City of God

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Revan
Anybody seen it?

The One Himself
yes thumb up ninja awesome movie!

thorC
Extremely good movie. i like it.

Corlindel

Kes

LordRevan
never seen it what is it about? just send me a E-mail as a reply if you wish to

Tex
I'm seeing it tomorrow, have to read subtitles though, not you Kes! wink

Kes

Kes
Tex> Subtitles are better then dubbed smile

mah
Dubbing is never good.

This was an incredible film. Fantastic cinematography..will get at least one Oscar.

BackFire
I'd liek to see it, but I'll have to wait untill it's rental release.

LordRevan
Thanks Kes i'll check it out. smile

mechmoggy
My mucka gave me this to watch yesterday, and with a stinking hangover I watched it this morning.

What a quality film, its easily in my top ten of all time. If you haven't seen it yet, then do. yes

turkesa
That's a very good movie.
I was really sorry, that he didn't won at least one oscar. But the fact of being nominee, it's already a great step for the brazilian cinema. thumb up

Kisses!!! Happy Dance

eleveninches
yeah, I got this film on DVD.

It is really good. Was it actually filmed in the slum it is set in, or was it filmed elsewhere??

Kes
If I'm not mistaken it was really filmed in the slum and the actors were ppl that live there.

G.P
It is so great a movie ! Really fantastic ! big grin loved it.

Go and see it at any cost !

eleveninches
wow. I thought the film company would have been shot or something.

Kes
LOL yeh, pretty dangerous but when it comes to movie stuff I guess the ppl around there are more cooperative wink

Cinemaddiction
Just a reminder, the DVD is being released here in the States this Tuesday, along with Mystic River.

Corlindel
Buy it!!!

I have the original brasilian collector special edition and its great cool

Kes
Bloody hell I stil havent seen it! I think I'll probably end up buying it before seeing it LOL

A Talking Dog
uh, i just did that {bought it without seeing it}, and you know....i expected better from a movie that ebert proclaimed, "one of the best films you'll ever see" {"ever" is underlined in the quote}.

its being compared to Goodfellas, but it certainly shouldn't be. The cinematography is more of a novelty thing, it is cool for, like, the first hour or so, but after that it just gets annoying.

though...the performances are good, and the violence is... just alright, but there are some memorable sequences such as the scene with the two little boys {The Runts}.

"A shocking and disturbing, but always compelling look at life in the slums of Rio de Janiero."
CONSENSUS from Rotten Tomatoes

the film was neither shocking or disturbing.
i cannot understand why all the critics love this movie so much.
The movie was just okay.

Cinemaddiction
I rented it this afternoon, since buying a movie I've never seen seems rather pointless , and not very frugal.

Anyway, it had some interesting aerial cinematography, which I liked, and it was pretty compelling, IMO.

To put it bluntly, it's a real life "Boyz N Da Hood", set in Brazil.

Could have been a little shorter, and focused a little more on the photographer's development, but all in all, a great foreign film. Just nowhere near as violent or spectacular as people and critics have claimed.

<<Solo>>
Once again I agree.

Waggy the Dog

G.P
(Kes could you please merge this with the existing thread ? TIA http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t27745.html )

Yes it takes us back to the shock question. I think the director has intended to shock to a certain extent, but that it is not the main thing he's trying to put forward (otherwise any documentary would be enough). To me he's underscoring the "fiction part" of the movie : even if this is supposed to show how life is in the Brazilian favelas, the story (fiction) matters more. And the rythm of the movie is an important aspect of the Brazilian culture that deserved to be kept. It may make the movie more intense and emphasize its "shocking" or try-to-shock aspect (Ze Pequenho kills some people as if it was nothing, he shots some kids,... (hand or foot)).
About the "hand or foot" part (which I remember approximately): it is to show that Ze P. is ruthless,... but as the main subject of the movie isn't Ze Peq. himself but the life in Rio,... it's not IMHO as shocking as you think it is.

G.P
...So when for example Corlindel and I say that the aim is not to shock, we both refer at what we think is the central point of the movie: the Life in a favela. If you take this as a starting point, to say the director aims at shocking would mean that his trying hard to make people think "Oh my God life is really harsh and horrible there" by showing to much barbary. And once again to my mind that's not the case here.

Waggy the Dog
First of all, I hated the movie. Therefore, whatever the director thinks is shocking or is trying to attempt to shock {I am aware of the redunduncy} us with, is lost upon me. None of it worked for me. All I am saying is that you said something akin to "the movie doesn't try to shock", and I think that scene "de-flowers" your comment Irreversible-style. You are saying that the director's main focus were the underlying themes of truth that little know of when it comes to the slums. What I am saying is that, they should have shown it differently. And as I said in earlier posts, it fails on almost every level for me. I didn't care about the characters, I didn't care how nihilistic the whole notion of violence at a young age is, and I certainly didn't care about the choices the director made, not only for plot development or character development, but in terms of cinemagraphic value. I hate psuedo-documentary-drama style of film, and this was exactly that.

As well as, the directors and screen writers missed the common fact of a character and it's development. I don't care if you showe me the whole range from the sixties to whenever. Character develpment isn't an arch but rather a rubix cube. So, in comparison, if you see the characters in Goodfellas and in City of God, you will see distinct differences in dramatic depth and character development.

{by the way, I chose Goodfellas because that is what City of God is being compared to. Just so there is no confusion. And if you already knew that, then sorry about this little...blurb}

G.P
the only smilie that comes to my mind is : blink I don't agree with that cos that's a matter of 1) point of view (I mean by that, as I said precedently, if you don't take the character of Ze P. as the center of the movie it's not a major scene) 2)Intention : to say that the film is shocking or trying to shock as you do is implying that this was the intention of the director : but this scene is clearly not a central scene of the movie : the fact that's the 12/13 years old kids have weapons would be more shocking than the Hand or foot scene: see, that's a matter of point of view.

Eventually, I kinda agree with you in the way that the director surely wants to create a shock. But (and there I fail to be clear because English isn't my mother tongue) it's not shocking to me. There lies the (slight) difference.

But anyway when it come to human feelings, nothing is more relative. Something really shocking for you can be ok for me and vice-versa. The best example is that you totally hate this movie whereas I enjoyed watching it and will still tonight,... (btw I'm amazed that a movie can cause so much hatred)

G.P
And I agree there is now real characters development. The life of the young boy from the 60's etc...is just a frameline...

Waggy the Dog
I'm getting late for an occasion so I will keep this short.

"the fact that's the 12/13 years old kids have weapons would be more shocking than the Hand or foot scene: see, that's a matter of point of view."

I am just going to add that the "Hand or Foot" scene is an almost mathematical result of the kids having weapons. Again, I DID NOT get disturbed by this as I so eloquently expressed in previous threads, but that in the eyes of most mainstream viewers can be deemed offensive and/or disturbing.

...uh...I don't know where the hell I am going with this...uh...

but, anyway, when you said that scene isn't a pivotal scene in the movie, I disagree with you there again. Because, as you say, it does convey how ruthless Ze is, and not only that, but the killing of the child comes back to "bite him in the ass", as some would say, at the end of the film. Remember what happens to Ze at the end? that ties in with the killing of the child perfectly.

Waggy the Dog
"the only smilie that comes to my mind is blink

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Waggy the Dog
and I think that scene "de-flowers" your comment Irreversible-style
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

I don't quite understand what you think of my line here. But if it works for you, it works for me. And if it doesn't, then...I'll think of a new metaphor.

G.P
My line was about the dozen of "I hated" that suddenly appeared in your post (which, you will admit, contrast strongly with the style of your previous answers) smile

My opinion about your line came after the quote. Basically I don't really agree with it, for I wasn't shocked. But I try to establish a (slight) difference between creating a shock (the spectator says "Wow!"wink and shocking (the spectator says "Wow, what an harsh and violent world, I wouldn't like to live there !"wink

About the style of your line I'd say it's strange but erm, well, ok.

Waggy the Dog
I am thinking of a new metaphor, though I am rather fond of the origninal one, I thought it got the point across quite nicely. I still viciously disagree with you, but accept your praise for this movie. Opinions are just that. But for your analogy, I would have to say the latter is more fitting for the movie.

G.P
Personally I just said "wow". wink

Waggy the Dog
well... I guess this debate comes to an end now, doesn't it?

G.P
I guess so... Glad to have discussed with you man !

Waggy the Dog
yes...me...as well.

papabeard
Love this film, instantly became one of my favourites.

Never boring, keeps you interested all the way through, very effective film making.

supertruper
I have heard City of God is awesome- the soundtrack too. I have been meaning to rent it...

Ketchuptome
What do u guys think about the city of god.

I personally liked it.I liked the part when Lil'Ze gets shot
and the gang shoots that guys house.

MildPossession
I absolutely love City of God, amazing film! I have yet to see the series based on it though, have you seen it?

Ketchuptome
Nope.What was ur fav scene

MildPossession
I think his name was Bennie, but where he is showing off his new shirt to his friends, just the way he acts is wonderful. I liked this scene.

Ah the mini series is called Cidade dos Homens/City of Men.

Ketchuptome
Where can i cop that shizz(where can i get it)

MildPossession
I have no idea, I haven't seen it myself. It's in my rental though, so should think about getting it out soon to take a look at it.

Ketchuptome
thanks.

I also liked the part when the kids kill Ze at the end

WindDancer
One of a kind! Great film indeed. yes

This movie had one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen. The little kids getting shot for stealing was very graphical

speiderman
Very obscene graphic movie. But a very real depiction.

Ketchuptome
Originally posted by WindDancer
One of a kind! Great film indeed. yes

This movie had one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen. The little kids getting shot for stealing was very graphical

Oh yeah.
When the kid got killed and the other kid had to limp

furryman
Loved it. Caught some of the series on BBC3/4 once... really can't remember it though!

Ketchuptome
BBC3/4??? What is that

MildPossession
Television channels here in Britain.

Ketchuptome
Oh no.
Looks like i have to make a trip there

Cinemaddiction
Moving for a merge.

Cinemaddiction
I thought it was mediocre, after it being so hyped, I was extremely let down.

Dr. Strangelove
Probably one of the most intense movies I've ever seen.

ZomBiE_HunTER
I saw a lil bit and it was crazy you guys know where I can get the movie.

eleveninches
I loved that film

dizzyblondegirl
lil Ze was a bad ass

Ou Be Low hoo
Oh, man...'City of God' is one of the best films I have seen in the last few years! It's absolutely spectactular...and I don't mean that in a 'Elton John' way.

dizzyblondegirl
i get ya

Pablo G
Awesome movie (y) one of this year's favorites.

Smallville
Saw this film a few days ago. Weird, but very well done

Freaky Zeeky
Lil Ze is a gangsta

edwinian
why is amazing not a poll option?

Nay sayer
I really liked the movie. It was filled with humor, heartbreak and action. The colors in the movie were great-I loved the look of all of the actors and the story has a happy ending-well, bittersweet if you consider the whole plot.

Solo
Just got done watching it, thought it was pretty well done, really loved the story.

lord krondor
I'm sick of ESPN. Seriously, why show Tedy Bruschi after every play?

"Willie McGinest just owned Willis McGahee with that awesome tackle. Tedy Bruschi, in case you are just tuning in, had a stroke a few months back and is starting in this game. Bill Belichick asked Tedy if he could play and Tedy answered, 'Yes, coach, I'm ready to play.' How brave is Tedy Bruschi? Well he is just a good guy and he is the heart and soul of this team. I wish I could swallow Tedy Bruschis' sperm. I love you Tedy."

I appreciate the fact that he had a stroke, but come on. Wait, I have more.

Stuart Scott says of Tedy Bruschi, "This cat was off the hook! How you gonna run a flat pattern with Tedy suffering from a stroke? Big ups to Tedy for being a demi-god. I love you Tedy! I will french-kiss you as soon as you return my calls, dog."

I know this doesn't pertain to this topic, but it really annoys me and I thought that I should share it will all of you.

NewJERU
This movie was great.

Stealth Agent
this movie was effin awesome

Originally posted by lord krondor
I'm sick of ESPN. Seriously, why show Tedy Bruschi after every play?

"Willie McGinest just owned Willis McGahee with that awesome tackle. Tedy Bruschi, in case you are just tuning in, had a stroke a few months back and is starting in this game. Bill Belichick asked Tedy if he could play and Tedy answered, 'Yes, coach, I'm ready to play.' How brave is Tedy Bruschi? Well he is just a good guy and he is the heart and soul of this team. I wish I could swallow Tedy Bruschis' sperm. I love you Tedy."

I appreciate the fact that he had a stroke, but come on. Wait, I have more.

Stuart Scott says of Tedy Bruschi, "This cat was off the hook! How you gonna run a flat pattern with Tedy suffering from a stroke? Big ups to Tedy for being a demi-god. I love you Tedy! I will french-kiss you as soon as you return my calls, dog."

I know this doesn't pertain to this topic, but it really annoys me and I thought that I should share it will all of you.

On more recent news, Reggie Bush says he wants to get Traded to the jets. Its pretty obvious the jets wont draft him first but theyll probally being willing to pay alotta money for him.

Eis
The movie exceeded all my expectations. The cinematography was just amazing. The movie is just... one of the best I've seen.

papabeard
How about an Absolutley F@cking Brilliant option in your poll.

One of my favourite films

Flavio
its a wonderful film, and i think Fernando Meirelles is still collecting the good points of it. Its way better than Constant Gardener...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.