Dune =Matrix & Star Wars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Superfly4000
I just finished reading Dune by Frank Herbert and I noticed some similarities it had with the Matrix Trilogy and the Star Wars movies. In connection with the Matrix, both The Matrix and Dune have a central character who is told of in prophecy, they both have great powers and they both have strange visions. In connection with Star Wars and Dune, both take place in a system of thousands of planets, both have main characters that are driven by destiny, and both have the "i am your father" twist to it. Am I just digging to deep, or are there others who feel the same rolling on floor laughing

Dexx
never seemed that way to me. Either way..they are purely concidental..and a lot of them, somewhat distant, as to not even be considered similarities.
Dune is possibly the greatest sf written...it has a class of it's own. can't compare the three.

Real
ok...think abou the matrix for 2 seconds...its a bunch of things from all over the place put together with some new ideas stirred in the bunch...you'll find everything is similar to the matrix, cuz the matrix is similar to everything...just as everything tastes like chicken, all forms of sci-fi will taste sumwhat like the matrix...

OSchan
what about space fighting movies...such as.....starshi troopers .didnt taste matrix there

vvvrulz
The first matrix is spun off from martial arts movies (the fight scenes that is). But the rest was original enough to me, sure background story kinda ran parallel with 'the terminator', but no script is perfect. The other two movies i have dismissed from my memory, so i wont say much there.

JKozzy
imho people need to stop thinking that everything is based on the matrix or the matrix is based on it, because it's not. that's just how things are.

Dexx
not to mention that the book is written waaay before the matrix was

Silver Stardust
And is easily one of the best, if not THE best, sci-fi things written, EVER.

(I'm reading it at the moment, actually big grin)

Real
please stop misinterpreting what i say...the matrix is best looked at as the sum of many ideas fused into a new form of hybrid with a sci-fi martial arts and wutever else u can think of blended together...
but god we dont need to point out all the places the matrix comes from...its just not worth it...

WindDancer
Dune is indeed a masterpiece of Sci-fi! yes

I want to see Children of Dune, but I just don't have enough time. Eventually I will one day. happy

Predator 89
Children of Dune was good on Scifi- but not as good as dune not much action but still good acting/diolugue/specialFX . Rent it though. I give it 4/5 stars

The Omega

JediHDM
oh yes, i thought of chronicles of riddick while reading dune. in fact, i was thinking of a big ole timeline for scifi...posting shortly.

Numo
HELLO!

Superfly4000
Hello what?...

Numo
Although I do agree with your point hence my title, but I always thought that Equilibrium was a bridge between the two films. I think that after the Episode III that will become more apparent.

Superfly4000
How is Equilibrium a bridge between The Matrix & Star Wars? That doesn't sound possible...

Superfly4000
But think about it. Don't the Fremen in Dune remind you of the Tusken raiders in Star Wars. Doesn't the Barron Harckonen remind you of Jaba the Hutt. Don't the Benni Jesserit remind you of the Jedi. Doesn't Tatooine remind you of Dune at All!

JediHDM
No, No, No, and maybe.
1) The Fremen are men (and women) that traveled the galaxy from planet to planet searching for their own home (and actually, it was forced by slave traders) the tusken raiders are just (well, i am not exactly sure what the species is) that lives in the desert of a planet that has no marketable resources, and is only habitated (is that a word? not exactly sure, but too tired right now to check) because it is close to trading lines.
2) Baron Harkonnen, which if you had read the House series,you would know, is only fat because he raped a Bene gesserit and she gave him a venereal disease on purpose, as a reward for his "conquest". Jabba is fat because he finds it to be handsome, and because of his genetics.
3) No, they are similar, but there are differences. such as, the bene gesserit are only female, jedi can be male and female; bene gesserit utilize their minds in such a way that anyone can be trained, whereas jedi must be born jedi. etc.
4) yes, Arrakis and Tatooine are both desert planets, however, there are differences there too. namely, Arrakeen sandworms can travel the sand, and live off the spice (and that which is mining the spice) and the Tatooine sand worm is immobile and eats whatever falls in its gullet. Tatooine is habitable (if it can be called that) all over the planet, whereas one can only live on Arrakis is only habitable on the sand in the northern and southern reaches, where the sand worms can't travel.

in other words, i did think about it, and i disagree. on first glance, yes, there are similarities, but on further examination, obvious differences arise.

Numo
Well you see, it is all about the controlling of one's emotions as apposed to letting them control you. You see this in of course in Grammaton Clerical order in Equilibrium, even also in Dune " fear is the mind killer" and all that.

The Jedi order also practice control of emotions in order to clear the mind. The Sith however gain strength and purpose from their emotions, just like the Resistence in Equilibrium.

Also because the Clerics control their emotions they can practice the intuitive arts just like the Jedi and the Oracle in the Matrix.

Superfly4000
No one was talking about Equilibrium...

Numo
If you can't keep up with the conversation perhaps it would be more polite if you didn't join in at all.

rpfromuk
I agree with you and think that similarities go beyond what you had originally stated. Both Neo and Paul are worshiped as gods, in part II of the book and part III of the movie both heroes go blind but are still able to see through their visions. Both are supposed to bring peace and happiness to Dune/Matrix. I am sure there are other similarities as well. Anyone who says The Dune and The Matrix have nothing incommon and it is just a coincidence are clueless.

Numo
Originally posted by rpfromuk
I agree with you and think that similarities go beyond what you had originally stated. Both Neo and Paul are worshiped as gods, in part II of the book and part III of the movie both heroes go blind but are still able to see through their visions.
Exactly, I was reminded of that when Bane called Neo the Blind Messiah.

CrowRoboto
Well yes Dune is similar to The Matrix and Star Wars, i suppose Lucas and the Wachowskis are fans of the novels and despise the abomination from David Lynch and the terrible spin-off novels.

locsaisonw

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.