danimal
WWE still has potential to be what it once was again. if they get rid of stupid storylines, and let the guys go back to how they really are. They are so tupid sometimes, i know its all planned out and eveything, so why not plan out a good story, and bring back charismatic characters, and stop amking truly good guys suck.
the stupid thing where Booker said SD was minor leagues made me angry, and practically turned me against him, but he is a good wrestler, but now they make him suckk and lose all the time. blahdy blahdy blah. its happening all over. get rid of cocky guys like randy orton, i HATE him, and know more people that do.
WWE needs more charisma and youth. not jerks and oldtimers.

Neo_Version 7
Mysterio is the prolly the one of the best wrestlers by far. He actually gives Smackdown hope. I mean with gangsta wannabe John Cena and annoying Bradshaw, SD is sure to go downhill. Booker T is alrite but getting old. They have to get rid of Dupree. And Eugene, don't even mention him.

I actually liked Bradshaw better when he was part of the Acolytes.

Danimal
main SD super stars:
JBL: loudmouth, sucks
Eddie Guerrero: annoying as a mosquito, sucks
John Cena: promising, but annoying
Rey Mysterio: awesome, yet to peak
Booker T: Thinks he's the best, but Can't win
Rene dupree: kill him.
RVD: charm isn't as good on SD as RAW, still good.
angle: effin moron, fire him.
Luther Reigns: wtf? thats no way to introduce a superstar.
Chavo Guerrero: gay
Dudley Boyz: still rockin, need to go back to the way they were on RAW
Billy Kidman: signature move-A, talent-B-.
Paul London: things look up for the newbie.
Spike Dudley: always promising Cruiserweight, not much else.
Scotty-2-Hotty: past prime, love the worm.
Undertaker: awesome, but will end up showing up as much as The Rock.
and taker needs to "kill" paul heyman.
AND
Big show: needs to come back.

SlipknoT
I cant stand that shit head. He compleatly dissed Mick Foley in his book. Mick Foley was at least entertaining, I'm forced to change the channel when Ric Flair comes on. He's so boring. He has no character. All of his matches are crappy and they all look so fake. He needs to retire and die.

vvvrulz
Once the Rock was gone, that was pretty much it for me. He added a lot of spice into the WWF, and his vedetta vs HHH and Vince McMahon made for interesting viewing. But once he was gone, and a whole host of burned- out wrestlers and gay newbies came in, i lost interest.

Neo_Version 7
Big Show has to come back.
Eugene has to leave.

Red Superfly
You do know these are CHARACTERS right?

Booker T is just like everyone else, and Randy Orton is just playing an ass to get people like you to hate him.

The idea behind the bad guy is to get people to hate you.

FYI, Randy Orton is a superb wrestler - did anyone watch Raw on Friday. For the first time in a while, I enjoyed that show because they had Edge and Orton (two fantastic wrestlers) battling in an old school wrestling match. Even the ending was interesting.

WWE has plenty of charisma and youth. They just aren't using them properly.

You have Chris Jericho, Matt Hardy, Christian, Edge, John Cena, Booker T, Eddie to name but a few - they all have fantastic charisma and several of them are still very young. Problem is, WWE keeps giving them crappy gimmicks, with crappy storylines.

Matt Hardy springs to mind as a character worth developing, he's popular

phinney6
Your opinion is your opinion, I agree, flair isnt waht he used to be 20 years ago, but I prefer the actual wrestling matches and not hardcore stuff. And flair was the man in the 70's and 80's, I still like his aarogant cocky attitude wtih HHH, but I agree he should retire now.

04wayne
For all you twirps out there that think wrestling has lost it go to hell. It is still as good as ever!!

Dexx
wayne youre' now being officially warned. do not revive or create another wrestling thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.