Singing Tuition

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I don't mind if it gets moved... but I don't suppose anyone knows what qualifications you need to be a singing tutor, and how you can get them? Because I help out a lot in the am-dram plays in our area, and I love helping the singers ((especially the kids, cos they don't think they know better than me! wink )).

I want to be a proper primary school teacher, but I also thik singing tutoring would be great fun, even part-time while I'm a student, but I should think you need to have some sort of qualifications. I've been singing publicly since I was 3, and I've had singing lessons, so I know how they go, but what do I need to have? I so hope I don't have to go to Music school, because I'm already going to be doing English and Education, but if a Music GCSE or A Level is all thats needed, I don't mind doing that, cos they only take a year each.

So...

Any help?

silver_tears
Not sure if this will help, but here you don't need any qualifications actaully laughing out loud
You can just register and do it big grin

Btw Phoe, your siggy has a grammatical error embarrasment
There's no "?" mark after baby no

Princess Fiona: Shrek?
Puss-in-Boots: For you, Baby, I could be. from Imdb big grin

Baylin
Phoe, so long as you can sing stick out tongue , sight read music, and can teach people how to sing in key/tune to a music score without any accompanyment you shouldn't have a problem as singing teacher.

Fëanor
sometimes you don't even have to know how to sing...you just have to be able to teach the technical part of it and have a good ear for tone/key to music....broken down: breathing technique which exercises the diaphram...scales, and vocal range and a lot of others involved with it...

Baylin
Yes but it helps if you can sing, because then you can demonstrate techniques.

It would be like me when I first started teaching the guitar, I onlt taught to the level of which I could play my self. It didnt mean I didnt know more advanced techniques only that I couldn't use them so to try and teach something that I my self couldn't do would have looked silly.

Fëanor
well true...but most singing teachers can't sing very well...that's not to say that Phoe can't sing...it's more of a help in that sense i guess...

Phoenix
well do you know where you can register?

and stick out tongue for the rest of your comment! big grin

silver_tears
Ummm in Canada stick out tongue if that helps at all smart

Baylin
As far as I know you dont have to register in the UK, I was never a registered guitar teacher I just advertised in music shops and in the local paper under musicians. Being a member of the musicians union may help if you run into any trouble with clients and such like.

Bodmin
I'm a professional singer and I'm just having lessons at the moment. In order to be a proper singing teacher especially in a school, you do need qualifications. If you're working in a school, you need a degree, I suggest one in Phonetics because that then allows you to learn how the mouth works, that way, you can pass the information onto your students and can teach them how not to ruin their voices. Secondly, if you want to become a private singing teacher, you need to have completed singing exams, there are several examination boards you can choose from, but without completing them, you can not enter your students in for exams!!!

Hope this has helped big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.