nirvana are one of the worst grunge bands ever

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fearnix
they suck they had 2 good songs heart shaped box and breed all others suck and they are to over rated mad

edit//

nirvana* embarrasment

Df02
i love you!

Fearnix
i love you too hunney bunney

SeptemberRain
if u say Nirvana sucked, then who was a good grunge band

Darth Revan
First of all, I don't think they're grunge. Second, yes they are overrated but saying they're actually bad isn't true...

SeptemberRain
yes, they are grunge they helped create that style of music.

Fearnix
alice in chains and sound garden are so good grunge

Fearnix
no they gave grunge a bad name

Kaleanae
I think Green River was the first Grunge Band
They were the first commercial Grunge band EDIT- forgot to add Nirvana in here

Fearnix
nirvana that is

Df02
Pearl Jam, Alice in chains 2 name 2 much much better grunge bands....
Nirvana are like the England of music...

England invented footbal, but theyre shit at it

Fearnix
good some one who knows about grunge smile

Kaleanae
Pearl Jam it is one of the best, but they don't get too much credit, I think

Darth Revan
They didn't consider themselves grunge. They made "Nevermind" because they were pissed at the media for calling them grunge.

Df02
they made music identical to grunge....so they cant really moan about being called grunge haha

Alpha Centauri
Soundgarden gave us one of the greatest bands ever let alone in Grunge. Not to mention Chris Cornell. Arguably the greatest singer ever.

Nirvana do not suck, overrated yes.

-AC

Evil Dead
I think somebody just wanted attention.......

I respect the opinion of nobody who actually seriously uses the word "grunge" to describe a genre of music. The word was made up by the media.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc........all were rock bands. That's right, good ol' American Rock 'N' Roll.......

grunge is an adjective which means dirty. If you're going to comment on Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder or Chris Cornell's hygiene being less than perfect.........you might want to take a look at the rest of the rock industry of the time, hell, even today.

oh yes....Nirvana is so horrible. That's why they single handedly changed the direction of the music industry with the release of their second album. Without them, you may not have even heard of bands that later became famous if not for Nevermind killing the pop-metal-hairbands. Instead of the Jeremy video on mtv you would have been seeing another Def Leppard video. Instead of the Black Hole Sun video you would have been seeing another Warrant video.

This is all of course assuming you're actually in your mid-twenties or older and were into the music scene back then. I know it sounds funny but from time to time we actually do get teenage kids coming in here commenting on music of the early nineties....even though they were only 2-3 yrs old at the time. They normally just come in and spout of some stuff they've read on a website or something.....you know, their research being as they weren't even around during the period they are discussing. Crazy isn't it..........

Df02
so hearing the music at the time it was made makes any difference to anything? beleive it or not i wasnt that old in the 90's, but i still know about them...throught *drum roll please* general knowledge, conversations with people who were, etc etc...

Grunge means dirty, Metal is a classification of elements....ur point? theyre genre's through media intervention or not, theyre genre's...
Nirvana steered music away from hair-metal, and i thank them for that (altho i do like def leppard and few other bands of that ilk). but what has that got to do with the quality of music they created? they steered music in a different direction, doesnt necesarilly mean they were a good band.... and it says on name of this thread "one of worst grunge bands ever" not "one of the least influential"

i stick to my comment, they invented grunge...but they werent good at it

Alpha Centauri
I refer to it as Grunge coz I'm used to it. Fair enough it may not be a completely correct label for the genre but it's an acceptable one. If I was disrespecting the freaking awesome artists and bands it gave us I could understand. However, Soundgarden are one of my favourite bands and alongside Maynard, Chris is my fav singer. Layne up there also. A.I.C are unbelievable.

I don't think you should slander ALL teens man. Going around this forum looking at my posts I doubt any of you would have guessed I'm 18. Only just also. Well, last Dec.

I think the music a lot of the people my age are into are shit. Mostly because they like to have the thinking done for them. Me? I like to know what's going on in the world in which I live and I like to use my brain. I love the music I own and listen to because it has enhanced my life ever since I have been into it and will till the day I depart.

What the topic is however, is Nirvana being "shit". They aren't, they were and are an incredible band. Overrated yes but shit? No. People who were fans have been turned off their favourite band because of all the crap bandwagon fans who jumped on after he died and the band split. If Chris Cornell died and all these dumb kids started saying "He is the best." I'd know it was shit, but what matters to me is that I love the music he made with his bands, the musicians they are and the musician he was. So incase that is why you are fuelled to start this topic, think again and don't let morons drive you away from your life's music. Coz then you really have to question how much of a fan you are anyway.

-AC

Df02
not really a bandwagon......i never thought Nirvana were good, influential...but not good, always listened to Alice in chains and Pearl Jam instead.

Evil Dead
just their age wasn't my point Alpha. There is no way I'm buying that kids today who talk about "best/worst bands of that era" even listened to all the bands of that era. Hell, even I didn't listen to all of them. They've probably only listened to the top 5 or 6.

If somebody doesn't like Nirvana.......fine. That's their preference. We're all different and like different music. To say that some guy went back 14 years and listened to hundreds of bands to decide who was the best or the worst, however, I don't buy for a second.

Corlindel
cool thumb up

Victor Von Doom
Nirvana are great: they are also overrated.

AIC and Soundgarden are the pinnacle of 'grunge' for me. I'd put Nirvana above Pearl Jam.

The term was coined by the media- then again, so were more or less all of them. The term 'metal' was coined by William Burroughs, interstingly enough.

SeptemberRain
I hate Pearl Jam

moonwalker741
I like nirvana, there not that bad, but i dont rele know any other grunge bands, but and i dont even listen to grunge that much.

SeptemberRain
Chris Cornell(SoundGarden) has an amazing voice, it can get such a good range

tabby999
evil dead, i dont think that grunge "killed" glam metal and hair metal. it was already on the way out, the musicians knew that, the record companys knew that, shit, they saw Nirvana were gonna be the next big thing and went "perfect, an exscuse" and when Nirvana blew the scene open, blamed them for "killing glam." if it wasn't Nirvana then it'd have been something else.

and on the topic of wether Nirvana are shit or not, i cant help, i never bothered getting into "grunge" it never did anything for me, so i never listened to more than a few nirvana/a.i.c/pearl jam songs.

finti
grunge was adopted from punk bith lyricaly and musicaly using the sounds of 70`s black metal as a foundation.
Mudhoney, Soundgarden and off course Green River was the first so called grunge band. Nirvana joined this grunge club later on in what is called the second wave. Nirvana was more melodic and actually turned mainstream. But most of all grunge was all about independence very much like its "relative" Punk.

But I wouldnt call Nirvana S*it though, not my fav but they had some bad ass tunes

Fearnix
i am 16 witch is pretty ****ing young but i hate most of the music of my generation the 70s 80s and early 90s is when all the good music came out now most young people listen to the music there friends lisen to and i am so pi**ed off at them for giving me and my friends such a bad name

P.S Pearl Jam suck ass

Fearnix
Nirvana wanted to be the pixies so bad

Kaleanae
I love music from the early and mid 90s, I wish I could back again stick out tongue

Fearnix
calvin: step into my amazing time travelling machine
hobbes: but that looks JUSt like your transmogrifier..
calvin: yeah, but we climbed UNDER the transmogrifier, you climb on top of this.
hobbes: oh.

Black Onyx
they gave grunge its music title

the dictonary gave grunge a bad name

Darth Revan
Pearl Jam rock... So do Nirvana...

Fearnix
nirvana are shit all they did for music was give it a bad name and get little kids to say there in to grunge

Darth Revan
I honestly don't know what you're talking about. To me, at least, Nirvana is one of those bands that I don't see how you could NOT like. But hey, you're entitled to your own opinion.

Fearnix
i used to like them but then i heard good music

i dont mean to offend anybody i am just saying my view of them

Alpha Centauri
"just their age wasn't my point Alpha. There is no way I'm buying that kids today who talk about "best/worst bands of that era" even listened to all the bands of that era. Hell, even I didn't listen to all of them. They've probably only listened to the top 5 or 6"

Because you were around and didn't doesn't mean that people my age or even slightly younger, don't. My parents don't even know all of the bands back in the 70s, 80s. Yet they are still allowed to judge who they think are the best. They can only go by what they've heard though. Had they been into Led Zeppelin or The Cure or Faith No More things would have been different. They weren't though. Admittedly most listen to shit music, I don't. I know I don't. Alot of the bands I love are older bands. Regardless of when I was born, if I love and understand the music created over that time I have the right to throw out my opinion on who I believe the best to be.

One thing a rabid music fan should know is that music is timeless. So you saying that they can't judge being that they weren't around in that era is silly. No matter when I listen to "The Real Thing" by Faith No More, it sounds the same. Genius, as it did then, does now and will do in 20 years.

-AC

Evil Dead
you must have missed the second paragraph to that post.........

Fearnix
i agree just coz i am young dose not mean i should lisen to music of my time

Evil Dead
I agree 100%.......music is timeless. I love music that was made before my time. My favorite band is the Sex Pistols.......I love Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pink Floyd, AC/DC (Bon Scott)............all before my time.

I was just stating that I wouldn't have any right to go back and declare some band the worst of the sixties or the seventies........because I wasn't there and obviously didn't listen to all the bands of that era to make an informed decision. I'm sure for every band of that era I dislike there are atleast 50 more who are worse than them.......that I've never even heard of.

Fearnix
i love Pink Floyd they are great

Alpha Centauri
"I was just stating that I wouldn't have any right to go back and declare some band the worst of the sixties or the seventies........because I wasn't there and obviously didn't listen to all the bands of that era to make an informed decision. "

Some aren't necessary to know although I see your point. If you looked back at bands today in 30 years or 20 years. You would only have to listen to a few to know the best. You wouldn't have to listen to Blink 182 or whatever.

-AC

moshtitan
i agree with Evil Dead here. its wrong to judge a band of an era of time you werent around in to experiance,unless you really know or at least try to know all of the bands of a time before making your judgement. and you would have to listen to Blink 182(in ex.) before making a desicion such as calling them one of the worst or best bands of the pop punk genre, because they are in that genre. leaving any bands out of the listening process is a mistake because music is based largley upon opinion. if a person left blink out, they might be leaving out the most amazing bands THEY have ever heard, therefore they wouldnt be making an informed decision.

Black Onyx
pearl jam kick ass big grin

Alpha Centauri
"if a person left blink out, they might be leaving out the most amazing bands THEY have ever heard, therefore they wouldnt be making an informed decision"

Yeah but that borders on impossibility though man. I haven't and will never read every book there is. But if I read one that I think is my favourite ever, or the best ever. Then I have that right. Because it's not like I can read all the books ever just to say "Right, I've read em all and I now know that I wasn't right in my call." It's impractical man. There could have been one of the best bands during the "Grunge" era, that never even made it out of their Garage and we'd never know about it. I can't go and listen to them so I have to go by what I know. As does everyone. Which is the point of it all.

-AC

Orlibabe
NIRVANA was the best grunge band....................................
and kurt cobain was the best of all singers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool

amity75
Nirvana didn't really do much for me at the time. I thought Pearl Jam were much more interesting and worship them to this day. If Kurt hadn't written "Smells like teen spirit" (Which it must be argued is a complete rip off of Boston's "More than a feeling"wink then Nirvana wouldn't have received half the attention they got.

Alpha Centauri
"NIRVANA was the best grunge band....................................
and kurt cobain was the best of all singers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Alice In Chains were the best Grunge band and Chris Cornell was the best Grunge singer by far. He'd split Kurt in half with his vocals.

"Nirvana wouldn't have received half the attention they got."

Yeah but alot of bands have that breakthrough hit. During this time they usually gather fans that are true and end up fading away, sorta like Cave-In did. Gather true fans and shit fans and then find themselves compromising their music for more money. Or they just do as The Darkness have done from all the time after they had their huge worldwide hit "I Believe In A Thing Called Love". They kept all their true fans for the most part. Made a believer out of old naysayers yet have gathered more than the average share of morons.

My point being that Nirvana did the latter. Bit unfair to say that because of that one song they are as highly acclaimed musically as they are. They are highly praised for that song coz for many it started the Grunge movement.

-AC

Orlibabe
Alpha Centauri SAID..."NIRVANA was the best grunge band....................................
and kurt cobain was the best of all singers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

thumbup

Orlibabe
and also said...Alice In Chains were the best Grunge band and Chris Cornell was the best Grunge singer by far. He'd split Kurt in half with his vocals.

thumbdown

purity
what is wronge with you people?Nirvana is one of the bands that gave grunge the name it has, and without them there wouldn't be most of the bands we have today. with that, I disagree, Nirvana is one of the greatest bands around even in todays music.

Red Superfly
I love how you people think your opinions are facts.

I'm with Evil Dead on this whole arguement. I never really classified any band as anything. If I liked the sound, I listened to it. I like Nirvana, Sound Garden AND Alice in Chains just as much as each other.

Big deal, so you don't like Nirvana. You think they are over-rated. Your opinion.

I can't believe how much arrogance is put forward when people "know" they are right.

I like rock music, I play rock music, but I refuse to become some stuck-up music know-it-all who decides to diss a band despite their success. Have these people ever been in a successful band, and made it big? Several very talented friends of mine spent four years tourring in a band, and have recently packed it in because it is THAT hard to get ahead on your musical merits rather than your marketability.

Music snobs, I can't stand 'em, they all have opinions. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and they're usually full of shit.

Silver Stardust
I love Nirvana. I'm 18, and I grew up listening to Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, etc...that was the music of my childhood. And I still love it.

Cyclops
Nirvana? Bad? blink

Since when?

ragesRemorse
I was always one who never really liked Nirvana. It just inst my type of music, but even i respect there music, and can find inspiration in it. Regaurdless of what everyone says about the band, they diddnt want to be a threat, they diddnt want to blow up the punk culture and inspire anarchy. they just wanted to play some music. Nirvana cared about there music, and could give two shits about there image.Kurt was troubled guy who relates to many teens and young adults,I think when he realized this, the drugs, depression, and pressure became to much for him. either way there music is raw and flows with emotion, they diddnt care about slogans, trends or the media eye, in the end they just wanted to play some music, and even though i dont like the genre they did this, and did it well

Spicy_Mchaggis
first of all, pearl jam is not grunge. nirvana does not suck. they might be overrated but they do not suck.

Darth Revan
Well said thumb up

I think we can all learn something from Kurt Cobain... He was one of the few celebrities who always remained true to himself and his music.

Orlibabe
kurt cobain was kind of crazy you know killed him self... but as a singer he was very good and original...

finti
examples please!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont just state things without giving some examples to back up the statement

strange thing is when Pearl jam got a Grammy for best HardRock act the bassist took the mic and stated "Heavy Rock? we are grunge man, grunge" Peculiar that you know better the genre of Pearl Jam better than the members of the bandroll eyes (sarcastic) big grin

I totally agree with Red Fly and Evil Dead on this matter

Fearnix
i am not the kind of person to hate just any band for any reason.
Nirvana were so overated and when people call kurt the best singer ever it ****s me off he was a shit singer who have no heart in the music and had the skill of a toy bike

finti
his vocie wasnt the greatest but it suited the music they played

Fearnix
yeah it went with the music ant thats about all it went with

finti
well they scored some major hit though, and Kurt is considered an icon so........they did something right

Darth Jello
first of all kiddies, "grunge" was first played by Flipper back in 81 and it wasn't called that until soundgarden came along. secondly, nirvana was never really a "grunge" band. they reminded me a lot more of the stooges or the circle jerks than they did of alice in chains. Nirvana were wonderful because they put a lot of emotion into music despite not having Eddie Van Halen skills or whatever. Plus they were responsible for the demise of a whiney, pathetic, egotistical p*ssy named Axel Rose so that's always good. the only things that piss me off about nirvana are that no one recognizes just how immature and selfish kurt could be and that their greatest songs still haven't been released.

Fearnix
finti just because they have hits dose not make them good spice girls had hit so did backstreet boys

golden moon
i agree smokin'

tabby999
while people may say "pearl jam/soundgarden/alice in chains are the best grunge bands, not nirvana" i dont see any of them bands making a song that so influenced the music industry like Smells Like Teen Spirit

finti
true, but if you read further on in my post I said Kurt became an icon not many achieve that kind of status, besides the hits Nirvana had were actually good. At least they were very refreshing at that time

finti
well they broke the charts with that one, sometimes bands do get a major hit and get credit for starting a genre even if other bands have been working real hard to make the genre worth listening too. Soundgarden, Mudhoney deserve credit for really going a differnt way and there must be no doubt that the Nirvana trio was very much influenced by these first wave of grunge bands, Nirvana put a more melodic sound to there tunes like they aimed more for the charts rather than the indie scene the other bands targeted.

Fearnix
i like the other members but hated kurt he is such a attention whore

finti
was

Evil Dead
no offense dude.......but you just killed any credibility you had in this topic. You might aswell just stop posting about it now as you've just proven with one sentence that you know absolutely jack shit about the subject.

Kurt Cobain an attention whore? Kurt hated attention.........he was shy and actually had an anxiety disorder. He hated fame......he ****ing killed himself because he couldn't deal with his fame and celebrity.........

you sir just posted the stupidest thing in this thread so far.........cheers to you.

finti
laughing out loud wel put ED laughing out loud it made my day

Fearnix
how the **** can you say i dont know what i am talking about ??

Black Onyx
like this:-

you dont know what your talking about

tabby999
indeed

finti
To put it this way fearnix, by calling KC an attention whore you kind on missed out on the vital fact about Kurt. He shyed away from the media. He hated all the attention he got so Kurt actually was the opposite of an attention whore.

Fearnix
no he acted that way for more attention and used rererse psychology on the media

finti
yeah and the fact that he killed himself really support your argument fearnix roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fearnix
he did not want to fade out so much that he killed himself

Red Superfly
How do you "know" this?

You see, this is exactly what I mean - people saying their opinions are facts.

I'm sure there's a lot more to Mr. Cobain than any of us will ever know, but please, give the guy a break.

He didn't have the greatest voice, in a technical sense, but from an emotional and I guess, spritual sense, his voice worked really well. Sometimes he sounded really forlorn, other times quite upbeat, other times angry.

At least he could sing in a spectrum of emotions, which is lot more than I can say about thousands of popular bands out there past and present.

You have to ask yourself, if he wasn't a great technical artist, what made him so compelling? And maybe you'll find the answer.

If it was that easy to "sell out", everybody would be doing it.

Fearnix
i am not saying what i think i know people think different and they are probably right i just like to spread my views

Black Onyx
no expression pigs flying makes more sence then that staitment mon ami

Fearnix
sorry i dont make much sense i am confused

Black Onyx
that makes to of us happy

Fearnix
smile yay i am not alone

BlackHatDefect
You have no right to say they are bad.Music is all about personal values.I like them a lot personally.Im not into things like 50 Cent,but i can't go say hes the worst ever/that hes overrated.Just because you don't like something dosen't mean there are many out there that do.Like i said in the 50 Cent thread.Repect Nirvana as artists and people at the very least.

finti
off course you can, it is a matter of opinion

Fearnix
yeah i am not saying they are the worst am saying i think they are

Linkalicious
Nirvana rocked....Record sales discredit your claim that they suck. stick out tongue

finti
well B Spears sells a lot of records to and she sucks big time

PippinTook
I think Nirvana's awesome stick out tongue But, you know, we all have our own opinions roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fearnix
there are more dumb people than smart people so of corse nivrana are gonna sell no offence to nivrana fans

finti
how are they not gonna be offenced by that moron post

Woody Woods
how can you say they were the WORST?

when THEY started the genre...

( in response to the thread question)

finti
and what genre might that be????????? and dont say grunge cause Nirvana was the second wave of grunge band

Fearnix
yeah you tell him

tabby999
i still say that no other grunge band have made something like Smells Like Teen Spirit

Df02
yea, theres better grunge songs out there....

Jeremy - PJ
Alive - PJ
Evenflow - PJ
Would? - AIC

to name 4 lol

eezy45
of course they were grunge! and the greatest grunge band ever!

Fearnix
no your wrong

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Nirvana is one of the GREATEST bands ever.

tabby999
none of them have done what Teen Spirit done, and Teen Spirit is indefinatly better

finti
again matter of opinion, not a fact

Df02
and what did Teen spirit do? became popular and overplayed, doesnt necesarilly mean its a better song...
and surely you cant beleive TS is better than any of those songs - AIC and Pearl Jam stand leagues above Nirvana laughing

Red Superfly
OK, this must be the third time I've said this - stop ramming opinions down peoples throats.

The world would be very boring if we all hated Nirvana, or if we all loved Nirvana, or this band, or that band.

golden moon
I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fearnix
but nirvana are shit compered to Alice in Chains

Red Superfly
Ferchris'sakes, READ people!

Fearnix
i cant

Arachnoidfreak
That was the most idiotic thing I have read so far. Opinions are NEVER wrong. You can't prove an opinion wrong. What sounds good to you may sound like shit to someone else.

Nirvana being good or bad is NOT fact, therefore noone is wrong.

I can't stay mad at you though cuz you like NIN. Yea, that was biased, so what?

Fearnix
no in my Opinion they are wrong.....**** face

Arachnoidfreak
Hmm, well that shows how mature you are. Your opinion is now meaningless and insignificant, seeing this shit spew from you. **** face.

Fearnix
and what makes your opinion any greater.**** face

Arachnoidfreak
My opinion isn't greater. My opinion is just that, my opinion. You stated that he was wrong like it was fact. Just cuz you dont like something doesnt make it shit. **** face.

Fearnix
you misinterpreted what i said.**** face

Broken_Johnson
wow, i dont think i have ever seen someone use the word ****face that many times in a row... lol

Fearnix
i know its kool.****face only jokin

Broken_Johnson
alright ***face big grin

Fearnix
i love the word ****face

Broken_Johnson
its ok i guess.... my favorite word is b!tchd!ck

Fearnix
i also like the word clitcunt

Fearnix
my sister called me it

Broken_Johnson
lol...my siblings can never think of any good words... i mean, my brother calls me jackmo no

Fearnix
my sis is a ***** she tried to sab me with scissors in the leg
btw how old is he?

Broken_Johnson

Broken_Johnson
my brother tries stab me with a lot of things, but he's just a b!tchd!ck

Fearnix
lol

Broken_Johnson
zorro

Fearnix
my 8 year old brother kicked my my 16 year old friend in the balls and almost made him cry i pissed my self

Broken_Johnson
lol, kicking people in the balls is still my brothers only form of defense

Fearnix
my sis thinks she can beat me up laughing

Broken_Johnson
how old is your sister?

Fearnix

Broken_Johnson
oh, my sister is 20, but shes cool though

Fearnix
how old are you if you dont mind me asking?

Broken_Johnson
younger then you

Fearnix
what your 3

Broken_Johnson
no expression

Fearnix
6 then

Broken_Johnson
well not that much younger

Fearnix
i am one of the youngests of my friends