Was Scream a horror?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

scarymvyfanatic
I've been wondering if anybody else thinks that Scream wasn't really a horror, more of a murder/mystery thing, wat do u think?

Cinemaddiction
Categorically, if "Carrie" and "The Sixth Sense" are considered Horror, "Scream" definately is.

Personally, I don't see it in any other category? It involves masked murderers, gore, teens, etc. It may be a self parody, but a Horror nonetheless.

Elektra_lover
I loved all 3 of them

scarymvyfanatic
I loved all 3 also, i guess its a horror it just doesn't really fit the categorie like most others, for e.g. Carrie had supernatural powers and stuff, but in scream its people in suits with bullet proof vests, lol

DeNiro
I liked all of them except the second one i thought that it was just stupid. and i really didnt like the endings of the second and thrid one because they had the same ending for all three movies all the killers reveal themselvs thell why they killed people and then end up getting killed by sidney so i just found that the movie makers just got lazy on there parts on how they ending the last two movies

scarymvyfanatic
yeah i guess, the third scream was absolutely hilarious, i thought, especially wen the killer threw the knife at dewy and the blunt end hit him in the forehead and he fell down the stairs, not exactly wat i was expecting but a turn for the better

Stormy_Day
I found Scream to be more of a suspense movie than a horror film erm

scarymvyfanatic
yeah i agree i just couldn't really fit it into a categorie, but suspense kind of fits into horror i guess

Stormy_Day
Sort of but not really sad

HockeyHorror
its horror yes

but i only liked the first 1. really good movie

2 and 3 were stupid.

Stormy_Day
2nd was decent I havent seen the 3rd tho sad

scarymvyfanatic
2 and 3 were hilarious but not the best movies, but i liked them, i like trilogies tho, not many people do, except for damn star wars,

Cinemaddiction
Scooby Doo cartoons/movies end the exact same way, nobody ever complained about those?

Besides, all horror movies franchises end in the same way basically. The bad guy always wins the sequels are just reloaded versions of the initial installments, with new kids to kill.

"Scream" kept it fresh, laying out the rules of a trilogy, which Scream was intended to be all along, so I believe. They spent the entire franchise bucking the system, going against all the cliched, bullshit horror movie standards, and as the series went on, the movies got less and less predictible.

There's not one person who would have guessed that Ms. Loomis was the killer in Scream 2, and that Roman in Scream 3, who was actually shot and killed by Dewey, which turns the whole "same ending" observation on it's ear.

scarymvyfanatic
Yeah I agree

rif-raf*
it wasnt that scary id say its not i horror

rif-raf*
arnt u gona reply

rif-raf*
**** you then batty boy

rif-raf*
i bet your ginger arnt you ha shame hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha laughing laughing

Evil Dead
I bet you stop making useless/ignorant posts or you will get banned.

FEDFAN316
i agree especially about star wars.it gay!but i think its not a horror cause,well there IS a (sequal in this case 2)but the killer accually dies at the end,i don't concider it a horror unless the killer comes back.like in ghost ship,ferriman can't die cause he's already dead,he tells you in the last scene when he explains what he is."i'm a salvager,like you are.only instead of collecting ships,i collect souls.it's a job given to me after a lifetime of wickedness.i keep on killing until i fill up my quota.and if i lose this shis,well lets just say management won't be very happy!"yes yes

eggmayo
thats a stupid theory > "i don't concider it a horror unless the killer comes back"
think of how many great films there are where the killer died so there was *no* chance for a cruddy sequel

scarymvyfanatic
i guess the theories kind of wrong, but wat the f*** is wrong with sequels?

eggmayo
some sequels are ok, but most are a lot worse than the first film
for instance The Crow (kickass film) then they came up with The Crow 2 City of Angels (crap). Jeepers Creepers 2, Final Detsination 2, Scream 2, ANOES 3, many many awful sequels out there

FEDFAN316
those were some pretty damn good sequals!jeeprs creepers 2 was far better than the first one

Stormy_Day
Star Wars was not the best film in my opinion cheesy,and overated.Most people feel obligated to like the series because its so old and it had good graphics for its time,but you know this is are time now and I dont feel any loyalty to the film erm

Cinemaddiction
*cracks knuckles*

1) "Jeepers Creepers 2" has absolutely nothing to do with the first movie, except for out favorite homoerotic winged freak, "The Creeper".
2 was horrid. Poor plot, poor acting, worse script, and it wasn't anywhere near as creepy as the original.

2) "Final Destination 2". It was everything the 1st one wasn't. It was totally unpredictible, the special effects were top notch, and the cast of names was a refreshing change from the first cast of nearly intolerable actors like "Stiffler" and the like. I don't see how anyone who liked the first one, didn't think the new one was 10 times better.

3) The "Scream" Trilogy. It was planned all along. What isn't there to like about the sequels? As they went on, they got less and less predictible, and alot more interesting. Like I said, both "Scream" and "Final Destination" are two of the most original franchises to come along in the past 10-15 years, so in a time of remakes and rehashes, I'd advice you embrace the movies instead of disliking them for little to no reason at all.

4) The "Star Wars" ORIGINAL Trilogy. Oh, I'd agree that the new trilogy bullshit isn't even worth wasting my breath on, the OT however, certainly is.

I'll tackle the "this is our time now". What that approach, you're insisting that we should disregard all movies made before now, just because movies in a whole are more advanced? You don't know know where you're going until you know where you've been.

Most people don't feel obligated to like anything. "Star Wars" doesn't need peoples respect out of pity. People who say they like the movie because it's old are idiots. If you don't like a movie, then don't like it, who cares. The movie has legions fans because it was the first epic space battle movie, and probably the most important and groundbreaking modern Sci Fi movie of all time.

It's so much deeper than that, though. The OT has Good vs Evil, triumph, redemption, respect, rising to the occassion, facing adversity, overcoming insurmountable odds, love, honor, compassion, and a fantastic overall message that people need faith in their lives. Some sort of faith. It's not just a frog with a light saber, a guy in a black outfit, and a bunch of space ships blowing each other up.

It's popular because it was epic, kids grew up on it, it was groundbreaking, and is overall, a major part of pop culture. Don't like it for the sake of liking it, please. I don't think many people do, unless you know of people who actually said that to you, and you're not just making, what I find to be, really empty assumptions.

"Return of the Jedi" is open to criticism. That was the beginning of the end of "Uncle George", however, "Star Wars" and "Empire Strikes Back" are two of the greatest movies of all time.

scarymvyfanatic
1) There can't be a stereotype about sequels being bad because of all the good sequels, so f*** hating sequels
2)Star Wars has almost noghitn to do with this topic but it was TOTALLY OVERATED in my oppinion, star wars is a definite aqcuired taste, like it depends wat kind of movies u like,
3)Anyone to diss Final Dest. 2 and Scream 2 honestly has no taste for suspense, that means u, "eggmayo" ur really starting to P*** me off

Stormy_Day
Most old movies arent as overated as this one erm

Epic battle scenes? more than half of those scenes where people in a spaceship shooting out unrealistic lazer blast with fake looking spaceships.I mean if that movie came out today believe me it wouldnt have had half as many fans,but what can I expect it was the 80s.All im saying is that its not that good and that theres definetly better "epic battle sequences" out there wink

Cinemaddiction
No offense, but that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. An "acquired taste"? Beer is an acquired taste, independent cinema is an acquired taste. "Star Wars" is about as American Sci Fi as you can get, because it totally relates to everyday life, including emotion, religion, war and politics, it's so mainstream.

The word overrated is overrated. The true definition of the word is lost by those who use it so often that they don't even know what they are talking about. Just because a film franchise has the respect and adoration of legions of people doesn't mean it's overrated, as it was never rated in the first place. It's admired by those who enjoy Sci Fi movies, those who grew up on the trilogy, and those who can appreciate TALENT and ingenuity in cinema when they see it. That's all.

You can call it overrated, while I know for sure that the respect it's garnered is merited.

As for the "epic battle scenes" quip. How can something look "fake", if it never existed before, or had anything to be based upon? It was 1977 for crying out loud, and "Star Wars" was the first movie to incorperate such "big budget" special effects in it's movie, the next being "The Last Starfighter".

Alrighty, Nostrodamus. The same could be said for pretty much any other blockbuster in the 70's which you personally feel is "overrated", which honestly doesn't amount to anything in the end, other than one person's opinion. By that, I don't mean to offend you.

The movie stands the test of time for a reason, because of the story, the characters, the easy relation and application to everyday life, and it's appeal! It's all there. Apparently we'll have to agree to disagree.

But, yes, we need to get back on topic. Save this for the Star Wars discussion threads.

FEDFAN316
still i hate star wars and i'm american.

Evil Dead
Stormy...........if you like movies based on their production value (how real it looks, how clean and crisp the graphics are) and not for the story being told in the movie......I feel really sad for you.

Look at the movie "the ten commandments"....one of if not the best movie of all time in my opinion. A great epic story........but look at the production value compared to today's cinema. It looks almost cheesy now.......but takes nothing away from the movie because it told such a great story.

Now look at a movie like White Chicks.........ooh it looks so clear....such a good crisp film transfer..........but you couldn't pay me to watch this trash.

If you don't have a great story (as Star Wars did), you don't have a movie worth watching..........no matter how fancy and technologically advanced the film's effects are.

Sauron
Scream wasnt a horror, no.

it was a thriller.

A.D. Skinner
Is there anyone that actually was scared watching Scream, Scream 2, Scream 3 or Final Stab ???

I mean come on...the Comedy was enough to overshadow anything remotely frightening in these movies

If it was anything...it could be classified as yet another teen slasher movie without the nudity !

FEDFAN316
what nudidty?

Sauron
Without the nudity.

Evil Dead
Is there anyone who was actually scared while watching Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm St., The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc.?

Horror movies don't scare anybody unless they are a child.....any adult who has ever been scared by a picture on their tv set needs to be locked up and segregated from normal society.

scarymvyfanatic
wait a second, wats final stab?

Stormy_Day
Dude it was overated,for its time no,but to have so many fans still holding on 25 years later is ridiculous erm

The Ten Commandments doesnt have as many fans or as big of a fan base as Star Wars wink

But you got to agree with me the Star Wars graphics where cheesy and I dont know why it still has so many fans today erm

White Chicks -I havent seen the whole movie (I had to leave in the middle) but aside from the bad makeup job and the unrealistic attitude from the girls towards the "White Chicks" it was funny everybody in the theater was laughing so hard.I managed a chuckle here and there which was ok for me.

Evil Dead
bahaaaahaaahaaaahaaaa
I'm trying to decide if I should reference Christians or Jews for this one..........ah well, we'll just say both and save time.

Stormy_Day
Do you seriously think The Ten Commandments has a bigger fanbase than Star Wars What the f**k? ?

BackFire
Never considered scream a horror film. More of a thriller/comedy. Whatever the case, I love the first scream. The sequels were crap.

FEDFAN316
the final movie when they find out it's accually sindey's brother(half brother)but it's stupid that they didn't find out before.if it's gonna be a horror,make the dude come back as a zombie or something.true horrors have supernationalmantality(it's super natural)

Stormy_Day
I think that its you who decides its a horror if its a movie that you walk away from feeling scared and uneasy about what you just saw then its a horror.

If you walk away feeling none of the above then its just a thriller.

FEDFAN316
yeah exactly!

Cinemaddiction
Do you give up on movies because they get old? Do you disown your parents, because they were cool for "their time", but "suck" now? Why should movies be any different?

Are you just devoid of respect for movies that laid down the groundwork for modern Science Fiction cinema? You, like so many other people, tend to think that droves of people enjoying a movie, while you see nothing special about it, make it overrated. It's got universal appeal.

Even Star Wars haters would admit that it was groundbreaking, and much like the first movie in color, they may not have enjoyed it, but it deserves their respect. Atleast, that is, if you're a true cinema lover.

Besides, I honestly don't know what minimal special effects from the original movie you are knocking? The laser rays? The lightsabers? Keeping in mind the first P.C. debuted only 2 YEARS before "Star Wars" was even released, the special effects were new and inventive. Of course they are going to be dated, it was 1977, more than 25 years ago, and compared to todays technology, it is shit. That's to be expected. People don't abandon movies because the technology gets better, and they don't like movies for the technology to begin with!

If you are so opinionated on the naturally dated special effects in a 25 year old space movie, I dred the day someone tells you to see "The Day the Earth Stood Still" or "Forbidden Planet", because God knows you'll tell me those suck as well, and I wouldn't be anywhere near as professional as I am now, given you actually thought such things.

Are you seriously so hung up on the special effects of that movie, that you wouldn't acknowledge the elaborate costume and set designs? The wardrobe, the incredible Jim Henson created puppets, like Yoda, Jabba, and basically every creature in Wuher's Cantina? Did you know that the majority of the explosions and the Death Star trench run were done will all MINIATURES? Same as the Executors and Brigate Freighters! Minature scale models, detailed to PERFECTION by HAND.

Shit like old special effects is so trivial when we're talking about this movie, and those who chose to ignore the ingenuity and pure genius throughout the movie are naive. Like the movie or not. It doesn't need anyones respect out of pity, like I said, but it goes without saying that it's a very, very important movie, and it still has legions of fans, for good reason. You have to be a Star Wars fan to appreciate it, I suppose.

Of course not. The order of the Jedi will ALWAYS be bigger than the following of the "Ten Commandments". You know, that little following called CHRISTIANITY....

It's almost too painfully obvious.

Evil Dead
come on now C-dic........It's not nice to leave out that other teeny tiny group of people called Jews........you know, those wacky people who's religion is based around Moses and the exodus when he freed the Israelites/Hebrews from bondage at the word of their God..........it's a good story.....they should make a movie about it! wink

FEDFAN316
i really don't care about the christans or jews.i'm neither.i'm not in any relgion but no one knows.shhhh.i curse mel gibson for doing passion.it sounds stupid.one of my friends saw it and said it was all in subtitles,and there was a whole bunch of blood.

Cinemaddiction
That's the typical consensus amongst most Non-Christians, that it was 2 hours of Jesus getting beat to a pulp, with Latin subtitles.

While Christians see it as 1 1/2 hours of Jesus' backstory, and possibly 30 minutes that focused on his trial and crucifixion.

ANYWAY, this is like the 3rd non-related movie we've touched on, so we may wantto get back to "Scream", to keep this pretty decent topic alive.

FEDFAN316
she was accually a christian

eggmayo
scarymvyfanatic u call scream 2 suspense?
ever heard of the shining?
thats suspense

beccaluvsjames
yea itz murder/mystery

Stormy_Day
Im quiting the arguement about Star Wars you guys arent gonna understand me so its pointless to argue.

Anyways just for the record im a christian.

Cinemaddiction
I understand you perfectly. You don't like old movies.

Stormy_Day
Dont put words in my mouth ok?

TheFreedom
I thought scream 3 was a comedy...

Stormy_Day
I think there all funny in there own sort of way erm

Cinemaddiction
Sure, then I'll state the obvious. You don't like "Star Wars", because it's old, and you can't figure out why others like it.

That going to be enough supporting evidence, because it's entirely true?

You don't understand why people like it, and we don't understand why you think people only like it because it's "old" and had "good graphics", but you feel that it's overrated.

It's all a matter of respect, truthfully. You don't respect modern technology advancements in cinema, just because they are naturally being outdone nowadays.

You do know what nostalgia is, don't you?

Anywho, I'm getting a horrible mental ulcer, and running in circles here trying to get to a non-existant point.

BackFire
I guess I'll play devils advocate here....At the risk of disagreeing with the two people who I usually agree with, and agreeing with people I don't take too seriously, I will say this - I think Star Wars has a far bigger fan base then The Ten Commandments. If both movies were to be released on a special edition DVD at teh same time, I'm willing to bet star wars will sell more copies. (I know, Ten commandments already has a DVD out, but lets pretend it didn't and both movies were to be released on the same day for the first time on DVD, I'm willing to bet Star Wars will dwarf the sales of The Ten Commandments)

I think it's kinda naive and illogical to think that most Christians and most Jews will automatically like the film because it happens to deal with aspects of their beliefs, that's like saying that every Christian likes The Passion just because it's about Jesus Christ, oh wait, bad example. Most do like the Passion because it simply deals with Christ. Well then that would be like saying every fat person will like the movie Angus because it stars a fat kid, it's simply not the case. Just because someone can relate to the basic premise of the film, doesn't mean they're automatically going to like it.

Cinemaddiction
It was more a joke about the actual "Ten Commandments" themselves, not so much the movie, but I know what you're getting at and agree.

It was all in fun, and now we can get back on topic. Oh, and "Heavyweights" own "Angus".

BackFire
Ah, well the joke went right over my head. How embarassing.

And yes Heavyweights is pure gold.

Cinemaddiction
All things considered, there may very well be some sort of ****ed up "Jedi" illuminati, plotting to overthrow Christianity.

"Jedi" is an official religion in the U.K., as well as Scotland.

BackFire
And don't forget in basements all over America.

Stormy_Day
Lol

Im a christian and thats not the reason I liked the Passion.I thought the film was excellent and unique and Jim Caviezels performance is a gem wink

FEDFAN316
looks horrible.back to "scream"

zombieman
Im sure I've heard Wes Craven refer to it as a horror before and I think it should be him that has the final word on this.

Stormy_Day
It shouldnt be up to the director to tell the people what to think.If you where scared after and the slasher creeped into your subconscience to where you couldnt sleep then its a horror.If you left the theatre in a good movie happy and laughing then it was probaly just entertainment and you didnt see it as a horror.

poshtotty1987
i thought that scream 1 was scary, cant remember screan 2 that much and scream 3 i thought was funny really

eggmayo
to be honest, scream is more of a horror/comedy. its basically scary movie but older. theres more funny moments than there are 'scary' moments

scarymvyfanatic
omg, i was gone for like three days and u guys started on fat kids, star wars, god ect. all i have to say is
1) I HATE Star Wars, it IS overated and i no wat i mean by overrated
2)relation to a movie by physical appearance or personality or ne thing often has no effect on the person watching the movie
3)lets try to stay on topic,

ladygrim
of course it wasnt ... it was a slasher not horror ....

Evil Dead
ofcourse you do realize that "slasher" is a sub-genre of horror...........just as "zombie" films, "demon" films and "ghost stories"..........

scarymvyfanatic
haha, yeah

ladygrim
slasher also means pile of shit

tabby999
no, "pilr of shit" means pile of shit. silly child!

schitzo_freak66
I liked the first and second ones because they stated like all the horror movie rules. They were very enlightening. geek laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.