What's with the Atkins diet?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Linkalicious
Ok so i was watching a Carl's Jr. commercial and i thought to myself.

What the hell is with every food place adopting this Atkins diet bullcrap?

Do people actually think that not eating the bun is going to make them any healthier? I mean WTF! it's just bread. I know...blah blah blah....gotta cut the carbs....blah blah blah.

How about this for a change.....If you wanna be healthy or lose weight....how about freakin exercise?!

I go to Subway and see these 300 lbs. chicks ordering these Atkins wraps religiously....it makes me sick. How about you stop stuffing your face with that psuedo-pita-bread and get ur fat ass on the treadmill?

Maybe i'm wrong and maybe it's just me....but i think people on the Atkins diets are total clowns.

sauron
well it is quite an effective diet

everyone is picking at it like vultures though

the mirror, just after his dr atkins death,- ATKINS OBESE

which i think was highly disrepectful

lil bitchiness
Atkins diet is very unhealthy...the reason why everyone is into it is because celebrities are.

Kaleanae
yes

Besides, when you cut the carbs, that means that you would not have the opportunity to eat them again because if you do, you gain weight a lot faster blink

Ushgarak
Actually, no-one has yet proven it to be more unhealthy than anything other than specifically healthy diets, although it does give you bad breath.

It almost seems too obvious to say so- but the reason it is so popular is that it works. I am not necessarily advocating or recommending it... but it really does, and its popularity reflects that.

Kaleanae
blink

lil bitchiness
I read this article about this woman, she got paralized because of the atkins diet or something What the f**k? very bizare....

lil bitchiness
Oh and anything that tells you ''cut this out of your diet to become slimmer'' is unhealthy. You just need common sense to tell you that.
Too much of anything can make you fat, doesnt matter what it is...

sauron
atkins gives you bad breath...everyone ending up going on it........i think the hole in the o-zone layer problems ging to get worse in the near future laughing

Ushgarak
But not necessarily more unhealthy than the average diet the average person eats, which is normally in excess where Atkins is in deficit.

Point is, you cannot simply dismiss Atkins as bad because it is unhealthy. It is simply not working out that way for the people who are successfully using it. So long as people know what is going on when they use it, of course.

Raz
Atkins himself proved it's unhealthy. His post-mortem showed he was clinically obese and had heart disease.

sauron
yeah i said that raz..it was from some paper

but who says he was on it....

Ushgarak
Yeah, that might have been relevant... if he had used his own diet!

He didn't. He always said he was an awful advert for his own diet because he could not stick to it.

Raz
Actually I've heard the opposite. He has been telling some people that he's been on it for 30 years.

Ushgarak
I saw him deny it on interview. Well, it was only with Watchdog, but it was still an interview. And even Watchdog- the most paranoid programme of all time- grudgingly conceeded that it worked, though they were wary of possible health risks.

In any case, I doubt any health problems like his can be in any way connected to the diet. Like I say, no-one has yet managed to prove it more unhealthy than the average diet.

Asami
I saw an interview with Dr Atkins recently, he said he'd been on it for 36years.

I thought, ok, I can sacrifice the bread, bacon and egg fry-ups all the way!

Raz
The British Heart Foundation seem to think it's not a good diet for the heart:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3477277.stm

sauron
well i also heard him say he wasnt on it....and never would go....couldnt stay too it apparently, and if he cant and its his diet its not a good marketing technique

also if he 'had' been on it for thrity years, and he was obese i think the number of people on the diet would fall largely

Ushgarak
I do not think it is a good diet either. But you note that the BHF does not actually, at any point, say 'Atkins' diet is bad for the heart' because they know they would be sued.

They say it is a high protein diet, and evidence suggests that high protein diets can be bad for you, but it is all association.

And like I say, many, MANY people are on diets that are bad for the heart. Most people who might say that the Atkins diet is bad for you are probably in position themselves to say that they are on anything any better. Simply because not enough people are on healthy diets!

Raz
Actually they said it's bad because of the saturated fat, not the protein.

Ushgarak
Oh, that must have been in conenction with something else. I am sure that has been a criticism of it. Oh well, basic point still stands.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.