The Fans Vs Hollywood

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Over the years us fans have seen Holly wood mess up alot of comci book movies like Batman and so many more coming up like the Fantastic Four. Whats your oppinion on all of this?

chrissyg
i think they should get some1 who reads comic's to make comic movies

Alpha Centauri
I understand they have to make it accessible. Look at Spider-Man and the first Batman. Awesome comic book movies and the fans loved it, so did non-fans. But when they start leaning toward pleasing the non-fans it gets lame.

-AC

TheFilmProphet
Your absolutely right I think a fellow fan needs to make a comic book movie not someone who is being introduced to comic books for the first time in their life it just isn't right. mad

Joker1237
Well We are loseing the battle lol. I loved Batman, I like the comics, I have some of the best Bat storys ever, Killing Joke, Laughinf Fish, (Well with Joker any way lol)

But seeing them do this with Superman, Batman, Spiderman will soon get it belive me, its a matter of time, I say 3rd movie.

DareDevil was "OK" but at least there wont be no number 2 to ruin a ok movie. I loved it anyway.

Spawn is other movie, but it did not lived up to the hype imo.

Yes FF will fall before they even started.

Alpha Centauri
I think Daredevil caught a bad rap. I think it was better than most say it was.

-AC

Joker1237
I said it was ok, I loved the movie, Ben was a ok DareDevil. HAve it on DVD. IT show that DD was human when he spit his tooth in the sink, I like that part. It was a good movie, not up there with Batman 1 or Spiderman 1, but it is better than Spiderman 2 any ways.

chrissyg
i never read any daredevil comics but i seen the daredevil comic style and it looked nothing like daredevil from the movie

TheFilmProphet
Daredevil better than Spider-Man 2? Are you sure your not blind too come on just the fact that you get to see Doc Ock on the big screen already makes it better and guess what Daredevil's curse isn't over yet there is still Electra sick

Joker1237
Yes it is better, at least half of New York does not know who DD is. I mean with evey one knowing who Spiderman is ruin it for me.

Alpha Centauri
Daredevil was better coz it didn't have as much romance. It didn't have as good a story which is why Spider-Man 2 has the overall edge over Daredevil.

I still don't like it that much though.

-AC

TheFilmProphet
Are you sure your not blind the Kingpin is not black and does not throw flowers on people? Bullseye is not Irish and does not have a big target carved into his skin? Jennifer Garner good actress but looks nothing nothing like Electra read the comic you'll see. Ben Affleck a super hero come on what the heck whats next Brendan Frazier as Captain America?
sick sad mad

Alpha Centauri
"Are you sure your not blind the Kingpin is not black and does not throw flowers on people? Bullseye is not Irish and does not have a big target carved into his skin? Jennifer Garner good actress but looks nothing nothing like Electra read the comic you'll see. Ben Affleck a super hero come on what the heck whats next Brendan Frazier as Captain America? "

A) Kingpin isn't black but Michael Clarke Duncan PLAYED the role better than anyone else could have.

B) Elektra didn't need to look identical. She looked good enough.

You are too caught up in appearance rather than acting ability.

-AC

Joker1237
He was a ok DareDevil, Fraizer cold be a great Cap lol.

But race does not bug me, I think whats his name was a great Kingpin, sure they have the flower thing, But in the Batman movie they gave the Joker, the Devil,Dance,Moonlight, saying, The comic Joker will never say that.

chrissyg
i liked the guy who played kingpin i think he did a great job but i like spiderman2 more then daredevil

TheFilmProphet
Apperance is everything otherwise why even make it thats why its called comic book based if its nto well then trash to me especially with actor and actress who are the equivelance of trash mad

Alpha Centauri
Appearance isn't everything.

It's called comic book BASED. BASED.

Bruce kills his Dad, his Dad doesn't turn into a mutant. His Dad's name is Brian not David. But Hulk ruled despite all of this.

Appearance is cool if you get a dead on lookalike but that is a rare occurance. So you make do with who is the better actor/actress. If I went to see Silver Surfer and they cast Vin Diesel as Norrin Radd, it wouldn't bother me. I may think it was a bit lame, but as long as he played the role good and the story was great, it wouldn't matter. Coz after all, I go for the movie. It's not a fashion show.

-AC

Gregory
Appearance is most certainly not everything. You here people complaining that a character's actor doesn't look like the character, and then you look at the character, and realize that he's been drawn fifty different ways by fifty different artists, and it all becomes rather silly. You'd better never pick up a really early Batman comic, because he looked nothing like he does now.

TheFilmProphet
Still when its something as simple as casting someone at least the same freakin color its just plane stupid its like making Batman Japanese or Spider-Man Arabian something this simple shouldn't be screwed up and if people wait over 40 years!! you should at least get something worth half the wait not some odd job like daredevil or fantastic four. Spider-Man so far is the only movie that has come this close which is why I appreciate it that much more. For example look at the X-Men and Hulk story might get twisted but at least the hulk isn't blue and wolverine bald. So when you can't get at least the looks and then no story its a piece of garbage don't even call it Marvel or DC anymore. mad mad

Joker1237
Hey the guy was big, the makers said color did not matter, and that guy is a great actor, loved him in the green mile,

Yes Kingpin in the comics is white, BUT the king pin is big, they said this guy was the biggest guy they found, they base the role on size not color, with kingpin.

Alpha Centauri
"For example look at the X-Men and Hulk story might get twisted but at least the hulk isn't blue "

Making The Hulk blue would be infinately worse than making The Kingpin dark skinned.

-AC

TheFilmProphet
Stillthe same thing either way I only respect movies that at the least keep the characters apperance at least a little close to the comic even if the story isn't 100 percent correct. You're clearly not such a comic book fan wink

TheFilmProphet
This is what Hollywood did to Batman riflebatman

This is what Hollywood deserves blowupraygun

Alpha Centauri
"I only respect movies that at the least keep the characters apperance at least a little close to the comic even if the story isn't 100 percent correct. You're clearly not such a comic book fan"

Excuse me? I'm not a comic book fan? Why? Coz I'm not a whiney *****?

I am a comic book fan. Which is why instead of looking at EVERY single goddamn movie with a fine eye to see what's wrong, I look to see what's right. To be perfectly honest, we could have done alot worse.

You say you only respect movies that keep the characters a LITTLE like the comic book. Kingpin was played by a huge, strong, muscley/chubby dude. Which Kingpin is, so I'd say the fact that he was "black" is a minor thing.

Would you rather Kingpin be black and play the role great or white, exactly like the comic and act the role so shit that it ruins the film?

The old saying that applies to people like you is:

"For those who believe no explanation is neccessary. For those who don't no explanation will suffice."

There really is no pleasing people like you. It's people like you who give comic book fans a bad name.

-AC

TheFilmProphet
Daredevil does not exist to me. You actually think just because I at least want either a good story or at least resemblance I'm giving fans a bad name? Kingpin does not look or act like this ever! He doesn't have Kingpin's body or personality. This movie almost made me literally blind while I watched it. The only movies I have a big problem with is Daredevil, Fantastic Four, and Batman 4 thats it! You're making it seem like I hate every movie. Besides those three everything else is watchable all I'm saying is that if people wait forty something years it should at least resemble the comic! Spider-Man did it just fine and X-Men why can't Daredevil and Fantastic Four do it. mad

Arachnoidfreak
I used to have the same issue with Daredevil. Then my balls dropped, I grew up, and I stopped bitching. There's nothing you or I can do about it, that's the way the movie was made. I don't even see a reason to complain anymore. So he's black, so what? Guess what, they made Nick Fury a black man in the comics too. They will probably change the races a of a few more characters too. Who gives two shits? You and your $3-$8? It's not much you got there.

TheFilmProphet
What? Your balls dropped what are you saying you have no balls? Anyway I was mad that this guy thinks I hate all comic book movies I could care less about Daredevil like I said it doesn't exist.

Arachnoidfreak
yea...that was intelligent....

"my balls dropped" is a figure of speech. the testicles actually "drop" from your torso when you are born, and then start working at puberty.

Alpha Centauri
"Daredevil does not exist to me. You actually think just because I at least want either a good story or at least resemblance I'm giving fans a bad name?"

You're giving us a bad name by making an ass of yourself. It's people of your disposition who phone up Marvel and complain, ***** and moan about the movie. You at LEAST want a good story? Maybe I'm missing the point of these movies coz that's what I want the most. If and when they put out a Surfer movie, if the story is awesome and Norrin Radd is acted well, I wont care if his skin tone is darker than in the comics.

You say you claim SOOO much about casting and how people look, yet you like X-Men. Daredevil is far superior to the first X-Men yet you like X-Men more. I don't hear you bitching that Sabretooth looked like a street bum instead of the fierce beast he's meant to be. Maybe because he's white, I dunno. He was worse than Kingpin in terms of acting, comic to on-screen attitude and looks.

Think of how many fat/chubby/muscley white men they must have gone through before the decided Michael Clarke Duncan was the right man. I don't think they decided to make him black on a whim. The argument of whether or not he played that part as well as it could have been played is debatable, the point is, he obviously played it better than anyone else they saw. White men included.

Saying the movie doesn't exist to you purely because one of the characters has a different skin tone is stupid and immature.

-AC

who?-kid

Daywalker
DD came out too close to Spider-Man and made him look like a watered down version of Spidey IMO (Diving off of buildings, swinging around ete etc)

Daywalker
I actually thought the train scene was very touching. With Peter wondering if he should be Spider-Man anymore, having the people on the train show their appreciation was well done.

TheFilmProphet

TheFilmProphet
He wasn't that big and clearly they didn't care enough to search for the right cast and that includes Collin Ferrel, Jennifer Garner, and Ben Affleck

Daywalker
That's what I thought about Micheal Keaton as Batman. He looked nothing like Bruce and he was short but he acted out both parts well. he was a great Bat and Bruce. Those movies can't hold a candle to the comics but the 1st 2 were good movies.

Joker1237
Sould have waited a bit longer, maybe if the Spider fanware died down. I loved the movie. I think Michael Clarke Duncan was a good Kingpin, and if they cast him as Kingpin in DD 2 or maybe bring him in in Spider 3, I think he could do it, He did a great Job imo. Sure may not be 100 percent to the comics. But as long as the story is good which DD was.

Most people have Keaton the best Batman ever, yet he was not build as Bruce Wayne, I agree casting Keaton as Batman was good.

who?-kid
Sorry if I gave the impression that I was talking to you directly, I was just speaking in general.

TheFilmProphet
Ok lets forgot Daredevil becuase theres a new movie that will be just as bad yup I'm talking about the Fantastic Four starring Jessica Alba? Director of Barbershop? Michael Chicklis? $80 million budget? mad

What's your take on this film?

Joker1237
IT could be good, you never know, I thought Keaton would be a bad Batman, because he just done Mr Mom, and boy Did he give me a heart attack lol

TheFilmProphet
Let me just repeat this one more time I don't you heard right the Fantastic Four starring Jessica Alba? Director of Barbershop? Michael Chicklis? $80 million budget? Dr. Doom actor to be announced

ScarletSpider
So Kingpin was black in the movie? Given Kingpin's origin and background, it really doesn't matter what color he is. He grew up a poor boy in the Bronx, he's just as likely to be white as he is black.

The reason most Marvel Comics characters are white is because they were created in the 1960's by white guys in a very segregated society. Either that or they were retconned 40's characters that were all apple pie red-blooded blond haired blue eyed white guys. The insurgance of black characters happened in the 70's because of the Blaxploitation craze. As a result, characters like Luke Cage, Falcon, Living Lightening, Black Goliath etc. were mostly black characters written by inept white guys trying to make a quick buck. The first respectable black character (IMO) was Black Panther, introduced by Jack Kirby in the 60's. They waited 10 years before giving him his own title, which was largly campy (although it can be argued most comics were in those days), but wasn't as Blaxploitive. Most black characters didn't hit any sort of respectable stride until the 80's and 90's.

Does it matter if Kingpin is black? No it doesn't since New York is such a messed up melting pot of ethnicities, it would be just as likely for him to be a poor white boy, or a poor african american boy.

Manowar
actually Kingpin is approximately 2% body fat...so hes actually has around 350 lbs of muscle (not fat/chubby) big grin

TheFilmProphet
Forget Daredevil I just got done arguing about that for two days how about Batman, Fantastic Four, and Hulk.

who?-kid
Fantastic Four movie will probably suck. I like the comics, but I have this feeling the movie will turn out to be an uninspired weekend film.

But let's hope I"m wrong. It's way too early to decide.

TheFilmProphet
Even if they had the perfect cast and good director FF would still fail because of lack of big budget. So I'm 100 percent sure it will suck and it hurts me to say that because I love the characters so much. sadwalk

Joker1237
you cant be 100 percent sure, who knows?? Maybe it might shock us and become a good film??

who?-kid
I don't think the budget is that big a factor. Don't forget the actors are not on the A-list of Hollywood, so no big parts of the budget will go to a few overpaid actors.

ScarletSpider
I'm hoping it will at least be okay. I don't want to see them as a super-hero group, but more as "imaginauts".

TheFilmProphet
If The Fantastic Four turns out to be a good film then I'll just have a heart attack blowup

TheFilmProphet
Anyone think Ghost Rider will be any good with Nicholas Cage? furious

who?-kid
No, because I don't like Nicolas Cage and I'm not too fond of Ghostrider stick out tongue.

TheFilmProphet
What about Iron Man with Tom Cruise rumored to star?

who?-kid
Could be worse, Tom Cruise is a good actor.

TheFilmProphet
How do you think they will try to make the Iron Man suit look?

who?-kid
I have absolutely no idea.

moshtitan
itll be interesting too see the development of the suit

TheFilmProphet
A while back they said that they wanted to change it because they didn't want him to look like a giant academy award.

Alpha Centauri
I don't want him to look like a giant academy award either. So if they change it but make it great then it doesn't bother me.

-AC

TheFilmProphet
Maybe they can put War Machine in the movie too.

ragesRemorse
man you cant really blame hollywood for the shit of comic book movies. I mean about 80% of all comic books movies have been made by anti-hollywood directors, or fresh young upcomming directors. Because of the success of superman and batman, hollywood has always been enthusiastic about briging diretors with there own vision to the table. I am comming to this conclusion from numerous directors comments. Raimi said it best, He said the studio's told me they hired me because i had cult status with previous films. he said when it comes to movies with and underground or cult following, holloywood likes to open there wings of style and ingenuity. Now i think when hollywood does impose there presence ona comic film then there is no way it is going to have a chance, like batman and robin, this was a script written by hollywood writers. For the most part if a comic movie blows, it blows on it's own, and because of the people involved, not because of hollywood

TheFilmProphet
Those people are Hollywood the writers, actors, producers, and directors so you can't say its the people and not Hollywood because those people are Hollywood.

ragesRemorse
obviously, but i am trying to say that Hollywood usually leaves it up to the directer's and writers totally without forcing in outside writers and producers so they can make sure the movie can be marketable

TheFilmProphet
They should actually consult with people like Stan Lee and Avi Arad before just jumping in and making bad movies like Fantastic Four Daredevil that are done by people who don't give a rats ass if the movie is good or not mad

Creechuur
It seems to me that Hollywood is finally recognizing that you need fans, or at least someone who respects the material, to make a good movie. Look at all the great comic movies of late...Spidey, Hellboy, X-Men, Blade...the people who made those movies either grew up with the character or understood the essence of the comic...or both. The failures are the ones that thought the costume would sell the movie, or that dizzy camera angles and MTV-style editing would mask the horrible choreography.

Hollywood just has to keep in mind that these aren't just flashy people in tights, but really good stories. Raimi did it well in SM 2. There wasn't really that much Spider-Man in the movie, but Peter's messed up life kept the movie going well between the action scenes, almost exactly like the comic.

We as fans need to give moviemakers a little slack too. I mean really, who cares about organic web shooters when the rest of the movie is so good? I have been waiting for these movies for 20 years, and I'm happy to see them finally getting it right.

TheFilmProphet
Your right the best comic book movies come from the people who understand it like Sam Raimi who has been a fan since he was a kid and he even had Spidey painted on the wall of his room when he a kid. Anyway the people who don't understand are just messing it up for everyone because if the movie is bad and doesn't make money then people will be less likely to want to invest money in another comic book movie so everyone loses when they don't respect filmmaking enough to at least try the fans, actors, directors, productions, and the comics all lose.

Spider-Man 1 and 2 best comic movies ever created thanks Raimi big grin

Alpha Centauri
Don't get me wrong, I love the comic book movies and yeah I like em to resemble the people they're playing. But I go and watch these movies to look for wh at's good. Not what's shit. Coz if you look for the bad stuff then you're more often than not, gonna think it's a shit movie.

You can do it with all the Marvel movies. X-Men's plot holes, Spider-Man's mask thing (which did piss me off), The Kingpin being black (which I don't think is a big deal as Scarlet Spider said), Hulk's father.

But it's like with all movies. The Matrix is my favourite of all time yet if you went through that picking out all the mistakes, coz trust me when I say it has one or two, you would think it's the shittest film ever. I concentrate on what I love.

The only time I pay attention to what's shit is if it's SO bad that it ruins the mood. The escapism you get from watching the movie. Kingpin didn't do that to me, not did X-Men 2's plot holes or Hulk's father. The only part of a comic book movie that has pissed me off, in all save for Hulk, was the fact that they feel they need to add this overpowering romantic element. Plus the mask thing in Spider-Man 2 which really wasn't needed. They could have just shown his face to Mary-Jane if they wanted to get the appreciation message across and nail the love thing with one stone. BUT it happened and I view it as a very good movie. Could have been awesome, but was very good.

You'd have alot more fun if you went in and just watched the movie instead of going there ready to tear it apart.

-AC

TheFilmProphet
Your right but sometimes you just can't avoid it like Daredevil which nearly made me blind not just cause Kinpin but because overall it was horrible. Spider-Man 2 the mask thing didn't piss me off could have been avoided but it didn't affect me at all. As for going in tearing up movies thats sometimes wrong because sometimes they tear up themselves like Batman 4.

Alpha Centauri
"Spider-Man 2 the mask thing didn't piss me off could have been avoided but it didn't affect me at all. As for going in tearing up movies thats sometimes wrong because sometimes they tear up themselves like Batman 4."

Yeah but in a movie like Daredevil, where nothing besides Ben Affleck And Michael Clarke Duncan are MAJORLY apparant, you can enjoy it still coz the roles are well played.

-AC

who?-kid

TheFilmProphet
Obiously Daredevil and Kingpin are the two most important characters so how can you say that besides them the roles were played well.

Alpha Centauri

TheFilmProphet
If you want to lie to yourself like that thats fine with me smile

ragesRemorse
Affleck was average this is true, but comeon daredevil is an above average character, there was just many emotions in DD's personality that affleck cannot portray in film. Truthfully i was a bit surprised in his prormance, because i diddnt give him a chance from the time i heard he was going to be playing the man without fear, however overall i dont think he had any business playing DD. edward norton would have been a good DD.

Yeah and agreeing with the above statements in referring to you have to have someone who understands the heros, and appreciates them is very important, look at the Hulk, that is what happens when you have someone who diddnt know anything about the Hulk untill he was approached to do the film

FeceMan
'Cause he's blind.

Creechuur
"You'd have alot more fun if you went in and just watched the movie instead of going there ready to tear it apart."

Truer words were never spoken Alpha C. I don't pay good money for a movie ticket or DVD just so I can tear it a new one. Its funny to me that all of these critical fans of Sci-Fi/Fantasy and comics are missing the main ingredient that makes the genres work...suspension of disbelief. If youre not willing to let the movie take you on a ride and have a little fun, if youre too worried about small detail X being not exactly like it is in the comics, then I think you should be spending your time watching Court TV and playing armchair lawyer than watching these fine (if not perfect) films.

TheFilmProphet
How Very true, not wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.