Reseting comp?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mystifier
Umm, I have a kinda noobish question but how do you reset your comp? Like, totally restart so its like wiped clean, like when you first buy it... confused

furryman
I think it's called system restore.. I have a CD or few that came with my PC to do that.

yerssot
for Win XP:

goto start ->programs -> accessoires -> system tools -> system restore
follow instructions there

Mystifier
Don't system restore just reset your comp to an earlier time? I was wondering how you reset the comp totally to the beginning. I think it's called wiping the C: Drive or sumat, I'm not too sure

yerssot
yeah, but then you gotta set EVERYTHING back on the pc messed

you SURE you want to do that?

Mystifier
Yes, I'm sure yes Do you know how I can do it?

yerssot
hit properties on the C disk

Kael
do you mean formatting ?

Raz
You should have received a disk from the people you bought the computer from.

If you don't, and don't know what to do, then I really don't think "resetting" your computer is very wise.

Kael
well if you do mean formatting it depends what Operating system you are running

Jedi Priestess
in XP this is called system recovery....I have had to run it twice and my computer didnt come with disks they were built in. BUT if you do this you lose EVERYTHING you have put on that computer since you bought it. So back-up back-up back-up! I didnt realize this and the first time I lost about 500 songs. sad

Clovie
fromat c.
and then you have nothing on your disc.
and you have to install everything back again.

Jedi Priestess
ah but if you use the system recovery you have evrything your computer came installed with just not the new stuff you've added

yerssot
a much better solution

Mystifier
I did get some disks... Should I check those?

I'm using Win XP

I can't do that. Whenever I try, to any date, at the end it says something along the lines of 'System recovery could not finish' or something and 'System recovery has been canceled' Something like that I can't remember exactly. I would just do this if I could, it is a better solution, I know. But I can't

The reason why I want to reset, is because some programs arent running properly. 90% of what I install won't work properly and my comp sometimes just reboots itself when everything is fine and a message comes up saying something like 'Serious error' Sometimes it doesnt reboot totally just shuts down all the programs I have running even if it is someat small like Notepad even
I've checked for viruses, spyware and all that. My comps clean... I asked a mate what I should do and he said to just reset my comp. He didn't know how though, that's why I'm asking here

yerssot
try a virusscan and spyware scan first

and your system restore should work fine messed

Kael
well make sure you have a win XP disk and your CD key, and back up all the important files that you want to keep you WILL lose ALL data not backed up.

Then go into your Bios and you have to change the Boot Order settings, so change it so your CDROM boots first.

put your Win Xp disk in the drive, and a message should appear which states " press Any key to boot from CD..." you have to be quick, but press any key. if you miss it just reset the computer and try again.

Then follow on screen instructions

Mystifier
Ok, thank you loads smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.