Greatest Drummer Ever?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
The question is in the title.

Reasons/Opinions. Avril/Evanescence/Shitty Emo Band Fans are welcome but enter at your own risk. My thread and I reserve the right to ridicule you to the fiery pits of Hades if I wish.

-AC

the assassin
i'm gonna have to say i'm the best drummer ever!

Darth Revan
Don't know much about drummers, TBH... Dave Grohl was good thumb up

ElectricBugaloo
my vote goes to either Keith Moon or Bonham

Broken_Johnson
Neil Peart of Rush is the greatest drummer ever..... him and Joey Jordison (one of the fastest drummers I have ever heard)

finti
what electric bugaloo said, just add Ian Paice of Deep Purple

Victor Von Doom
Daniel Carey.

Deathblow
Bonham has to be the one really...but if not, Grohl and (as much as I hate to admit it) Jordison would be up there.

Spicy_Mchaggis
mike portnoy from dream theater. dont listen to their music but i have heard numerous songs and solos that he's done, and they are amazing. i also think that the drummer from system of a down is good, i just cant remember his name.

Darth Revan
SOAD's drummer is John Dolmayan

amity75
Stewart Copeland

Bad Boy
Nate from Foo Fighters
Steve Jocz (Sum 41)
Guy from As I Lay Dying (fastest double bass you'll ever hear)
Uli Kusch from Masterplan (ex Helloween)
Travis Barker (Blink 182)

Darth Revan
uh-oh... SOMEBODY is about to get reamed by AC whistle

orbob
I was under the impression that this accolade is still held by the great and noble COZY POWELL...........?

ragesRemorse
danny carey from tool is the best today...bonham and neil pert from zeppelin and rush are right there with him...pert probably the best though. If not pert then keith moon would take the throne, he is the fastest drummer with 6 beats a second

Victor Von Doom
Somebody who knows their stuff.

Grohl is overrated.

Portnoy is good but he doesn't play for the song, just shows off his chops.

'Nate from Foo Fighters
Steve Jocz (Sum 41)
Travis Barker (Blink 182)'

Nate is not the drummer, it's Taylor Hawkins, who is very overrated. Steve Jocz is a see you auntie.

Travis is good.

As for the fastest double bass, for me that's Dave Lombardo without a doubt, who I regard as second behind Danny Carey.

moshtitan
"Guy from As I Lay Dying (fastest double bass you'll ever hear)"
the drummer from morbid angel, strapping young lad,or cannibal corpse would decimate the drummer from as i lay dying.

Tomas Hakke from Meshuggah is quite possibly the best or at least one of the best drummers ever, and is regarded by many to be the best.He has the most insane polyrythmic percussive playing i and many have ever heard. And sorry to say to all the people saying that the foo fighters or sum 41 have good drummers, but if you check out any death, speed, or black metal bands i guarantee you that the drumming is far better than any body from the bands i metioned earlier. as far as joey jordison goes, the drummer from mudvayne actually plays more difficult beats(maybe not faster but definietly more difficult) Neil Peart is also a very talented drummer, but no Tomas Hakke.

Alpha Centauri
"Nate from Foo Fighters
Steve Jocz (Sum 41)
Travis Barker (Blink 182"

Stupiiidddddddd veryyyyy stupiddddd.

If you want FAST drummers then look at Nile's drummer, who's name I forget. He is probably THE fastest or one of. For actually making things up it's Danny Carey.

-AC

finti
It aint the speed that deceide wetter a drummer is great, it is the ability to keep the rythm.

Alpha Centauri
Hence why I said if it's fast drummers you want, check out Nile's.

-AC

Myth
I love how good Pantera's drummer is at the double foot pedal thing (sorry, I don't know his name or what to call those foot pedals)

finti
I saw that, my post refer to other posts than yours. You covered you back nicely AC

el_barto
Neil Pert From Rush (I heard the drum solo song and was just blew away by that)

AND

Keith Moon From The Who (Just a kick-ass drummer)

moshtitan
double bass pedal is the name.

matchbox
travis barker is an great drummer!

Paul Doucette of matchbox twenty fame is a great and under rated drummer. he is great live!

Spicy_Mchaggis
the fastest double bass i have ever heard is the drummer from iniquity. dude he's insanely fast. and dave lombardo from slayer is really good. i hate slayer but i do like his drumming

GABRIEL05
Elvin Jones
Tony Williams

xopbat
Right now I think Dave Weckl is unbelieveable, maybe the best...If you've never heard him go to your music server and listen to a few of his tunes..Dave Weckl band etc...

alic88
i wish i could play drums..... or i could get to feel them once

but n e wayz the drummer for TOOl is awesome

ElectricBugaloo
I still say Billy Cobham is the best drummer overall

and that Keith Moon is the best rock drummer.

Bierbommetje
Frank Beard is one of the best IMO

His fills are pure genius

Turbo-Cajun
Im not going to say that hes the best - i dont even really like his band- but I like how the drummer from Godsmack uses the cymbals. It seems to have a lot more levels to the beat than a lot of other stuff i hear. but then again this is a non-drummer who posted this. I've got a buddy who talks about the drummer from Dave Mathews alot, i think hes alright, just havent heard anyone else say anything on him (well i dont know his name so maybe you have...)...

ElectricBugaloo
Frank Beard is good, hell ZZ Top is vastly underrated, but he's by no means the greatest drummer of all time...he doesn't do anything too complicated.

Bierbommetje
Complicated doesnt equal good

Fast doesnt equal good either

ElectricBugaloo
so a simple slow drummer is somehow better than the intrictate drumwork of billy cobham? I don't see how.

~*Emotional*~
Best Drummer..........ME! No not really. I dont know many but I'd probably say, agreeing with rages remorse, danny carey or keith moon. Hey all, im new. ridicule me all you want!

Bierbommetje
yes, a slow creative drummer who's playing is inspired and sets a groove that makes you wanna dance is better then a drummer who is faster then sound and pulls of all kinds of complicated fills and beats

Dont know Billy Cobham's drumming, so he might be inspired and creative, but the argument "hes the best drummer cause hes fast as f*** and plays very complicated fills and beats" means zilch in my book.

ElectricBugaloo
cobham may be one of the fastest drummers, but it is ALL creative (he is, afterall a jazz drummer). You have to be fast to be a jazz drummer because it is constant improvisation--try keeping up with a sax player or trumpet player who is going off on a solo; it's not easy.

Get some Cobham, especially "Spectrum"

plenTpak52
he's right that just because you're the best doesn't exactly mean you have to be fast. Take Jaco Pastorius. He wasn't a very fast bassist, but he was the best. But still, when it comes to drummers, the terms are kind of different. You kind of do have to be fast.

Keith Moon is the greatest

ElectricBugaloo
moon is the best ROCK drummer, but Cobham slays him

norrin radd

Alice_In_Chains
Dave Grohl is pretty much the best drummer iv seen.

Darth Sauron
Roger Taylor and Eric Delaney

fruits
well, my favorite drummers are tre cool-green day, and chad smith-red hot chili peppers. but as far as best goes, i dunno. ive heard some drum solos performed by tre cool-green day and they're crazy. he rocks!!! and then the drummer from queen rocks to. one of his most memorable drum breaks is in fat bottomed girls at approximately 2:16. its crazy! if u have that song on cd, i recommend listening to that part. when your not listening for it, it just passes by and u dont notice but when your listening for it, its fabolous!! but all in all, im gonna have to say that i am still the greatest drummer to ever walk the earth

ElectricBugaloo
this thread just keeps getting worse and worse

StinkFist462
Danny Carey
the drummer from Slipknot
a lot of metal drummers are good

Mane
Being a drummer, I think you guys are looking to too many recent drummers. You gotta look at the classics and legends.

Heres my list (in no particular order):
Neil Peart
Buddy Rich
Dave Weckl
Max Roach
John Bonham
Dave Lombardo
Mike Portnoy
Virgil Donati (one of the only drummers in the world who can do a double-stroke roll on a double bass pedal)
Bernard Purdie
Danny Chambers
Tony Royster JR.
Carter Beauford
Billy Cobham
Tito Puentes (Latin legend)
Alex Acuna
Horatio Hernandez
Giovanni Hidalgo (greatest conguero ever)
Steve Gadd

...and the list goes on (im too tired to finish it)

ElectricBugaloo
erm...Keith Moon anyone?

Mane
he wouldve been on there, but if you would read it it say "and the list goes on (im too tired to finish it)"

ElectricBugaloo
yeah, but i had to add him. i'd put Moon as the #1 rock drummer, as i've said before

RSSR
^^^^ This guy knows. You have to add Elvin Jones to that list as well.

Darth Jello
Todd Barnes of TSOL
Patty Schemel formely of Hole
Tiny, currently with TSOL
Casey Royer of the Adolescents and DI
Dale Crover of the Melvins

D-Double
Quest Love from The Roots. If you've seen them live, you know. wink

amd9999
There is no "greatest drummer ever." That being said, the guy who always blows me away is Billy Cobham.

Alpha Centauri
That guy doesn't "know" anything.

A list that long and no Terry Bozzio? Get real.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by plenTpak52
Take Jaco Pastorius. He wasn't a very fast bassist, but he was the best.

Arguable.

Originally posted by plenTpak52

Keith Moon is the greatest

Also arguable.

Billy Cobham is the man.

amd9999
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Arguable.

Also arguable.

Billy Cobham is the man.

Billy Cobham could play circles around Keith Moon with one hand tied behind his back.

coolboarder98
Neil Peart
John Bonham
Phil Collins

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
Ringo Star smile

RedAlertv2
Travis Barker is good

DCLXVI
My opinion is:
Either John Bonham, (Led Zeppelin), or Bill Ward, (Black Sabbath). wink

Alpha Centauri
Travis Barker is good, yes. Ringo Starr was ok.

Note the thread title.

-AC

BananasAndDavid
i hate this site with a passion..its all about bashing other people cuz they like other things and what not...this is a really low site and all you peoples who bash people cuz they like a type of music and all that shit...grow up i mean come on this is lame bullshit getting mad at someone cuz they like one band and they dont fit in...hello? what has this world gotten to really? i hate this site alot, if you want to bash people and bands or what not then go do it somewhere else and leave peoepl who didnt do shit alone!!!!!!!! i had to make my point and this was the perfect place to make it! i hope i never hear from any of the peoeple who think it is fun/funny to critisize other people cuz they dont like the same bands...good-bye ... Sadie roll eyes (sarcastic) blink

ChickinMeat
calm down matey, have a piece of cheese

http://www.greekproducts.co.uk/images/icons/cheese1.jpg

musiclover585
my favorite drummers are........(drumroll..hehe)

taedahhh:

neil peart-
tony williams-
dave weckl-
brann dailor-
dave witte-
I think that covers the gamut...er uh, my gamut.....

PRO-PAIN
In no certain order.

Dave Weckl
Jeff Porcaro
Terry Bozio
Billy Cobham
Tim "Herb" Alexander
Vinnie Paul
Greg Hall
Raymond Herrera
Mike Portnoy
Neil Peart
Paul Bostaph
Jean Paul Gaster
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Buddy Rich
Danny Carey
Buddy Rich
Erik Sandin

Revernd Maynard
No order:

Neil Pert
Danny Carey
Dave Grohl
John Dolymayan (sp?...drummer from System of a down)

knight
In No Particular Order:

Bob Henritt (The KinKs)
Mark Brzezicki (Big Country)
Roger Taylor (Queen)
Rick Allen (Def Leppard)
Paul Stokes (Fondula)
Mick Avory (The KinKs)
Mick Fleetwood (THE Mac)

RagnaViper
(in order)

Neil Peart
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Ginger Baker
Danny Carey
Billy Bruford
Carl Palmer
Mike Portnoy
Terry Bozzio
Ian Piace
Dave Lombardo

Personally, this is my list of the greatest ones.

xxxpoppunker182
for actual greatest ever i don't think there could be one because usually there is always someone better at one drummin technique or another.\

but my favorite drummer is travis barker he's good but not the best ever.

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
for actual greatest ever i don't think there could be one because usually there is always someone better at one drummin technique or another.\

but my favorite drummer is travis barker he's good but not the best ever. why.....all he can do is drum fast....its his rythems are so simple...you just have to work them up to a fast tempo...then you got all of his drumming moves...

LiveAndLetDie
I don`t know who the best is, but my favorite is Matt Sorum (note: I didn`t say he was the best, I said he was my favorite)

Revernd Maynard
I'd have to say terri bozzio (sp?) Danny Carey and Neil Pert

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.