Will Pop ever come back?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

moonwalker741
ok i kinda thought this through. In like the 80's, there was nkotb, tiffany, Cyndi Lauper, lionel richie, michael jackson, duran duran etc. rite? then in the early 90's came grunge and that totally put pop aside, then 94 - 98 came hip-hop, not like hip hop was never around, its just started to be noticed more through like mainstream, then pop came back in about 98 or 99 with like nsync, backstreetboys,98 degrees, christina, brittney, jessica, mandy etc. that was a whole phenominon till like 2002 where all of that wsa played out and and everybody liked hip-hop, rap, r and b, rock, punk etc. Looking at the patterns, will pop come back or will it stay a memory of crazy upsessed teenagers when they were young over pop? input ?

PunisherFan33
POP will never come back unless somebody comes and makes a good record for once.

Black Onyx
hopfully noooooooo

ROCK IS HERE TO STAY rock

Kaleanae
Pop Rock?

Dr. Strangelove
Seems like the popular pop music now is Pop Rock sick

HockeyHorror
there is Hip POP.

for example: Black Eyed Peas

sad

Kaleanae
Hip pop, rock pop, indie pop, punk pop messedmessed

Real
theres a pop sound to a lotta genres right now...but it only sounds pop because its what people want to hear right now...the reason stuff is called pop IMHO is because its the kind of sound that a lot of people like...mainstream is mainstream cuz a lot of people listen to it...but the bubblegum crap that was around in the late 90s will not come back...most of those artists failed...seen backstreet or nsync lately? no. they dissolved into their own things...and some r just gone...98 degrees? heh, Nick turned into a reality tv star...stick out tongue mandy more is off doin movies...britney is britney...so i guess theres no changing her...but shes even changed her sound a bit...so has christina aguilera...IMHO, pop is dead

Dr. Strangelove
Yeah but bubblegum pop has manifested into Hip pop, rock pop, indie pop, punk pop so the sh*tness known as pop lives on. sad

Real
but my point is that everything that people listen to is gonna be called pop...because thats what pop is; popular music...

moonwalker741
well pop was dead for awhile in the early 90s cause new stuff came in, o well, pop could be dead, only because all these pre-teens are brainwashed by all this garbage music like lil jon,g-unit,j kwon and chingy......

Darth Revan
There are some who go the other route and say "rock is dead" wink

finti
pop come back????? has it been gone.

HockeyHorror
finti great avatar^

finti
yeah always loved that picture of Che Guevara think I will get it tattoo of it.

But pop has never gone away though

Darth Revan
yeah I was going to say the same about your avatar yes

anyways... pop is just a term for music that isn't rock or hip hop and is popular at the time... modern R&B is a pop sub-genre

m!$hA
hopefully not!

PunisherFan33
yea it does not need to come back. POP is gay.

PunisherFan33
down with POP up with ROCK Happy Dance laughing out loud rock yes thumb up laughing stick out tongue

Darth Revan
Pop is not "gay", since when could a genre of music be homosexual? blink

m!$hA
very easilly! havnt you seen pop try to crack on to hip hop? roll eyes (sarcastic) dr, youve been missing out on the latest news again!

Darth Revan
No, I realize people call pop gay, but 50 cent mumbling about Boyzone being gay doesn't make it true wink

m!$hA
*cough* i was kidding!

Darth Revan
oh embarrasment

m!$hA
stick out tongue

PunisherFan33
50 Cent is rap first of all. so stick out tongue

Real
50 cent is Pop IMHO...i dont consider pop a genre....its all the top 40 stuff...mainstream is usually called pop simply for that reason...Pop is never about innovation...its always a sound that people like and other groups copy n modify...

SpiderGurl
Well, IMO, Pop will come back when people are sick and tired of the R&B, hip-hop, rock craze that's going on right now. It's always that way.. when people get bored of something, they go back to something they liked before and feel like it's something new, and when they get tired of that they switch back.

Deathblow
How is rock a craze? Rock has been around for decades longer than todays crappy electro-pop. Hip-hop isnt a craze either, its just at the moment pop 'musicians' have a fixation on trying to immitate it. And there is no R&B in the charts right now. There hasn't been for years.

SpiderGurl
Well whatever you know what I mean, it's obvious that hip hop is big compared to before and I'm just saying that it won't be this big FOREVER. Other genres, including pop, will have their chance to come back.

Darth Revan
Actually, pop is the big thing right now... Sure, they call it "R&B", but it's pop. There is nothing "blue" about modern "R&B". Same with mainstream hip hop... It's not real hip hop. Rock isn't in right now... Pop rock is in. Real rock, alternative rock, was in during the 90's.

The thing about pop is, the definition of it changes over time. I don't believe that crappy electro-pop, as Deathblow described it, will ever come back. During the 60's, the stuff we now think of as "oldies" was considered pop. It's constantly changing.

TrAnCeDuO
actually its neither...50 cent is hip pop not hip hop

alic88
well pop will alwayz remain... and i love pop: michael jackson is the person who defines pop at its best....
but n e wayz pop has not gone has it?

moonwalker741
o when i ment pop, i ment like, boy band pop, brittney spears pop, like during the late 90s, not top 40 mainstream, cause that is all genres

and yes, michael jackson rules

Bracus
I have to agree. Pop music is essentially whatever's popular right now. Whatever is charting. But why is it that what's charting is so weak and lifeless. Devoid of any REAL feeling. What happened to all the great song writers?

Bracus
I mean, I've been a DJ for 17 years. Not saying that what I started listening to was much better, but with time, I've been forced to look back beyond my DJ years to find anything of substance. What's up with that?

ElectricBugaloo
saying that pop is whatever is popular now isn't true.

nirvana was never pop music, neither was led zeppelin. And they were both the biggest bands in the world at thier times. maybe it started by being what was popular, but it evolved into a genre of music that is relatively inoffensive, everyone can get into and is generally upbeat.

pop will be back, it always comes back like rock always comes back. it goes in cycles.

Bierbommetje
If a band WANTS to score hits and rule the charts and does, then IMO thats pop music.

Nirvana didnt want to score hits and rule the charts. So not pop music.

Theres a difference between pop music and popular music IMO.

Spicy_Mchaggis
pop has already made it back with bands like: good charlotte, simple plan, avril lavigne, new found glory, etc. etc. hip hop has been re-enventing itself so that more people like it, rap is just the same over-sexed druggies trying to make music. rock has progressively gotten a new sound. rock used to be raunchy and about a freedom to get away from the real world and use your opinions, now most bands are making music just so they can be POPular for a few months. so therefore pop has comeback. untill bands like korn, system of a down, and all ozzfest bands can make even heavier music, im listening to the old stuff.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.