Are Braces really that bad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BingaBonga
Well, I'm going to get them soon. I guess that I'll have them on from anywhere to 14-20 months, but my dentist has some type a way to speed it up a little. I wasn't there at the consultation, but I guess that I'm going to have to have rubber bands on one side of my mouth. I don't know if it's at night or what. I've heard they're bad, but maybe my friends are exaggerating. So? sad

Linkalicious
they are well worth the smile in the long run. i wouldn't dare show you a picture with me before braces....my teeth were HIDEOUS!!!! But now, I love my smile! big grin

Just do everything they tell you, wear your bands when you're supposed to, stay away from soda's and stuff. The better you follow directions, the faster they come off.

Getting them off is the best feeling ever...

the assassin
if he can "speed it up" tht's probably gonna hurt. rubber bands aren't that bad, they're just a pain because the snap sometime and they're hard to get used to. i just got mine off a few months ago. it hurts at first. it hurts a day or two after they tighten them, but otherwise, they're not that bad. you'll get used to them. and when you get them off, it's hard to get used to not having braces! lol

BingaBonga
Oh well, as long as I have jello, cottage cheese, and yogurt, I'll be good hopefully. My teeth are really not bad at start, but they're a little crowded, so I guess that all this will be about $5,100 if we stick to this really expensive dentist. I agree with Link, definately get them, even with all the stuff in your mouth...

Linkalicious
Jesus $5000 for braces???What the f**k?

I payed like $1700...and i had them for like 2 1/2 years instead of 2.

Nazgulinthedark
confused i just went to my consultation today.....i dont wanna get braces no

BingaBonga
Really, you went today?Well, I didn't go, but it was today. To Link: The reason why they're costing so much is because this is a high priced dentist I guess, and where the hell are braces so cheap? Not here it least. They have to do a lot to my teeth I guess.

Nazgulinthedark
yeah, it lasted like 2 hours messed so boring
my braces are supposed to cost like 4700, but insurance is getting most of it, and my parents have to pay like 1500

BingaBonga
I don't really know about that yet... my mom is looking into another dentist.... The would have been $4700, but then there was the check up thing before it, and that cost about $400...blink

VållèjºKîd707
Im supposed to get my braces soon too.

BingaBonga
I'm glad I'm not alone. smile

Sith Master X
I'm almost going on 1 year since I first had mine put on. At first, it feels wierd, your teeth become sore because it's sensative to begin with, but after a day or 2, you begin to adjust to it and everything's fine. Then enough time passes, and you wouldn't even know you had them on. smile

SMX
cool

VållèjºKîd707
Me too. smile

BingaBonga
*feeling a little more relieved* smile

silver_tears
Mine were like 5000 something, but Canadian big grin
My insurance paid almost all, and the consulatations and junk big grin

Agent Elrond
Braces suck d!ck. I hated them

BingaBonga
*relief starts draining out of body* confused

jekyll†hyde
Yeah, braces suck... and rubber bands hurt like hell -_- But eventually they come off.

Oh, and the dentist/ortho/whoever will give you a list of "things you shouldn't eat" ...no one follows it :P

DeNiro
They suck so much i have had them one for two years and am getting them off before august and it pisses me off everyday they cut my cheek and you always always have to pick food out of the stupid ass spaces and then they hurt when you get them tightened and they look stupid on top of that but once i get them off it will be all worth it cause my teeth are perfect

Darth Revan
I had them for a really long time, like three years. Brushing is a pain in the ass. Mine hurt like hell for the first week or so, but they hardly hurt at all after I got them tightened... Depends on the person but for me the first couple weeks were hell, and the rest wasn't that bad. And don't follow the things they tell you not to eat... Gum doesn't get stuck. Caramel kind of does, but you can get it out without too much trouble.

DeNiro
Well see i eat like a non human seriously i take in around 9000 callories a day mostly hamburgers and chiken and anything i can get my hands on and when i have had my rubber bands on my teeth are very sore and its hard to eat and it pisses me off so much

Darth Revan
Yeah... well, I never said it wasn't hard to eat with braces, because it can be. All I'm saying is that you don't have to stop eating anything because the orthodontist told you to wink

Clark_Kent
you damn str-8 them braces are harmful, kiss a girl in a rush, try to taste her gullet and watch out when she slides away, they can slice your mouth..

i call the braces, a train and a railroad track, as in:

" hey, Ash, i'm gonna knock your train off your track."

RagingSilent
my sister had bracesyes...

and she says it was definitely worth the waityes....cuz now she has perfect teethbig grin....

and trust me, there are worse things in the world than braces...lol..

and just remember, in the end, you'll have great looking teethbig grinyes

DracosGirl
exactly... i had them for almost 18 months and altho i hated them a the time it was so worth it in the end. I love my teeth now and it makes you a hell of a lot more confident in the end knowing they look good. Plus so many ppl have braces now that it doesnt really matter anymore

RagingSilent
yes even one of my friends actually wants braces..lol...and she has straight teetheek!..lol....but she says they r so common, that she wants them, as tho they're a fashion statement...lol....

Discos
my braces wern't that bad, they were clear white braces so you couldn't see them.

They are a nightmare to clean and also when its time to get them off.

Túrelie
eat a banana when it comes off...................random!

Greek_girl
well because of me being 15 i get all my dentistry paid by the nhs (BRITAIN) so even braces dont cost a dime...

starshine
Yes! Braces suck! I had mine for five years. My teeth were awful, but now they're great! So I guess it's worth it. And I didn't even have to pay anything for them. Breces are free here if you're underage. big grin

Discos
yep i still get free dentist stuff I think - I am 16 and live in Scotland

Mighty Yoda
i had to have a brace then i chose not too thankgod

Discos
braces did suck, mines always snapped

burly brawler
i actually think that braces looked cute in a girl. it says she want's to better herself in soite the fact that the pain is like no other yo have ever felt before... think of mike tyson giving you an upper cut in the jaw... but, yeah... they're cute... but that's just me...

Sweetest Sin
Oh god I hated wearing braces. They were SO painful.

DracosGirl
I never actually found them that painful... i mean i left the dentists with a bit of a bad head every time they were tightened, but overall they wernt that bad

Flying High
braces hmm...i had em...i got em on the NHS smile
neway......elastic bands hurt cos thetr pulling ur teeth together.....wen u first get them on it dusnt hurt....eat then!!
cos later...u wont b eating....

and the same every time they get tightened....

erm well my wires sumtimes came out of place and stuk into my cheek...that kinda hurt....

BingaBonga
Well, I'm pretty much prepared now. I think that I'll probably get them next month... *sighs*

Flying High
they make ur teeth nice tho....jus remember that wen u experience pain....

BingaBonga
Definatley, they're going to be worth it. Smiles do leave a good impression yes

punkyhermy
i want braces but am dead scared of them...besides aren't they harmful???I mean metal in your mouth??!?!!

Woody Woods
OK, WHO HERE had BUCK TEETH?

Real
ive got large front teeth...braces dont fix that...i might get them filed when i get older...but braces as a whole arent that bad...

BingaBonga
Yeah, my bottom teeth are crowded so I guess they're going to file them somewhat....

the Vee
braces can suck really badly.. mine did.
was in pain for about 3 days and didnt eat anything and the metal hurt my lip.. but i got them off now

BingaBonga
How long did you have yours on?

sniper
they're horrible... ph34r them...

j/k

BingaBonga
cry I'm scared...

§pearhead
I've had mine for just over a year messed they blow

sniper
they get annoying when u crack one off, and after u get them ajusted, every couple of months. other than that, no problems, unless you wanna make out

BingaBonga
erm I'll get used to them I guess.

§pearhead
During the first weeks the metal digs into the inside of your mouth messed ugh, its terrible

but you get used to it, or your mouth toughens up, I dunno which messed

the Vee
dont worry bout it.. and in the end its usually worth it

BingaBonga
I agree... smile

Smiling_Sadly
i personally think they are kool looking, the braces, but they can cut the inside of ur mouth if ur not carefull...ouch!

Real
when u get em off...ur mouth feels empty

DracosGirl
I never found braces a problem when i was making out... honest they are fine and have great results!

BingaBonga
I truthfully don't want the color bands, they look bad to me...

Rad_1
I'm supposed to get lower braces soon. I'm scared to death.

starshine
I had mine off 6 months ago.It doesn't hurt when they put them, but after that it hurts like hell for a couple of days. I could only eat soup.
And it hurts when they take them off.

~Angel~
Yeah... Braces really suck.

I can still feel the scars in my mouth where the wires cut me. I hated every second that they were in my mouth.

My mouth hurt a lot, but any kind of pain reliever will help that.

But, in the end, it is worth it. If you get the clear bands on your braces, they're less noticeable. The colored ones make it look like there's twice as much junk in your mouth.

You have to bring toothpicks and toothbrushes and toothpaste with you most of the time too. Otherwise you end up with crap hanging from your teeth and looking like Jaws the shark after he's eaten a few people.

But, after you get them off, it's great! Be sure to get the clear retainer without wires if at all possible. I couldn't even talk with that POS plastic and wire retainer in my mouth.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.