Palpatine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sand person no. 10
Do you think palpatine will actually ever fight anyone during the course of the next 2 films. Bear in mind maul must have learnt his fighting skills from someone, but i find it difficult to believe that palpatine taught him that. When ob1 and anakin confront him (which they must undoubtedly do, well at least anakin) will it be dooku who does the fighting and palpatine the manipulating. i.e. anakin turns to anger to defeat dooku and palpatine uses the old chestnut of "the only way to defeat me is to gove into your anger".

thoughts please.

LanceWindu
I don't believe we'll see Palpy fighting.

Julie
I don't either, but he might fry somebody......once he declares himself emperor though....you never know.

Ushgarak
Personally, I can only wonder about how Yoda was ever defeated.

yerssot
no fight... I hope

Ushgarak
I really don't see why not. I don't see any value in making him only show his power in ROTJ and I cannot beleive he does not make a single personal move by the end of the trilogy- enough to scare Yoda himself.

JediOasis
I hope we see Palpatine do more than just talk. I don't really want to see him use a lightsaber but some force lightening would be nice. Hopefully he fries a Jedi or two.

Julie
Well that's an unpleasant thought.........evil evil face

would be interesting though

yerssot
well, it would be a complete shock in the end to find out he has those evil powers

Ushgarak
First of all, I question that; the tone of the classic films is that everyone knows that the Emperor has vast powers.

Secondly. we have already SEEN them, yerss! There IS no shock! Andnthere is no point trying to preserve it.

yerssot
that's for the ones that saw the OT already, I know a few people who have seen TPM and NOT the OT

master harmax
I didn't know Yoda was defeated by anyone ... why is it neccessary to assume that Yoda was defeated by Palpatine ?

Ushgarak
Yerss, it doesn't MATTER that some people haven't seen the OT That has nothing to do with it. GL is not in the business of keeping surprises in the OT just for them. But it wouldn;t even matter if NO-ONE had seen the OT; the point is that they are previous films. These are true prequels; they are all made with the fact that the subsequent episodes have already been shown in mind. Otherwise there is little point in making them. As has already been disucssed, numerous OT events have already been blown out by TPM alone. The central surprise- vader being Luke's father- is ruined by the PT. You must look at these films from that point of view- although they are set before the OT, they are designed to ADD to it, not keep surprises in it.

Harmax, if Yoda was not defeated then I don't see how anything could have happened to the Jedi. And Yoda speaks fearfully of Palpatine.

queeq
I dunno. The Jedi could have been beaten and maybe Yoda saw no chance how he alone could defeat Palpy's powers and forces, so he decided to go into exile. Not odd if the likes of Mace get slaughtered.

master harmax
It's a tricky point - it could work both ways - yoda might have been defeated, which could be a good cause for the near total destruction of the jedi - or he might not have been actually defeated, but as queeq says, yoda, alone by himself would not have the capacity to take on palpatine, vader and the whole army at their command on his own.

Actually, believe it or not, i was wondering about something along very similar lines and I was going to post a thread about it tomorrow, and that is ....

How did Obi Wan and Yoda survive the time period of twenty years between the period of the end of ep.3 to a ANH ?

The thing is we know that Vader "helped the empire" to hunt down and eliminate all the jedi ...

but why were obi wan and yoda left out of the purge ? you could argue that obi wan in his prime could have defeated Vader - ok, maybe .... but surely even obi wan AND yoda combined would not be able to defend themselves OR survive for long if Vader + Palpatine with the imperial forces at their command made it their mission in life to hunt down and exterminate them.

So my question is ... how did Yoda and Obi Wan manage to survive for all those years ?

Ushgarak
Good planning? I will be surprised if we seer it in detail but I suspect the Empire did not know that Yoda was still aliuve.

Obviously, I cannot be certain that we will see Yoda defeated. But it Yoda is set up as the super-dude in Ep. II, it follows naturally that this is to contrast a defeat in Ep. III

Gundark
Actually I could always buy the idea of Yoda being able to hide on Dagobah with all the life forms there to cover his force sense....but Obi Wan and Luke on the same planet....that's a little harder to hide.

I hope Palpatine does some real fighting....I think by the time ROTJ rolls around, he's so used to having Vader do all the fighting for him, he can just sit on his duff and use his force lightning.

master harmax
Well somehow i find it difficult to believe, that someone like palpatine, whose so powerful with the dark side of the force that he could live amongs the like of the supreme jedi of his time like yoda, mace windu etc. for years on end, without letting anyone of them feel anything wierd about him - a guy who had the power to seduce anakin skywalker ( the chosen one with the highest midiclorean count ) to the dark side - that so powerful a being would not be able to sense that Yoda was still alive - i think that's kinda stretching it a bit.

And what about Obi Wan ? How did he manage to evade the emperor, vader and the imperial army for 20 whole years ?

It's going to take some nifty piece of story telling to get around this one i think ?

Also, it would be a shame to see Yoda get his ass kicked by Palpatine - that would not be a good sight, let me tell u. sad

Amidala
big grin That is an easy one. A galaxy is a very large place, most of which has never been explored - sith or no sith it is hard to track down two people of that skill level when they dont want to be found. This may be in slightly bad taste but the analogy serves it's purpose. I would say it would be easier for the U.S. to find a certain saudi gentleman on one planet than to find two people in a galaxy and that isnt going to well.

It is also obvious that the force is not an unrelenting channel of information. For instance:

Palpatine did not know who else trained luke until they met in ROTJ and he coaxed it out of him that it was yoda, the emperor was a little shocked. ( it is in the book - should have been in the movie )

All of the Jedi dont sense that palpatine is a sith lord even though he is talking to them in the same room. ( assuming he is offcourse )

So you see my point, it isnt just a matter of sensing where they are at.

The reason that Ob1 and Yoda live and the rest dont is also pretty simple. It is because of the twins. Both Yoda and Ob1 realise the gravity of the situation they face. The Republic is now ruled by the Sith backed up by an enormous amount of Cloned warriors. The twins are the only hope they have in rebuilding the Jedi order and destroying the Sith long term so they cut their losses, protect the twins and hide out until the time is right.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.