re: new AICN AOTC Script review

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kane_Starkiller
have you all read Morarity's review of the AOTC script over at Aint it Cool? sure you have

For me, this is the most possitive feedback YET! It's almost reassuring.

Let's face it, Star Wars fans lost a lot of faith when TPM came out, and I think ALL of us, have a shadow of a doubt about the merit of AOTC.

When I read Morarity's review I found myself smiling ear to ear!Why? Well, for a start AICN don't bull. If something's bad, they tear it to pieces, and praise only comes when it's truely deserved. Morarity is VERY keen on the script, and this is honestly some of the best feedback I've come across.

Even if you only read the non-spoiler part of the review (which I did), there is plenty there to intice, and the review certainly gives you that "damn, I really wanna see that film" feeling.

I think this was the review I needed. I've been a bit "it's gonna be brilliant ... but, george don't do a "phantom menace on us". Not again. PLEASE!!! But, now, I think I might have got the old boy wrong.

What do you think?

Ushgarak
What is it with these people that like to speak for all?

I never had any doubt over AOTC's merit. I never had any problem with TPM. Though I have plenty of doubts about AICN.

What exactly is this script he is reviewing, anyway? To read it, he may as well be reading a six month old scriptment. There is nothing there we do not know and have not debated to death already.

Kane_Starkiller
fair enough!

but to answer your question - the thing with 'these people' that like to speak for all, is we're - (in fact, let's be honest) - I wasn't speaking for everyone, I was speaking for myself, being that this is a forum, where ANYONE is allowed to speak. At no point did I say that anyone other than MYSELF felt reassured by the review, hence the constant use of the first person narrative.

I DID say that many star wars fans had lost faith since TPM, and that's because many have. Sure, Ush, you didn't, that's great, but people I know in real life that don't post on star wars forums and aren't die hard fans, and casual fans that you meet in other forums, do feel like this, and it's hard to deny that many did feel dissapointed by ep1.

Doubt AICN if you like, but it's run by people who have close contacts in the buisness (being from the UK, ush, you may know that Harry has a column in Empire Magazine, and was responsible for the LOTR special where he spent the closing months on location in New Zealand). Personally I visit AICN regulary, and for one, respect their reviews, finding their opinions honest, trust-worthy, and quite often accurate. THIS is why I started the new thread, and why I asked for others people's reactions. I appologise if sounded like I was, but I assure you, I was speaking purely from a personal perspective, and not for anyone else.

Debated to death or otherwise, I only wanted to start a disscusion, not reveal some hot off the press news. However, I appreciate your opinion, and merely wish to clarify that it was NEVER my intention to speak for you, Ush, or any one else.

PS) I like your balls, fella! stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Let me quote you:

"I think ALL of us have a shadow of doubt about the merit of AOTC"

I took great exception to that. No, all of us have not. That sounded EXACTLY like you were trying to speak for all of us. You were wrong; I called you as such.

And while many fans were diasppointed by TPM, just as many loved it as well. It also brought in a whole wave of new Star Wars dfans. I dispute your interpretation of TPM as some sort of faith crisis for Star Wars

AICN has posted too much rubbish over time to have my confidence.

And *I* was just asking what exactly it was AICN was reviewing. If it is an old scriptment then this is not a very noteworthy event.

Kane_Starkiller
ush. you are a gentleman.

Ushgarak
That's nice to hear, if rather surprising. I'm sure you are on yourself...

LanceWindu
I NEVER had any doubt about AOTC. And I never lost sight of Star WArs over TPM. I loved it.

ToMacco
Interesting things written in that dudes review of the script.

I read too much, though. I found out things I didn't want to know. Oh well. It sounds good. Let's all cross our fingers.

Julie
I didn't read it, but I am definitely looking forward to seeing the real thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!
I read a spoiler script at TF.N months ago.....it was good then.....if it improved it must be Awesome

yerssot
I liked TPM, although some things were over the edge...
And I have no doubts about the quality of AOTC what-so-ever

Julie
That's good to here smile .....Hey everybody, Yerssot says ther'll be nothing wrong with the quality of EpII.....great wink

BTW....I couldn't agree more.

TPM also a good movie, but I think AOTC will be better wink

yerssot
don't trust me, I'm known to make mistakes ... from time to time...

But as I see it now it's a romantic action movie

Ushgarak
That's not really a spoiler yerss? Any more than the name is. GL has said that loads of times.

yerssot
ok, I'm addicted to it!

queeq
Quite an odd place that AICN. Rather rude as well.

Amidala
I dont know about AICN, but really make up your own mind about it when you see it.

As for the screenplay - it was not totally written by GL, it is was a colaboration between him and another guy ( no idea what his name is, have a look at the fine print on the credits on the trailer ) sorry for the lack of info. I am glad he has done this, his best screenplays have been colabortations in the past.

+ TPM rockedsmile

He-Man
No TPM didn't rock (or that's what mesa thinking), but it was good enough.

Neither were ESB and ROTJ written totally by Lucas. The guy who helped him writing AOTC is Jonathan Hales (if that's how you write it).

yerssot
yup, that's the way normally...

There is no problem with ghost-writers, btw

Bantha Fodder
Lucas had help writing all of the previous Star Wars movies, including A New Hope. That's why TPM sucked so hard, because Lucas can't write. He can't direct anymore, either. I wish he'd gotten help directing the new trilogy...

Please, anyone defending TPM as a "good" movie is being impartial. By any standards it was at best a mediocre movie. George Lucas is more of a technician than a writer/director, he focused on special effects rather than story, plot, dialogue, suspense, or drama.

I only hope that AOTC is at least watchable. I nearly left the theater during TPM it was so bad.

I keep wondering how Lucas is going to ruin AOTC with another CGI character. Jar Jar Binks isn't in enough scenes to ruin the movie, so there must be some other way that Lucas has devised to wreck the film.

yerssot
and by saying this you showed that you are stubborn in your puny opinion...

If there are four movies, one is bound to be the worse of those four... IMHO that one was RotJ

It's not because a character is cgi that it ruins the movie!
I believe GL created Jar Jar and Watto in order to give the boys at ILM something to exercise for Yoda in AOTC

Ushgarak
I have NO idea what you mean about those who supprt TPM being 'impartial'!

But I think it was a good movie. Personally, I think anyone disliking it is being unfair.

Gundark
I thought TPM was very good. And Qui-Gon's character I felt was important in telling Obi-Wan's story during that part of his life. Obi Wan couldn't come busting out as some great Jedi without a teacher as he is one of the major players in the PT.

peluffo

yerssot
"I oversee you will once become a great Jedi Knight"
QGJ was right about it!

Funny, from the 4 replying to BF's reply, none thinks TPM is a bad movie.. is that a sign?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.