What is evil?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Omega

ragesRemorse
evil thoughts eventually will persuade evill actions

HockeyHorror
Confucius said that we should never think about evil. thats what triggers us to DO evil.

Linkalicious
Here is your definition

yerssot

Syren
Jeez, guys, you all went running for a dictionary.

I don't think Omega asked for the definition of the word evil, not gramatically anyway.

"Does the good THOUGHT really count, or is it the actions that are good and/or evil?" - The Omega

This question in particular brought to mind images of what friends or family would perhaps say as a consequence of my doing something despicable; isn't it usually along the lines of "I'm sure she had the best intentions", or "I'm certain she had our best interests at heart"? This only cuts it up to a certain age, a five year old's "I never meant to!!" over a broken vase stands up much stronger than an adult's "I didn't mean to". It's a factor of growing up.

People tend to assume, in most cases, that the wrong-doer perhaps had good intentions initially, but it all went wrong. Which is ridiculous. How can a serial killer, or a peadophile even, ever have the best intentions??

IMO it is the action and subsequent consequences that matter the most, as they are more likely to be remembered than the sinner's original plan.

Forcizzle
well sin is evil and evil is bad, so sin is bad eek!

yerssot
that's if you believe there IS sin

Nazgulinthedark
what you are saying about the serial killer doesn't really in my opinion account for what you are saying about good intentions. the serial killer means to kill some one. a grandparent who buys their grandchild a toy for their birthday, but when the kid plays with it, it cuts the child or injures him/her in some way, the grand parent did not intionaly give the child this toy so that they would get hurt, but so the kid could have a good time. that is more of a good intetion.

Forcizzle
yup yup, i sin, you sin, yo momma sins, we all sin stick out tongue
and yerss you know what sin is... hmmm? roll eyes (sarcastic)

BingaBonga
I believe that the true meaning of evil goes a lot deeper into that definition. It's hard to define it, but we all know it, sometimes better than others. I believe that hurting someone for the pleasure of it is true evil. Serial killers are evil. I'm not for sure if evil doers are born evil, but I think that deep inside they are.

yerssot
sin
1. A transgression of a religious or moral law, especially when deliberate.
2. Theology.
a. Deliberate disobedience to the known will of God.
b. A condition of estrangement from God resulting from such disobedience.
3. Something regarded as being shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sin

big grin
and over here a sin is in around 99.99% of the cases religiously inspired stick out tongue

Syren
laughing

Did you all miss this on purpose or something?

IMO, it's probably the most original answer in the thread so far, you have to hand it to him, he's got ingenuity.

Although, he did tell me via MSN earlier that he'd linked it up to my profile, where-as here it leads to someone else's. Now, either he lied, or he hot-footed it back here after confessing and amended it. Liar or chicken, you decide.......

And Nazzy, as much as it pains me to say it, I think you're right. I re-read my previous statement and even I disagree with what I said. I think I must have worded it wrong, because I don't like what I've written. My bad embarrasment

BackFire
What is evil? Hitler is the perfect example of what true evil is.

Syren
yes

Short and sweet as ever BF. But so true.

HockeyHorror
well to hitlers perspective he wasn't evil...

so what IS evil..or what SHOULD evil stand for...cuz people see things in different perspective.

BackFire
Hitler's perspective was wrong.

He set out to kill as many Jews as possible simply because they didn't fit into his mind's eye view of perfection, so he decided to exterminate as many of them as possible. Not only this, but if any of his own people disagreed with him out loud, they were killed as well.

I'm sorry, but this is factually, evil.

I think evil is intentionally doing something that will cause harm or death to another person, regaurdless of common sense telling you it's wrong. There are several scopes of evil I think. A lesser evil would be a bully. He beats up people despite knowing he shouldn't. He's not hugely evil, but his actions can be considered evil to some small extent to someone or another. Then there's larger evils, like rapists, murderers and such, and of course there are many in between.

Then there are assholes like Hitler, who's so evil he makes satan shake is head in disgust.

HockeyHorror
agree yes

silver_tears
I disagree with BF's first statement (yes disagreeing with BF can be done stick out tongue) You can't just categorize a person as evil, because I don't believe pure evil exists, everyone has good thoughts once in a while, Hitler although clearly a crazed lunatic, was not viewed to be evil then, and there had to have been a part of him with even an ounce of good.

I think it has to do with perspective, what we see as good or bad, everyone has different ideas towards this, and something "evil" to us, may not be that way to others, therefore everyone has a different definition for evil, and there is no true answer to what it is.

To me evil is doing something intentionally when you know it is wrong. I think we are instilled with morals from birth, where we know what is good and what is bad, right and wrong, we learn from those around us, you know the drill "Don't take what isn't yours, or don't push your sister, etc etc.". Knowing fully well you are doing something you were taught is wrong is evil in my opinion.

And as stated before, ideas can be considered "evil." Ideas and thoughts lead to actions.

m!$hA
I am evil!!!

BackFire
I'm not "just" catagorizing him as evil. I'm taking into accounts his horrible actions that were indeed overly evil in nature. Just because he may have had some decency in him doesn't mean he still can't be evil in nature. All we have to go on is hitlers actions, and needless to say, they were indeed evil.

"To me evil is doing something intentionally when you know it is wrong. I think we are instilled with morals from birth, where we know what is good and what is bad, right and wrong, we learn from those around us, you know the drill "Don't take what isn't yours, or don't push your sister, etc etc.". Knowing fully well you are doing something you were taught is wrong is evil in my opinion."

I believe this statement would hold true for Hitler, wouldn't you agree? Surely he knew that killing millions of people out of spite is wrong. "don't kill people" is one of the most basic laws of human decency, the fact that he was able to kill so many people is to me proof that he is indeed evil.

Darth Revan
I don't think people themselves are evil, I think it's the act(s) they do that are evil. Like BF said, people know they shouldn't kill or rape people; but they do it anyways. So I don't think it's the person themself that has the problem, it's always (unless they're mentally ill or something like that) something external that drives them to do it. Even if it's just something tiny that sets off a chain reaction in a person's mind, causing them to eventually come up with such and such idea, and do something evil, it started externally.

Also, I don't think ideas can be evil. The idea itself doesn't hurt anybody except for maybe yourself as long as it stays locked up nice and safe in your mind. It's when you go acting on it, in whatever way, that it becomes harmful and evil.

silver_tears
But if you know fully well this idea is frowned upon is it not evil then?

HockeyHorror
evil is how hairy i am yes

but seriously evil is seen differently amongst different people. hitler's Rise for Aryans was not evil for his perspective.

Darth Revan
No, because like I said, it doesn't hurt anybody as long as it stays in your own mind and you don't act on it. Everybody has "evil" thoughts now and then, but if ideas could be evil, than theoretically, everybody on earth could be considered evil to some extent.

Also, you can't control a thought. You can contain it, and keep yourself from doing something because of it, but you can't stop it from getting there.

Darth Revan
yes

BackFire
But to his perspective it was okay to kill several million people, thus proving his theory, and perspective were horribly incorrect and simply evil.

Forcizzle
stick out tongue and over here it's just something that you do wrong big grin kinda

theology is a sin? huh

jesusmonkey777
evil is hatred hatred sprouts darkness darkness drives people to do things like murder or.....in some cases world domination.....very rare though. but other then that i think that evil is too stereotypical i mean everyone thinks that the bad guy must wear black have an assortment of powerful weapons and has to have a repose of world domination (note i have no idea what repose means..lol) and thats why i like grand theft auto because the mauin character is basically a mad killer that does and sells drugs as well as being a hired hitman but in vice city he wears a bright blue.........which could be just as evil as the color black but people stereotype evil to the color black

silver_tears
Technically everyone in their life has at one point done an evil deed.
Don't deny it stick out tongue
I mean if you know stealing and telling lies is bad and you still do it, is that not evil?

So therefore whether or not ideas are evil, everyone has in one point in their life done something "evil"

HockeyHorror
what about evil in suicide? is suicide an evil act?

jesusmonkey777
everyone has done somthing wrong its whether you know its wrong and think that what you did was wrong determines the fact of how evil the deed was

jesusmonkey777
suicide in my oppinion is an evil .....thing only couse im very religious

Darth Revan
Hockey> Depends. Suicide can be evil if, in doing it, you know that you're going to hurt your loved ones. If you have nobody who cares if you die... It's not, because you're not hurting anybody else.

Silv> Yeah, everybody has done something "evil", but that doesn't make the person evil. And telling a lie or stealing IMO aren't a big enough deal to constitute calling evil. Well, obviously it depends what circumstances it's under, but you get the idea.

jesusmonkey777
thats kinda harsh dont you think?(about darths suicide comment

silver_tears
Yes, but if you think about stealing and etc, are you not being evil, because the idea itself you know is wrong stick out tongue

Jedi Priestess
well now there is evil and there is doing something wrong.....to me evil is either already there or can be taught so to speak, but I also believe that there has to be a basic kernel, or genetic marker, or something that must be present for a person to be really evil. ninja

silver_tears
Also if you commit suicide you could in the long run be hurting someone. I mean what if you were destined to discover a cure for a disease and you go and kill yourself, thats a big deal stick out tongue

BackFire
Someone else will do it.

jesusmonkey777
but now were getting into fate if you were destined to find a cure for cancer then you kill yourself your destiny changes from discovering a cure to death by suicide or if that person commited suicide i dont see how there destiny would have led them to discovering a cure.....in my opinion life gives you choices right? well each ti,me you make a choice your destiny changes and a suicide person is no different. they had a choice..... kill tghemselves...or somthing else thaat could have led them to discovering a cure but the instant they chose to kill themselves there fate changed

silver_tears
But how many people may die before they do stick out tongue

jesusmonkey777
and therefore there choice will no matter what affect others in either a good or bad way but most likely bad which would make suicide in my opinion evil

Darth Revan
But then I don't believe in fate, do I? stick out tongue

silver_tears
You just like being difficult stick out tongue

Darth Revan
yes

Though it's true that I don't believe in fate. I made a thread about it yes

jesusmonkey777
hey what about justified evil like justified killing and im not talking about cops im talking about like serial killers killing serial killers would that tewchnically be evil?

silver_tears
Killing in any form is wrong, no matter what.
Two wrongs don't make a right. no

BackFire
Three wrongs, however...

yerssot
no, it's that in the field of theology they have two different kinds of sin... I think

well, here you can do something wrong and still don't claim it's a sin... it's a sin of waisting good food though wink

Exabyte
I don't believe in something like "evil" - In my opinion evil depends just on your point of view and the ideas of the society you live with - some think suicide is evil, some don't, some think Hitler is evil and unfortunately many didn't.

There is no global evil except for hatred - well, that's *my* point of view.

"Evil" is just humanity's attempt to find somebody guilty for everything where they themselves failed to do what would have been right.

How can a perspective be "wrong"? For each and everything on earth, there are some people who think it's good and some who think it's evil...
Don't get me wrong, I do think what he did was evil, but that doesnt mean that it's indeed evil - it's just evil from my point of view.

Was Hitler an evil person then? The personification of evil itself? Certainly not - he liked children, he liked animals, the problem is that he became mighty and that his conviction killed millions of people and ruined the lives of unnumbered others. But after all, it wasn't him alone who killed them, he could never have done it, nobody would remember his name, if not so many people thought what he did was "good". It's easy to say now "Hitler is evil" - but what if there hadn't been a Hitler?
Then somebody else would have come and maybe have made even worse things.

It's a typically human habit to always search for somebody guilty - be that the Jews who were already accused of having brought the plague to early French kingdoms in the Middle-ages because it's so easy to accuse somebody who is the minority, or Hitler who now has to represent all the "evil-ness" that millions of people helped him to accomplish, or me for going kinda off-topic with this post - isn't that the same we are doing now? Looking for somebody guilty? Somebody worth being called evil?

Evil? I don't think it is... the right to live shouldn't become an obligation, a burden to live - that can't be what life is meant to be? An obligation?

The Omega

yerssot
I only quoted from a dictionary, cause I dislike the formulation used in quite some threads here... "what is evil?": take a dictionary and look the word up; that is the exact definition of evil, if you don't like that, mail those people and say what you want changed and see if they change it

you can go "philosophical" about how you personally see evil but not about the pure definition imo

BackFire

The Innkeeper
The Very Embodient Of Evil

laughing Joking guys wink

The Omega

§words point
evil is doing wrong to others example:Pedofiles are evil

BackFire
"BF> But did Hitler himself kill anyone? Did he EVER pull the trigger?"

No he didn't, but he's still ultimately responsible for the actions of his followers. Just like Charles Manson. Never actually killed anyone himself. Had his "family" do it. Still, he is too blame, as is Hitler.

I think it's unfair to compare Hitlers mass slaughter of everyone who disagreed with him to the current happenings in Iraq. I think what's going on now is much more justifiable and reasonable then what Hitler did. Right now over in Iraq, people aren't just killing any Iraqian. Only those who attack the soldiers first, or who they have reason to believe is part of the problem. This is opposed to Hitler, who killed EVERY Jew, homosexual, ect that he possibly could, rather they posed a threat to him or not.

Also, I think most Germans listened to Hitler because if they didn't they would be killed.

§words point
hitler didnt kill gays

The Omega

§words point
goss hitler didnt kill gay!!! Homosexuals are indetectable unlike jewish people and so on.

yerssot
write to the ones who wrote the definition then about your complaint? confused

BackFire
Well Omega, I'll agree with you on the people who listened to him are equally as bad. But Charles Manson was also just as much at fault. He somehow brainwashed some already wacky people to do his bidding. But as I said, both parties are to blame.

And yes, our idealologies have changed over the years, but that doesn't automatically mean that our former stupidity is a valid excuse for our previous acts. The witch hunt was stupid and arguably evil. Just as the Nazi beliefs and acts are.

Ushgarak
Back to Evil and Hitler again, eh? Things are starting to get circular.

Well, I'll just repeat what I said in other such threads then. I reject moral relativism totally and utterly, I believe morals are absolute and people can be judged by an objective standard. Hitler was absolutely evil, regardless of what he thought he was doing.

Exabyte asks:

"How can a perspective be "wrong"? For each and everything on earth, there are some people who think it's good and some who think it's evil... "

Why do moral relativists insist on thinking that this question cannot be answered and so forms a huge hole in absolutism? This is really such a simple concept that has been discussed around here before; I am amazed people still ask.

The answer is damn simple. How can it be wrong when some people think it is good and some think it is evil? Because some of them are WRONG! How much more obvious a line of thinking in the absolutist argument can that be?

Mind you, logical non sequiturs seem to be in company in exabyte's post.

"Was Hitler an evil person then?"

Yes

"The personification of evil itself?"

Huh? How would he be that?

"Certainly not - he liked children, he liked animals..."

Well, he liked SOME children; he rather despised a whole lot more. But what the heck does any of that matter? What a nice and simple world it would be if all evil people were so UTTERLY evil that every single thing they do is depraved and disgusting. Nice and easy to spot then, huh? As it is, the world doesn't quite work like that; people are not absolutes and evil is a generic term. Saying someone had their good points does not in any way rule out someone like Hitler from being declared evil.

"The problem is that he became mighty and that his conviction killed millions of people and ruined the lives of unnumbered others."

That's certainly a problem.

"But after all, it wasn't him alone who killed them, he could never have done it, nobody would remember his name, if not so many people thought what he did was "good". "

Nope, it was not him alone. There were a lot of evil people working with him as well. And yes, he would not have been able to do what he did, and would not be as famous as he was, were it not for the aid of these evil people. That they did not think what they did was evil, I don't give a tiny toss about.

"It's easy to say now "Hitler is evil""

Yup...

" - but what if there hadn't been a Hitler?"

Huh? How does that follow from the first statement?

"Then somebody else would have come and maybe have made even worse things."

Or maybe not- what the heck difference does that sentence make to the ease of saying Hitler is evil? If he had been worse, then he would have been evil to. If not worse, maybe not. Where was this meant to be leading?

Evil is a tricky judgment call to make, as the most you can normally say is that a person has done a lot of evil things, or not, or whatever, but some people are SO evil you can call them that in firm belief that it is not an inaccurate term. Hitler is one such person.

Ushgarak
ANY form?

Self-defence to save yourself? Be careful about speaking in such broad terms.

Exabyte
Justifiable things don't necessarily have to be right - in my opinion, killing is the personification of everything that was called "wrong" in this thread erm it harms others, but most of all those tho didn't do anything - for somebody who attacks you and who is killed by you in self-defence, it probably won't matter that he's dead anyways, but those that suffer are "innocents" - his relatives, his friends. How can that be right?

What about capital punishment? Is it "justice" to kill people because some others confirmed that he did something wrong ?

BingaBonga
Yes, I do believe that it's one of the ways to define evil.

The Omega

Victor Von Doom
'So an evil act is independent on whether or not the one doing the act takes pleasure in the act or not.'

I take it you mean dependent. In English law, necessity is described as a lesser evil to avoid a greater one.

I think the problem with discussing abstracts is you can disagree without actually fundamentally thinking differently.

BingaBonga
Victor< Well, somewhat...

Reborn Again
Evil is conducting yourself in an immoral way. However, certain people would disagree with this point. Take for example a criminal's way of thinking. Now they would think how they conduct themselves is not against their moral being. It might be against the norm, but not against their typical thinking patterns, thus they are not immoral. The person who does not conduct themselves as the criminal will seem it differently. He/she will see the criminal as evil; that the criminal is conducting himself immorally. Once again, the good vs evil concept comes into play. Two sides of the coin.

The Omega

Victor Von Doom
Oh I see, it was just clumsily phrased, independent 'on'.

Yeah, debates are never going to be anything but frustrating if there is no certainty.

Alpha Centauri

Reborn Again
Did he now? I think you're barking up the wrong tree, AC. Hitler didn't consider his acts evil, he seriously thought he was cleansing the world of an evil race, namely the Jews. And purifying his own people to live into a new age. And historians say, the Nazi regime was the best fortified army in existence with a completely unified front, second only to the Roman Empire. Hitler brought a country back from the brink of destruction into a major power. You have to admire the man for that.

§words point
the salem witch trials were justified the were witches

FBI_AgentMulder
I think its a simplistic, absolutist construct that people use to reduce the cognetive burden that relativism would otherwise impose.

Quite simply IMO there is no such thing. Its a fallacy. IMO moral saints and moral devils are non existent, because all do what they deem to be correct and morally good, if we agree or not is down entirely to us, and not an property of theirs, rather, one we assign to them subjectively.
Society defines evil as that which impedes society.
Individuals define evil as that which doesnt agree with them.
I say that everyone is evil to some degree, because nobody has good motives.

BingaBonga
FBI AgentMulder: How do you define evil?

FBI_AgentMulder
Ok, Evil is inflicting suffering on any sentinent being

While, Good is reducing or eliminating suffering of any sentinent being

So called "evil", as Plato mentioned arives from the lack of education. It is also derived through malnourished thinking. This is where environmental role plays. It also depends on what the person believes is right and sincerely believe what they are doing somehow benefits the world or a certain someone, group, etc

BingaBonga
FBI AgentMulder: How do you define a person being evil? The same thing?

ragesRemorse
i think evil is when you hit your funnybone, or stub your toe on the edge of a door, or when you wake up with a killer heart burn. evil is bad and sux really really bad, i hate you evil

BingaBonga
but what is evil?

shaber
The Nazis started on most of their acts that are generally disapproved of when Europe was under martial law. That circumstance produces a much lower level of general depravity than peace time can.

Quoting: <<"not every creep in Gotham wears a purple suit">> no expression

Alpha Centauri
"Did he now? I think you're barking up the wrong tree, AC. Hitler didn't consider his acts evil, he seriously thought he was cleansing the world of an evil race, namely the Jews. And purifying his own people to live into a new age. And historians say, the Nazi regime was the best fortified army in existence with a completely unified front, second only to the Roman Empire. Hitler brought a country back from the brink of destruction into a major power. You have to admire the man for that."

I didn't say Hitler considered his acts evil. Read what I wrote carefully. Whether he thought them right or not, he clearly knew that people would oppose him. Yet he continued, with the intention of carrying out his will and removing all who get in his way.

-AC

finti
dont admire the man but the will of the German people to work as a fellowship for the good of the country....................sadly someone had to suffer for this though

§nakehead
You seem very intellegent. and you are correct

§nakehead
You dont understand. Stealing jewlry is not evil but murdering is.

shaber
Nothing justifies setting up a police state! Hitler was not admirable, neither are any totalitarians.

finti
and Adolf wore stupid looking uniforms too, had the man no sense of fashion either. The dumb brute

The Omega

shaber
More likely they think they're better, but not stronger

The Omega

finti
racism is found in all layers regardles race. It is just that the focus is always on those right winged whities, mainly caue they are the ones whining in the media all the time.

Fire
Finti is right

evil is a very strong word and I dont think anyone can be totaly evil no matter what they have done.

§nakehead
hate hitler all you want. But hes ones one of the greates military geniouses in the world

shaber
Which is why his strategies amounted to defeat roll eyes (sarcastic)

§nakehead
excuse me but have you ever heard of the black panthers?

shaber
There's a black american "national socialist" group too. But that is copying a former <<"white">> ideology messed

shaber
lol, only the ones most detached from reality think they're "uber-people!"

Most who are hostile to immigrants amongst the British (nowadays) feel threatened because they feel weaker than the immigrants.

finti
other German officers made up the plans based on his ideas, it was when he stopped listening to the Generals and other officers and executed his own plans and military strategy that they went down the drain. He was a good manipulator with big ideas, but as a military strategist he was totally helpless without the aid of his loyal high ranking officers.

hobbit_dude
lol

sonofasaiyan
I think it's a matter of perspective. We designate others trying to disrupt our way of life as enemies and by extension, evil. I feel anyone who tries to get in my way whether I'm doing good or evil, which I might believe is good as an enemy, an evil enemie. But that's just me.devil or angel??

Manôkhâu
What is Evil?
In many "Religions", the Devil is represented of Evil.

but....no, I am. evil face

Fiery Eyes
Satan is evil!! God is good.

vaya_the_elf
Evil is anything that enjoys hurting others... and never want to help or make someone feel better, but only harm them...

mailedbypostman
Evil is anything that enjoys the harm or death of others.
P.s. if you like discussions you might want to check out http://www.blizzforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

shaber
Dr Robert Hare has leant a concrete definition to the term 'psychopath' by deciphering that the areas of their brains associated with emotion do not function. Therefore the whole idea of confusing badness and mania is an infantile mistake; all bad people are warped in some way, but that does not make them any less culpable. Therefore the system has excused some people for haveing dysfunctional brains, but executing others despite their meeting the same criteria.

wuteva
As mentioned before, the ones who are naturally born killers, or "saveiours" like Hitler, are insane.
I don't think evil exists. Heaven and Hell don't exist. Such justice is only invented by humans. Most people are hurting others for their own good, for example, at work, people lie about others, so they can get more credit. Is that necesairily evil, or just selfishness?
How about wild animals? They kill everday, because they have no choise. Is that evil, or just nature?

pr1983
i believe when u r born u r inherently good or bad, and what happens afterwards can change u.

me, i was born bad, i go through each day thinking the most vividly bad thoughts about the people i care about, but why dont i act on them? i have a horrible temper, i was born with it and the smallest thing sets me off. when i argue with my girlfriend, she says something particularly hurtful, whats stopping me hitting her? for the record i have never and would never hit a woman, and if i knew a man hit a woman i cared about there would be serious retribution. But what is this voice in my head telling me not to hit her? what compels me to punch the wall instead? i believe i was born bad, but i was affected in a way to make me try to be the best person i can be.

tell me, do i seem like an evil person?

wuTa
i think everyone has thoughts like that i know i do......its only human...thats not evil..thats violence and humans are violent by nature...besides if you dont act on it you cant say your evil....thats like saying i thought about breaking the law so should i be arrested?

pr1983
but what about when the bad notions and compulsions are outweighing everything else, u should not be arrested obviously, but what kind of person does that make you to be swamped by so much vioence and fear and even sometimes hate?

wuTa
violence, fear, and hate all are pretty much the same thing.....i'd call them acts of frustration not evil.....when these feelings outwiegh everything else than your obvsiouly goin through a frustrated and difficult time but like i said before everyone is going to go through times like these....i guess its on how far your willing to go to act on these frustrations that would make you evil...bad thoughts dont make people evil...bad acts do if that makes any sense

pr1983
yeah, but the thing is, these thoughts are permanent regardless of mood or circumstance, am i permanently frustrated? for as long as i can remember?

i do get where your coming from and maybe its our acts not our thoughts that define us

MegaHarrison
Evil does not truely exist. Neither does good. They are merely actions which our various society views as such. It was considered evil to interacial marriage a while back in America. It was considered evil to harbor Jews in Germany. It is obvious that morals, good, and evil are open to question. Our concepts of evil change with the progression of civilization.

pr1983
but surely there are primal things that all humans consider good and evil?

Darth Revan
MAYBE killing. But that's really the only thing I can think of that all humans consider evil... Even then it depends on the circumstance.

pr1983
true, almost everything else is open to interpretation. but i think there will always be constants like murder, rape and paedophilia that will be generally considered bad, whether they're evil is up to a persons point of view.

finti
killing aint always evil

pr1983
ok, wrong word, i meant murder in cold blood

lady_la_kali
evil is the absence of good, god created only good, evil exist and therefore logically god does not exist or god is not benevolent

peterKSL
god created only good? who told u that?

peterKSL
If I were to say that humans created robots, which are suppose to be good, and they acted bad unpredictedly, then humans don't exist??

debbiejo
If you live on a farm, then Roosters are evil evil face

Evil I tell ya

Red X
I am ! eek!

lady_la_kali
well if god is so called all loving and benevolent etc then why would he create suffering, if he in fact didnt not create evil then why does he not abolish it or does he not have the power then he is not omnipotent, and if he did create evil then how is that all loving? all im saying is that if he is the all loving god that he is made out to be then he would have only have created good right or would at least in the interest of humanity abolish evil.. i mean if he is omnipotent then he would have the power to have us all live in perfect harmony and paradise.

peterKSL
Do you think, you, can understand all his motives? Don't judge when you don't even know...

The only evil is us... for all evil comes from mankind.. Harmony and paradise could be a nightmare, if there wasn't something to refresh us...
It is the feeling of fear, that brought us together... People form communities, communicate more, because of fear alone...

If there was no terrorist in this world, do you think we would be able to defend ourselves, if there was another species invading us? (aliens, animals)..??

peterKSL
"Evil is a joke in the eyes of the wise. It is nothing other than a tool for learning purposes.." quoted by peterKSL

Filth
Both good and evil are opinions, nothing more nothing less.

Jackie Malfoy
Evil is someone who does not have any mortals and will do anything to live a evil life by different things and knowing that someday they will go to hell for there sins!JM

Fire
thenwhat is an evil life JM?

peterKSL
In Harry porter, Malfoy was the evil person/family... watch out Jackie!!! laughing out loud

Filth
Evil is only an opinion, what you clas as evil others may not.

peterKSL
Exactly..

Victor Von Doom
Few people in here taking philosophy 101 I see.

debbiejo
Evil is being closed minded....

BackFire
This is evil.

BlackC@t
What kind of freak sticks thier arm out when greeting people? erm
Honestly rolleyes1...

shaber
quite alot of people.

SaTsuJiN
Evil is having a mal-intent or being wicked in thought, having the inate desire to bring about misery and suffering to those around you.

Evil
Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.

Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor diet.

Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.

Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous: an evil reputation.

Characterized by anger or spite; malicious: an evil temper.

Capt_Fantastic
I would say that evil is an overwhelming apathy coupled with an exaggeration of forceful ideals. Basically a passion for not caring.

lil bitchiness
Evil is subjective, depending on which side you are. theres no deffinition to it. If person is doing something and things he/she is not evil or that his/her actions are not evil, then their actions will be evil to some people and not to the others.

Thus, evil, just like truth, is sjubective and cannot be defined.

Capt_Fantastic
But, there are still absolute truths based on the human condition. Things that don't change or exist in certainty.

Alpha Centauri
There are some people who don't believe those absolutes though. Unless they can be factually proven beyond all doubt, won't be absolute.

-AC

Capt_Fantastic
Well, I'm talking about things like, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. That's why my definition of evil is a total sense of apathy. You can kill someone, and feel sorry for it or regret it. But if you kill someone and don't care that you've taken another life, then that would be my definition of evil.

lil bitchiness
Yeah, what AC said.

If you and i are sat at the table and you see the apple and i see the pear who is right and who is wrong?

If you see one and i see the other, then thats our truths - who is right? Its subjective...theres no absolutes.

Alpha Centauri
Well if it is actually a pear then you would be right.

As for the moider thing, that might not be evil to someone. So again, not absolute.

-AC

lil bitchiness
But who will know, if one sees one and the other sees another.

This is an example - a simple example of a more complex issue - and the point is, that the truth is not the same to everyone.

Capt_Fantastic
Well, that's symantics. My example of the sun rising in the east and setting in teh west could only be argued if we want to disagree on which direction is east and which is west. But certain things are established. Things like numbers and mathematics are facts. In fact most of the world is numbers. But, the point of what you're saying...I thinkn is that you see an apple and I see a pear...but the absolute truth is that it's fruit.

Reality is not subjective, our perception of it might be, but that doesn't change reality.

lil bitchiness
No, sorry, we're not gonna agree on this.

I think there is no such thing as an absolute truth - also, the numbers themselfs are not facts. And the world is not made up of fact.

Everything is open to interpretation in my opinion - and here we are displaying exactly that - you are seeing one side and i am seeing the other. to you your argument is the truth, to me my argument is the truth (about truth wacko )

The thing about evil is - its subjective - depending on who you are and which side of the fence you're standing on.

Capt_Fantastic
It's okay if we don't agree. That's fine. I still love you.

But, the world is made of numbers. The world is made of nature. And if you examine nature, you will find a symetry to it. and symetry cannot exist with out numbers.

lil bitchiness
happy

Actually, the numbers comment i made, i probably souldnt have since i dont know a great deal about it.

We cant all agree on everything, its coolness. wink

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>